Movie review-Bol

ashdoc

Country flag
SPOILER ALERT !!

If the director wanted to make a statement against the population explosion in Pakistan , then he makes it in a brutal and convoluted manner.....

......Or so it seems.....

......Or more probably , its the reality of Pakistan--a country going to the dogs anyway......

In a country which abounds in religious fanatics , its a story of one of them....

Not a jehadi , but a commonplace religious fanatic.....

He is a guy who produces seven daughters in the hope of getting a son ; a person who beats up his daughters and wife ; refuses to send his daughters to school beyond fifth grade ; does not even watch films ; and has a murderous bent about him , especially in matters of religion.....

......And the amazing thing is that , he is considered an ultra-respectable gent ; a pillar of the community in his area !! A person to be trusted with the safekeeping of the community funds !! More proof of Pakistan going to the dogs ??

His reputation is built on his religiosity , and the fact that subcontinental peoples have a remarkable respect for doctors--even the native variety ; and this fellow is a hakeem......

Misfortune falls upon the hakeem as one of his children turns out to be a eunuch....

Though his sisters lavish love and affection on their...err...' brother ' , he cannot go against nature , and falls in love with his sister's boyfriend.....

.....Prompting her to send him to a place outside home--Big mistake !! He is raped by men who prey on such unfortunates.....

This sends his hakeem father in a murderous rage in which he kills his eunuch ' son '.

The story takes incredible convolutions after this--To bribe the police in order not to go to jail for the murder, hakeem sahib has to steal from the community funds that he has for safekeeping , and to give them back to the community, he has to go to a pimp.....

The pimp makes an unbelievable deal with the hakeem--he says ( and would you believe it !! ) '' you sleep one night with my most beautiful prostitute , Meena--for you have a reputation for producing daughters ; and daughters are needed to keep us in business in future generations !! '' In return for this ' favour ', he is ready to give the money.....

But the conscience of the hakeem forces him to cajole Meena into sending the newborn daughter to him to prevent her from being a prostitute . But the pimps hoodlums come to his house to take the girl back--prompting the godfearing hakeem to try to kill the daughter ; this , in turn forces his rebellious older daughter to kill him.....

Phew !!.....

As if this was not enough , she does not say anything in her own defence in court , but asks that she be allowed to tell her story on TV just before she is hanged--and then she vomits out the whole story.....
What was the need for the director to resort to this final melodrama ?? Why could she not vomit out the story in courtroom itself ?? God ( oh , I mean allah ) knows.....

Oh , I forgot--all this is to prove that producing too many children is wrong.....Now WTF !!

The movie is dark ,depressing , and full-to-dimaag-ko-tension...

Verdict--if you have a perversion for perverted movies ( I do !! ) , then this might work for you....

Blackwater

Parki always makes porkis movies. They think they can compete with India in movies. we should bycot all parkis actors or singers. Let them sing and act in there filthy industry

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Lol doc. No one would be wasting time on it now. Thanks for bearing the torture on behalf of all of us.

bhogta

Come on , may be little bit too much but still he try to tell people about so many wrong thing. How many Pakistani dare to do that type of thing. We should support him.

Oracle

SPOILER ALERT !!

If the director wanted to make a statement against the population explosion in Pakistan , then he makes it in a brutal and convoluted manner.....

......Or so it seems.....

......Or more probably , its the reality of Pakistan--a country going to the dogs anyway......

In a country which abounds in religious fanatics , its a story of one of them....

Not a jehadi , but a commonplace religious fanatic.....

He is a guy who produces seven daughters in the hope of getting a son ; a person who beats up his daughters and wife ; refuses to send his daughters to school beyond fifth grade ; does not even watch films ; and has a murderous bent about him , especially in matters of religion.....

......And the amazing thing is that , he is considered an ultra-respectable gent ; a pillar of the community in his area !! A person to be trusted with the safekeeping of the community funds !! More proof of Pakistan going to the dogs ??

His reputation is built on his religiosity , and the fact that subcontinental peoples have a remarkable respect for doctors--even the native variety ; and this fellow is a hakeem......

Misfortune falls upon the hakeem as one of his children turns out to be a eunuch....

Though his sisters lavish love and affection on their...err...' brother ' , he cannot go against nature , and falls in love with his sister's boyfriend.....

.....Prompting her to send him to a place outside home--Big mistake !! He is raped by men who prey on such unfortunates.....

This sends his hakeem father in a murderous rage in which he kills his eunuch ' son '.

The story takes incredible convolutions after this--To bribe the police in order not to go to jail for the murder, hakeem sahib has to steal from the community funds that he has for safekeeping , and to give them back to the community, he has to go to a pimp.....

The pimp makes an unbelievable deal with the hakeem--he says ( and would you believe it !! ) '' you sleep one night with my most beautiful prostitute , Meena--for you have a reputation for producing daughters ; and daughters are needed to keep us in business in future generations !! '' In return for this ' favour ', he is ready to give the money.....

But the conscience of the hakeem forces him to cajole Meena into sending the newborn daughter to him to prevent her from being a prostitute . But the pimps hoodlums come to his house to take the girl back--prompting the godfearing hakeem to try to kill the daughter ; this , in turn forces his rebellious older daughter to kill him.....

Phew !!.....

As if this was not enough , she does not say anything in her own defence in court , but asks that she be allowed to tell her story on TV just before she is hanged--and then she vomits out the whole story.....
What was the need for the director to resort to this final melodrama ?? Why could she not vomit out the story in courtroom itself ?? God ( oh , I mean allah ) knows.....

Oh , I forgot--all this is to prove that producing too many children is wrong.....Now WTF !!

The movie is dark ,depressing , and full-to-dimaag-ko-tension...

Verdict--if you have a perversion for perverted movies ( I do !! ) , then this might work for you....
Another excellent review. WhereTF is Raja Sen of rediff, he needs to learn a lot.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
I think it will be tiring to watch 2 hours of preachy backtalk and intermittent slapping. I'll let this one pass.

ashdoc

Country flag
Inspite of the review , there is no doubt that this is a brave film .

In fact ,the director has to be congratulated for his remarkable candour in presenting the truth about Pakistan--something that his Pakistani compatriots are loath to admit ,especially when confronted by Indians , but even otherwise , as someone like me , who visits the Pakistani and Turkish forums knows only too well....

While we Indians are the perpetual arch-enemies in front of whom any admission of the inferiority and problems of Pakistan is anathema for most Pakistanis , even when not confronted by Indians , most Pakistanis are reluctant to admit that theirs is a failed society , if not state .

So BOL comes as a refreshing breeze of truth from the land of the enemy--a movie that does not mince words while critisizing the treatment of women , the untrammelled increase in unsustainable population , and the religious causes of all these problems . This is especially true in light of the snuffing out of the voice of anybody who dares to go against religion to solve any problem in the land of the pure--like Salman Taseer found out at the cost of his life.....

The director has even roped in the Pakistani president for a special appearance to support his message of population control--and the movie , happily has become the most watched Pakistani movie ever.....

The director earlier movie KHUDA KE LIYE , was also remarkably honest in showing the truth about Pakistani men .

Both these films are going to be bad for the image of Pakistan abroad , yet it is only by confronting the truth that Pakistan can come out of its mess , if at all......

So to the director one must say , may your tribe increase !!

Blackwater

bol is a gud movie
see it from neutral prospect
after seen critic review on this forum ,i decided to see bol, i liked the movie becoz it shows reality of pakis and their mentality....

today pakis are very happy and proud by saying hum 18 crore logo ka mulk ha.

but they dont realized , if u dont give them good education,food,water,medical,shelter,all those 18 crore will become Taliban and jihadis

Global Defence

New threads

Articles