Indian dinner menu

t_co

Would like to make a decent Punjabi dinner for an Indian professor and his wife. As far as I know, they are non-veg.

Any tips on what dishes I should practice before I invite them over?

Blackwater

Would like to make a decent Punjabi dinner for an Indian professor and his wife. As far as I know, they are non-veg.

Go to you tube, see butter chiken and pindi chole

shinoj

Tihar Jail
Banned
You should have gone for your Native CHinese Dishes. Being an Indian they would have had enough of Indian Food.

Something like Chicken Hakka Noodles or Shezchwan or Chopsey or something..

happy

If it's not too late do practise on your lassi. It is a must for a good Punjabi Meal.

Neil

Country flag
try out chicken biryani, its much easier than making curries and taste great.

Neo

Typical desi dinner has a meat dish, a veg dish, salad and pickles and rice and roti.

Starter: chicken tikka with mint sauce
Main cource: lamb biryani with raita
Side dish: sarson da saag and makki di roti
And Daal Makhani with chapati
Pyaz ki chaat
Gajjar ka achar
Drinks: mangi lassi and nibu pani with mint
Dessert: kheer or firni

Doodh patti ki chai

Blackwater

Typical desi dinner has a meat dish, a veg dish, salad and pickles and rice and roti.

Starter: chicken tikka with mint sauce
Main cource: lamb biryani with raita
Side dish: sarson da saag and makki di roti
And Daal Makhani with chapati

Pyaz ki chaat
Gajjar ka achar
Drinks: mangi lassi and nibu pani with mint
Dessert: kheer or firni

Doodh patti ki chai
do people in pakistan eat those???

t_co

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, dinner is this weekend, will post photos.

As for why we are doing this, the professor was the one who suggested it - he wants to bring a Chinese dish or two.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The first thing is to ascertain if they are Punjabis or from some other part of India.

For instance, if you serve Amritsari Fish to a person from the coastal area. that would be a mistake.

The Coastal Area chaps would think that the funeral rites (Indian style - burning) of the fish has been performed!

Notwithstanding, all the best for your meal preparation and wishing you and your guests bon appétit!

Last edited:

Blackwater

Ofcourse, these are extremely popular Punjabi dishes.
ok i asked becoz i thought u people dont eat pure veg. u always add some meat in veg dishes. like keema-aaloo, keema-daal(haleem) ,ghost-aaaloo etc etc

Neo

ok i asked becoz i thought u people dont eat pure veg. u always add some meat in veg dishes. like keema-aaloo, keema-daal(haleem) ,ghost-aaaloo etc etc
That's a misperception. Ofcourse we love meat and combine it with a large variety of veggies but some veggies are served without meat because that is the beauity of it. Dumm ke alu (Bombay alu), sarson ka saag, cholai ka saag, phalli, bhindi, teenda, kaerela, arvi are usually cooked without meat.

Btw, meat is a luxury for middle and upper class these days. The poor can only afford a chicken once in a while.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Ideal would be a Tandoori chicken.= the all time favourite!

And some hot buttered Naan!

ladder

Country flag
That's a misperception. Ofcourse we love meat and combine it with a large variety of veggies but some veggies are served without meat because that is the beauity of it. Dumm ke alu (Bombay alu), sarson ka saag, cholai ka saag, phalli, bhindi, teenda, kaerela, arvi are usually cooked without meat.

Btw, meat is a luxury for middle and upper class these days. The poor can only afford a chicken once in a while.
Unfortunately yes. We in the sub continent should give importance to cheap animal protein so that poor can take in every day diet.

With chicken prices to sky rocketing, some other sources should be looked at which should be easy and cheap to rear.

Emu and Japanese Quail rearing should be looked at.

http://www.worldpoultry.net/PageFiles/30137/001_boerderij-download-WP6285D01.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Neo

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles