Indian Automotive Sector

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Tata Motors reveals future platform strategy

Tata Motors, in the not too distant future, will go from its current six platforms to just two. Done to give the company greater economy of scale, both these new platforms will be modular in nature and adaptable enough to build cars and SUVs of different shapes and sizes.

The first of these is called AMP (Advanced Modular Platform). Similar in concept to VW’s MQB, it is made up of 15 individual modules that can be put together to form a complete car. The size is variable too. The floor pan, for example, can be scaled for length, width, track and wheelbase (track and wheelbase each variable by more than 100mm). The first car off this next-generation platform is likely to be in showrooms by 2018 and Tata CEO Guenter Butschek says there are likely to be up to eight individual models produced on this platform.

The list of models includes hatchbacks, sedans, people movers and SUVs. Tata says commonality between the parts will be extremely high - as high as 80 percent - and that key modules like the front and rear axles, powertrains, HVAC modules, etc will contribute to 70 percent of the vehicle cost. Like VW’s MQB, the distance from the firewall to the front-wheel axis will be the only portion that is fixed, and the platform will be able to accept both three-and four-cylinder engines. There will be manual and automatic gearboxes available and the new platform will consist of a flat floor for maximum legroom in the rear.

Tata also claims the weight of the new platform is down a huge 170kg from the current one and this is likely to impact both performance and efficiency. In addition, provision has also been made for hybrid powertrains in future.

The second platform in the portfolio will be based on Land Rover’s L550, the one that currently underpins the Discovery Sport. This larger platform is likely to spawn higher-end vehicles, like the Q501 recently caught testing, and will include larger SUVs and soft-roaders. It is likely to come with the option of four-wheel drive, independent rear suspension and other more sophisticated features like radar-based cruise control.

While Tata insiders say there will be no new body-on-frame platform for now, Tata’s frame- based architecture, seen on the Hexa and updated Safari, is relatively new and, if required, the company will explore synergies with its Commercial Vehicle portfolio which will still use this ‘load-bearing’ architecture in the future .

One thing's for sure though, with AMP, Tata Motors will join an illustrious list of global manufacturers that are now adopting similar modular architectures like VW Group’s (MQB), Toyota (TNGA), etc. What remains to be seen is how effectively Tata can exploit this new platform.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-news/tata-motors-reveals-future-platform-strategy-404105.aspx

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
By Tata Motors
Tata Motors becomes FUTUREADY with the all-new powerful 1000 bhp PRIMA Race Truck
This behemoth race truck will be showcased at the T1 PRIMA TRUCK RACING CHAMPIONSHIP this weekend

• Most powerful truck ‘Built in India’
  • Power of 1000 bhp, with an acceleration of 0-160 km/hour within 10 seconds
  • Similar to global race trucks that compete in the UK and Europe, under FIA
Entering season 4 of the T1 PRIMA TRUCK Racing Championship and in keeping true to its commitment of introducing first-of-its-kind initiatives as leaders in the Indian commercial vehicles space, Tata Motors will showcase an all-new powerful 1000 bhp T1 PRIMA race truck in Season 4 of the championship.

SPECIFICATIONS OF 1000 bhp RACE TRUCK

• Engine – 1040 HP, 12 litre engine mounted in the centre of the chassis for equal weight distributions over axles.
  • Gearbox – 16 speed gear box with hydraulic assisted gear shifting which gives comfort to the driver while shifting the gears
  • Chassis – Box type frame, specially made with 2 cross members only Sub-frame – reinforced with frame to enhance structural rigidity of frame, as well for packaging components
  • Racing Seat – Inclined (slipping mode) type
  • Steering Wheel – Detachable type fitted with 20-degree castor angle for better steer-ability and self-centring at corners.
  • Cabin – Day Cab fitted with Roll Cage
  • Engine Cooling System – Intercooler mounted vertically & Inclined mounted Radiator with 2 cooling fans inside the closed duct. Additional nozzles for water spray on Radiator & Intercooler to enhance cooling efficiency.
  • Braking – Front & Rear Axle mounted with Disc type brakes for higher braking efficiency & speedy cooling
  • Tyres & Wheel Rims – Racing specific slick type smooth tread tyres
  • Suspensions – 2 Leaf springs, pneumatic shock absorbers with 3 adjustment & displacement sensors
  • Brake Disc Cooling – Air pressurised water fed to brake discs through sensor based Nozzle Jets. Primary cooling through continuous water flow & secondary jet operated automatically on increase of Brake Disc Temp. Arrangement has 3 Aluminium Tanks with a total capacity 180 litres of water.
  • Fuel System– Light-weight 80 litre aluminium tank and fuel cooler
  • Power cut off switch – Mounted at rear, operated manually, as well as mechanically.
  • Electronics system – App Based (Wi-Fi enabled) remotely controlled diagnosis.
  • Driver Information System – Provision of Rear View Camera, GPS etc. Display unit with Touch Screen
With over double the power in comparison to the T1 race trucks competing in season 4, the all-new 1000 bhp T1 PRIMA race truck will further add exciting dimensions of speed and character to T1. Similar to race trucks that compete under the broad umbrella of the FIA in the United Kingdom and Europe, the all-new 1000 bhp T1 race truck is a perfect example of the capability and flexibility of Tata Motors next-generation World Truck, the Tata PRIMA.

The engine of the all-new 1000 bhp T1 race truck is being developed in collaboration with Cummins Inc. of the U.S., a world leader in diesel engines, enabling Tata Motors to not only set new benchmarks in T1 and the sport of truck racing, but in the Indian commercial vehicles space. The new T1 race truck is the most powerful truck built in India by far.

Developed to deliver unmatched power and acceleration of 0-160 km/hour within 10 seconds and a torque of 3500 Nm @ 1600 – 2200 rpm, the new T1 race truck is based on a 12 litre ISGe Cummins engine, mounted in the center of the chassis for equal weight distribution, with enhanced fuel delivery and air flow, producing 1040 HP @ 2600 rpm. The power is managed by an all-new ZF 16-speed gear box, making it fastest race truck developed by Tata Motors. With high performance rotating parts made of special materials, the engine is meant to withstand high temperature & pressure that a race truck is subject to on a race track.

Speaking at the occasion, Mr. Ravindra Pisharody, Executive Director – Commercial Vehicles, Tata Motors, said, “After having hosted three successive T1 seasons, we at Tata Motors are happy to announce our next big innovation in the form of the 1000 bhp T1 PRIMA race truck. Built with specifications similar to that of trucks that race globally, the vehicle was developed in a record time 12 months – a demonstration of teamwork, speed and capability. With this new track based machine, we are truly ahead of contemporary; we are FUTURE READY and through T1 we’ve proved time and again to showcase a distinctive partnership between sporting and technological excellence for the Tata Motors brand.”

In India, Tata Motors and Cummins Inc., USA, have a joint venture company called Tata Cummins Pvt. Ltd., established in 1994, developing high performance, reliable and durable engines in the range of 75 to 400 HP, that not only comply with current and future emission norms, but are also serviceable globally. The company has its state-of-the-art facility in Jamshedpur, aligning itself with the world-class manufacturing standards, consistently exceeded customer expectations.
Season 4 will also see accomplished racers from FIA’s European Truck Racing Championship (ETRC) competing in the championship for the very first time.

The ETRC will be represented by six racers from the rest of Europe, who will compete in the PRO CLASS category alongside six British drivers from the British Truck Racing Association (BTRA), who have raced in T1 since the sport was first introduced in 2014. Among these are Spanish Antonio Albacete, three time ETRC Champion (2005, 2006 & 2010), Hungarian Nobert Kiss, two time ETRC Champion (2014 & 2015) and T1’s first woman driver Stephanie Halm.

In Season 4, Tata Motors has also partnered with some of the country’s leading automotive brands. These are WABCO – Official Braking Technology Partner, JK Tyre – Official Tyre Partner, Castrol – Official Lubricant Partner, Cummins – Official Engine Technology Partner and Tata Technologies – Official Technology Partner.

India’s only truck racing championship is organised by Madras Motor Sports Club (MMSC), with safety and performance standards as per the guidelines of the British Truck Racing Association (BTRA). Conducted under the aegis of FIA & FMSCI, the T1 Prima Truck Racing Championship will feature Tata PRIMA race trucks, built for the purpose. A one-make championship, six teams will compete in the PRO CLASS CATEGORY of the T1 PRIMA Truck Racing Championship.

Season 4 of the T1 PRIMA Truck Racing Championship will be held on Sunday, March 19, 2017, at the Buddh International Circuit (BIC), Greater Noida.

About Tata Motors:

Tata Motors Limited is India’s largest automobile company, with consolidated revenues of INR 2,75,561 crores (USD 41.6 billion) in 2015-16. Through subsidiaries and associate companies, Tata Motors has operations in the UK, South Korea, Thailand, South Africa and Indonesia. Among them is Jaguar Land Rover, the business comprising the two iconic British brands. It also has an industrial joint venture with Fiat in India. With over 9 million Tata vehicles plying in India, Tata Motors is the country’s market leader in commercial vehicles and among the top in passenger vehicles. Tata cars, buses and trucks are being marketed in several countries in Europe, Africa, the Middle East, South Asia, South East Asia, South America, Australia, CIS and Russia.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Jaguar is not Indian company mate. No need for us to be proud of their technical achievement.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Dil behalane ke liye khayal acha hai Ghalib... Wish we had similar technical superiority and eco-system to sustain such high end mechanical industries in India.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Bhai hmmpphh.. sab dikhwa hai. Kaafi insider news maan lo bas.
Is there any logic or just "bs dikhava" type responses.
If you are in so much love with foreign cars, go and buy them, why wasting our time?

Ye toh bs dikhava hai.
Our sweat worths gutter no matter what it could achieve while white man's fart is sweet.
Okay?

Reactions: SKC

TPFscopes

Rest in Peace
Jaguar is not Indian company mate. No need for us to be proud of their technical achievement.
We proud on its owner (Company).
We proud those who has the biggest steel industry in UK.
We proud on those 36% Indian scientists who plays a vital role in NASA.
THERE ARE MANY THINGS RELATED TO INDIA , WHICH MAKES US PROUD.
Indian hokar videshi jhanda, I feel shy on you

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
We proud on its owner (Company).
We proud those who has the biggest steel industry in UK.
We proud on those 36% Indian scientists who plays a vital role in NASA.
THERE ARE MANY THINGS RELATED TO INDIA , WHICH MAKES US PROUD.
Indian hokar videshi jhanda, I feel shy on you
UNESCO has declared the Indian National Anthem Jana Gana Mana to be the best in the world, and we are also proud on that .
Inspite of being Indian we are communicating in non native language.

There are many things related to India, which do makes us proud but those achievement should be indigenous. Powertrain , suspension design, engine design, and further critical system components . sensor designs, MEMS, list goes on and on , and we do not have technical expertise on any of these. Jaguar comprises mostly of British and European brains. Owning the enterprise does not make achievement as ours. It is as arab world boasting about innovation done by some tech enterprise in silicon valley, where they have heavily invested.

Go and check top business corporates, how they are expanding, through M&A or through real R&D.

Further no need to feel anything for me. I do not need to prove my nationalism to any of you.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
Is there any logic or just "bs dikhava" type responses.
If you are in so much love with foreign cars, go and buy them, why wasting our time?
How does anyone's love with anything has any relation with technical expertise ?

Ye toh bs dikhava hai.
Our sweat worths gutter no matter what it could achieve while white man's fart is sweet.
Okay?
Our sweat matters as much as others. Do not plagiarise and take other man's credit.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
UNESCO has declared the Indian National Anthem Jana Gana Mana to be the best in the world, and we are also proud on that .
Not really, Indians are not pakis, they feel Proud only on "measurable" things and Anthem has nothing to with that.
How does anyone's love with anything has any relation with technical expertise ?
I bet you didn't read my post and check previous page.
Our sweat matters as much as others. Do not plagiarise and take other man's credit.
Seriously, you've become frustrating.

Taking others' credit?:crazy:
Avanti, 0.3 RACEMO & Revotron, this wasn't plagiarism.

Hemu Vikram Aditya

Country flag
Not really, Indians are not pakis, they feel Proud only on "measurable" things and Anthem has nothing to with that.

Have you seen the new futuristic look of Tata Nano Pixel it looks sexy

IMG_1293.JPG

IMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1294.JPG

Hiranyaksha

Country flag

This only proves that none of you guys have any experience in manufacturing and high end engineering.

Bravado

Country flag
For your Information
There are 100+ Indian engineers working from last 7-8 years for Jaguar and Land Rover in a Bangalore based engineering and design services firm for following departments;
Chassis
Electrical
Power-train
User Interface
Sheet metals & Trims
NVH
Class A Surfacing (digital Styling of Interiors and Exterior of an automobile)
& many other departments.

I worked onsite in Jaguar & Land Rover, Indians are very well paced in terms of technicality and skill in every department of JLR and i am not talking about UK born Indians. Few of my good friends are still working there.

In the year 2010 ( I was there), Mr, Tata was not happy with the styling of the 2013MY XXXX Land Rover vehicle, he ordered the change, in styling studio everybody was crying. But on launch car was a head turner and was a success

So i think this is high time for you to come out of this sad mindset.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
This only proves that none of you guys have any experience in manufacturing and high end engineering.
Eat your own words!
You never know that member hiding behind this anonymous name is!

Second, me not experienced? Read your own bull$hit post. It's even not related to reply from miles away.

Hiranyaksha

Country flag
For your Information
There are 100+ Indian engineers working from last 7-8 years for Jaguar and Land Rover in a Bangalore based engineering and design services firm for following departments;
Chassis
Electrical
Power-train
User Interface
Sheet metals & Trims
NVH
Class A Surfacing (digital Styling of Interiors and Exterior of an automobile)
& many other departments.

I worked onsite in Jaguar & Land Rover, Indians are very well paced in terms of technicality and skill in every department of JLR and i am not talking about UK born Indians. Few of my good friends are still working there.

In the year 2010 ( I was there), Mr, Tata was not happy with the styling of the 2013MY XXXX Land Rover vehicle, he ordered the change, in styling studio everybody was crying. But on launch car was a head turner and was a success

So i think this is high time for you to come out of this sad mindset.
Really, then we must be living in different worlds.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles