Indian Army Artillery

pmaitra

I have cleaned up the thread. Please control your vocabulary.

Thanks.

sob

Mod
Country flag
I suggest that both @blueblood and @Bhadra take a breather from this thread.

Gentlemen this is not leading anywhere except maybe to the amusement of a few people watching you guys slug out with each other.

blueblood

I suggest that both @blueblood and @Bhadra take a breather from this thread.

Gentlemen this is not leading anywhere except maybe to the amusement of a few people watching you guys slug out with each other.
I have cleaned up the thread. Please control your vocabulary.

Thanks.
Thanks for killing my weekend entertainment. Forum members were expecting some fun times too. :crying:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
The sense i got from watching the above NDTV interview is that the Bharat forge's specialty is in building sub-components and sub-systems,not necessarily re-designing the entire Gun system. Bad news from the interview is that they have built the entire system without even firing it once. That does not sound well. Without testing the whole system is pretty much meaningless. Let's hope better judgement prevails at MoD and allows Bharat forge to test their guns ASAP. Without testing i don't see any hopes of induction in the near future.

Was also surprised to find that they supply wheels to T-72 and T-90 tanks. So does it mean that HVF's are overrated assembly lines with most of the components being procured from external vendors?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
The sense i got from watching the above NDTV interview is that the Bharat forge's specialty is in building sub-components and sub-systems,not necessarily re-designing the entire Gun system. Bad news from the interview is that they have built the entire system without even firing it once. That does not sound well. Without testing the whole system is pretty much meaningless. Let's hope better judgement prevails at MoD and allows Bharat forge to test their guns ASAP. Without testing i don't see any hopes of induction in the near future.

Was also surprised to find that they supply wheels to T-72 and T-90 tanks. So does it mean that HVF's are overrated assembly lines with most of the components being procured from external vendors?

They're trying to fire it. Bharat 52 is in track trials.

Hari Sud

Country flag
This conversation in cyberspace is going nowhere. Let us put our thinking and information hat on a vital piece artillery effectiveness which has not been discussed.

The WLR - Weapons Locating Radar; a number of these were imported from US immediately after 1999 Kargil action. A few years later all of these stopped working. The published reasons were missing spare parts. Can you experts start thinking on these lines. Artillery is important, but so is WLR. So what is happening on that front.

Is Indian copy of WLR is ready and working or we are still waiting for American supplied hardware to start functioning miraculously.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
The WLR - Weapons Locating Radar; a number of these were imported from US immediately after 1999 Kargil action. A few years later all of these stopped working. The published reasons were missing spare parts. Can you experts start thinking on these lines. Artillery is important, but so is WLR. So what is happening on that front.
Who told you ....Saurav Jha ..? or yourself found the WLR is not worked

@bennedose

bennedose

Can somebody else confirm that US imported WLR are in working order?

Let me request Kunal Biswas to reconfirm what this contributor is saying.
Here is Indian defence review in an article about artillery locating radar in the Kargil war: Pakis had them We did not
http://www.indiandefencereview.com/spotlights/battle-winning-role-of-the-gunners-in-kargil-war/
Where possible, guns were tucked in, hugging the slopes, to avoid sighting by enemy’s observation post officers. Guns so deployed, even when located by the gun locating radars, with which the Pakistan artillery had been equipped, could not be effectively hit. It was only when, perforce deployed in the open, that the enemy’s counter-bombardment had to be faced squarely. Regrettably, the Indian artillery did not possess similar radars to silence the enemy guns. Enemy gun positions were fixed through air photos, which is a primitive method in modern warfare.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
A very tight slap on OFB DRDO by BABA KALYANI...
MUST WATCH

blueblood

A very tight slap on OFB DRDO by BABA KALYANI...
MUST WATCH
I am the last guy to defend OFB and DRDO but how is this a slap on their faces?

Kalyani did not, I repeat DID NOT do anything out of the ordinary here. He bought a company and shifted it to India. His other products are essentially license producing foreign designs from Elbit and Mandus group similar to OFB or HAL. Every other company like Tata, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra is offering you the same.

Though I have high hopes for Bharat Forge, so far their contribution is not even a fraction of Tata or Ashok Leyland.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
I am the last guy to defend OFB and DRDO but how is this a slap on their faces?

Kalyani did not, I repeat DID NOT do anything out of the ordinary here. He bought a company and shifted it to India. His other products are essentially license producing foreign designs from Elbit and Mandus group similar to OFB or HAL. Every other company like Tata, Ashok Leyland, Mahindra is offering you the same.

Though I have high hopes for Bharat Forge, so far their contribution is not even a fraction of Tata or Ashok Leyland.
I agree with you but will tell you how is it a slap...

THEY DELIVERED!!!!!

OFB DRDO have not been able to deliver reasons unknown given the fact they had all the state machinery at there disposal.

A gun made under an year and others is a very good time where our OFB has taken years to try and perfect small arms and are still trying.
Dhanush could be an exception but that too is not something out of the box.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles