Indian Army Artillery

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
One line he said leaves me seriously worried I quote "bhai, I'm serious when I say this, our war fighting ability is screwed to say the least". I've been talking to him about remote posts where people go mad due to the sheer pressure of handling posts which can only be supplied by air. The sad part as per him is that the culture is so corrupted that most generals are only concerned about governorships post retirement and spend a lot of time trying to get into the good books of political heavies to gain the same.

blueblood

@bengalraider , this kind of systematic rot is in every major army.
  • For Americans and to some extent Brits, you have your seat in the board of directors of any XYZ arms maker or the "lecture circuit" where your average brigadiers starts earning millions for lecturing some uninterested college students.
  • Less said about PA, PLA or Russian Army the better.
But it is definitely more preventable in Indian Army because unlike those armies India right now has a very concentrated power structure which will have trickle down effect in the coming years. Perks of electing a pseudo-dictator if you will.

Your friend has every right to be worried but I think (could be wrong) that he is not familiar with similar practices worldwide, be it your "allies" or your "foes". Much more so in case of the latter.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
One line he said leaves me seriously worried I quote "bhai, I'm serious when I say this, our war fighting ability is screwed to say the least". I've been talking to him about remote posts where people go mad due to the sheer pressure of handling posts which can only be supplied by air. The sad part as per him is that the culture is so corrupted that most generals are only concerned about governorships post retirement and spend a lot of time trying to get into the good books of political heavies to gain the same.
i'm am assuming this happens in peace times, all over the world. This is bound to happen when we have four decades without a proper war(Technically Kargil is not a war).

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The thing is he's a third generation officer(his wife's also an army kid) and this type of degradation is much more evident to families that grew up as part of the Army. I also had a friend who's an Ex-Garud(part of the trial batch, now a well established businessman) visit last evening, seems there is some truth to the rumors of wife-swapping and similar shenanigans in the navy and air force as well.
Anyhoo Major just left for CI operations in a zone that's recently become quite hot!
Pray for a safe return and a good hunt guys!

Yumdoot

All kinds of people everywhere. A system which gave us Shahbeg Singh also gave us Kuldip Singh Brar. Same culture, Same religion, Same training but different results.

The problem as I see it, stems from the fact that good people spend their time working while useless creeps spend their time like climbing creepers dependent on handouts. One guy enslaves himself to his calling, the other to his masters. Difference of choices.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Questions:
1) Issues actually related to Arjun Tank MK1.
2) Army's Approach towards next Arjun?
3) What about Small Arms will they go with made in India?
4) What about Guns Artillery?
5) His Take on OROP?

These are the general question which anyone here on DFI will want to understand what Army Thinks about these?
Issue related to Arjun - army has already issued RFI for next tank.
Small Arms - DRDO and Army both seems to be confused..
OROP - bureaucratic hurdle - not financial hurdle.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Issue related to Arjun - army has already issued RFI for next tank.
When I said Issues regarding Arjun I wanted to understand the ground issues with Arjun as army has been many times openly criticizing it .
Also the RFI issued is aimed to Kill FMBT Domestic and also Arjun MK2 by ordering more tin cans in the form of T-90.

The only thing that lacks in Arjun Mk1 was a Anti Tank missile which will be there is Arjun MK2.

The demand/requirements made by Army are unrealistic which complicates it all.
When it comes to forun maal they are happy with who so ever give heavy.......************
Small Arms - DRDO and Army both seems to be confused..
Yes they are did u see the requirements laid down by army for the small arms tender recently cancelled
OROP - bureaucratic hurdle - not financial hurdle.
Can u further explain it....???? Manohar sir has categorically stated he is working to resolve this then who is the hurdle and where?

Twinblade

Country flag
However that said the DRDO did develop a rudimentary Railgun in 1993 that was never pursued further than the concept demonstrator stage.
http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/4179
Please read the research paper attached for further information.
http://publications.drdo.gov.in/ojs/index.php/dsj/article/view/4179/2439

From what I understand, DRDO is currently making an electromagnetic gun which is a rail gun and coil gun hybrid as, from whatever little information is available, the gun has both bitter coil based transmission line and rails.

kurup

Country flag

Prashant12

Country flag
JABALPUR: In what would be a shot in the arm for a force that has not had a new 155mm artillery gun inducted since the Bofors, the Indian Army is set to soon be handed over the indigenously-developed howitzer 'Dhanush', also known as 'desi bofors'.

"Dhanush, the indigenously-developed 155mm gun with 45 calibre having advanced features, is likely to be handed over to the army in November this year," Senior General Manager of Jabalpur's Gun Carriage Factory (GCF), NK Sinha, said.

The gun, a towed howitzer with a strike range of 38 km, has been developed by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), Kolkata, after going through the design and voluminous documents running into more than 12,000 pages which were delivered to India under the first phase of Transfer of Technology (ToT) as part of the Bofors gun deal in late 80s, an official said.

Costing about Rs 14 crore apiece, Dhanush is comparable to most current generation weapons systems which are in use by different countries, the official added.

Along with electronic gun-laying and sighting systems and other features, the indigenously-developed gun has an enhanced 11 km range as against the gun range of 27 km of the imported Bofors.

Indian Army had stationed a special team of officers at GCF to help monitor the progress, coordinate proof resources and provide guidance regarding the qualitative requirements vis-a-vis the gun system from the user's perspective, the official said.

"A team from the 506 Army Base Workshop, close to CGF, was constantly providing technical inputs which it acquired for the project for over more than two decades," he added.

The Swedish Bofors company (now owned by Britain's BAE System) could not complete the ToT for the 155mm howitzer with 39 caliber to India as the deal got embroiled in a major political row over alleged kickbacks in 80s.

Subsequently, OFB struggled for a long time to produce the howitzer indigenously despite the fact that it has manufactured and supplied several components or spare parts to keep the Bofors howitzers operational in India, especially during Kargil war.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Shot-in-the-arm-for-army-soon-with-delivery-of-desi-bofors/articleshow/48870453.cms?

Chinmoy

Country flag
JABALPUR: In what would be a shot in the arm for a force that has not had a new 155mm artillery gun inducted since the Bofors, the Indian Army is set to soon be handed over the indigenously-developed howitzer 'Dhanush', also known as 'desi bofors'.

"Dhanush, the indigenously-developed 155mm gun with 45 calibre having advanced features, is likely to be handed over to the army in November this year," Senior General Manager of Jabalpur's Gun Carriage Factory (GCF), NK Sinha, said.

The gun, a towed howitzer with a strike range of 38 km, has been developed by Ordnance Factory Board (OFB), Kolkata, after going through the design and voluminous documents running into more than 12,000 pages which were delivered to India under the first phase of Transfer of Technology (ToT) as part of the Bofors gun deal in late 80s, an official said.

Costing about Rs 14 crore apiece, Dhanush is comparable to most current generation weapons systems which are in use by different countries, the official added.

Along with electronic gun-laying and sighting systems and other features, the indigenously-developed gun has an enhanced 11 km range as against the gun range of 27 km of the imported Bofors.

Indian Army had stationed a special team of officers at GCF to help monitor the progress, coordinate proof resources and provide guidance regarding the qualitative requirements vis-a-vis the gun system from the user's perspective, the official said.

"A team from the 506 Army Base Workshop, close to CGF, was constantly providing technical inputs which it acquired for the project for over more than two decades," he added.

The Swedish Bofors company (now owned by Britain's BAE System) could not complete the ToT for the 155mm howitzer with 39 caliber to India as the deal got embroiled in a major political row over alleged kickbacks in 80s.

Subsequently, OFB struggled for a long time to produce the howitzer indigenously despite the fact that it has manufactured and supplied several components or spare parts to keep the Bofors howitzers operational in India, especially during Kargil war.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Shot-in-the-arm-for-army-soon-with-delivery-of-desi-bofors/articleshow/48870453.cms?
Along with the gun, I think we should also start working on smart ammunition. Smart rounds like Excalibur would make Dhanush even more lethal. Its like giving 'Teer' to 'Dhanush'. :)

blueblood

Indian Army is one of the best army in world. Every day soldiers dies in filed to save our country but what they get and what their families get after them. Please join our cause to help Indian Army Martyrs families. Please donate for them so that they can live a better life.

http://www.voiceofmartyrs.in
Will gladly do if you can provide some kind of recognition from DGR or Sainik Board or any other authority.

Thanks You.

blueblood

Thanks for your interest sir. For more information you can visit our website there we have updated all letters which we have written to home ministry for same issue. And we have posted image and videos also related to same. We are a registered NGO which is helping martyrs families in form of cash or by other things from last many years. Now on 23 September we are again planning a candle march in Delhi with martyrs families so that Government can hear their voice.

http://www.voiceofmartyrs.in
You misunderstand me sir. Most here want to help but are exercising caution. All we need is some kind of verification from any relevant government authority and no I am not talking about the registration. Any thing to verify the authenticity of your organization not legal but ethical.

So please clarify these things so that moderators can make an appeal on your behalf. My apologies for insisting.

@sob , Can this be done?

blueblood

Hello Sir

I understand your point. Can you please make me a call on below mentioned number so that we can clarify the things in better way or please give me your cell number so that i can contact you.

+91 94669 83525; +91 9316131225 ( Vijay Sangwan )

Thanks
Thanks for the contact details.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles