Indian Air Force: News & Discussions

varun9509

Country flag
Please don't mind my previous comment, I didn't research about it first. Turns out it is already on the table.

Sent from my YU5510 using Tapatalk

Vinod DX9

Country flag
20171016232826.jpg

#Big_Breaking

India has made an official request to purchase two ISTAR aircraft under a government-to-government deal. The move comes within a month of U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis’ visit to India. A formal letter of request was sent to the U.S. Defense Department earlier this month expressing intent to procure two intelligence, surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance aircraft via the Foreign Military Sales program, a Ministry of Defense official said. India-specific ISTAR aircraft for the Air Force will be equipped with active electronically scanned array radar that can scan more than a 30,000-kilometer area in a minute, and analyze data and identify the target in 10 to 15 minutes. The deal is estimated to cost $1 billion and will be a Gulfstreem platform

Image for representation

Vinod DX9

Country flag
Ok,while discussing on Rafale, one of my friends sent this video. Posting here.... Comnent is there really such thing?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

People need to investigate PC-7 Basic Trainer Aircraft deal ..

Butter Chicken

Country flag
Excerpt from an interview regarding F-16 and F-18 deals with India

What’s on the horizon now?
We have very transformational offers for two advanced fighter jets – F-16 and F-18 in partnership with industry. The proposals have pre-positioned US government approvals for co-production and tech transfer, which is unprecedented for us. Previously, denials were automatic because India is not an ally but now we treat India as if it were. Normally approvals come after the request is made. But India said that was not helpful and challenged us to pre-position [pre-approve] and we worked for two years with both Lockheed Martin and Boeing to develop proposals for Make in India. I led the first briefing in April 2016. The Ministry of Defence asked very significant questions and we drilled down another level. This past February, I did another set of briefings. Now we are waiting for formal RFPs [Request for Proposals]. It can come any day now.

What about advanced technology?

Decisions on the most advanced capabilities will be incorporated over time… not immediately transferred to India. The US is conservative about sharing radar technology for national security reasons. I don’t believe there are any significant surprises in what will or not be transferred. It is a significant beginning as we continue to build trust.India hasn’t signed what were once called 'foundational agreements' but are now rebranded as 'enabling agreements'.The Government of India wanted a different term. They were part of the discussion in recent meetings. Secretary of Defence Mattis in a very subtle way showed he was aware of them and put some emphasis. We need to find a way to move forward on them at the right time… find innovative ways to work through them… when the time is right politically.

How does their absence impact the defence relationship?
The absence of these agreements is not ideal. Our industries can’t share classified industrial information with the government of India and its industries. That complicates timelines and our ability to move swiftly forward. We have to find workarounds, which are not easily available. Then there is the thoroughness issue. These issues are well understood by India. We have been successful in working around these obstacles but this will not be sustainable as we ramp up. It will become apparent if and when the F-16/F-18 programmes move together.

What if India doesn’t choose the F-16?
It would be a significant disappointment.
Just to develop these Make in India proposals took two years of intense work, to demonstrate DTTI and move beyond MMRCA, to demonstrate this is a new relationship... It would begin fatigue in our prime industries, not only in Boeing and Lockheed. But that is speculation. We have had successes – Apache helicopters and M777 howitzers – but the programmes were extended 12 or 13 times. I don’t fully understand the decision-making process but I know there is incredible anxiety within the bureaucracy on making a deal.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...-place-keith-webster/articleshow/61138040.cms

indus

Living in Post Truth
Country flag
Today 17 planes including C130J are going to touchdown at Agra Lucknow expressway. All the Best IAF

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
upload_2017-10-26_21-15-45.png

When junk fighters like Mig-21&27's and Jaguars we will be left with
272 sukhois @ 16 plane per suqad---17 squadrons
Mig-29---3 Squadrons
Mirage-2000's---3 squadrons
36 Rafales @18 planes---2 squadrons
At the end 25 squadrons by 2022-25
We don't know how many tejas will be delivered because i don't trust HAL.

sbm

Country flag
View attachment 21267
Mig-29---3 Squadrons
Jaguar upgrade will keep close to 6 squadrons beyond 2022-25.

Reactions: Kay

aliyah

can someone tell which is the weakest structural spot in F16 ??? can 1 IED or very small hand held bomb destroy complete plane or make it useless??

Chinmoy

Country flag
View attachment 21267
Mig-29---3 Squadrons
The steps which are under the Interim Measures column is actually the Permanent Measures which are carried out by every air force. To put them under Interim Measures shows the lackadaisical attitude of IAF or plain stupidity of author.

Under planned induction, we would be receiving 1st Rafale by 2018 as per contract and the whole order delivery has to be completed in 5 years period.
Author again has perceived the Tejas delivery in current perspective.

Under future plans, it seems number 200 got diminished to 114 eventually.
Another 36 Rafales is only in theory now.
IAF has yet to show any concrete step towards developmental support of AMCA.
FGFA deal was in limbo for last 1 decade. Nothing new in it.

Its high time that, rather then reporting such half baked and uncooked news, our journalists should start behaving in a matured way.

tsunami

Country flag
View attachment 21267
Mig-29---3 Squadrons
I believe the image wrongly predicts the situation on 2027 with just 28 squadron.

We are planing 270+ SU30 MKI atleast with 18 fighter each squadron. Which means 15 squadron at least.
2 Squadron of Rafale with 18 fighter each will be delivered.
2 Squadron of LCA Tejas Mk-1 will surely be delivered by then.

And only Mig-21 and Mig 27 to be retired in next 1 decade.

This means
SU 30 MKI -- 15 Squadron
Rafale -- 2
LCA Tejas MK1 -- 2
Mig-29 -- 3
Mirage -- 3
Jaguar --5

That means 30 squadron.

If we add 4 squadron of LCA tejas MK1A to the list it will be 34 by that time. Also if we increase numbers of Rafale and SU30 MKI we can have aprox 38 squadron with in next 1 decade.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles