BSF shot dead teenagers trying to exfilterate to Pakistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmaitra

Dead body never looks beautiful, particularly when a person dies a violent death. And yes BSF must shoot anything that moves on India's border if that's what it takes to protect Indian lives.
My parents are Indian tax payers and hence I have it on their authority to question the BSF :p
IMHO, both the above posts are valid. What followed are posts #37, #38 and #39 which are absolutely unnecessary in this thread. Perhaps the MODs can decide on those.

Let's keep this discussion a cool headed one.

JayATL

Guys, go easy, will ya?

JayATL,

you're making the fundamental mistake of assuming we have a 'Shoot-To-Kill' at sight orders? Where do we have a Shoot-To-Kill policy? We have it nowhere. You got it from some journalistic gibberish written by a 'Brad Adams' for the Guardian.

Sure, the BSF may be a lil' 'trigger-happy' at times. But it is not a matter of policy. The average profile of the border-crosser is one of illegal immigrant or criminal intent. Smugglers do not make up the vast majority. We do not have the capacity to track every alien in this country, given as we do not have a sophisticated National Registry or database, such as the one in the United States. We are beginning to develop one now <and one that will be even more sophisticated than the United States'> and complete with biometric information, etc. that will make the task of border policing and deportation even more easy. But, as of now, we do not have the capacity or infrastructure to house the hundreds of illegal immigrants that attempt to cross the border. It is BSF policy to, try and first, apprehend the intruder/interloper. But what happens if he trys to make a run? Given that the average profile of the illegal immigrant is that of felonious intent, it is BSF policy to shoot-to-kill when he can not be caught.

Perhaps, in the future, when India and Bangladesh work together to reduce border trafficking, we can build the institutions necessary to house those who attempt to cross, pending deportation. But we have no interest in, and cannot, do it at our own cost.

Besides, many of those who attempt to cross have no proper documentation, no ration-cards or identification. How do you deal with them in such a situation? Particularly when, the country in question refuses to acknowledge them as citizens.

There are prohibitory orders installed on the Indo-Bangladesh border from sunrise to sunset, and the people are informed of it. It is the BSF's duty to upkeep those prohibitory orders.

Besides there has been a drastic come-down in numbers. There have been only 3 death from Aug-Dec last year, compared with 109 in 2009.

pmaitra, you have no idea. Long arduous marches, rigorous training regimens and until recently, lack of proper, basic equipment. You haven't seen 'human suffering', until you've seen it @ the BSF.
If you are right ray , then the all the tripping out I have done_ i will myself say is idiotic. But this statement below is posted not only in the guardian by several other publications. which should make you wonder - if that policy was just a perception -- then WHY was such a statement neccesary ? you follow me? why if it was all propaganda BS about a shoot all on sight policy- why then have a need to issue such a statement.

Under pressure, senior Indian officials have expressed revulsion at the behaviour of the BSF and have promised to send new orders to end the shoot-to-kill policy. They have committed to use nonviolent means to apprehend illegal border crossers or smugglers where they pose no risk to life
Finally Ray , if it was untrue that such a policy existed, why are we seeing pictures of kids being shot on barb wires and the request from BD govt to please reconsider the current rules of engagement? If they did not have such a policy then the BSF guards who shot that girl on the barb wire, shot against the standard rules of engagement ? and as such BSF guards who shot her need to be charged with homicide and dereliction of direct orders and rules of engagement. you agree? we can't have the cake and eat it...

Last edited:

ganesh177

Country flag
This is the stated condition written. If it is not, first of all civilians are NOT ALLOWED that close to the borders especially the villagers nearby since all the countries in South Asia maintain this for them that "foreign country is dangerous side. don't go" vis a vis our neighbours (barring Nepal and Bhutan who have OPEN BORDERS agreements with us). Those who do attempt to cross, come in illegally and they know that in India laws are lax so they try to blend in. Illegal immigration is a nuisance mate. 20 million already and we don't want more scum just because WESTERN Human Rights thinks so. If they want, they can take our 20 million illegals and love them 'humanely'. US already has only 350 million while we have 1.14 billion. They can certainly afford 20 million more. :D

Fair enough, but geo-political realities force us to take the necessary and sometimes undesirable steps.

You do know that jihadi terror also stems from Bangladesh into our side don't you? Call this ISI's offshoots but they have sleeper cells in Bangladesh as well and hence promote terrorism in our region. The thing is you don't know how it is here: the Bangladesh-India border is covered with marshy and swampy areas and lush greenery with thickets.. it is very difficult to identify and do those US style legal procedures due to this. ANd most illegals try to come in by night.

Now this is immature and rosy-eyed of you (underlined part). How do you know that this guy is a terrorist? First of all, it is not 1 or 2 who cross in. There are hundreds who use the difficult terrain to cross in. That is a nuisance. We cannot question and capture each and everyone. We did that earlier in 90s and before but this crossed the line and was not proving effective. So the new procedure.

We already have a hostile and dubious neighbourhood to even care about what image others think of around our neighbourhood. This image obsession is the reason we had mini-carnivals since last 5 years and the mega carnival on 26/11. Sorry but the "Rights" brigade can simply take in our illegals if they are so concerned. We are not. Our region already has enough troubles than it is worth and hence we cannot exactly afford to have in more rogues in.

USA should try living between a terrorist Islamist state, an expansionist Communist tyranny both of whom are nuclear armed, a beggar radical swampy state, a tiny aggressive island nation and all these having their own wings of something or the other inside one's country creating SHIT all around, coupled with state and national level day-to-day corruption and try to become a rising economy in this area despite all these odds, just try to----- take it in written that it won't last a month as a nation and won't last a week without warring.

Then try reasoning morality with us.
Very well said !

JayATL

Oh I know well I'm in the minority, But I will keep going on here or someplace else- for I'm of Indian blood and one that looks to up the moral standards and respects what millions have died before us to provide. a free democratic, civil Indian soceity.

Not a ruthless barbaric jallianwala bagh society.The British said they had the right to kill them because the govt said no assembly is allowed!- disregarding humanity and humane policies. They did not pose a threat, the ones who died that day to the British! They were innocent men, women, children gathering for a hope of better life and freedom. They could simply have arrested all and not given them the death sentence!

Today you say like those cowardly British,they have no right to cross and if they do _ i will slaughter their children, women and poor. Not arrest.. but slaughter them on barb wires if need be! worse than a dogs death. For I'm the new indian you say... this how we do it, how we roll.

THEN I SAY- If need be my lone voice is will always dissent...

I'm done...

Last edited by a moderator:

mayfair

If I may, I'll present my humble perspective here:

• I would have sympathy for the dead Bangladeshi teenagers if they were trying to live in India to earn a livelihood after having illegally entered India and were shot dead somewhere not near the international border. No, such people deserve to be deported, but they also deserve the right to live.
  • I am afraid I cannot display much sympathy here simply because these illegal immigrants were trying to cross the international border, that too into Pakistan. Being from Bangladesh, having crossed the entire east west expanse in India, they reached Punjab and were trying to enter Pakistan. Why?
  • What if the BSF failed to apprehend these Bangladeshis and they successfully exfiltrated to Pakistan and then two months down the line these very people re-entered Mumbai in rubber boats to murder 250 people? We would be the first ones to hurl abuses at the BSF.

Even in the past I have criticised some BSF personnel for taking bribes and facilitating illegal cross border trade and human trafficking. Now, I must commend those BSF personnel for doing what they are getting paid for.

I don't support killing and violence either, but if given only the two options of the (1) possibility of death to foreigners against the (2) possibility of death to Indians, I would rather chose the former even if it slightly reduces the possibility of an attack on India and/or Indians.
While I respect your views pmaitra, I have more sympathy for my felow Indians who are struggling to make a living in India than illegal Bangaldeshis who come here to make a livelihood. This is not a US-Mexico situation where Mexican illegals are pouring in to take jobs, which Americans do not wish to take up. The Bangladeshis are into jobs which many poor Indians are not averse (in fact quite keen on) to- construction, daily labour, domestic help, rickshaw pullers, farm labour etc. Every illegal Bangaldeshi in the job means that one Indian citizen loses out, which may not have helped him/her get out of poverty but would have certainly brought succour to their families. Not to mention the wages which instead would have been ploughed back into the Indian economy are now being remitted to Bangaldesh.

One must remember that India is not averse to foreign labour. Given the special relationship between India and Nepal, there are plenty of Nepalese who are gainfully employed in India- Gurkhas in Indian army (ethnic Indian and from Nepal) being prime examples. However, unlike Bangaldeshis they are not a security threat irrespective of Maoists and a few instances of petty crimes.

In addition to the security aspect, which is the biggest concern, politico-economic ramifications are far worse or at least equally bad. Why should illegals in India be permitted to decide election outcomes, therebey pereptuating this vicious cycle of pandering to them for votes?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Oh I know well I'm in the minority, But I will keep going on here or someplace else- for I'm of Indian blood and one that looks to up the moral standards and respects what millions have died before us to provide. a free democratic, civil Indian soceity.

Not a ruthless barbaric jallianwala bagh society.The British said they had the right to kill them because the govt said no assembly is allowed!- disregarding humanity and humane policies. They did not pose a threat, the ones who died that day to the British! They were innocent men, women, children gathering for a hope of better life and freedom. They could simply have arrested all and not given them the death sentence!

Today you say like those cowardly British,they have no right to cross and if they do _ i will slaughter their children, women and poor. Not arrest.. but slaughter them on barb wires if need be! worse than a dogs death. For I'm the new indian you say... this how we do it, how we roll.

THEN I SAY- If need be my lone voice is will always dissent...

I'm done...
what a rubbish comparison.

how do you propose bsf arrested those people crossing into pakistan ? by crossing themselves ?

pmaitra

While I respect your views pmaitra, I have more sympathy for my felow Indians who are struggling to make a living in India than illegal Bangaldeshis who come here to make a livelihood.
Of course, it's the same with me.

You took my comment out of context buddy. I was comparing an illegal immigrant who came here for livelihood with an illegal immigrant who poses a security threat. I have not, anywhere, compared a hardworking illegal immigrant and a hardworking citizen.

One more clarification: I believe the right to life of an illegal immigrant who is not a security threat is no less than that of a citizen. The only difference between the two is that the former should be deported. There must be no inequality whatsoever when it comes to right to life. So if someone were to tell me that he or she has more sympathy for a citizen who got killed than an illegal immigrant posing no security threat who got killed, I would humbly disagree here.

Last edited:

Oracle

Trivia Time !
which Other country had the same policy? East Germany.
Even US does this from time to time. And those voices are rarely heard.

which developed country in the world does this - NONE.
Check this link > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_border_patrol_shooting
If you are not satisfied with the link above, check the link below:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/06/09/world/main6564363.shtml

what does even a rogue country like N Korea do? they arrest...
You enlist a rouge Country as an example?
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40458447/ns/world_news-asia-pacific/
http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2010/nov/24/north-korea-shelling-kills-4-guts-homes/

They killed South Koreans even without being provoked.

JayATL

are you that slow. you give me links that say " Family of Mexican teen killed by border agent sues" . Is this a forrest gump moment for you? do you know the difference between a POLICY and someone breaking it? US policy is not to kill everyone or anyone on sight if they are crossing the border. Not to shoot till they feel threatened with bodily harm. This guy/ agent who did - well you saw the consequences- that agent is been indicted and will see jail time if convicted for decades for homicide.

If an army higher up in India gets caught in a scam - does it mean the Indian army has a policy to allow corruption?

Gawd!... why did I answer, will someone please slap me in the back of my head - if ever reply to this fella again.

JayATL

Yeah well I was talking about crossing it borders- as recent as the two Americans who got caught crossing it. and it was intended to be an exaggerated example.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Seems like BSF follows shoot first then ask question on indian international border with its neighbours.No doubt indian neighbours are so much antagonized with india.Then we exclaim what wrong india did to its neighbourss that almost all south asia neighbours are against india.

Behind the blood-thirsty acts

Ameer Hamza
The 10th meeting of the Bangladesh-India Joint Working Group on Security issued a press release on January 19 last, expressing (as usual) India's 'regret and sympathy' over their Border Security Force (BSF) shooting dead 15-year old Felani, as she was trying to cross over the barbed wire fence along the Kurigram border into Bangladesh. This latest killing happened on the 7th of this month as the young girl was returning home with her father, to be married off. We are told, father and daughter worked as cheap labour, breaking bricks in Delhi. Footage of Felani's body, arms and legs, entangled as if crucified, pierced through every heart, angering all against the dastardly act. Did the poor girl look like such a 'security threat' to the trigger-happy troops that live ammunitions had to be fired at her? What is it that triggers such blood-thirstiness in the BSF when they catch sight of ordinary people moving along the porous border?

Newspapers tell us, 'Dhaka strongly protested the indiscriminate firings and killings of unarmed Bangladeshi nationals by the Indian BSF on a regular basis', and 'called for maintaining maximum restraint and told the Indian side that such killings must stop.' But would it? According to the human rights organisation, Odhikar, at least one Bangladeshi citizen is killed by the Indian BSF every four days, and by the time of Fulani's death, 2011 has already seen four dead through direct shooting or torture. Last year the BSF had shot and killed as many as 74, wounded 72 others and abducted at least 43 innocent Bangladeshis. Delve into the records of all other years and it is the same unacceptably hostile picture - more than a thousand killed in the last decade alone - although official state relations between the two SAARC neighbours is supposed to be 'friendly'!

At the end of the home secretary level meeting in the capital on January 20 last, we were told the Indian government has 'instituted a court of enquiry' to investigate the killing of Felani and punish the guilty, and that New Delhi would hence pursue a 'zero-tolerance' policy against the killing of unarmed civilians along the border. The rhetoric is right, but if past Indian pledges are to be kept in perspective, there's no reason for great expectations from this big brother. And it would be naive of us to presume that the gun-toting Indian border guards act without the knowledge and the indulgence of the higher authorities. Note what the BSF chief claimed in September 2010 at the end of a director general level meeting of the two countries' border guards: '... most of them (people killed by the BSF) are Indian criminals and the rest are Bangladeshi criminals.' Isn't this tantamount to arrogating to itself 'the role of prosecutor, juror and executioner all rolled into one?' asks the daily, New Age, in its leader of January 22, 2011.

Indeed, in spite of so much brilliance in so many sectors, Indian governments seem to project a peculiar 'complex' vis-a-vis a number of other countries in the region. As one late editor of the now defunct The Bangladesh Observer put it in the 1990s, during a discussion on the potential for an ASEAN-like economic bloc in South Asia: 'The biggest obstacle to SAARC becoming one is that India doesn't want cooperation. Total submission is what it wants from the other sovereign nations!' God forbid that this should prove true enough to banish peace forever! Enlightened self-interest demands cooperation. Continued attrition would mean the un-doing of all in the neighbourhood, including the 'natural leader' India Shining!

SHASH2K2

Seems like BSF follows shoot first then ask question on indian international border with its neighbours.No doubt indian neighbours are so much antagonized with india.Then we exclaim what wrong india did to its neighbourss that almost all south asia neighbours are against india.

Behind the blood-thirsty acts

Ameer Hamza
The 10th meeting of the Bangladesh-India Joint Working Group on Security issued a press release on January 19 last, expressing (as usual) India's 'regret and sympathy' over their Border Security Force (BSF) shooting dead 15-year old Felani, as she was trying to cross over the barbed wire fence along the Kurigram border into Bangladesh. This latest killing happened on the 7th of this month as the young girl was returning home with her father, to be married off. We are told, father and daughter worked as cheap labour, breaking bricks in Delhi. Footage of Felani's body, arms and legs, entangled as if crucified, pierced through every heart, angering all against the dastardly act. Did the poor girl look like such a 'security threat' to the trigger-happy troops that live ammunitions had to be fired at her? What is it that triggers such blood-thirstiness in the BSF when they catch sight of ordinary people moving along the porous border?

Newspapers tell us, 'Dhaka strongly protested the indiscriminate firings and killings of unarmed Bangladeshi nationals by the Indian BSF on a regular basis', and 'called for maintaining maximum restraint and told the Indian side that such killings must stop.' But would it? According to the human rights organisation, Odhikar, at least one Bangladeshi citizen is killed by the Indian BSF every four days, and by the time of Fulani's death, 2011 has already seen four dead through direct shooting or torture. Last year the BSF had shot and killed as many as 74, wounded 72 others and abducted at least 43 innocent Bangladeshis. Delve into the records of all other years and it is the same unacceptably hostile picture - more than a thousand killed in the last decade alone - although official state relations between the two SAARC neighbours is supposed to be 'friendly'!

At the end of the home secretary level meeting in the capital on January 20 last, we were told the Indian government has 'instituted a court of enquiry' to investigate the killing of Felani and punish the guilty, and that New Delhi would hence pursue a 'zero-tolerance' policy against the killing of unarmed civilians along the border. The rhetoric is right, but if past Indian pledges are to be kept in perspective, there's no reason for great expectations from this big brother. And it would be naive of us to presume that the gun-toting Indian border guards act without the knowledge and the indulgence of the higher authorities. Note what the BSF chief claimed in September 2010 at the end of a director general level meeting of the two countries' border guards: '... most of them (people killed by the BSF) are Indian criminals and the rest are Bangladeshi criminals.' Isn't this tantamount to arrogating to itself 'the role of prosecutor, juror and executioner all rolled into one?' asks the daily, New Age, in its leader of January 22, 2011.

Indeed, in spite of so much brilliance in so many sectors, Indian governments seem to project a peculiar 'complex' vis-a-vis a number of other countries in the region. As one late editor of the now defunct The Bangladesh Observer put it in the 1990s, during a discussion on the potential for an ASEAN-like economic bloc in South Asia: 'The biggest obstacle to SAARC becoming one is that India doesn't want cooperation. Total submission is what it wants from the other sovereign nations!' God forbid that this should prove true enough to banish peace forever! Enlightened self-interest demands cooperation. Continued attrition would mean the un-doing of all in the neighbourhood, including the 'natural leader' India Shining!
SO madam you want Indian security forces to ask terrorists something like this . "Excuse me sir please let us know if you are part of any terrorists group? If yes please surrender . " Its a warzone and shoot at sight is best option.

JBH22

Did the poor girl look like such a 'security threat' to the trigger-happy troops that live ammunitions had to be fired at her? What is it that triggers such blood-thirstiness in the BSF when they catch sight of ordinary people moving along the porous border?
why is the poor girl crossing borders in the first place? BSF is a paramilitary force stretched thin to guard a volatile border i really don't think they have time to go and arrest bottomline is you try to cross the border we will shoot but then don't whine.

According to the human rights organisation, Odhikar, at least one Bangladeshi citizen is killed by the Indian BSF every four days, and by the time of Fulani's death, 2011 has already seen four dead through direct shooting or torture. Last year the BSF had shot and killed as many as 74, wounded 72 others and abducted at least 43 innocent Bangladeshis.
Wonder if BSF had not done that what would have happened considering the number illegally entering India.

'The biggest obstacle to SAARC becoming one is that India doesn't want cooperation. Total submission is what it wants from the other sovereign nations!' God forbid that this should prove true enough to banish peace forever!
Typical Paki BS cooperation is secondary to country interest.

Oracle

Bangladeshis trying to sneak in.......

BSF: Hi fellas! Going somewhere!
Bangladeshis: <scared> er! no! we were er! searching for our cattle!
BSF: In here?
Bangladeshis: er! yeah! They kinda like grass on the other side of the border!
BSF: Cool, continue please! Wait, let me open the gate for you. Please take your time!
Bangladeshis: :evil::evil:

A single terrorist can create havoc. Imagine a guy with AKs, grenades and other ammunition set free in a mall or an IT park. By the time commandos get to the site & gun him down, he would have caused casualty in 100s. Thanks but no thanks, we'd prefer BSF using bullets to stop infiltration at the border itself, regardless of men, women. Terror does not have any gender or any age.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
SO madam you want Indian security forces to ask terrorists something like this . "Excuse me sir please let us know if you are part of any terrorists group? If yes please surrender . " Its a warzone and shoot at sight is best option.
There are rules of engagement for forces on the international border.And basically forces are not suppose to fire unless fired upon.Sorry but BSF is clearly at fault in going on killing rampage on bagngladesh-india border.And its good that GOI is taking note of this extreme policy of BSF.

'BSF ordered not to kill Bangladeshis'

Fri, Jan 28th, 2011 8:53 pm BdST

Dinajpur, Jan 28 (bdnews24.com) — An Indian border force high official has said the BSF personnel have been ordered to stop killing Bangladeshi people at the frontier.

BSF's special director general S H Pronoy Saha told Bangladesh Border Guards (BGB) on Friday during a visit to Hilly check post.

His comments appeared to address the growing criticism by international human rights organizations about the indiscriminate killing of Bangladeshi people by the BSF.

Pronoy said that killing on frontiers have been decreased. "BSF has been ordered to stop killing. Trespassers will see stern legal action," he added.

In December, 2010 US based Human Rights Watch said in a report that use of excessive force by Indian side is responsible for killing on India-Bangladesh frontiers.

A Bangladeshi teenager, Felani, was brutally killed by BSF a few weeks ago, which drew widespread international condemnation, prompting the India to seat with Bangladesh at home secretary level.

A BGB team gave BSF official guard of honour after his arrival at BGB's Hilly camp. He later held a meeting with his Bangladeshi counterpart, Colonel Saleh Ahmad, Dinajpur sector commander of BGB.

Pronoy left Bangladesh around 3pm.

Colonel Saleh told reporters that the meeting was cordial.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned

Last edited:

amitkriit

How will u react if same policy of shoot to kill without any question asked like that followed by BSF is adopted by western countries where lot of illegal indian immigrant go every year????
To India and Indians life and well-being of Indians is more valuable than anything or anybody else, so I guess we will try to do everything to protect our citizens.

Oracle

How will u react if same policy of shoot to kill without any question asked like that followed by BSF is adopted by western countries where lot of illegal indian immigrant go every year????
Western nations do not have Jihadi countries surrounding it. And btw, if Indians do go illegally to Western nations, it is upto the Western nations to decide what to do. I would go with their rule.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
India's shoot-to-kill policy on the Bangladesh border
Security officials openly admit that unarmed civilians trying to enter India illegally are being killed. Will the government act?

An Indian border guard standing alert as a farmer leads her cow alongside fencing marking the India-Bangladesh border in the village of Jaypur, west of Agartala.
Brad Adams
Guardian.co.uk

Do good fences make good neighbours? Not along the India-Bangladesh border. Here, India has almost finished building a 2,000km fence. Where once people on both sides were part of a greater Bengal, now India has put up a "keep out" sign to stop illegal immigration, smuggling and infiltration by anti-government militants.

This might seem unexceptional in a world increasingly hostile to migration. But to police the border, India's Border Security Force (BSF), has carried out a shoot-to-kill policy – even on unarmed local villagers. The toll has been huge. Over the past 10 years Indian security forces have killed almost 1,000 people, mostly Bangladeshis, turning the border area into a south Asian killing fields. No one has been prosecuted for any of these killings, in spite of evidence in many cases that makes it clear the killings were in cold blood against unarmed and defenceless local residents.

Shockingly, some Indian officials endorse shooting people who attempt to cross the border illegally, even if they are unarmed. Almost as shocking is the lack of interest in these killings by foreign governments who claim to be concerned with human rights. A single killing by US law enforcement along the Mexican border makes headlines. The killing of large numbers of villagers by Indian forces has been almost entirely ignored.

The violence is routine and arbitrary. Alauddin Biswas described to Human Rights Watch the killing of his 24-year-old nephew, who was suspected of cattle rustling, by Indian border guards in March 2010. "The BSF had shot him while he was lying on his back. They shot him in the forehead. If he was running away, he would have been shot in the back. They just killed him." The BSF claimed self-defence, but no weapons were recovered.

Nazrul Islam, a Bangladeshi, was luckier. "At around 3am we decided to cross the Indian border," he said. He was headed to India to smuggle cows back to Bangladesh. "As soon as the BSF saw us, they started firing without warning." Islam was shot in his arm, but survived.

Some of the victims have been children. One father recounted how his sons were beaten by BSF officers. "The BSF personnel surrounded the boys and without giving any reason started beating them with rifle *****, kicking and slapping them. There were nine soldiers, and they beat my sons mercilessly. Even as the boys fell down, the BSF men continued to kick them ruthlessly on their chest and other sensitive organs."

The border has long been crossed routinely by local people for trade and commerce. It is also crossed by relatives and friends separated by a line arbitrarily drawn by the British during partition in 1947. As with the Mexican border in the United States, the border has become an emotive issue in Indian politics, as millions of Bangladeshis now live in India illegally. Many are exploited as cheap labour.

India has the right to impose border controls. But India does not have the right to use lethal force except where strictly necessary to protect life. Yet some Indian officials openly admit that unarmed civilians are being killed. The head of the BSF, Raman Srivastava, says that people should not feel sorry for the victims, claiming that since these individuals were illegally entering Indian territory, often at night, they were "not innocent" and therefore were a legitimate target.

Though India is a state with functional courts, he apparently believes the BSF can act as judge, jury and executioner. This approach also ignores the many victims, such as a 13-year-old named Abdur Rakib, who broke no law and was killed simply because he was near the fence. Sadly, Bangladeshi border officials have also suggested that such killings are acceptable if the victim was engaged in smuggling.

As the recent WikiLeaks report about endemic torture in Kashmir underscores, Indian soldiers and police routinely commit human rights violations without any consequences. Permission has to be granted by a senior Indian official for the police to even begin an investigation into a crime committed by a member of the security forces, such as the BSF. This rarely happens.

The response of various government officials to allegations of a shoot-to-kill policy has been confusing: we do shoot illegal border crossers since they are lawbreakers; we don't shoot border crossers; we only shoot in self-defence; we never shoot to kill.

But there is some reason for hope. Under pressure, senior Indian officials have expressed revulsion at the behaviour of the BSF and have promised to send new orders to end the shoot-to-kill policy. They have committed to use nonviolent means to apprehend illegal border crossers or smugglers where they pose no risk to life. The question is whether this will be translated into action on the ground. Similar promises of "zero tolerance" for abuses have been made in Kashmir and elsewhere but have not been fulfilled.

As India's economy has grown and foreign investors have flocked in, its human rights record has largely flown under the radar in recent years. But India is a growing world power with increasing influence. It should understand that its behaviour will come under increasing scrutiny. Routinely shooting poor, unarmed villagers is not how the world's largest democracy should behave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles