Astra BVRAAM

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
Now whom to believe?
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-at-pokhran/story-pfWsuepqYr0JPt5WXp81bK.html
As per this article its Mirage 2000 which missed the targets using Paveway LGB and Russian origin OSA AK-M SAM also failed to hit target.
On the other hand, as per the report, LCA did fine in it..................... Whom to believe now? o_O
They both missed, as far as I saw because I clearly remember the woman commentator saying this twice "in real life situations, the targets are bigger so a near miss ought to be considered as a hit in this scenario". Anyway, whichever missile the IAF WANTS to miss will be made out to be the loser at the end of this investigation. They will use it as an excuse to buy some foreign kit. Unfortunately, given the IAF's bias against indigenous systems, I think we all know which piece of equipment will be blamed.

Chinmoy

Country flag
They both missed, as far as I saw because I clearly remember the woman commentator saying this twice "in real life situations, the targets are bigger so a near miss ought to be considered as a hit in this scenario". Anyway, whichever missile the IAF WANTS to miss will be made out to be the loser at the end of this investigation. They will use it as an excuse to buy some foreign kit. Unfortunately, given the IAF's bias against indigenous systems, I think we all know which piece of equipment will be blamed.
I think none of the failed system were indigenous............

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!
I think none of the failed system were indigenous............
They can always blame Tejas for not being compatible with targeting pods. I mean, this wont be the first time the IAF has used totally irrelevant facts or blatant lies to somehow blame the Tejas project.

Chinmoy

Country flag
They can always blame Tejas for not being compatible with targeting pods. I mean, this wont be the first time the IAF has used totally irrelevant facts or blatant lies to somehow blame the Tejas project.
AFAIK till now they are not blaming Tejas. In fact they have gone to say in record that there was no fault of pilot nor aircraft. But I think it would be our media who would rake it up.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Astra will complement our BVR inventory already superior to PLAF and PAF since we have BVR with better Range.

IAF follow the russian BVR philosophy i.e different BVR on a single jet, thus we have R 27 ER with 120 Km range and R 77 variants with 90 ~ km range, R 73 for WVR.

AIM 120C is the best BVR which PAF have and US will never give them 120 D.

As for their second line JF 17 armed with SD 10 which is roughly comparable to ASTRA.

In any case IAF jets have superior Radars in Mig 29,mIG 29k Su 30MKI and Mirage 2000,these jets would track and shoot before any PAF jet have them on its Radar except F 16 blk 52.

Last edited:

PARIKRAMA

Ek_Dum_Burbak
A long time back Livefist carried a picture of our AAMs comparing it .. see this

astra_su30mki2.jpg

if you see this, Astra is already pretty much superior to present packages except the new iDERBY ER and perhaps another MICA version of mid range

Prasun talked about seeker being agat build this
AGAT-built 9B-1348E Seeker for R-77 & Astra Mk1 BVRAAMs-1.jpg

and with this specs

Astra BVRAAM's 9B-1348E Seeker-2.jpg

but there is a small mistake here...

Astra missile diameter is 178 mm meaning the seeker has to be smaller than that size..

in mid 2000s a new family was derived out of the 9B-1348E and was designated 9B-1103M. from thsi family the seeker is actually derived
3aclnul1iyn.jpg

notice the second figure with 150 mm.. thats the actual Astra seeker

its features as compared to others is as below
DSCN3512.jpg

and It employs an all-digital signal processing system, which has allowed the makers AGAT to improve its range performance, immunity to jamming, and its overall tactical combat performance

tejas warrior

Country flag
Friends, no update for long on ASTRA.. Can someone confirm when it complete all testing and ready for Production.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
CuPZF1WWEAEiMNrmm.jpg

Astra MK-1 (on outer wing pylon, in grey colour). As per BR IAF displays only those hardware which has been already inducted. So it's safe to say Astra MK-1 has been inducted in IAF and may be already operational with SU-30MKI.

Great news if assumption is correct.

su35

Country flag
View attachment 10871

Astra MK-1 (on outer wing pylon, in grey colour). As per BR IAF displays only those hardware which has been already inducted. So it's safe to say Astra MK-1 has been inducted in IAF and may be already operational with SU-30MKI.

Great news if assumption is correct.
Well hope your assumptions are correct. buit Brahmos is also fitted that means it is already inducted

PD_Solo

The only one
Country flag
Well hope your assumptions are correct. buit Brahmos is also fitted that means it is already inducted
I don't think so both are yet inducted,last heard bhramos to still in fire test stages.Astra update still under wraps.

Must be displayed to show the degree of indigenous weapons possessed as there was a lot of foreign contingent present.

My 2 cent though.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles