Astra BVRAAM

su35

Country flag
I think IAF will ask something like METEOR, for other requireents we are very well covered
Of course then AIM120D and R77 "object 40" and so on Our great IAF want to have all air to air missile in its pocket

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Well hope your assumptions are correct. buit Brahmos is also fitted that means it is already inducted
I don't think so both are yet inducted,last heard bhramos to still in fire test stages.Astra update still under wraps.

Must be displayed to show the degree of indigenous weapons possessed as there was a lot of foreign contingent present.

My 2 cent though.
See i posted it with a degree of doubt.

Anyway, consider few things.

Brahmos-A --which was fired by an SU-30MKI against a static ground target in August-- and is a certified weapon in a surface to surface configuration. The only thing needed to be checked or test is its accuracy when released form an aerial platform i.e SU-30MKI. And it's testing cycle is going to small. By small, i mean for every block. Here, in this case, the first block represents certifying Brahmos-A in a non-version. The following block will certification of it and its platform in a nuclear role.

Astra MK-1 has been fired in a live fire demonstration from an SU-30MKI against an electronic target. I don't think IAF or any air force would fire an uncertified weapon during a live-fire demonstration. Here I am not saying that Astra MK-1 has been fully certified. But surely it has been certified for limited operational capability.......Will like to add that there is a difference between doing a fly-past of an uncertified system like Embraer mounted AEW&C and firing a BVRAAM from SU-30MKI in a live fire demonstration exercise.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
India’s First BVR Missile Astra on Verge of Commercial Production
The successful public firing of the home-made missile has set the stage for its commercial production from next year. The Astra will replace some of the French, Russian and Israeli air to air missiles.

New Delhi (Sputnik) — Indian Air Force is expected to receive country's first indigenous beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) Astra by the end of this year. Indian defense scientists had set this revised timeline due to delay in getting critical components. The scheduled date of completion of the project was September 2012.
"The project was delayed because of technological challenges and delay in availability of critical components but now it is expected to be completed in December 2016," Dr. Subhash Bhamre, India's Minister of State for Defense informed the Parliament.
Indian Air Force Sukhoi 30 MKI jets had fired the Astra during the Ìron Fist' fire-power demonstration in the deserts of Rajasthan this March. India is planning to integrate `the Astra missiles on its next generation Tejas light combat aircraft.
The Astra will allow IAF jets hit aerial targets up to 60 km away. Indian scientists at DRDO are also developing a more powerful BVRAAM Astra Mk 2 with a range of 100 km.
Just a little correction, Astra is India's first BVR Air to Air Missile, not first BVR missile, otherwise our SSMs /ICBMs are way beyond BVR.

shankyz

Country flag
Good news @ Astra.
One more critical missile of India's IGMDP program comes to fruition.
^^ I believe BVR terminology is used for AAM only, if I am not wrong ... not SAM/SSM ...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy J7

republic_roi97

Country flag
Its actually called BVRAAM.
India’s First BVR Missile Astra on Verge of Commercial Production
The successful public firing of the home-made missile has set the stage for its commercial production from next year. The Astra will replace some of the French, Russian and Israeli air to air missiles.

Just a little correction, Astra is India's first BVR Air to Air Missile, not first BVR missile, otherwise our SSMs /ICBMs are way beyond BVR.
And pronounced as B-V-Raam

scatterStorm

Country flag
Source -- http://sptnkne.ws/cPzc

As per the source:

"The project was delayed because of technological challenges and delay in availability of critical components but now it is expected to be completed in December 2016," Dr. Subhash Bhamre, India's Minister of State for Defense informed the Parliament."

Now I know this is coming from Sputnik so I won't held my hopes high! As per the article the range is modest of 60KM although it isn't mentioned whether it's 60KM in active homing or half the journey through semi-active homing and the rest on active homing via target acquisition, nevertheless it's something good to know that our Fighters have will have some teeth to counter adversaries in our air theater.

On a personal note, December is almost here, so I also like to thank the community and people in the forum for giving me the opportunity to share and discuss my thoughts freely. With that being said I wish you Happy Holidays and blissful Winter. :yo:

Peace

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The Astra has already been tested. More tests underway.....

On 18th March 2015 an Astra missile was fired from an Su 30 MKI and intercepted a electronic stimulated target, a electronic stimulated target is something a flying object which is dropped by another aircraft for target practice, during the tests the missile experienced forces greater than 27g and exhibited hard manoeuvres during a dive-down intercept, the missile intercepted the target at an altitude of 6000 feet.

Astra Launching from Land based Launch pad.

Image of first successful Launch of Astra from Su 30 MKI in May 2014

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
Source -- http://sptnkne.ws/cPzc

As per the source:

"The project was delayed because of technological challenges and delay in availability of critical components but now it is expected to be completed in December 2016," Dr. Subhash Bhamre, India's Minister of State for Defense informed the Parliament."

Now I know this is coming from Sputnik so I won't held my hopes high! As per the article the range is modest of 60KM although it isn't mentioned whether it's 60KM in active homing or half the journey through semi-active homing and the rest on active homing via target acquisition, nevertheless it's something good to know that our Fighters have will have some teeth to counter adversaries in our air theater.

On a personal note, December is almost here, so I also like to thank the community and people in the forum for giving me the opportunity to share and discuss my thoughts freely. With that being said I wish you Happy Holidays and blissful Winter. :yo:

Peace
No AAM in the world has a 60km range on active homing. The seeker is on duty only in the last few km (how exactly, I don't know). And the antennae size and power isn't high enough for such a range.

republic_roi97

Country flag
No AAM in the world has a 60km range on active homing. The seeker is on duty only in the last few km (how exactly, I don't know). And the antennae size and power isn't high enough for such a range.
According to wiki it has 25 km range on active radar homing, I really have no idea what does that means.

rishivashista13

Country flag
According to wiki it has 25 km range on active radar homing, I really have no idea what does that means.
It means that , when Astra will be 25 km away from the target , it will start tracking the enemy aircraft by using its own built in rader . And then it can destroy that target by its own , without anytype of further outside support .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
It means that , when Astra will be 25 km away from the target , it will start tracking the enemy aircraft by using its own built in rader . And then it can destroy that target by its own , without anytype of further outside support .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk
It doesn't mean the seeker is able to find a target at such a range. Maybe it's the theorical range on a huge target (tanker or Awacs). But on a fighter the range is probably much small.

scatterStorm

Country flag
It doesn't mean the seeker is able to find a target at such a range. Maybe it's the theorical range on a huge target (tanker or Awacs). But on a fighter the range is probably much small.
That's why I reasoned it with half the distance with semi-active homing ( Passive homing ) for the first 25-30 Km and if the target is acquired than rest 25-30 Km in active homing. Although I could be wrong as I have no technical details about ASTRA as it's still in test phase and cumulative information will be provided by the MOD and IAF after it's commercial production in December which is subjective.

scatterStorm

Country flag
On the side note, I didn't knew that PAF has AIM 120D AAM RAM in service, this is quite concerning! Further can anybody would tell me that how's MBDA Meteor BVR AAM has an upper hand to currently existing BVR AAM's?

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
That's why I reasoned it with half the distance with semi-active homing ( Passive homing ) for the first 25-30 Km and if the target is acquired than rest 25-30 Km in active homing. Although I could be wrong as I have no technical details about ASTRA as it's still in test phase and cumulative information will be provided by the MOD and IAF after it's commercial production in December which is subjective.
I don't think there is a modern AAm with a semi active part of travel and the last one in active mode.
The main part of the travel is made in auto pilot mode, with few refreshment of the estimated location of the target thru a data link. The final part is made with the seeker opened.

A semi active travel need the radar of the fighter shouting the missile to be open. But now you can use the electronic support system to guide the missile, or the datas of another plane with L16 link.

So I think Astra use a gyroscopic first stage flight, with some refreshments via data link, and a active end part.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
On the side note, I didn't knew that PAF has AIM 120D AAM RAM in service, this is quite concerning! Further can anybody would tell me that how's MBDA Meteor BVR AAM has an upper hand to currently existing BVR AAM's?
PAK hasn't the D model of AMRAAM. It's C5 model, not more (fortunately).

Meteor has a higk PK ,range of MORE THAN 100km (some said 150km ! )

Why such a high range? because instead of the other AAM of the same weight class (170kg : AMRAAM and russian AMRAMSKY), the Meteor don't have to carry fuel and oxidizer. oxydizer is taken in the air, with the stat technology. So Meteor, despite a higher drag (the air intakes for stato), has a far higher range than the other.

scatterStorm

Country flag
PAK hasn't the D model of AMRAAM. It's C5 model, not more (fortunately).

Meteor has a higk PK ,range of MORE THAN 100km (some said 150km ! )

Why such a high range? because instead of the other AAM of the same weight class (170kg : AMRAAM and russian AMRAMSKY), the Meteor don't have to carry fuel and oxidizer. oxydizer is taken in the air, with the stat technology. So Meteor, despite a higher drag (the air intakes for stato), has a far higher range than the other.
I think it carries fuel but no oxidizer, I mean if we look at range as you mentioned, 100Km it has to carry more fuel, oxidizer would have made it bulky so MBDA came up with such ingenious plan of stat tech.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
I think it carries fuel but no oxidizer, I mean if we look at range as you mentioned, 100Km it has to carry more fuel, oxidizer would have made it bulky so MBDA came up with such ingenious plan of stat tech.
YES, It carry only fuel.
Oxidizer is taken from the air outside, to be burnt in the stato engine.

tejas warrior

Country flag
from BR Forums..

Hemant Rout ‏@Hemant_TNIE 2h2 hours ago
Astra #missile developed by @DRDO_India exploded soon after take off from #Odisha based test range causing enormous noise. @NewIndianXpress

indiatester

Country flag
from BR Forums..

Hemant Rout ‏@Hemant_TNIE 2h2 hours ago
Astra #missile developed by @DRDO_India exploded soon after take off from #Odisha based test range causing enormous noise. @NewIndianXpress
That sucks. Any further information on the cause for this failure?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles