China Hires As Many As 300,000 Internet Trolls To Make CCP look good

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
China Hires As Many As 300,000 Internet Trolls To Make The Communist Party Look Good

The Chinese government doesn't just censor its internet. It actually pays people to leave fake comments that make the country - and its communist regime - look good.
After reading "Blocked on Weibo" by Chinese researcher Jason Q. Ng, we recently learned China's version of Twitter, Sina Weibo, banned the phrase "50 cents." It references China's "50 Cent Party," a group of ordinary citizens hired by the government to post internet comments spinning that day's news in China's favor.

These hired guns supposedly earn 50 cents (or .5 Yuan) for every post. While the Chinese government has only implicitly acknowledged their existence, the brigade likely functions at various levels, with some commenters even employed by websites or internet providers themselves.

An estimated 250,000 to 300,000 belong to the "party," researchers from Harvard University wrote in the American Political Science Review in May 2013. "The size and sophistication of the Chinese government's program to selectively censor the expressed views of the Chinese people is unprecedented in recorded world history," the authors wrote.

An army of paid trolls spins daily news online in China.

In 2011 an internal directive for 50 Cent members leaked, China Digital Times reported. The assigned tasks for 50 Cent members include making America the "target of criticism" as well as using "the bloody and tear-stained history" of China to create pro-Party sentiments. The goal is to prevent democratic encroachment from its sovereign island neighbor, Taiwan.

British magazine the New Statesman actually tracked down one of these hired propagandists in 2012. The anonymous 26-year-old said he had "too many usernames" to count and that he recieved an email from the local internet publicity office every morning explaining what news he should focus on that day.

"It's kind of psychological ... You can make a bad thing sound even worse, make an elaborate account, and make people think it's nonsense when they see it," he told the Statesman's Ai Weiwei.

China's censorship program, the Golden Shield Project, known to the West as the "Great Firewall," has existed for nearly a decade. It blocks foreign websites that threaten the Communist message, as well as surveils and filters content on home soil. Journalists and netizens alike who don't abide by the rules face prison - or worse.

Aside from that, however, the government started to add its own comments to the mix in 2005, when anti-Japanese protests erupted across China, The Economist reports. Controlling the internet wasn't enough. The party needed to "use" the internet, as then-president Hu Jintao said in 2007. And Sina Weibo's birth in 2009 forced the 50-Centers to become even more active.

China's Ministry of Industry and Information Technology took the party's abilities a step further in 2014, setting up a training center, according to Radio Free Asia. The program intends to teach aspiring members how to direct and control online discussions.

"There was never this sort of system or professionalization in the past," independent website publisher Wang Jinxiang told RFA. "It seems that this is a new set of qualifications."

And the new initiatives appear to have worked. China's censorship was alive and well during recent protests in Hong Kong.

Check for the article on business insider website.

Link: http://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-50-cent-party-2014-10

[MOD Edit: Link added.]

Ashutosh Lokhande

Re: China Hires As Many As 300,000 Internet Trolls To Make CCP look go

@Ray sir, your views about our DFI member 'ccp' to be a troll seems to have more weight now :D

Last edited by a moderator:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

Uske alawa, humein dekh na hai aur kaun kaun hai hamare beech mein

CCP

@Ray sir, your views about our DFI member 'ccp' to be a troll seems to have more weight now :D
prove it.

You can provide a link or two here.

jouni

And I thought that 700 russian trolls in St.Petersburg was a respectable number...300 000 huh...

s002wjh

Country flag

i take this as a grain of salt, how did they research it, what kind method/data they acquired? did they hack in chinese server or other method. its kind like the george tech claim china has 3000 nuke missile underground, # come out from their ass. unless US or reputable agency claim this is true, its just another pointless paper from a school using internet to get their numbers :rolleyes:

people need to use their brain when encounter this kind of news.

CCP

This guy can be labeled as troll. (Look all his videos)

ps. The pic shows a PLA officer using internet in break of NPC meeting.

Country flag

Avoid references to forum members

CCP

A very good observation ... some make fortunes out of trolling...
Yes, we all like you share your information from your defence minister friend or your mother's friend's son.

bose

Country flag

Yes, we all like you share your information from your defence minister friend or your mother's friend's son.
@Ray @pmaitra @Singh @LETHALFORCE here is the example of a troll unleashed by China... Chinese are masters in trolling which they achieved without copying from others...

CCP

@Ray @pmaitra @Singh @LETHALFORCE here is the example of a troll unleashed by China... Chinese are masters in trolling which they achieved without copying from others...

Seems you have very short memory.

You forgot your own words?

bose

Country flag

Nice uniform for Chinese trolls !!

I must admit that Chinese government takes good care of their trolls...

bose

Country flag

Seems you have very short memory.

You forgot your own words?
I really appreciate the Chinese government for taking care of their trolls... good job...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

i take this as a grain of salt, how did they research it, what kind method/data they acquired? did they hack in chinese server or other method. its kind like the george tech claim china has 3000 nuke missile underground, # come out from their ass. unless US or reputable agency claim this is true, its just another pointless paper from a school using internet to get their numbers :rolleyes:

people need to use their brain when encounter this kind of news.
Why this Kolaveri Kolaveri di?

Ashutosh Lokhande

prove it.

You can provide a link or two here.
can you understand what i wrote? i made a statement to ray about HIS views on some chinese posters to be troll and on a payroll from there masters.

what you want me to prove?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

can you understand what i wrote? i made a statement to ray about HIS views on some chinese posters to be troll and on a payroll from there masters.

what you want me to prove?

It was not my view.

It was a fact as I proved it in my post.

Read that post in the Border Road that had spooked China.

I proved that CCP was trolling, given the fact he was aware of the roads and yet asking if it had commenced.

He also gave the link to the article I appended and so he Knew and YET he asked.

And then gave some lame excuse in a subsequent post as to why he asked.

Of course, I do not know if he is a paid Chinese troll.

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag

Indians, like many westerners, are bewildered by the shark contrast between the CCP they learned from newspapers and the CCP defended by Chinese netizens.

Should not Chinese hate CCP? Why are they defending CCP on different occasions?

A communist party which suppresses, censors, tortures, or even kills should be disdained. Chinese people who are victimized by the ruthless dictatorship should join the Indians posters and unanimously condemn the wrongdoings of CCP.

What is happening here doesnt make sense at all except a payroll is being offered.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2

Ashutosh Lokhande

Indians, like many westerners, are bewildered by the shark contrast between the CCP they learned from newspapers and the CCP defended by Chinese netizens.

Should not Chinese hate CCP? Why are they defending CCP on different occasions?

A communist party which suppresses, censors, tortures, or even kills should be disdained. Chinese people who are victimized by the ruthless dictatorship should join the Indians posters and unanimously condemn the wrongdoings of CCP.

What is happening here doesnt make sense at all except a payroll is being offered.

Sent from my HUAWEI P7-L07 using Tapatalk 2
50 cents just got added to your account :cheers:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles