Will Indonesia Replace India in the BRICs

amoy

well, Indonesia is not not only consisting of Muslim which's a majority, but also Buddhists, Christians and Confucians, and Hinduism whose faiths are also declared "legal".

LalTopi

2012-2013 will see a repeat of what happened in 2011-2012,during which time India's GDP had ZERO growth in dollar terms。

That's 2 years,2 precious years, wasted on the path to catch up with China。:rofl:

Sorry guys, but India is being left further behind in the race。

A race to nowhere for the Indians。:wave:
That is because you manipulate your currency. The rupee is not manipulated and hence is more accurate. Stick to PPP if you want to compare like with like.

LalTopi

Hello guys...

I'm Indonesian, and I registered here only to comment to some guys here who think that Indonesia is a most backward country in Asia :)...

Hmmm, I want to share with you, who say that Indonesia doesn't have Research Institute and some other things...

If you don't know about Indonesia, please consider to visit Indonesia... :)

FYI here are some Indonesian research institutes:

LIPI(Indonesia Science Institute): It is science and research institute in Indonesia. It consists of 47 research centers in the fields ranging from social to natural sciences.

LAPAN(Lembaga Penerbangan dan Antariksa Nasional): Indonesia's National Institute of Aeronautics and Space

ICALRRD: Indonesian Center for Agricultural Land Resources Research and Development

and some other institutes from government and non-government organization.

you can search on google for more info: indonesian institute - Google Search

About the industrial base, I don't really know what industrial base you mean, if in terms of commodities, at least Indonesia has various industrial base of palm oil, natural gas, coal and other processing industry.

We Indonesian know that we are poor, backward and not an industrialize country, but even though we are poor country, our GDP per capita and our living standard are better than India..

We Indonesian know that we are uncivilized and backward country, but even though we are backward, we still know how to manufacture a car, a plane, a motorcycle, a sneaker, and many other stuff which can exported to other countries including India.

And we know as Indonesians, India has a better economic growth, less corrupt, bigger economy and a non-dysfunctional government, but even though we are more corrupt, have a dysfunctional government, smaller economy and weaker economic growth, we still posted 6.3% growth in Q1 2012, our GDP PPP in 2011 are $1,122 trillion, GDP nominal in 2011 are $845,680 billion, and we have per capita GDP of $3,509 for 2011 when India the superpower of Asia has a GDP per capita of $1,389...

we are still poorer than India for sure :)...

Sorry for my bad English, because I'm a backward people... Thanks...
Both India and Indonesia are great places to invest for the long term. Both countries have huge potential. Even more, both countries can boost their respective growth by mutual trade and cooperation. Don't get sucked into anti Indian feeling by people who might have other agendas. I for one have invested my money in Indonesia in the past and have great faith in its long term potential.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
wellcome sir...and please dont mind the attitudes of people here .They consider everything related to muslims or islam as backward of 7th century be it islamic country or be it muslim individual even when father of indian missile program is a muslim himself.
You have contradicted your own statement, you little joker.

syncro

Country flag
Last edited:

butenzoorg

Table of Science Output worldwide in 2010 and in 2018

http://www.scimagolab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/forecasting-excercise.pdf

better muslin country = IRAN (4° in science output in 2018.. if the US dont nuke before)

Indonesia outside first 50 countries, must invest more in culture and science, are the primary source of wealth and development (GDP does not mean anything in long term)
What is your intention to compare Indonesia with Iran?

we are not a ranking-hungry nation, we are still building our country, Iran took from 1979 to become as now, we are still new, we just return to the normal country only from 1998, only 13 years ago, so there is still a long way to achieving our goals.

It is why Indonesia always to try to as low profile as we can.

But at least we're on the right track, in 2010 our government decided to allocate 20% of GDP to education, so our hope to be a developed country are still widely opened.

About culture, hehehe we have hundreds of different ethnic cultures and different languages too"‹"‹, there are about 300 languages "‹"‹in Papua province alone, and we are proud of our culture, so I don't know what you mean to say if we should invest more in culture...

but thank you for your advice...:cool2:

butenzoorg

Then educate us on the realities about your country! It will be great to have an Indonesian member here - I think you will be the first. If you are interested in geopolitics, defense and strategy, you will be able to contribute well here.
I dont have any ability to educate someone here, hehehe sorry..

If you want to Troll, Troll in the Internal affairs. And stop masquerading as a Paki. If your love for Pukistan is so great, :gtfo: and move to that stupid country instead of being a pain in the ass here in India. I have only one thing to say to you :finger:

Lets just forget that despite posting 6.5% growth in the Q1 in 2012, Indian GDP is considered to be at its worst place while the Indonesian GDP with a 6.3% GDP growth is considered very good for it... Anyway, lets also forget that the size of Indian GDP is about Four times that of the Indonesian GDP...:rolleyes:
Ok Indonesia will replace India in the BRIC, Happy now??:thumb:

Anyway, Ignore that troll Ajtr, and welcome to the forum. And do post more about your country :)
I don't know if he/she is a troll, but in my view, he/she just post a news here... thank you for your advice...

No one is doubting the integrity of Indonesia or its ability to do well. We are discussing point which states Indonesia has a economy which can outperform a bigger economy in GDP, PPP terms.
Yes, we have aspirations for it, but it's still a very long time to achieve, but some people here from what I read, they look down on Indonesia, just because a story that is not so pro-India.

there are research institute with even bangladesh and almost all the countries on earth but they should be coupled with the trained people from various applied sciences fields. Indonesia is doing good, no one is countering it. it has what it needs to be a good performing nation-
cheap labor
raw material
etc etc

but are indonesian institutes delivering anything? if they are is it acceptable to business community? brazil and russia too have higer gdp but the former is just resource exporting nation and russia is slowly becoming the case similar to former
If you know how our media deliver the news, you will know how there's only bad news about Indonesia on the internet... :)

Both India and Indonesia are great places to invest for the long term. Both countries have huge potential. Even more, both countries can boost their respective growth by mutual trade and cooperation. Don't get sucked into anti Indian feeling by people who might have other agendas. I for one have invested my money in Indonesia in the past and have great faith in its long term potential.
Thank you, I don't hate india, we have similar culture and we have a good relationship from long time ago.

LalTopi

KP

http://www.scimagolab.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/forecasting-excercise.pdf

better muslin country = IRAN (4° in science output in 2018.. if the US dont nuke before)

Indonesia outside first 50 countries, must invest more in culture and science, are the primary source of wealth and development (GDP does not mean anything in long term)
When the table compares 'science output' what does it mean? Is this the number of scientific papers published? Please explain as this is not clear.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indonesia is doing well.

Who knows?

They might!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Hey chicom,

What happened, you are still trying to flame, will that earn you 50 yuan more.
2 years India lost on what, what you dont get is, India doesnt care about dollar growth at the cost of its domestic economy and social order.
There is no race, you ----ers are lost already, everybody hates you, everybody wants cut you down to size, we can be as small as vietnam or as big as the US, you are still ----ed. Here's to the impending glassbowls that will be made on your lands, by the world in general. You guys are like the pedo's, even the inmates dont like you.
More than money, social order is most important.

If the economic disparity gets beyond control, then there will be revolutionary tendencies - the same atmosphere that charged and changed Russia and China and that would be dreadful as China and Russia have learnt by a harsh experience!

syncro

Country flag
What is your intention to compare Indonesia with Iran?

we are not a ranking-hungry nation, we are still building our country, Iran took from 1979 to become as now, we are still new, we just return to the normal country only from 1998, only 13 years ago, so there is still a long way to achieving our goals.

It is why Indonesia always to try to as low profile as we can.

But at least we're on the right track, in 2010 our government decided to allocate 20% of GDP to education, so our hope to be a developed country are still widely opened.

About culture, hehehe we have hundreds of different ethnic cultures and different languages too"‹"‹, there are about 300 languages "‹"‹in Papua province alone, and we are proud of our culture, so I don't know what you mean to say if we should invest more in culture...

but thank you for your advice...:cool2:
no, the rank of Iran in the table was a reply for the posts beloved :)

and the following reply is that it's stupid to focus only on GDP (read money), but for true development, there must be a balance in everything: culture, money, freedom, sense of nation, law enforcement, respect for others, etc... and as you wrote you must be a balanced race, a accelerated race only leads to imbalances which then lead to social conflicts.

And it's a good thing that Indonesia has started to invest heavily in education ;)

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Hello guys...
I'm Indonesian, and I registered here only to comment to some guys here who think that Indonesia is a most backward country in Asia :)...
Hmmm, I want to share with you, who say that Indonesia doesn't have Research Institute and some other things...
s Research and Development

We Indonesian know that we are poor, backward and not an industrialize country, but even though we are poor country, our GDP per capita and our living standard are better than India..

are uncivilized and backward country, but even though we are backward, .

Dear Butenzoorg ( hmmmm sounds more like a Dutch than indonesian name ? but anyway ! )

I'm not sure whom you were referring to , but it seems to me that you have taken some of our comments OUT OF CONTEXT
the cotext of our discussion was should Indoneia REPLACE India ...NOT whether indonesia has industry or is backward or uncivilised or whatever

If you read the article IN CONTEXT - it is about REPLACING India - and in that sense I continue to say " NO WAY ! "

Co-incidentally your SEEMING inability or perhaps refusal to read IN CONTEXT is a further proof of what some of us have been saying.

Secondly you have repeated an number of times that your country is backward, uncivilised ?? sorry that is NOT the issue - but again if you insist on having an inferiority complex - it is your choice

by the way a repeated display of an iinferiority complex or "poor me" syndrome should not be an excuse to buy sympathy-votes and popularity - at least i sure hope not - that would be a sick way for this forum to progress and if anyone 's attempt to win popularity by taking a poor me or poor us attitude then we are not discussing issues and im outa here .

I have always felt that on this forum we discuss hard and firm without taking it personally -, at least most of us

Finaly after all that - WELCOME to the forum - im not a moderator nor a member of the management , but welcome any way

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
all developing countries are "cheap labor" compared to the developed world.
and it was fareed zakira who first came up with the idea that indonesia should replace india in the brics.
and it was jim o'neil who said that india was the most disappointing of the brics.
so there go all your conspiracies on this thread.
the member above was quoting my one sentence post and he or she has read conspiracy theories into it ????

my reply is that we have had it to the full with chicoms who deliberately misread posts -in order to promote mischief and give ppur forum a bad ambience

my suggestion therefore is that chicoms' participation should be restricted to posts which refer directly to prc-china

although prc is a member of the brics , this discussion is about comparing indonesia replacing india - it does not concern china and therefore chicoms really need not participate .

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

HI syncro ..please tell us more about the rankings - i dont seem to understand them i admit - for exapmle India is ranked at no 4 for total scientific output - but in theuniversity tables there are hardly any indian universities at the top 100 levels does this mean that india pproduces quantity research but not quality ( according to the scimagolab point of view ? ) - or does it mean india has a lot of non-university scientific output perhaps from various institutes which are not universities ?

secondly in scimags ranking tables of whose url you quoted, malaysia is ranked above an original G7 member Italy - how can that be ? heheheh it's a bit hard to accept

secondly iran is supposed to upstage india for the 4th place and iran is expected to be #4 and india #5 in 2018 ? ? !!! - the massive india is gonna be inverted by much smaller iran ? really ?

( i can understand china upstagin usa for #1 position though .)

most grateful for your comeents, please and btw welcome to the forum as you are a relively newer member !

Last edited:

singa

Good point, my Indonesian friend. I am from Singapore.

Hello guys...

FYI here are some Indonesian research institutes:

LIPI(Indonesia Science Institute): It is science and research institute in Indonesia. It consists of 47 research centers in the fields ranging from social to natural sciences.

LAPAN(Lembaga Penerbangan dan Antariksa Nasional): Indonesia's National Institute of Aeronautics and Space

ICALRRD: Indonesian Center for Agricultural Land Resources Research and Development

and some other institutes from government and non-government organization.

you can search on google for more info: indonesian institute - Google Search

About the industrial base, I don't really know what industrial base you mean, if in terms of commodities, at least Indonesia has various industrial base of palm oil, natural gas, coal and other processing industry.

We Indonesian know that we are uncivilized and backward country, but even though we are backward, we still know how to manufacture a car, a plane, a motorcycle, a sneaker, and many other stuff which can exported to other countries including India.

And we know as Indonesians, India has a better economic growth, less corrupt, bigger economy and a non-dysfunctional government, but even though we are more corrupt, have a dysfunctional government, smaller economy and weaker economic growth, we still posted 6.3% growth in Q1 2012, our GDP PPP in 2011 are $1,122 trillion, GDP nominal in 2011 are $845,680 billion, and we have per capita GDP of $3,509 for 2011 when India the superpower of Asia has a GDP per capita of $1,389...

we are still poorer than India for sure :)...

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
appreciate the cleanup of this thread - it was going nowhere - great job Mods !

GromHellscream

I won't say there is no chance. Indonesia has a population base of 250 million, and that's enough potential in human resource for a country to grow as big as a median-sized developed country, something like South Korea nowadays or even bigger. Choosing the right way to industrilize itself is the most important part. Indonesia isn't such a backward country in many aspects. They even had a small scale of commercial aviation industry once before their ecnomic suffering huge lost in 1998. Meanwhile, there are strong competitors within similar developing stage in SE Asia. Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia or even the joke Philippine will have to compete for those industries transfered from other countries. Vietnam, with its better organized goverment and citizens, might have an upper hand in efficiency.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles