'US didn't see any reason for India to have 5,500-km range missiles'

lcafanboy

Country flag
IANS | New Delhi January 30, 2017 Last Updated at 20:54 IST

The US always felt India had no reason to pursue a missile programme with a range beyond 5,500 km because it would be enough to target China and anything more than that would be useless, according to a declassified 1990 CIA document.

The US assessment is borne out by India not yet deciding to go ahead with a missile beyond 5,000-km range of Agni V that was test fired recently even as reports suggest that a version of Agni V with Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry Warheads (MIRV) is being developed.

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in the partially declassified top secret intelligence assessment dated June 1, 1990, on the "Ballistic Missiles in India and Pakistan" said: "We see little benefit to India of developing ICBM-class (more than 5,500 km range) missile. A missile with considerable less range would be able to strike any target in China."

Any Indian ballistic missile with beyond 6,000 km range would be able to reach parts of Europe -- a target India never considered in its strategic defence programmes.

Most of the report has not been declassified.

Talking about Pakistan's ballistic missiles, the report says: "Both Hatf (I-II) are flawed by the lack of a guidance system and, hence, have very poor accuracy... Pakistan is attempting to obtain Scud missiles technology from North Korea and is developing LD - a probably longer range system."

"Pakistani officials have also been in contact with representatives of the European consortium that supervised the development of the 750-1,000 km range Condor II in Argentina. Production of the Condor II or another missile with a range longer than the Hatf II is likely in Pakistan by the mid-to-late 1990s."

The report clearly shows the US did not make any serious effort in restricting Pakistan from violating the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR). Pakistan went on to develop Shaheen III with range beyond 2,500 km.

India, on June 27, 2016, became 35th full member of the MTCR -- an informal and voluntary partnership among 35 countries, which prevent proliferation of missile technology over more than 300 km.
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...e-5-500-km-range-missiles-117013001173_1.html

Kshatriya87

Country flag
1990 CIA document? That was in 1990. It is 2017 now. Things are very much different.

Chinmoy

Country flag
1990 CIA document? That was in 1990. It is 2017 now. Things are very much different.
Things are no different. Still if India tests any longer range surface based missile, there would be international furor. That's the only reason why India is going for longer range SLBM and spreading its wings to be a true blue water navy.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Things are no different. Still if India tests any longer range surface based missile, there would be international furor. That's the only reason why India is going for longer range SLBM and spreading its wings to be a true blue water navy.
My point is that itself. India should not stop. More range means more cover and more global influence.

Chinmoy

Country flag
My point is that itself. India should not stop. More range means more cover and more global influence.
India would not go for any longer range SBM after A5. Next development would be SLBMs and MIRVs only. Any longer range SBM doesn't fit well with the current strategic and political doctrine of India.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
India would not go for any longer range SBM after A5. Next development would be SLBMs and MIRVs only. Any longer range SBM doesn't fit well with the current strategic and political doctrine of India.
If we indeed plan on developing long range ICBMs as SLBMs, I hope we make a very very very very very very very very (i can't stress this enough) very concerted effort towards making our SSBNs stealthy. The way they are now, its not all that difficult for a well equipped force to locate it. It will not be until 2040 that we get the sort of ultra-quiet SSBNs we need. Till then, our long-range deterrent will remain a paper tiger (unless we make such a concerted effort towards this tech).

Chinmoy

Country flag
If we indeed plan on developing long range ICBMs as SLBMs, I hope we make a very very very very very very very very (i can't stress this enough) very concerted effort towards making our SSBNs stealthy. The way they are now, its not all that difficult for a well equipped force to locate it. It will not be until 2040 that we get the sort of ultra-quiet SSBNs we need. Till then, our long-range deterrent will remain a paper tiger (unless we make such a concerted effort towards this tech).
Not really if you talk in broader terms. If you want to attack China with a long range SLBM, you could do it from anywhere in the world. Say a 6000 km range missile could hit China from gulf of Aden, or a 10000km range could target it from gulf of Mexico or Hawaii. In cases like these, SSBN which could accommodate such long range missile is good enough, provided you have good diplomatic relation with EU and US.

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
Not really if you talk in broader terms. If you want to attack China with a long range SLBM, you could do it from anywhere in the world. Say a 6000 km range missile could hit China from gulf of Aden, or a 10000km range could target it from gulf of Mexico or Hawaii. In cases like these, SSBN which could accommodate such long range missile is good enough, provided you have good diplomatic relation with EU and US.
Not quite the point I am trying to make here. If we intend to rely upon SLBMs, I would be more comfartable knowing that the USN cannot track our SSBNs out on a deterrent patrol.

Otherwise, the only area where the SSBN is likely to see deployment is in the Bay of Bengal. It can't venture near Diego Garcia or into the Arabian sea. Forget beyond.

Its prudent to significantly lower our SSBN's acoustic levels to levels that are at-least comparable to a diesel-electric submarine.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not quite the point I am trying to make here. If we intend to rely upon SLBMs, I would be more comfartable knowing that the USN cannot track our SSBNs out on a deterrent patrol.

Otherwise, the only area where the SSBN is likely to see deployment is in the Bay of Bengal. It can't venture near Diego Garcia or into the Arabian sea. Forget beyond.

Its prudent to significantly lower our SSBN's acoustic levels to levels that are at-least comparable to a diesel-electric submarine.
That is what I do mean too. Although it would be foolish not to bring down the acoustic level of our SSBNs, but for USN to intercept it, you have to have a quiet low in diplomatic relation in between US and India.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Cut all the crap...
I don't see any reason why US is concerned or feared about our's long range missiles......:confused1:o_O

Chinmoy

Country flag
Cut all the crap...
I don't see any reason why US is concerned or feared about our's long range missiles......:confused1:o_O
With A5 half of Europe is in reach of India. With any longer range, obviously you are talking about taking US in your range. So based on 1990 time frame, their is obvious reason for them to get spooked.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
IANS | New Delhi January 30, 2017 Last Updated at 20:54 IST

The US always felt India had no reason to pursue a missile programme with a range beyond 5,500 km because it would be enough to target China and anything more than that would be useless, according to a declassified 1990 CIA document.

The US assessment is borne out by India not yet deciding to go ahead with a missile beyond 5,000-km range of Agni V that was test fired recently even as reports suggest that a version of Agni V with Multiple Independently Targetable Re-entry Warheads (MIRV) is being developed.

The Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in the partially declassified top secret intelligence assessment dated June 1, 1990, on the "Ballistic Missiles in India and Pakistan" said: "We see little benefit to India of developing ICBM-class (more than 5,500 km range) missile. A missile with considerable less range would be able to strike any target in China."

Any Indian ballistic missile with beyond 6,000 km range would be able to reach parts of Europe -- a target India never considered in its strategic defence programmes.

Most of the report has not been declassified.

Talking about Pakistan's ballistic missiles, the report says: "Both Hatf (I-II) are flawed by the lack of a guidance system and, hence, have very poor accuracy... Pakistan is attempting to obtain Scud missiles technology from North Korea and is developing LD - a probably longer range system."

"Pakistani officials have also been in contact with representatives of the European consortium that supervised the development of the 750-1,000 km range Condor II in Argentina. Production of the Condor II or another missile with a range longer than the Hatf II is likely in Pakistan by the mid-to-late 1990s."

The report clearly shows the US did not make any serious effort in restricting Pakistan from violating the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR). Pakistan went on to develop Shaheen III with range beyond 2,500 km.

India, on June 27, 2016, became 35th full member of the MTCR -- an informal and voluntary partnership among 35 countries, which prevent proliferation of missile technology over more than 300 km.
http://www.business-standard.com/ar...e-5-500-km-range-missiles-117013001173_1.html
I don't find US any reason to even have any kind of weapon. Their neighbors are peaceful, if someone is hostile in rest of world towards them cuz they try to involve in their matters.
Leave em.

bose

Country flag
How did CIA know in 1990's that India is building missile beyond 6000 Km's ?

Khagesh

Probably because of this guy. The guy must be a strategic consultant by now with some think tank in US collaborating with Ashley Tellis. :)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles