Union Budget 2021

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Don't fool yourself. The pandemic affected the economy and any new taxes would have been death blow to many, and in addition it would have given the ruling Govt a hard kick from people. Essentially when the Govt is quick to show its splurge on subsidies, donation diplomacy and what not.
Subsidy on farming is the worst.
  • 1lakh crore+ on MSP
  • 65k crore on fertilizer subsides
  • A sizable amount by state govt for free power/water
Now compare that to the whole education budget which was just 94k crore for the last year. Hell even the defence budget doesn't look that big in comparison to these subsidies

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
so Even PF is not sacrosanct now ...I am sure they keep lowering this by 25 K odd each year ....

For sure their handling is under criticism

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com...nce-it-came-to-power/articleshow/80616170.cms
Wut ? If you think 2.5lakh employee PF limit is less, then your salary cash component is > 40lakh per annum

Kumata

Country flag
Wut ? If you think 2.5lakh employee PF limit is less, then your salary cash component is > 40lakh per annum
Aree Baba ,

I am not affected by this... they are basically trying to tax the interest component on accumulated PF if it's interest being credited is more than 2.5 Lakh in a year.... not contribution of more than 2.5 L a year......Some body contributing to his PF for past 15 odd year should easily qualify for this taxation...even if his yearly take home is <40 Lakh....

Point is bigger - If govt promotes PF as a retirement instrument and have kept it EEE , they shud keep it EEE in true sense and stays off it.. Anyways govt only uses this corpus for it's developmental work...

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Don't fool yourself. The pandemic affected the economy and any new taxes would have been death blow to many, and in addition it would have given the ruling Govt a hard kick from people. Essentially when the Govt is quick to show its splurge on subsidies, donation diplomacy and what not. And in fact, new tax has been added through 'cess'. C.Ex. duty has been reduced for time being to accommodate the cess on fuel. But, it is old trickery of BJP and it will soon increase the C.Ex. duty again to normal.

Also, we hardly had a war. We have a STALEMATE before an actual war. The cost of this hardly deserves even a cess.

Be clear that this Govt could have shown a gesture to middle class as they have given enough cuts to corporates. But obviously middle class doesn't even deserve a gesture from this govt.

Btw, the money and food given to the needy hardly keeps the demand cycle moving as those were used for purchase of necessary items only.

So, yeah, the budget wasn't bad. But, don't try to over-emphasize the magnanimity of Babaji towards middle class.
'Our economic model is about getting the private sector to get more investments', says Principle Economic Adviser, @sanjeevsanyal. Adds, that was the reason why there was no change in the tax structure.

Kumata

Country flag
'Our economic model is about getting the private sector to get more investments', says Principle Economic Adviser, @sanjeevsanyal. Adds, that was the reason why there was no change in the tax structure.

Do we have the data on PVT investments ....I mean what he said is correct.... they are giving many benefits to pvt sector and expecting them to invest but in reality is that happening ... My limited understanding on the subject is that Pvt sector is hoarding cash and sitting on cash pile earning interest... nothing else... or we are expecting results too soon.......

i could be wrong as well....

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Do we have the data on PVT investments ....I mean what he said is correct.... they are giving many benefits to pvt sector and expecting them to invest but in reality is that happening ... My limited understanding on the subject is that Pvt sector is hoarding cash and sitting on cash pile earning interest... nothing else... or we are expecting results too soon.......

i could be wrong as well....
You are not wrong, we have to wait another year to see this happening on the ground. investments have happened that's for sure, based on FDI data. products should start rolling out from next year, if investments have come in this year.

Kumata

Country flag
You are not wrong, we have to wait another year to see this happening on the ground. investments have happened that's for sure, based on FDI data. products should start rolling out from next year, if investments have come in this year.
FDI is Okie... that's from Outside... govt is giving sops to local industrial houses via cut of corporate taxes etc... My Question was more towards domestic investment by domestic players....

IMO, almost everybody is doing sticker job .. For eg , LLoyd group.. they are importing everything from china and stamping lloyd here and selling ...I had the misfortune of buying their washing machine which went kaput in years time.. opened it myself to see made in china sticker all around :)

Same for Bajaj.. electrical / electronics specifically....

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Aree Baba ,

I am not affected by this... they are basically trying to tax the interest component on accumulated PF if it's interest being credited is more than 2.5 Lakh in a year.... not contribution of more than 2.5 L a year......Some body contributing to his PF for past 15 odd year should easily qualify for this taxation...even if his yearly take home is <40 Lakh....

Point is bigger - If govt promotes PF as a retirement instrument and have kept it EEE , they shud keep it EEE in true sense and stays off it.. Anyways govt only uses this corpus for it's developmental work...
From what I see in the media, its contribution in a year and not interest on total corpus

New tax on interest for people who contribute over Rs 2.5 lakh a year to employees’ PF

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
FDI is Okie... that's from Outside... govt is giving sops to local industrial houses via cut of corporate taxes etc... My Question was more towards domestic investment by domestic players....

IMO, almost everybody is doing sticker job .. For eg , LLoyd group.. they are importing everything from china and stamping lloyd here and selling ...I had the misfortune of buying their washing machine which went kaput in years time.. opened it myself to see made in china sticker all around :)

Same for Bajaj.. electrical / electronics specifically....
This is why i said, you are not wrong in my earlier post. Govt sops are going into "baniya" pockets, FDI is creating new plants because foreign investor will not allow that money to be swallowed by "baniya".

Hari Sud

Country flag
How much is Defence Budget increase over last year....... could somebody convert it to US dollars before anti Indian westerners convert it.

Kumata

Country flag
From what I see in the media, its contribution in a year and not interest on total corpus

New tax on interest for people who contribute over Rs 2.5 lakh a year to employees’ PF

My Bad .. I misread most probably ..I don't know which sector you work in but in IT industry.. 40 L is a pretty normal.. specially around Bangalore / South.. in NCR too this is not unheard of.....

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
My Bad .. I misread most probably ..I don't know which sector you work in but in IT industry.. 40 L is a pretty normal.. specially around Bangalore / South.. in NCR too this is not unheard of.....

Yeah, 40l+ cash and 80l+ Total compensation (stocks) is common in the Tech Product industry. But its definitely not common in the number of people earning this number. You can't claim to be "middle class" if you're earning such amounts of money

Last edited:

Kumata

Country flag
Yeah, 40lcash and 80l+ Total compensation (stocks) is common in the Tech Product industry. But its definitely not common in the number of people earning this number. You can't claim to be "middle class" if you're earning such amounts of money
Right.. Agree but I did not like them taxing the Provident fund.. in any form... PF was considered sacrosanct in terms of taxation ..

Anyways PF Is included in miniscule 80 C .. so this gets covered there as well..so either way Person gets taxed outside of this 80C .. only benefit was handsome interest rate ...

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

Kumata

Country flag
You have a short memory :) Remember the riots over this ?

Think this was rolled back too... I was browsing other forums and people were giving example of this asking people to protest at all available forums ...shitter / Social media... to foce govt's hand.. think they will manage it this time since farmers are eating away all the limelight...

Makes sense.. nobody listens to sane voice anywhere in democracy:rofl::rofl:....

Mantospace

Country flag
No support for ISRO. Seems like just allocated money to keep running its offices.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles