UK's largest ever warship, HMS Queen Elizabeth, sets sail for the first time

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I am surprised at the second island where the air traffic control will be located. Those windows are massive. Never seen those kinds of windows in an aircraft carrier.

Another comparison with other carriers:

Last edited:

here2where

I bet there is a mosque inside this BRITSLAMIC warship, or atleast a seperate prayer room to be used 5 times a day? How about the beef served on board - halal? They don't require alarms to wake up am sure. 5 AM pissful mooo-call should do the trick.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I bet there is a mosque inside this BRITSLAMIC warship, or atleast a seperate prayer room to be used 5 times a day? How about the beef served on board - halal? They don't require alarms to wake up am sure. 5 AM pissful mooo-call should do the trick.
Didn't you hear? Trump secretly converted to Islam in his trip to Saudi. He only eat chicken and beef now...

Neil

Country flag
Cost. Nuclear propulsion is vastly more expensive to install. Also, as part of cost saving measures is the use of F-35B so as not to require catapults and traps.
sure, but the initial saving of cost will make up for the cost that will be needed to fuel its ops. Plus the pros for nuclear propulsion out weighs its cons.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
sure, but the initial saving of cost will make up for the cost that will be needed to fuel its ops. Plus the pros for nuclear propulsion out weighs its cons.
I'm sure the British have a better rationale for choosing conventional powered AC. It would not have been hard for them to operate nuclear powered ACs since they have been operating for a long time now nuclear powered subs.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
I'm sure the British have a better rationale for choosing conventional powered AC. It would not have been hard for them to operate nuclear powered ACs since they have been operating for a long time now nuclear powered subs.
It costs more Building as well as operating.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I wouldn't call it a strategic failure. Let's just say that the RN needs to work within a budget and that's how they maximized it.

BTW, i wouldn't really consider France's CDG as really potent, it's a dry dock queen...

lcafanboy

Country flag
I wouldn't call it a strategic failure. Let's just say that the RN needs to work within a budget and that's how they maximized it.

BTW, i wouldn't really consider France's CDG as really potent, it's a dry dock queen...
If it wasn't a strategic failure the why in 2009 British wanted to off load (offered) this useless ship's sister ship (Prince of Wales) to India for $4.5 billion?

Thank god this didn't happened otherwise IN would have stuck with another Useless carrier (will only work with FAT-35Bs which won't be able to lift required weapons load or have enough range), the first being INS Vikramaditya for which we are stuck with MIG29Ks and we won't find another fighter which can operate from it which will render it useless.

Do you know INS Vikrant with Rafales (which will have better range and payload) will be more potent than this USELESS Duck?:):):)

no smoking

Country flag
If it wasn't a strategic failure the why in 2009 British wanted to off load (offered) this useless ship's sister ship (Prince of Wales) to India for $4.5 billion?
Because after 2008 global financial crisis, British wallet was hit quite hard. They were cutting any unnecessary expense to save money.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Actually the Brits contemplated in 2009 of selling both new carriers in construction. That was a drastic way of cost-cutting then.

The French on their part altogether scrapped their planned aircraft carriers in 2013.

Interestingly, HMS QE will house US Marines F-35Bs along with RAF/RNs F-35s in its early operational stages to make up for the shortage of RAF/RN F-35s.

Last edited:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
It does not need it because it will employ F-35B.
Yes, but an aircraft carrier is not supposed to be designed around an aircraft. Apart from the f 35B, she has no option. Any other modern 5th gen carrier capable fighter that may arise in the next 50 years is off limits, since it would most probably need CATOBAR. Most aircraft carriers operate many types of fighters in their liftetime, keeping in touch with changes in technology. This ship on the other hand will be stuck with the first and only fighter it operates.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yes, but an aircraft carrier is not supposed to be designed around an aircraft. Apart from the f 35B, she has no option. Any other modern 5th gen carrier capable fighter that may arise in the next 50 years is off limits, since it would most probably need CATOBAR. Most aircraft carriers operate many types of fighters in their liftetime, keeping in touch with changes in technology. This ship on the other hand will be stuck with the first and only fighter it operates.

On the contrary HMS QE will be flexible. Aside from F-35Bs she can host Apaches, Chinooks, Merlins and Wildcats. this aircraft carrier is more akin to USS America class LHAs than Nimitz class.

airtel

Country flag

Thank god this didn't happened otherwise IN would have stuck with another Useless carrier (will only work with FAT-35Bs which won't be able to lift required weapons load or have enough range), the first being INS Vikramaditya for which we are stuck with MIG29Ks and we won't find another fighter which can operate from it which will render it useless.

Do you know INS Vikrant with Rafales (which will have better range and payload) will be more potent than this USELESS Duck?:):):)
Ins Vikramaditya is not useless ..............it was the cheapest available Aircraft Carrier and More than Enough for Entire paki Navy .

and we paid Extra Money to Russia so that unofficially we can get technology related to INS Arihant .

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
On the contrary HMS QE will be flexible. Aside from F-35Bs she can host Apaches, Chinooks, Merlins and Wildcats. this aircraft carrier is more akin to USS America class LHAs than Nimitz class.
I meant in terms of fighter jets.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I meant in terms of fighter jets.

F-35s are flexible. As the latest Red Flag will show you they can do air dominance roles, strike roles and even act as mini-AWACS. What they cannot do however is act as buddy refuelers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles