U.N. report: Chinese bullets killed peacekeepers in Darfur

ejazr

Ambassador
http://www.borglobe.com/25.html?m7:post=u-n-report-chinese-bullets-killed-peacekeepers-in-darfur

China has mounted a strenuous diplomatic campaign to block the publication of a U.N. report claiming that Chinese ammunition was shipped into Darfur, Sudan, during the past year, in clear violation of U.N. sanctions, four U.N. diplomatic sources familiar with the China's effort told Turtle Bay. The findings by a U.N. Security Council-mandated Panel of Experts provide some of the strongest evidence to date that the Sudanese government in Khartoum imported arms and ammunition in violation of an arms embargo, routinely channeling them into Darfur, where it is engaged in a military campaign against local rebel groups.

The expert panel, which monitors a 6-year-old U.N. arms embargo in Sudan, presented its report in a closed-door briefing to the U.N. Security Council on October 4. The panel claimed that Sudanese forces had used more than a dozen types of Chinese ammunition in battles with Darfurian rebels in north and west Darfur over the past two years.

The report does not claim that Chinese arms dealers were aware that their munitions would make their way to Darfur. However, shell casings from Chinese ammunition were found at the sites of numerous attacks against U.N.-African Union peacekeeping forces, carried out by unidentified assailants. The casings show that the ammunition was manufactured after 2009, half a decade after the sanctions went into force. In all, the panel uncovered a total 18 varieties of shell casings, including 12 from China,4 from Sudan and 2 from Israel..

China responded angrily to the revelations and insisted that if the findings were not rewritten, it would block the report's release to the public, according to diplomats. "These were very concrete allegations against the Chinese," said a U.N.-based source familiar with the internal dispute over China's arms. "The Chinese don't want the report to be published."

Under the terms of the U.N. arms embargo, Khartoum is allowed to purchase weapons abroad as long as they are not used in its military operations in Darfur. The report found that Khartoum had routinely skirted the law. In addition to the Chinese munitions, the Sudanese government used recently purchased Russian helicopters, Sukhoi 25 fighter planes from Belarus, and at least one Russian Mig-20 Fighter jet in Darfur.

During the October 4 meeting, China's U.N. delegation threatened to veto the adoption of a resolution extending the panel's mandate for another year -- a move that would have essentially killed it off. But the country's delegation relented following discussions with the United States and Britain and instead abstained on the resolution. In remarks following the vote, China made its displeasure with the panel's work clear.

"China has serious concerns over the annual report submitted by the panel of experts on the Sudan sanctions committee and believes that there is much room for improvement in the work of the panel," a Chinese diplomat, Yang Tao, told the council Thursday "We urge the panel of experts to conduct its work under the principles of objectivity and responsibility." A spokesman for the Chinese mission to the United Nations, Yutong Liu, did not respond to a request for comment.

The U.N. Security Council imposed sanctions on Sudan in 2004 and again in 2005. They include an arms embargo for Darfur and targeted financial and travel bans on Sudanese nationals accused of violating U.N. demands.

This is not the first time that the panel has alleged that large amounts of foreign ammunition and weapons have been trafficked into Darfur. In recent years, the panel has repeatedly raised concerns about illegal imports, principally from China and Chad. Such munitions have helped fuel a conflicts that has left more than 300,000 dead and driven more than 2.7 million from their homes.

In recent months, a peace accord between Sudan and Chad has lessened smuggling over the border, but the panel maintains that arms do continue to trickle into Sudan. Two samples of ammunition used by the Justice and Equality Movement (JEM) -- one of the largest Darfur rebel groups -- for example, were manufactured in Israel. The panel said that Israel confirmed that the ammunition was sold to the government of Chad. And Chad -- which also signed an end-user agreement with Israel not to ship the arms to a third country -- has long been accused of smuggling weapons to JEM as a proxy counterweight to the government in Khartoum.

For years, the expert panel has pressed the council to strengthen its capacity to enforce the sanctions, which have been routinely violated by Sudan and rebel groups. But efforts to reform the panel, or to target more Sudanese officials with sanctions have been blocked, primarily by China. Last year, the former head of the panel, Nico Carisch, testified before the U.S. Congress that the Security Council had failed to act on more than 100 panel recommendations aimed at strengthening the sanctions. He also faulted the Barack Obama administration as well as the governments of France and Britain for doing little to force a more public debate.

The panel's most recent report shows how difficult it is to enforce the sanctions. For instance, Russia has sold some 36 Mi-24 and Mi-17 helicopters to Khartoum since 2009, while Belarus sold 15 Sukhoi 25 jets to the Sudanese government since 2008, according to the panel. Sudan signed end user agreements with both governments guaranteeing that the aircraft would not be used in Dafur. But the panel alleged that several of the aircraft had been used in military operations in Darfur. In fact, Sudan acknowledged to the panel that it had transferred some of the aircraft into Darfur, but claimed that they had not been used in military operations and therefore did not violate sanctions.

While Russian diplomats have responded diplomatically to the allegations, China has sought to flex its muscles. "They demanded a complete rewrite of the report," said one official familiar with the deliberations. "But they have no factual basis to object.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
sheer hypocrisy of usa and west.Will they blame russia for every peacekeeper killed by AK-47???Or will usa blame itself for the stingers it provided to terrorists???

badguy2000

Respected Member
well, why don't those moder anti-communism crusaders simply say that all victims of moder wars were killed by gunpowder invented by CHinese?

SHASH2K2

well, why don't those moder anti-communism crusaders simply say that all victims of moder wars were killed by gunpowder invented by CHinese?
What an answer. I salute you. Someone should learn art of diverting the topic or ducking an uncomfortable question from you. You cannot run away from responsibility by giving such answers. Bullets were made in china or not?

badguy2000

Respected Member
What an answer. I salute you. Someone should learn art of diverting the topic or ducking an uncomfortable question from you. You cannot run away from responsibility by giving such answers. Bullets were made in china or not?
the plane hijacked to knock The World Trade Center in New York in 911 was also made in USA......

And can you assure that AK47 thas was used to assualt people in Bombay last year was not made in India?:happy_2:

Can you assure that weapons used by Maoist rebel in India are not made in India?

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
the plane hijacked to knock The World Trade Center in New York in 911 was also made in USA......

And can you assure that AK47 thas was used to assualt people in Bombay last year was not made in India?:happy_2:

Can you assure that weapons used by Maoist rebel in India are not made in India?
I can gurantee you that weapons for maoist were made in china coz they are cheap chinese copy of ak-47.

SHASH2K2

I accept that there is nothing wrong with Made in China label for bullets despite an International Arm embargo for that country. But I fail to understand that Why Chinese government was lobbying so hard to stop the report . IT clearly proves that something is Fishy and China is that fish which is afraid to be in net.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
how "made in china" tag it implicates china????may be they are non state weapons like the non-state actors.

SHASH2K2

how "made in china" tag it implicates china????may be they are non state weapons like the non-state actors.
check the post just above your question . I think that question answers your question.Its not about made in China but intrest of China to suppress the report.

badguy2000

Respected Member
I can gurantee you that weapons for maoist were made in china coz they are cheap chinese copy of ak-47.
can you assure that none of weapons used by India's maoist rebels is made in India???? haha...lier's nose would become longer...

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
I accept that there is nothing wrong with Made in China label for bullets despite an International Arm embargo for that country. But I fail to understand that Why Chinese government was lobbying so hard to stop the report . IT clearly proves that something is Fishy and China is that fish which is afraid to be in net.
Brand image of the country gets spoiled by such western propaganda reports thats why china is lobbying hard.And this is the one lesson GOI has to learn from china...never allow the country brand image get spoiled by the interested propaganda groups.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
can you assure that none of weapons used by India's maoist rebels is made in India???? haha...just anwser after looking into your eyes in the front of a mirror.
yes coz even the knives and shaving blades in indian markets have made in china tag....Ho.Ho

SHASH2K2

Brand image of the country gets spoiled by such western propaganda reports thats why china is lobbying hard.And this is the one lesson GOI has to learn from china...never allow the country brand image get spoiled by the interested propaganda groups.
so they should try to suppress the Illegal arms business running through illegal involvement of their state ordinance factories rather than suppressing such news. Chinese are notorious smugglers of small arms and somewhat their governments is also responsible for it.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
so they should try to suppress the Illegal arms business running through illegal involvement of their state ordinance factories rather than suppressing such news. Chinese are notorious smugglers of small arms and somewhat their governments is also responsible for it.
Thats uphill task. when you get all copies of weapons locally made in peshawar gun market and many eastern european countries.

badguy2000

Respected Member
well, Once many CHinese commons like me also thought that west medias should have more credit than CCP offical throats like CCTV and Xinhua.

But now, many of them ,including me, realized that west medias and CCP's offical throats are just two sides of one same coin .Both are ideological tools to fool commons and full of prejudges and propagandas.

However it is very interesting to find that many democracy Crusaders from west and India try their best to hawk "democracy is best undoubtedly and communism is garbage",just as many Maoism Red-Guards in China try their best to hawk " Maoism is greatest undoubtely and Capitalism is corrupted..."

Luckily, I am now immune to those propagandas.....and I always find that I have a complex of superiority , when discussing with those democracy-crusaders or Red-Guards,whose low IQ make them yesmen of their governmental throats .

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Luckily, I am now immune to those propagandas.....and I always find that I have a complex of superiority for a higher IQ than those democracy-crusaders or Red-Guards.
Complex about something should be backed by facts or should be displayed by your Ideas. You can feel whatever you want to. After all China has Freedom of Feeling at least.

badguy2000

Respected Member
well to tell the truth, most Chinese commons don't care how much china-made weapons are sold outside China, as long as weapons are not allowed to be hold by Chinese inside CHina.

I aknowledge it, just because we Chinese are not as hypocritical as west guys... those guys always hawk how moral they are while they dump much more weapons to other than CHinese ...

Just as a Chinese old saying, west guys are as hypocritcal as a prostitute who insist that her virginity deseve more honor and respect than the Virgin Mary(西方又要当婊子,又要立牌坊).

Last edited:

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
well, Once many CHinese commons like me also thought that west medias should have more credit than CCP offical throats like CCTV and Xinhua.

But now, many of them ,including me, realized that west medias and CCP's offical throats are just two sides of one same coin .Both are ideological tools to fool commons and full of prejudges and propagandas.

However it is very interesting to find that many democracy Crusaders from west and India try their best to hawk "democracy is best undoubtedly and communism is garbage",just as many Maoism Red-Guards in China try their best to hawk " Maoism is greatest undoubtely and Capitalism is corrupted..."

Luckily, I am now immune to those propagandas.....and I always find that I have a complex of superiority , when discussing with those democracy-crusaders or Red-Guards,whose low IQ make them yesmen of their governmental throats .
there is difference between communist crusaders and democratic crusaders....communist crusaders has ability to recognise only foreign propaganda not the states own internal propaganda where as democratic crusaders have ability to recognise both internal as well as external propaganda.

Hence your claim that ," I am now immune to those propagandas" is true coz u are able to recognoze only external one not the internal one.your internal state owned propaganda has made you immune to only internal propaganda not the external propaganda.And this is for you..............

BTW food for thought ...superiority complex comes from internal inferiority complex....

Good China, better India?

The tumultuous India that we berate is on a secure footing, but stable China faces a blackout

When I was growing up in the Northeast in the early 80s, China was considered the slit-eyed paradise, Bruce Lee's home, and, hence, everyone there was a black-belt angel.

If you had a headache, you put "Chinabum" (that's what locals called Tiger Balm, a red, fiery jelly) on your forehead. If your joints hurt, you put Chinabum again.

If you had flu, you put Chinabum. In short, Chinabum was good for everything. Then you had those black canvas Kung-Fu shoes: tremendously comfy, shamefully flat and decently durable.

When I wore my first pair, I broke my little toe after a kicking fit. That's what watching The 36th Chamber of Shaolin can do to a teen. I can't forget the Wing Chun pens.

They were the cornerstones of the penmanship culture of the NE in the pre-keypad era. Then you had Shield ping-pong balls and Butterfly ping-pong racquets. Great ball, great rubber.

Add pencil torches, half-black-half-feather pillows, jackets and toys to that, and you could see that the Sino-Indian smuggling industry was thriving.

On trains to the NE, it wasn't hard to meet raucous salesmen who sold cheap, synthetic underwear (I felt the fabric and could tell heat boils would come free with it.) and "sexy chewing gum".

I remember my friend Jayanta trying out some aphrodisiac gum and shaking his head an hour later and saying aloud, "Hardly anything".

Since Arunachal Pradesh received Chinese radio stations, it took on an even more fantastic sheen because we got to hear weird songs you heard only in the much-loved trashy martial arts films.

All of us agreed India was a dump filled with Bata stores.

Two decades later, when I honeymooned in China, I realised the Chinese can't crib about their country as vocally as we can. We are free to love and hate here, but in China, you're free to only love China and Mao.

China is calm on the outside, boiling on the inside. India is chaotic on the outside, but the democratic foundation is rock solid, despite our one-dimensional hardliners.

An urban Indian will feel at home in Beijing's smog and the buzzing markets of Shanghai. S/he'll be floored by the charm of Xi'an. However, the overall Chinese vibe is opaque.

One thing I understood was how the Chinese are as literal as they are symbolists. While noodles stand for longevity, Xi'an's red-light area is actually lit with red lamps.

Probably, it is the wholesome Communist thing to do.

If you stop to listen to pro-democracy musicians in China's subway stations, your tour guide will drag you away, saying that's not the real deal.

They think we don't know that the true measure of a country's system lies in its underbelly. I was surprised when my guide said nothing much had happened at the Tiananmen Square.

"Little boys angry 'bout sumthig. No TV then, so nobody know," she explained.
The day we landed, she started off our tour with a little red history lesson — that Tibet and Arunachal Pradesh are federal Chinese territories.

Next time you complain what a dump India is, you must keep in mind that we're allowed to call our country a dump and agree with Pakistan on the Kashmir issue.

We would have gloated had anybody like Liu Xiaobo got the Nobel Peace Prize, even if he had believed only Communism could salvage India.

Our state-sponsored internal violence does not stay a secret for too long because we have a relentless media. A good example would be the media disclosure that the top Maoist leader Azad was shot at point-blank by the Andhra Pradesh police.

Liu, an advocate of democracy, was thrown in jail last December. He got 11 years for drafting a manifesto called Charter '08, calling for political reform, guarantee of human rights and an independent judicial system.

It was signed electronically by thousands of intellectuals, students and even former Communists. However, once the government saw the reach of the last bastion of free speech, the internet, it was duly blocked.

So, many ordinary Chinese have no idea about the charter. This happened around the same time Google was trying to eke out a deal for a "freer" search engine.

The Nobel win was not only blanked out by the media, but the commie bosses put liberalists, academics and bloggers, who were with Liu, in 'soft detention'. This basically means a total communication blackout.

China's most famous human rights lawyer, Pu Zhiqiang, is still under watch after a three-day detention. What the Chinese bosses have missed is that you cannot blank out the aspirations of millions of young people who agree with Liu's non-violent protest.

We Indians are privileged because we can speak for the Maoists and not get arrested, slam the CWG and still enjoy the Games.As an economist friend of mine put it, "China has goods, India has better." Disregard the grammar, and you'll see what he means.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

well to tell the truth, most Chinese commons don't care how much china-made weapons are sold outside China, as long as weapons are not allowed to be hold by Chinese inside CHina.
So you Chinese follow policy of cleaning your own home and throwing garbage to the doors of neighbor . You will sleep easy as you home is clean and least bothered about you making others home dirty.

Just as a Chinese old saying, west medias are as hypocritcal as a prostitute who insist that she deseve more honor than the Virgin Mary
So you all Chinese are Virgin Mary?
By the way who is this Li Paifang ?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Valid point.

The Chinese did invent the gunpowder.

However, such a accusation would fall under the logic of the undistributed middle i.e.
Milk is White.
Stork is White.
Therefore, Milk is Stork!

The fact of Sudan is that the Chinese exported the ammunition to Sudan violating the embargo, which she was mandated to uphold as a member of the UN and more so, a responsible permanent member of the UN Security Council.

If the Expert Panel is wrong, then they should be proved so.

But if something has to be hidden, then it is prudent (though immoral) to move heaven and earth to prevent being exposed as a black sheep!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles