Three naval personnel killed at dockyard

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Three naval personnel killed at dockyard

18/05/2011

Hyderabad, May 18 (IANS) Three Indian Navy personnel were killed and another was injured Wednesday in an accident at the Navy dockyard at Visakhapatnam on the east coast, an official said.

The accident took place when the floodgate at the ship repair unit of the dockyard collapsed.

A commander, a lieutenant commander and a senior sailor were killed while another sailor has been admitted to INHS Kalyani hospital in the coastal city.

Visakhapatnam is the headquarters of the Eastern Naval Command.
Three naval personnel killed at dockyard - *National News – News – MSN India

RIP to Navy men, may God give courage to family and friends of these men at this difficult time.

SpArK

SORCERER
Mishap in naval dockyard kills 4

Four Navy personnel, including two officers, died when the flooding gate collapsed in the Ship Building Centre inside the naval dockyard in Vishakapatnam on Wednesday morning.

The flooding gates are meant to take sea water into the dry dock. The flooding gate collapsed resulting in the death of four Navy personnel and severe injuries to one sailor, according to Navy Navy spokesman Commander T.L.P. Babu.

The Hindu : Cities / Visakhapatnam : Mishap in naval dockyard kills 4

pankaj nema

Country flag
Very bad and sad news .

In some more bad news An Army officer died during the exercise vijayee bhava due to dehydration which led to cardiac failure

RIP Gentlemen . May God give courage to the family members of the deceased

Bot

Non stop posting
Banned
Sad to hear the news but accidents do happen , important to take care of the wounded and the families of the dead.

Support to the families must be provided immediately and political delays should be avoided is what we can wish.

johnee

Can there be an angle of subterfuge?(I dont know much about this accident, so asking generally)...

johnee

A Commander, Lieutenant Commander and a Master Chief were killed. Are these senior ranks or mid-level...?

Also, could someone explain what is meant by 'taking sea water into dry dock'?

Bot

Non stop posting
Banned
A Commander, Lieutenant Commander and a Master Chief were killed. Are these senior ranks or mid-level...?

I cannot comment on the rank bit.

But taking sea water in can be explained , the dry docks work in a very similar manner if you have seen a hydro electric dam, the huge gates stop the water reserve.
The ships are built on solid rails , most work done without water but at every level of work done a lot of tests , including the buoyancy tests , sea water which is held on reserve is let in via giant gates.

As the amount of water needed to test is huge and reserving such a huge amount of water does exert a lot of pressure , for that there are various safety valves and techniques used to let the water pressure to optimized level.
The accident today depicts that of a ship in sea and one of its rims burst open by the water force, the resulting disaster can be equated here as the flow of water nor the pressure will be optimized or under control.

Hope i am right because i am not technically qualified to answer any further details of operation.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

this is dry dock with sub (it is no water for repair purposes)

here it is flooded with water

this is i believe 'taking sea water into dry dock' (my guess)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
just watch this
this is done in control manner and now think if door that hold water collapse then water will come running with 5 times speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
wait a min.....INS Arihant is in harbour trials. So it must have been floated out by now. And Vishakapatnam builds only ATVs and maintains Submarines. So which submarine was floated out?

Rage

DFI TEAM
Very sad. I'm posting two R.I.P.'s in successive days. And it's not looking good.

A Commander usually commands a frigate, sub or destroyer; a Lt. Comm. is usually in charge of smaller ships like a minesweeper or naval patrol vessel or in command at an onshore site or location; a Master Chief is just above the Chief Petty Officer and is in charge of liasoning between the Commanding Officer and enlisted ranks at sea and of various administrative works onshore. A Commander is about equivalent in rank to a Lt. Col., a Lieutenant Commander to a Major and a Master Chief to a Subedar/Risaldar Major in the Army.

warriorextreme

Country flag

If this news is to be believed then this was the second nuclear submarine that is being built currently..

Last edited by a moderator:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
^^

This news is not new, this has been told previously also that 3 hulls of Arihant class were in different level of construction. First one is lunched, this might be the second

pmaitra

As per latest report 4 died.

RIP to the Naval personnel and condolences to their family and friends.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles