Thorium Power.

mamamia12

This is true, world wide other than russia and china nobody has figured out nuclear at scale. All western reactors are facing comedy level delays and issues .
In any slow moving huge manpower requirement Industry, the Western Model gonna fail in "Scale" ofcourse in r&d they are gonna be superior but implementation sense unless they gonna go the Soviet "Institute or Govt owned Company" way they gonna struggle.

karn

Country flag
In any slow moving huge manpower requirement Industry, the Western Model gonna fail in "Scale" ofcourse in r&d they are gonna be superior but implementation sense unless they gonna go the Soviet "Institute or Govt owned Company" way they gonna struggle.
Not really .. It is just that the western nuclear industry is fragmented under multiple companies .. So any western nuke plant needs a lot of collaboration to even start anything. On top of that greenpeace type chutiyas have absolutely killed the govmint support for nuclear power.
Rosatom on the other hand is an entirely vertically integrated nuke power company .
And what is the advantage of a fully vertically integrated nuke power company ?
If you call them up and ask for a nuke plant all they will ask from you is for land and sufficient water (for the steam turbines) and a few hundred competent folks that can be taught to operate it .
So Rosatom can
1 . Set up the nuke plant
2. Train staff to man it.
3. Provide fuel for the plant
4. Take care of the nuclear waste.
In western context multiple companies and even govt agencies would be involved with the above steps making it very very expensive. So russia is weirdly enough is superior in even a "capitalist " sense.

Im not sure about china .. I just included them as they have the highest number of plants.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
So

stage 1 and 2 are completed and 33 percent of the 3rd stage is completed?
Ya'll Nibbiars The Third stages.

Unfortunately it is not possible to believe anything that barc says about timelines and progress even in Official statements .
It's is not entirely their fault the nuclear industry moves at glacial speeds worldwide .
Besides the 3rd stage needs a lot of u233 from 2nd stage which is still not in commercial production.
Ya'll Nibbiars within a deceade major breakthrough can be expected.

mokoman

Country flag
No . They have a prototype version of the PFBR . Even though the P stands for prototype it is intended for commercial use ... which is not the case with the chinese reactor.
i mean this one TMSR-LF1 , thorium-based molten salt reactor . its supposed to eventually takes in majority thorium as fuel . which is our 3rd stage ?

my understanding is . 3rd stage is a reactor that only takes in thorium as fuel , start it up with hard to get uranium u-233 + easily available thorium , then only need to put in thorium . the hard to get u-233 is created by stage 2 .

‘Not really….. ours development of 3rd stage is proceeding well.
for 3rd stage we are supposed to build this reactor , news from 2017 says its still under design . maybe another 20 years.

Blademaster

i mean this one TMSR-LF1 , thorium-based molten salt reactor . its supposed to eventually takes in majority thorium as fuel . which is our 3rd stage ?

my understanding is . 3rd stage is a reactor that only takes in thorium as fuel , start it up with hard to get uranium u-233 + easily available thorium , then only need to put in thorium . the hard to get u-233 is created by stage 2 .

for 3rd stage we are supposed to build this reactor , news from 2017 says its still under design . maybe another 20 years.

Why would it take 20 years to build a nuclear reactor???? Why does it take such a long time??? Am I missing something??

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag

Why would it take 20 years to build a nuclear reactor???? Why does it take such a long time??? Am I missing something??
Ya'll Nibbiars FYI AHWR is not the only and final third stage reactor.

The India is only one that doing it, the others are not even trying. The PRC is just a planning project at this stage. They never declared any full fledged programme like us. We only have the Three Stage Thorium Power Programme. Do they even have Thorium reserves like us?. India has enough Thoroum Reseves to power for 1 lakh years.

mokoman

Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars FYI AHWR is not the only and final third stage reactor.

The India is only one that doing it, the others are not even trying. The PRC is just a planning project at this stage. They never declared any full fledged programme like us. We only have the Three Stage Thorium Power Programme. Do they even have Thorium reserves like us?. India has enough Thoroum Reseves to power for 1 lakh years.
any news about AHWR .

Blackmamba

Country flag

Thats a molten salt reactor not a Advanced heavy water reactor (AHWR) which is the third stage.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles