'The Taliban, Per Se, Is Not Our Enemy'

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
VP Biden Says that ‘The Taliban, Per Se, Is Not Our Enemy’ - ABC News

"We are in a position where if Afghanistan ceased and desisted from being a haven for people who do damage and have as a target the United States of America and their allies, that's good enough. That's good enough. We're not there yet. Look, the Taliban per se is not our enemy. That's critical. There is not a single statement that the president has ever made in any of our policy assertions that the Taliban is our enemy because it threatens U.S. interests. If, in fact, the Taliban is able to collapse the existing government, which is cooperating with us in keeping the bad guys from being able to do damage to us, then that becomes a problem for us."

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Not wrong its not the Taliban but the terror US is fighting and after all if both parties manage to reach a truce, every thing will go to Status quo.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
lol at all those in India who keep falling for the yanks again and again :pound:

Answer me has west ever killed 1 LeT terrorist ?

trackwhack

For all you know, there was never an Al Qaeda or Osama. It could never get more convenient that the sea burial!

pmaitra

Eventually, the US (or US VP) concludes that Taliban is not an enemy.

Fine. If that is meant to be the outcome of all this invasion and a protracted war, why not hit the point directly with Iran as well? Why think of invasion when the US can talk them into being more friendly towards Israel and at the same time secure a shorter route to Afghanistan that is not subject to the whims and fancies of the Pakistani government and the numerous other entities that actually govern the country?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Its 'America's war on Terror' to wipe out terrorists who targeted Americans.
and taliban dont target and kill americans ?

simple point is that they dont want to lose pakistan because they see it as a way to keep tabs on both India and china and also used to contain. unlike many they see the larger picture well into the future...one must give them credit for that.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
lol at all those in India who keep falling for the yanks again and again :pound:

Answer me has west ever killed 1 LeT terrorist ?
They already tried the peace talks with Taliban, if Taliban would have agreed they would have an agreement, the truce.

Terrorist as per their definition. They want their home safe, seems like they have no business with LeT until they plan an aircraft hit in their territory.

agentperry

so stupid of me i missed small * sign at the bottom of WoT literature.

terror definition are subject matter to us economy, logistics and market forces

p2prada

It's like Taliban saying UK is not the enemy, but US is the bad guy.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Najam Sethi on Biden's statement: from 20minutes onwards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Taliban is not the enemy per se. Indeed.

It is their ideology and action that is the enemy!

Do I sound like Rumsfeld? :rofl:

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Taliban is not the enemy per se. Indeed.

It is their ideology and action that is the enemy!

Do I sound like Rumsfeld? :rofl:
Sir,

Najam Sethi suggests even the ideology and actions dont matter much any more.

The sense I am deriving is that US is more concerned about China and would like to concentrate on SCS.

In Afghanistan and Pakistan, they will stick around with limited presence, deal with the taliban, which is, make taliban a part of the Afghan government in some form, and for Iran, continue having the CBG in the vicinity to monitor them, and for now that should suffice for the region.

ejazr

Ambassador
The biggest mistake the us made was invading and launching an illegal war in Iraq. The US should have maintained a laser like focus on Afghanistan and Pakistan. Ten years of focus on this area would have completely changed this area and Taliban would be completely finished. Instead Bush n co. Wasted their time in Iraq on top of the large civilian casualties that indirectly intensified aq support.

Now just in 2010, we see some actual focus and with depleted resources, the US just wants the easiest way out ASAP. So of course we can't expect anything other than an agreement with Taliban of some sort.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles