The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Re: Hindu Pushups v. Dive Bomber Pushups ... Which Is Better?

What the hell is a Hindu Pushup ? I have heard of Hindu Squats though

Patriot

Country flag

Baithaks

How to do :-
Very nice article A chauhan.

But the posture of doing squat is not right in th picture, as this may injure the knees in long run. Ideally while bending the knees ought to be in line with the 1st toe or behind it.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Very nice article A chauhan.

But the posture of doing squat is not right in th picture, as this may injure the knees in long run. Ideally while bending the knees ought to be in line with the 1st toe or behind it.
For this Matt Fuery says this:-

What about your knees? Do high-repetition squats injure the knees?

There are some people who cannot and should not do squats, regardless of what type they are. These are people whose knees are severely banged up. Yet, the majority of people who are in good health CAN do Hindu squats and benefit immensely. High-repetition squats do not harm the knees, so long as you maintain good form and pay attention to what you're doing. Sloppily going through any exercise can lead to injuries.

Most people, it should be pointed out, don't hurt their knees, even when doing sloppy squats. It is almost always the lower back that gets injured. This truth maintain relevance whether we are talking about Hindu squats or heavy barbell squats. So always concentrate on good form. Make sure you learn proper form and do the exercise the right way all the time.
Unlike barbell squats and weight training exercises for the legs, which often cause severe trauma and injury to knee joints and lower backs - Hindu squats actually rehabiliate the knees while strengthening the muscles of the legs. The key is working into them slowly. Never force progress in this exercise.
Hindu squats when done properly and combined with deep breathing, not only strengthen the entire body, but they rehabiliate the knees and ankles and build phenomenal lung power. For those who are used to barbell squats, you'll find these squats to be a vigorous workout. Even those who can squat 500 or more pounds struggle with 50-straight bethaks when they first begin.
and this :-
It's essential that your form be correct on this movement, otherwise you will not reap the real benefits and may injure yourself. Be very careful whom you learn this movement from as most who claim to be teaching it are way off the mark. They don't descend low enough. Or they move too fast or too slow, without balance, rhythm and grace. Many people bounce out of the bottom. Or they use improper breathing and hand movements. All of these mistakes lead away from some of the most amazing benefits of this exercise, one of which is increased spiritual awareness and internal power.
Source - Bodyweight exercises: Hindu Squats Build Explosive Endurance

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

:rofl: :pound: Man, this series of videos by HBO made my day! Can't stop laughing enough at the ridiculous amount of political correctness in this video...first I thought this was some sort of parody...but then I realized it was for real!..:lol:

Phat -----s crying and complaining about people "stigmatizing" them and "hurting their feelings"!! :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Unlike barbell squats and weight training exercises for the legs, which often cause severe trauma and injury to knee joints and lower backs - Hindu squats actually rehabiliate the knees while strengthening the muscles of the legs. The key is working into them slowly. Never force progress in this exercise.
The guy who said this is an idiot.

A chauhan

Country flag

The guy who said this is an idiot.
How ? please shed some light.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador

I too have heard many stories of Baithaks screwing up your knees from many people going to Akharas.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

Coming soon...

Buddhist Bench Press
Sikh Squats
Christian Crunches
Islamic Incline Press
Dharmic Deadlift
Jewish Jerks

:D :lol:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

How ? please shed some light.
Squats provide lesser hyperflexion of the knee, and progressive overload strengthens the entire posterior chain. It is one of the finest exercise if done well. Some people don't have the biomechanics for it, and should find an alternate.

Hindu Squats or Uthak Baithak, doesn't provide a progressive overload, and it causes hyperflexion of the knee.

These two are incomparable, at best Hindu Squat can be used occasionally to provide flexibility around knees and maybe some conditioning work for slow twitch fibers.

A chauhan

Country flag

Squats provide lesser hyperflexion of the knee, and progressive overload strengthens the entire posterior chain. It is one of the finest exercise if done well. Some people don't have the biomechanics for it, and should find an alternate.

Hindu Squats or Uthak Baithak, doesn't provide a progressive overload, and it causes hyperflexion of the knee.
All the exercises are fine if done correctly. This overload sometimes causes knee injuries, even if you do it perfectly, that's why he said so, while Hindu squats if done in correct posture and speed can not injure your knees as it involves only the body weight which the legs and knees are already used to, unless you have knee injury. The number of higher repetitions provides the effect of progressive overload in Hindu squats which minimizes the injury risks. Matt Furey is not an Idiot, he is a professional,he knows much more than us and his thick & gorgeous thighs speak of his authority in such subjects, you can read about him here Matt Furey - Zen Master of the Internet

These two are incomparable, at best Hindu Squat can be used occasionally to provide flexibility around knees and maybe some conditioning work for slow twitch fibers.
Try Hindu squats and see how much pressure it generates on Quadriceps and gluteals. I think at first Hindu squats should be done, and after gaining strength one should go for squats if he desires so as then it will be easier to sustain overload and avoid possible injuries of squats.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

All the exercises are fine if done correctly. This overload sometimes causes knee injuries, even if you do it perfectly, that's why he said so, while Hindu squats if done in correct posture and speed can not injure your knees as it involves only the body weight which the legs and knees are already used to, unless you have knee injury. The number of higher repetitions provides the effect of progressive overload in Hindu squats which minimizes the injury risks. Matt Furey is not an Idiot, he is a professional,he knows much more than us and his thick & gorgeous thighs speak of his authority in such subjects, you can read about him here Matt Furey - Zen Master of the Internet

Try Hindu squats and see how much pressure it generates on Quadriceps and gluteals. I think at first Hindu squats should be done, and after gaining strength one should go for squats if he desires so as then it will be easier to sustain overload and avoid possible injuries of squats.
You need to make up your mind. You kept arguing with me that you admit Dand-baithak or Uthak-baithak can never replace weight-lifting, but that it was only an "add-on" so to speak. You kept saying that these "Hindu" exercises were for building muscle endurance after one has built muscle strength. Now you are claiming the exact opposite.

Do you have any experience of doing squats or deadlifts or any weight-lifting exercises? Because it is clear that if you did, you would know what you were talking about. :rolleyes:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

All the exercises are fine if done correctly.
Good Mornings are not. They hyperextend the spine.
And if you do Pull Exercises and not Push, then you screw up your biomechanics.

This overload sometimes causes knee injuries, even if you do it perfectly, that's why he said so,
If you do it "perfectly" then it would not. If you don't then it "might".
Because then you would not push through with a heavier weight, or too many reps which will make your form suffer.

while Hindu squats if done in correct posture and speed can not injure your knees as it involves only the body weight which the legs and knees are already used to, unless you have knee injury.
How does hyperflexion of the knee joint not injure it ?
How does not providing a progressive overload increase your muscle strength ?

The number of higher repetitions provides the effect of progressive overload in Hindu squats which minimizes the injury risks.
I think you don't understand the concept of progressive overload in weightlifting. By not adding weight your muscles are not growing, by adding repetitions, you are improving your endurance

Google images of 100m runners and marathon runners. Who is bigger ?

Endurance = Type 1 fiber = number of reps = not strong = small size ; Type 2 fiber = strength = weight = get tired easily = huge

Matt Furey is not an Idiot, he is a professional,he knows much more than us and his thick & gorgeous thighs speak of his authority in such subjects, you can read about him here Matt Furey - Zen Master of the Internet
You are conflating issues, steroids > exercise.

To Sustain overload - take adequate rest, increase calories
To avoid injuries - get a coach to monitor your form.

If you want some condition work, or improve knee flexion or if you can't squat do Hindu squats infrequently.

A chauhan

Country flag

You need to make up your mind. You kept arguing with me that you admit Dand-baithak or Uthak-baithak can never replace weight-lifting, but that it was only an "add-on" so to speak. You kept saying that these "Hindu" exercises were for building muscle endurance after one has built muscle strength. Now you are claiming the exact opposite.

Do you have any experience of doing squats or deadlifts or any weight-lifting exercises? Because it is clear that if you did, you would know what you were talking about. :rolleyes:
So far as I know I was talking with you about Hindu pushups aka Dand/Dand-baithak (as usually called) and not Baithaks aka Hindu squats alone, you have gone confused. When I said Dand-baithak to you I meant Dands as it is usually called so, even if you do Dands alone some people will call it Dand-baithak, so I mixed up by mistake while both are different exercises.

A chauhan

Country flag

Good Mornings are not. They hyperextend the spine.
And if you do Pull Exercises and not Push, then you screw up your biomechanics.
Then there is a way to do it safely.
If you do it "perfectly" then it would not. If you don't then it "might".
Because then you would not push through with a heavier weight, or too many reps which will make your form suffer.
That "might" has injured many, it uses additional weight so it is naturally more risky when compared to Hindu Baithaks.

How does hyperflexion of the knee joint not injure it ?
How does not providing a progressive overload increase your muscle strength ?
First of all tell me one thing, does progressive overloading include volume (repetitions) or not? So far as I know it includes number of repetitions and intensity also and not just the weight increase. Why do we keep lifting the same dumbbell for 40-100 times ? because it is progressive overload, so increasing the repetitions of the Hindu squat is also a progressive overload.

I think you don't understand the concept of progressive overload in weightlifting. By not adding weight your muscles are not growing, by adding repetitions, you are improving your endurance.

Google images of 100m runners and marathon runners. Who is bigger ?

Endurance = Type 1 fiber = number of reps = not strong = small size ; Type 2 fiber = strength = weight = get tired easily = huge
"Increasing the stress of muscles and bones is called progressive overloading", which includes the increasing of repetitions, what do you interpret by progressive overloading ? just increasing the weight of a barbell or a dumbbell alone? . For strength and endurance even 18 pounds dumbbells are enough if you keep increasing the repetitions, OTOH we increase the weight basically to make our muscles bulky. I think you are confused between bodybuilding and strength building. I have already said I like a gymnast's body and not of a bodybuilder, and I am not talking about Mr. Universe competition here but just about strength.

You are conflating issues, steroids > exercise...
You called Matt Furey an idiot and failed to prove so, how come providing a link to his biography is "conflating the issue" ?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

What the hell is a Hindu Pushup ? I have heard of Hindu Squats though
Hindu Push up

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag

That's a good question after looking at the comments.

So guys how many of you actually do workout and got a well defined body? :hmm:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

Then there is a way to do it safely.

That "might" has injured many, it uses additional weight so it is naturally more risky when compared to Hindu Baithaks.
How is more weight more risky ? Its a weight lifting exercise. So if you don't want to lift weights then don't.

Hindu or Secular Baithak or any movement which causes hyperflexion of the knees, and also causes the muscles to relax during the movement is inherently more dangerous.

==
First of all tell me one thing, does progressive overloading include volume (repetitions) or not? So far as I know it includes number of repetitions and intensity also and not just the weight increase. Why do we keep lifting the same dumbbell for 40-100 times ? because it is progressive overload, so increasing the repetitions of the Hindu squat is also a progressive overload.

"Increasing the stress of muscles and bones is called progressive overloading", which includes the increasing of repetitions, what do you interpret by progressive overloading ? just increasing the weight of a barbell or a dumbbell alone? . For strength and endurance even 18 pounds dumbbells are enough if you keep increasing the repetitions, OTOH we increase the weight basically to make our muscles bulky. I think you are confused between bodybuilding and strength building. I have already said I like a gymnast's body and not of a bodybuilder, and I am not talking about Mr. Universe competition here but just about strength.
Excellent Googling.

So what is your goal ? Build strong knees and muscles or wreck your knees ?

In Squats you are increasing progressive overload by doing two things Increasing weights(resistance), increasing repititions(never recommended).

In Baithas you are increasing progressive overload by just one thing increasing repetitions. Your resistance is fairly constant because its your bodyweight.

So by increasing repetitions only what happens ?

Now google Type 1 and Type 2 fibers.

Paradoxically, The more uthak baithaks you do, the more your knee hyperflexes, the more dangerous the movement becomes (also your muscles are relaxed at the bottom of the movement), and the more your type 2 fibers disappear, the more chances of injury occur.

|/| /_
|

Crude fig A -> hams are absolutely relaxed, so is the lower back. Shins and Knee are taking all the effort to stabilize the body. Crude Fig B -> hams are taut and tight. Core is stabilizing the body.

How many Indian or Hindu Bodybuilders do you know who do Uthak Baithak for building muscles, over other exercise like leg presses and squats ? I haven't seen any.

You called Matt Furey an idiot and failed to prove so, how come providing a link to his biography is "conflating the issue" ?
I called him an idiot, because he called Baithaks superior to Squats. And I didn't even bother to click his biography. And your praise for his "gorgeous" thighs means squat, pun intended.

Lets not get into a debate, just because some foreigners called it a Hindu exercise, and you see it as your duty to protect its honour.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

Some people have never set foot inside a gym, yet engage in intellectual masturbation as soon as they hear the word "Hindu xxxx". :pound:

A chauhan

Country flag

I was searching for the benefits of Dands as some of my friends were going to Akharas and Gyms together , and I found this article, hence I opened this thread to discuss and get some knowledge about Dands from members who have done it, but it seems some highly "intellect" and "knowledgeable " westernized members have pissed off at the term "Hindu", and I am pleased at their frustration. Hindu form of strength building is practiced for many centuries and is one of the oldest alive systems, still these intellect knows nothing about it. These people think that they have became a "knowledgeable" person by merely joining a Gym and doing some exercises and they think that they are better/superior than the professional trainers and gym instructors.

How is more weight more risky ? Its a weight lifting exercise. So if you don't want to lift weights then don't.
How many times I will have to explain it to you ?

Hindu or Secular Baithak or any movement which causes hyperflexion of the knees, and also causes the muscles to relax during the movement is inherently more dangerous.
From the OP to this post I didn't want to emphasize the "Hindu" term of these exercises but you and @Known_Unknown have specifically mentioned this term in "Inverted commas" and some have even used Buddhist, Sikh, Secular etc. terms to defend it being named as "Hindu xyz" but hard to their luck it is called so by the western world. I wanted to discuss the benefits of Dands (Hindu push-ups) and Dive bomber-push-ups but no one seems interested to remain On Topic, everyone is pissed off at the term "Hindu". So this will be my last post on this thread.

==

Excellent Googling.
Indeed, and you were just counting weight increase as progressive overload, now update yourself.
So what is your goal ? Build strong knees and muscles or wreck your knees ?
How many Akhara pehalwans have you seen with injured knees ? none. While it is a thousands of years old technique. There are many Akharas in my city I didn't find a single Akhara pehalwan with injured knees.Great Gama and Dara Singh kept doing more than 500+ Hindu squats daily why didn't they get knee injury?
In Squats you are increasing progressive overload by doing two things Increasing weights(resistance), increasing repititions(never recommended).
Thanks for admitting that increasing the repetitions is also progressive overload.
In Baithas you are increasing progressive overload by just one thing increasing repetitions. Your resistance is fairly constant because its your bodyweight.

So by increasing repetitions only what happens ?

Now google Type 1 and Type 2 fibers.

Paradoxically, The more uthak baithaks you do, the more your knee hyperflexes, the more dangerous the movement becomes (also your muscles are relaxed at the bottom of the movement), and the more your type 2 fibers disappear, the more chances of injury occur.

|/| /_
|

Crude fig A -> hams are absolutely relaxed, so is the lower back. Shins and Knee are taking all the effort to stabilize the body. Crude Fig B -> hams are taut and tight. Core is stabilizing the body.
And what a bodybuilder does when he gets satisfied with his strength and muscle buildup ? he doesn't keep increasing the weight after the point of his satisfaction, he just continues with the last weight he has used, so what will you say on this, is he injuring his joints ? or should he continuously keep increasing the weight throughout his life time until his dumbbells becomes barbells ?
How many Indian or Hindu Bodybuilders do you know who do Uthak Baithak for building muscles, over other exercise like leg presses and squats ? I haven't seen any.
That is your problem. There are many Akharas in my city as well as Gyms, and many people join both of them for a good overall strength and muscle development. And I have found that Akhara pehalwans who have done there for 2-3 years have a better stamina, shape (not muscles) and energy than Gym bodybuilders I personally know some of pehalwans (one is my client) who do Hindu squats regularly but never had any knee injuries.I have also worked out at Gym as well as Akhara situated in my Muhalla.

I called him an idiot, because he called Baithaks superior to Squats. And I didn't even bother to click his biography. And your praise for his "gorgeous" thighs means squat, pun intended.
If you would have cared to read his article carefully, you could have seen that he is specifically talking about endurance, strength and combat conditioning but you guys are easily taken away if someone uses the term "Hindu", and exposes the weakness of the people who belong to the minorities in India, they tend to jump in to denounce any thing labelled Hindu. Even if it shouldn't be seen with the communal point of view they do see so. :-
From OP - ...Many, many athletes who changed from a routine of weight training to Hindu squats, Hindu pushups and bridging, soon found that they were able to trounce those who used to beat them - and in each and every case, the people state that they have far more functional strength than ever before. It was not just endurance. It was strength AND endurance - as well as a heightened sense of one's body and energy field - one of the unspoken benefits of Hindu pushups that no one but Matt Furey talks about...
Lets not get into a debate, just because some foreigners called it a Hindu exercise, and you see it as your duty to protect its honour.
Some people have never set foot inside a gym, yet engage in intellectual masturbation as soon as they hear the word "Hindu xxxx". :pound:
Thanks for conforming my doubts that you are pissed off at the term "Hindu" and posting for the sake of denounce it. How idiot I am and how intelligent you are ! :)

You guys have derailed the thread to denounce the term "Hindu" and it's very sad. It is your Hinduphobia, and you think that I am defending it because it has been called "Hindu", not mine. I opened the thread to know the benefits of Dands as I am doing Dands apart from my Gym schedule and I want to do it in a perfect manner to get a good benefit out of it, But some anti-Hindu people are pissed off at the term "Hindu" which is not named so by me.

@pmaitra , mate please merge this thread with the fitness thread or close it, it seems no one is interested to discuss On topic, everyone seems to be interested in trolling the term "Hindu". Hence this is my last post on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles