The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pmaitra

Re: Hindu Pushups v. Dive Bomber Pushups ... Which Is Better?

@A chauhan,

Any tips on using a mace? I am interested in knowing more about that.

Last edited by a moderator:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

I was thinking to post it there but thought of having a separate thread for it ! however if you think so then you can merge it, but please let it be here for a week before merging, as I would like to hear member's views on Dand-Baithak's results.

@A chauhan,

Any tips on using a mace? I am interested in knowing more about that.
Lol I am no expert, I guess some members will tell you about that @SPIEZ perhaps.

pmaitra

I was thinking to post it there but thought of having a separate thread for it ! however if you think so then you can merge it, but please let it be here for a week before merging, as I would like to hear member's views on Dand-Baithak's results.
Yes, definitely. I will merge it after a week.

Maharana

What the heck is a "Hindu Push-up"? Everything that originates from India cannot be prefixed with the religion. What next, Hindu Roti, Hindu Sitar, Hindu Tabla, Hindu Urdu, Hindu Sanskrit?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

For overall muscular development, there's no substitute to weightlifting. I really doubt the statement that a weightlifter who benches 400 pounds will not be able to do 25 "Hindu" push-ups. I think that's utter nonsense. Maybe he may not be able to do 50 or 60 consecutively. So what? Will someone who does 200 Hindu pushups every day be able to bench press 400 pounds?

My point is just that if you keep doing the same exercise for a long time, you will obviously be able to do it better than others because of practice. That has nothing to do with your overall body strength though. Until you train your arms, back, legs as well, you will still be a weakling.

If you're really looking for a single "miracle" exercise though, just do the deadlift. That one exercise works out your entire body from your arms, neck, back, hips and hamstrings.

pmaitra

@Known_Unknown, man, you really know a lot about body-building.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

@Known_Unknown, man, you really know a lot about body-building.
Been going at it for the past few years, so I've gotten bigger and smarter about what to do and what not to do, that's all. :)

A chauhan

Country flag

For overall muscular development, there's no substitute to weightlifting. I really doubt the statement that a weightlifter who benches 400 pounds will not be able to do 25 "Hindu" push-ups. I think that's utter nonsense.] Maybe he may not be able to do 50 or 60 consecutively.
I tend to disagree, Benches involve Pactoralis major, anterior deltoid and triceps and no other muscle or muscle group, if you daily do 200 benches and do not jog you wont be able to run 5 kms in a single run, while a person who do Dand-Baithak (Hindu pushups) will find it rather easy. Dand Baithak and Dive bomber pushups involve many muscles e.g. pactoralis major-minor, deltoid major-minor, abdominal muscle, lattissimus dorsi muscle group of back, hip muscles, leg muscles etc. so it gives an overall workout for the all body in a light manner hence people do it in more counts, if a person who has a good natural body shape and he wants to gain strength and endurance and is not interested in bulky muscles then he should do Dand baithaks:-
Hindu pushups get you into incredible shape very fast because the entire body is engaged in the exercise, making it a compound movment hitting all the major muscle groups, including the legs, back, chest, shoulders, arms, hips and abdominals. In addition to this exercise hitting all the major muscle groups, it strengthens and tones the internal organs as well. Doing this exercise increases lung power, improves digestion and as many have discovered, increases sex drive and stamina. Because of the deep breathing that accompanies this movement, your heart and cardiovascular system receives a major benefit as well. (from that article)
So what? Will someone who does 200 Hindu pushups every day be able to bench press 400 pounds?
If you read the 1st post carefully you will find that this thread is about strength and endurance of military-men, I was not talking about particular muscle group. It is just about the Dand baithak or I could have mentioned Nals and Gar Nals (weight lifting exercises in Hindu Akhadas) and gym weight training as well.

My point is just that if you keep doing the same exercise for a long time, you will obviously be able to do it better than others because of practice.
Agreed.

That has nothing to do with your overall body strength though. Until you train your arms, back, legs as well, you will still be a weakling.
Well ! Dand Baithaks are, unlike bench press or push ups, not a single muscle specific exercise, Dands involes many muscle and muscle groups of the whole body, hence it adds to the overall body strength ad endurance, it provides a good foundation for the muscles you are talking about but I agree with you that Dands do not develop any of the muscles you mentioned in a popular fashion, yet it gives them a solid foundation. It all depends on you what kind of body you prefer of a bodybuilder's or of a gymnasts, I prefer the later. I do not like bulky muscles but a slim body of a gymnast who has developed all the major and minor muscle groups to a certain level.

If you're really looking for a single "miracle" exercise though, just do the deadlift. That one exercise works out your entire body from your arms, neck, back, hips and hamstrings.
As I said I am not talking about the weight training method of the strength training or I could have mentioned Nals and Gar Nals or weight trainings of a modern gym, however I agree that weight training is better than bodybuilding as it focuses on strength rather than just particular muscles, but still it needs instruments. While Dands provide an overall good fitness for a person who doesn't want bulky muscles and has a good shaped body.

@pmaitra there is a very good book available on the Internet named "Bodybuilding Anatomy" by a doctor Nick Evans who himself is a bodybuilder, buy it or ...

pmaitra

@pmaitra there is a very good book available on the Internet named "Bodybuilding Anatomy" by a doctor Nick Evans who himself is a bodybuilder, buy it or ...
Hmmm, I think I know what you mean. ;)

A chauhan

Country flag

However what we call Dand-Baithak are two different exercises Dand and Baithak. Baithaks are comparable to Western-style deep knee bends. Though dands and baithaks are done separately, they are usually referred to as a pair for complete body workout.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

Dead lifts + squats. Girls that do squats are awesome :D
Lol! Unfortunately not too many girls doing squats n our gym. :(

Agreed, squats are good too, they help develop the lower body, but are also very hard to do properly!

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned

Lol! Unfortunately not too many girls doing squats n our gym. :(

Agreed, squats are good too, they help develop the lower body, but are also very hard to do properly!
girls who do squats have nicer ass. indian girls should take up squats as they are not blessed in that department :)

dat lower body/10

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

I tend to disagree, Benches involve Pactoralis major, anterior deltoid and triceps and no other muscle or muscle group, if you daily do 200 benches and do not jog you wont be able to run 5 kms in a single run, while a person who do Dand-Baithak (Hindu pushups) will find it rather easy.
:bs:

First of all, no one does 200 benches. The aim of doing bodybuilding is to lift as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time to provide maximum stimulation to your muscles. If someone's trying to do 200 reps, they don't know wtf they're doing.

Second, you may be doing 2000 Hindu pushups every day, but it will do little or nothing to help you run 5 kms. Why? Because besides endurance, running requires strong leg muscles and all the dand-baithaks in the world will not help you there. You will suffer from muscle fatigue before you run out of breath.

Dand Baithak and Dive bomber pushups involve many muscles e.g. pactoralis major-minor, deltoid major-minor, abdominal muscle, lattissimus dorsi muscle group of back, hip muscles, leg muscles etc. so it gives an overall workout for the all body in a light manner hence people do it in more counts, if a person who has a good natural body shape and he wants to gain strength and endurance and is not interested in bulky muscles then he should do Dand baithaks:-
You don't go overnight from being skinny to being Hulk Hogan if you're doing bodybuilding. It is a slow process which takes years of hard work to get "bulky muscles". You can stop going to the gym once you get a nice V shape. Depending on your current fitness level, that may take anywhere from 1 to 3 years of hard work and dieting. Just doing one exercise-pushups, whether they be "Hindu" type or whatever doesn't help. Most of the Indian professionals I see are pot-bellied, losing hair and have twigs for arms and legs. Hence they overcompensate by keeping nicely trimmed mustaches as a sign of their "manliness". :rofl:

If you read the 1st post carefully you will find that this thread is about strength and endurance of military-men, I was not talking about particular muscle group. It is just about the Dand baithak or I could have mentioned Nals and Gar Nals (weight lifting exercises in Hindu Akhadas) and gym weight training as well.
Well, not many of us here are military men, so if dand-baithaks are projected as a substitute for weightlifting for normal people, then I do have to object. Military men already do lots of weight training...in addition, they may add "Hindu" pushups or similar exercises for endurance training or Yoga for flexibility. However, these are add-ons to the main course, they can never replace it.

Well ! Dand Baithaks are, unlike bench press or push ups, not a single muscle specific exercise, Dands involes many muscle and muscle groups of the whole body, hence it adds to the overall body strength ad endurance, it provides a good foundation for the muscles you are talking about but I agree with you that Dands do not develop any of the muscles you mentioned in a popular fashion, yet it gives them a solid foundation. It all depends on you what kind of body you prefer of a bodybuilder's or of a gymnasts, I prefer the later. I do not like bulky muscles but a slim body of a gymnast who has developed all the major and minor muscle groups to a certain level.
Name one gymnast who exclusively does dand-baithaks instead of weightlifting. :lol:

As I said I am not talking about the weight training method of the strength training or I could have mentioned Nals and Gar Nals or weight trainings of a modern gym, however I agree that weight training is better than bodybuilding as it focuses on strength rather than just particular muscles, but still it needs instruments. While Dands provide an overall good fitness for a person who doesn't want bulky muscles and has a good shaped body.

Weightlifting and Bodybuilding mean the same thing. In order to give "shape" to your body, you need to do many different types of exercises for many different muscle groups. For example, there are 10+ different variations of a single exercise, the bench press. Why? Because each variation hits the various muscles in a different way, some emphasize a certain group of muscles or a part of a muscle while some emphasize others. Hence on chest workout day, you do 2 or 3 types of benches, flyes etc.

Similarly, on back day, there are at least 15 different exercises you can choose from. The point is to keep changing the exercises to get your body out of its comfort zone. That's the only way you will achieve overall muscular development. The bodybuilder shape is the natural shape of the body when the muscles are developed to their fullest extent. There is nothing artificial or unnatural about it.

Hence the only way to get this natural body shape would be to subject your muscles to tens of different permutations and combinations of exercises so that you minimize any weaknesses. Doing just 2 or 3 or 4 types of exercises will strengthen the muscles involved in those particular movements while keeping all the other muscles, tendons and CNS weak.

In the end, you are only as strong as your weakest link.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador

Is there a secular pushup that I can do instead?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate

You would probably be more interested in the Buddha pushup, so here you go: ;)

A chauhan

Country flag

:bs:

First of all, no one does 200 benches. The aim of doing bodybuilding is to lift as much weight as possible in the shortest amount of time to provide maximum stimulation to your muscles. If someone's trying to do 200 reps, they don't know wtf they're doing.
Then disprove that benches involve more than pactoralis major, anterior deltoid and triceps in its single variety, you will have to change your position to inclined-declined or any other to hit other muscles, while I can prove that Dands as a single variety involves more muscles and muscle groups. Just calling it BS wont work.

Second, you may be doing 2000 Hindu pushups every day, but it will do little or nothing to help you run 5 kms. Why? Because besides endurance, running requires strong leg muscles and all the dand-baithaks in the world will not help you there. You will suffer from muscle fatigue before you run out of breath.
Dands strengthens the lungs if done properly, which is the most important thing. While I can bet if you do 400 pounds bench press you wont be able to run 5km in a single round while a person who does Dands will do it better than you, as it involves much more muscles than benches.

You don't go overnight from being skinny to being Hulk Hogan if you're doing bodybuilding. It is a slow process which takes years of hard work to get "bulky muscles". You can stop going to the gym once you get a nice V shape. Depending on your current fitness level, that may take anywhere from 1 to 3 years of hard work and dieting. Just doing one exercise-pushups, whether they be "Hindu" type or whatever doesn't help.
Did I talk about "V" shape in the opening post ? :facepalm: or did I deny the importance of gym/ V shape body? Why can't you interpret it as gym+Dands?

It seems the term "Hindu" is hurting you isn't it? but I didn't name it so, it is called Hindu push ups because people termed it so.

Most of the Indian professionals I see are pot-bellied, losing hair and have twigs for arms and legs. Hence they overcompensate by keeping nicely trimmed mustaches as a sign of their "manliness".
Old Pehalwans didn't care for their body looks while they beaten with fat belly many wrestlers of good shape. OTOH young regular Akhada Pehalwans have better endurance then V shape gym bodybuilders. Can you deny that Dara Singh was a Akhara Pehalwan?

Well, not many of us here are military men, so if dand-baithaks are projected as a substitute for weightlifting for normal people, then I do have to object.Military men already do lots of weight training...in addition, they may add "Hindu" pushups or similar exercises for endurance training or Yoga for flexibility. However, these are add-ons to the main course, they can never replace it.
My intention to post this thread was of to know the benefits of Dands, and not to project it as an substitute of weightlifting.

Name one gymnast who exclusively does dand-baithaks instead of weightlifting.
You didn't get the gist of the OP.

Weightlifting and Bodybuilding mean the same thing. In order to give "shape" to your body, you need to do many different types of exercises for many different muscle groups. For example, there are 10+ different variations of a single exercise, the bench press. Why? Because each variation hits the various muscles in a different way, some emphasize a certain group of muscles or a part of a muscle while some emphasize others. Hence on chest workout day, you do 2 or 3 types of benches, flyes etc.

Similarly, on back day, there are at least 15 different exercises you can choose from. The point is to keep changing the exercises to get your body out of its comfort zone. That's the only way you will achieve overall muscular development. The bodybuilder shape is the natural shape of the body when the muscles are developed to their fullest extent. There is nothing artificial or unnatural about it.

Hence the only way to get this natural body shape would be to subject your muscles to tens of different permutations and combinations of exercises so that you minimize any weaknesses. Doing just 2 or 3 or 4 types of exercises will strengthen the muscles involved in those particular movements while keeping all the other muscles, tendons and CNS weak.

In the end, you are only as strong as your weakest link.
Bodybuilding focuses on development of muscles keeping looks in the mind , while weightlifting is development of strength + muscles. However I agree with the rest of you said.

I knew people will object/get hurt with the term "Hindu", but I didn't retitled the thread, it was directlt copied from the OP article.People start to object if anything is called "Hindu" and I am enjoying it :lol:

For those who do not understand what is Dand and what is baithak :

Dands

How to do :-

Baithaks

How to do :-

ashdoc

Country flag

increase your killer instinct by eating nonveg and getting used to bloodshed---that will help you become a better defender of this nation .

HeinzGud

Country flag

great article! :thumb:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles