The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

pmaitra

Adux aren't Purans Bhrahminical texts ? Isn't this a contradiction

Also from the links you gave

i.e he's referred as lower caste in Buddhist/Jain texts and not simply folklore !
I second that.

Bhrahminical texts infact would want to list him as a Kshatriya
Alternatively, what has the term Kshatriya got to do with lineage? A person goes on to belong to any one varna by virtue of his profession and not by virtue of his ancestry. Therefore, yes, Chandragupta was indeed a Kshatriya and that is what a true Brahman (one who is wise), when writing any text, should espouse, regardless of the fact that he was born into a smlechha family or tribe.

Refer to post #582:
Puranas are clear on the Kshatriya lineage
This very line shows that the person who wrote this piece of garbage and/or the moron who translated it (the author of the book quoted from) has no idea what the term Kshatriya means. A Kshatriya has nothing to do with lineage.

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
I love it when people get proved wrong and then it is all edited

Also please use language that is understood by all.

Last edited by a moderator:

KS

Bye bye DFI
No, unfortunately not. I will let the individual trust me (or not) on that. I read this a while back and I do not have anything to prove it at the moment. :)
it not like I dont believe or that..but just want then to be like that.

Vegetarianism sucks anyway.

BTW which animals were sacrificed..those Khukris cant cut anything better than a hen.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
You voted for Raja Chola didn't you :rolleyes:
Yeah a ruler whose empire extended to pretty much the whole of South East Asia and entire Lanka, a ruler whose reign saw untold prosperity and wealth, a ruler who made grandiose achievements in architecture (the Brihadeeswara Temple is a living example) , a ruler who was the most educated and patronised poets,scholars - he deserved that place.

You are free to disagree

The nation was never dying in the first place; India prospered under Mughal rule. What the hell do they teach kids nowadays?
The Hindu nation was dying and was suffering from the malaise of the Mughals/Deccan Sultanates and it was Shivaji (Marathas) who said, "Yes we can".

Comparing Asoka with Shivaji is like comparing CEO of Mahindra with a rickshaw wallah.
Your opinion and not necessarily many others. :wave:

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
BTW cant the mods see that this thread has long lost its purpose and is talking about everything under the sun except the greatest kings like the ruler's caste, his favourite dish, the color of undie he wore etc..

Please close it, if you may.

Let me tell you about my caste, we ruled the most fertile region in TN before the rise of the Cholas. We were rivals of the Cholas.In that age we had the status of Kshatriyas. All that untill the Cholas king defeated us and the caste lost its high status. Throughout history there were many invasions, new rulers, more oppression and finally in the 20th century the Brits classified us as Backwards.
Not trying to be nosy - but the "we ruled" part aroused my curiosity.

Whats your caste ? or who were the rulers ?

Galaxy

Country flag
This thread should be closed now. Few Atheist and Non-Hindus trying their level best to disrespect great kings like Shivaji, Chola by bringing their cast, region and exceptional Islamic good period of few years out of their few worst centuries of our nation.

pmaitra

This thread should be closed now. Few Atheist and Non-Hindus trying their level best to disrespect great kings like Shivaji, Chola by bringing their cast, region and exceptional Islamic good period of few years out of their few worst centuries of our nation.
Why do you think this thread should be closed? Most members are debating respectfully and disagreeing gracefully, just like you and I did, except one person, who can be ignored. Let everyone present their opinions and challenge others as long as it does not get personal.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Mods are seeing this thread.

Keep going, but keep it clean.

This thread is under surveillance since there are reports of incorrect language being used.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Well ! seeing the poll results there remains nothing for further discussion,we ask for Voting where we can't derive any conclusion by discussion, but for the purpose of learning discussion is being continued...one thing to mention though we do not intend to bring the religion of the King here but it's inevitable, Kings who were following foreign religions have reign the area differently than Hindu/Buddhist Kings and no matter how secular they tried to become but they persecuted the people of native religion.And perhaps that's one of the reasons Akbar is not in the list of top 3 Kings.The era of Kings we are talking about was highly inspired by religious aspirations (specially for Muslim Kings) so it's impossible to keep the religion apart. Akbar's name has been added later as he is known as the most tolerant Muslim King.

I agree with Galaxy that many non-Hindus here are trying their best to disrespect great Hindu kings.

BTW why can't i see the votes ? I mean I can't see the names of the voters, who voted whom.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Well ! seeing the poll results there remains nothing for further discussion,we ask for Voting where we can't derive any conclusion by discussion, but for the purpose of learning discussion is being continued...one thing to mention though we do not intend to bring the religion of the King here but it's inevitable, Kings who were following foreign religions have reign the area differently than Hindu/Buddhist Kings and no matter how secular they tried to become but they persecuted the people of native religion.And perhaps that's one of the reasons Akbar is not in the list of top 3 Kings.The era of Kings we are talking about was highly inspired by religious aspirations (specially for Muslim Kings) so it's impossible to keep the religion apart. Akbar's name has been added later as he is known as the most tolerant Muslim King.
Last time I checked India didn't equate to Hinduism.

I agree with Galaxy that many non-Hindus here are trying their best to disrespect great Hindu kings.
and who made you the thakedar of Hindu chauvinism ?

BTW why can't i see the votes ? I mean I can't see the names of the voters, who voted whom.
Why ? do you want to confirm your suspicions ? no need sir, you won't change.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Last time I checked India didn't equate to Hinduism.
I didn't say so ! so i don't need to reply.

and who made you the thakedar of Hindu chauvinism ?
First thing i am not a fanatic Hindu patriot, so it's an idiotic comment but not expected from you.If a degree of my support to Hinduism makes you feel that i am a Thakedaar of Hindu Chauvinism than i feel pity on your understanding, I am a great fan of other religions like Buddhism, Sikkhism and many more.But i have problems with fanatic Anti-Hindu patriots and i don't think you have any problem with that, do you ?

Why ? do you want to confirm your suspicions ? no need sir, you won't change.
Can't i ask the Mods for that ? did i suspect that it was a secrete ballot ? You misunderstood here. I want to see who guys have voted Raja Chola, can't i wish that ? You said all that merely on suspicion that i am a Fanatic Hindu in your views !! Kya suspicion aur logic hai yaar !! :doh:

Taking it a personal attack i am asking you What did you mean by that bolded portion ?

@Mods sir! please delete post no. 590 and 591 from this thread, both are OT and derogatory in sense .

Last edited:

Adux

Country flag
Greatest King of India - Shri. P.V.Narsimha Rao

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
Sir, Tipu Sultan lost because he was cheated by his own minister who leaded him to a trap set by the britisher's and the minister himself. He was a GREAT KING. British tried number of times to defeat Tipu Sultan but they could not withstand the might of his army. In fact his Army was the first to make use of rockets in this modern age. These rockets had good range and were also equally deadly. The british cannons were no match. Never under estimate anyone Sir. If you ask me the kings who ruled INDIA did their best for the people and were also great warriors. There may be some handful of kings who were bad. All were great warriors. We should not criticize any warrior. A true warrior is always great. Either good or bad a warrior fights for his valor and he is respected when he dies in a war and his death is also mourned. This is what happened in the 1971 Indo-Pak war, even though the pakistani army left the dead bodies of their soldiers, the Indian Army gave them gun salute and buried them in INDIA. This shows how great INDIAN ARMY is. This is how you find a good and great KING.
Sir, I didnt insulted any warriors. I indeed respect them myself which I mentioned in my earlier posts too. I never said Tipu Sultan was a bad king. But I just compared him with his father Haider Ali that Is it.

And just think about this, if he was such an efficient ruler then do yo think he could have been cheated by his ministers? Chandragupta ruled a huge territory. Why didnt his ministers betrayed him? They too were humans with same greed, then what was the point? Answer is that yes they must have betrayed their king at some point but was it enough to overthrow or defeat Chandragupta?

Point is about being cunning and alert. Why should we give opponent the chance to bring the war into our home. Where was the spy network gone?

Yes I agree that Tipu was surrounded by all enemy states who were allied to the British but same was the case with his father Haider Ali. Why didnt his ministers betrayed him?

MY POINT IS SIMPLE. ITS OK IF YOU CONSIDER HAIDER ALI A RULER OF SMALL REGION AND DIDNT FIND HIM ELIGIBLE ON THIS CRITERIA TO LIST HIM ABOVE BUT THEN REMOVE THE NAME OF TIPU SULTAN TOO.

Because it would be a direct insult of a more capable King(in this case it was his father and not him).

Last edited:

Yatharth Singh

Knowledge is power.
Country flag
What does that have to do with anything I said? The weak rulers that succeeded Asoka are irrelevant; Asoka himself was a strong ruler and the empire held together under his rule.
The point was about the reason for the downfall of Mauryan Empire. I am not in a fashion of speaking rubbish here. I am speaking because I know about the thing that is TRUE.

That is speculation, you can't prove it. At any rate, even the Hindu successors of the Mauryas, the Sungas, were unable to restore the former power of Magadha, so you cannot say that a supposed Buddhist policy of non-violence brought down the empire. There were many other factors involved.
First read what I posted. It was the MAIN CAUSE. And if you still have any doubt then its your problem.

I'm not the one who started blabbering ad hominems like a teenager on crack. Follow your own advice.
Atleast I didnt started selling opium here. That might be your job.

Doubt it.
Haha keep doubting and live in your own own world.

No,"www.indianetzone.com" does not satisfy me. I prefer to do real research.
Surfing one or two websites wont lead you anywhere

Don't post while intoxicated, just a bit of friendly advice.

Friendly advice are always welcomed wholeheartedly. I`ll keep that in mind. Apologies for anything that hurt you.

Param

BTW cant the mods see that this thread has long lost its purpose and is talking about everything under the sun except the greatest kings like the ruler's caste, his favourite dish, the color of undie he wore etc..

Please close it, if you may.

Not trying to be nosy - but the "we ruled" part aroused my curiosity.

Whats your caste ? or who were the rulers ?
Does not matter, I was the first person here to declare that I voted for Rajaraja Chola.

And please read my previous post once again, I was only replying to Rahul M's post and not bragging about my caste.

S.A.T.A

Chandragupta Maurya's parentage and his place in the traditional varna system is ambiguous and which in itself is significant because had Maurya come from an undisputed Kshatriya lineage there would not have been reasons for so much ambivalence over his status.That having said iam inclined to believe that Chandragupta Mauryas may indeed have a Kshatriya lineage.

Several Hindu and Buddhist works explicitly state that Maurya was a Kshatriya and earlier somebody had posted a article which mentions his ties to the Moriyas of pippalivana,a Janapada on the foothills of Himalayas north of Magadha.If this is true and if we consider the fact that that Chandragupta and Kautilya indeed invaded Magadha from the north through the territory of Nepala(his chief ally a Parvataka was probably the king of Nepala).The fact that Maurya should easily find friendly allies among the republics of the Northeast to go against the mighty Nandas, might actually lend credence to the theory of his Moriya origin.

His relationship with his Brahman preceptor Kautilya also seems to revolt against any suggestion that Maurya was not Kshatriya,for its almost all records cite that it was Kautilya's revulsion against base born Nandas(as per the social system prevalent at the time) usurpers to the throne of magadha was the chief cause of his aiding Mauryas cause to overthrow the Nanda dynasty.Would Kautilya support one base born to replace another ?.Infact Kaultilya in his Arthashastra seems to confirm the the same.In the Arthashastra,book VIII - Chapter 2,in reply to a question "Which is better, a weak but high-born king, or a strong but low-born king?",he replies affirming that it is better to have weak king of high birth than a strong king of low birth.Clearly Kautilya would not be expected to go against his own maxims by helping coronate an emperor of low birth.

Adux

Country flag
Chandragupta Maurya's parentage and his place in the traditional varna system is ambiguous and which in itself is significant because had Maurya come from an undisputed Kshatriya lineage there would not have been reasons for so much ambivalence over his status.That having said iam inclined to believe that Chandragupta Mauryas may indeed have a Kshatriya lineage.

Several Hindu and Buddhist works explicitly state that Maurya was a Kshatriya and earlier somebody had posted a article which mentions his ties to the Moriyas of pippalivana,a Janapada on the foothills of Himalayas north of Magadha.If this is true and if we consider the fact that that Chandragupta and Kautilya indeed invaded Magadha from the north through the territory of Nepala(his chief ally a Parvataka was probably the king of Nepala).The fact that Maurya should easily find friendly allies among the republics of the Northeast to go against the mighty Nandas, might actually lend credence to the theory of his Moriya origin.

His relationship with his Brahman preceptor Kautilya also seems to revolt against any suggestion that Maurya was not Kshatriya,for its almost all records cite that it was Kautilya's revulsion against base born Nandas(as per the social system prevalent at the time) usurpers to the throne of magadha was the chief cause of his aiding Mauryas cause to overthrow the Nanda dynasty.Would Kautilya support one base born to replace another ?.Infact Kaultilya in his Arthashastra seems to confirm the the same.In the Arthashastra,book VIII - Chapter 2,in reply to a question "Which is better, a weak but high-born king, or a strong but low-born king?",he replies affirming that it is better to have weak king of high birth than a strong king of low birth.Clearly Kautilya would not be expected to go against his own maxims by helping coronate an emperor of low birth.
You have done it more articulately and better than I could have said.

Question arises in me, what if Chandragupta never came into power, and the Nanda's carried forward? Would that have changed the course of lower caste in India. It is quite apparent that Chankaya was a Casteist and Chandragupta his pawn. So the greatest of a king and his crooked prime minister goes for a toss, the moment he adheres to a oppressive regime as casteism and tries his best to be the proponent of this scourge.

Param

May I know who was that person who talked about the caste of chola and Shivaji? I've gone through the entire thread, I can't find any.But I do know that some people are twisting other people's posts.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles