The Glorious Army of Hind: The Indian Army in Pictures

gazi2202

correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the T 72 an outdated piece of equiptment? It has proven to be inferior to most western tanks in modern conflicts, then why does the indian army field them in mass numbers? is it following the soviet doctrine of a mass number of cheap to produce tanks against smaller numbers of high tech western tanks? or does the indian army field them seeing that the only country they might have an armored conflict with (pakistan) fields tanks of the same quality?

gazi2202

also, isnt the arjun mbt a possible catalist to an arms race in the subcontinent? considering no other country in south asia has heavy tanks?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the T 72 an outdated piece of equiptment? It has proven to be inferior to most western tanks in modern conflicts, then why does the indian army field them in mass numbers? is it following the soviet doctrine of a mass number of cheap to produce tanks against smaller numbers of high tech western tanks? or does the indian army field them seeing that the only country they might have an armored conflict with (pakistan) fields tanks of the same quality?

That Depend on the Variant,
India use T-72M1 which is a updated version of T-72B, Further T-72M1 Ajaya2 have ERA and Polish FCS WITH 1000HP Engines..
The Reason its use in mass coz of Logistic Value..

also, isnt the arjun mbt a possible catalist to an arms race in the subcontinent? considering no other country in south asia has heavy tanks?
As Indian economy grows so does it improves the military, Arjun is based on LEO-2A4 and its degin evolve better than A4, Arjun is indeed Heavy so does the type99 Variants..

Indian`s main competitor in civil as well as Military is China..

Rage

DFI TEAM

You're posting in the wrong thread, blud. These questions should all go into the Indian Army: News & Discussion thread.

Rage

DFI TEAM

Last edited by a moderator:

jat

interm of a western standard, yes.
but considering the Pakistani army which fields t80s and aks which are more of less just t-72s. heck even the type 99 has roots in t72.
the much hyped alkhalid is nothing more than a t72 mutilated just as is the t90
both have the same weaknesses.
all you have to do for a t72 to bring it on par with these mentioned tanks, is upgrade the armour with ERA, install FCS with thermal, no need for night vision when you have thermal, and power supply.
the gun on most of these tanks pretty much have the same effective range and power.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Some sexy pics of the Arjun tank:

These are courtesy of IBRIS.

And some pics of the T 90:

Rage

DFI TEAM

Last edited by a moderator:

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Did Israel secretly sold there Spy planes to RAW ???.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles