The Glorious Army of Hind: The Indian Army in Pictures

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
When the user has no issue with his sling position, I just don't understand why you are getting your back on burner.

Or may be you are right. Wrapping up the sling around weapon prevents it from getting entangled in any undergrowth or potential obstruction which would hamper the overall movement of the soldier. This is a very bad idea. May be we should keep our slings something like this.

View attachment 43326
View attachment 43327
View attachment 43328
View attachment 43329
I think we should follow US soldiers because they are BHEST.

But why..and how ever many pics i post you wont agree.

So i rest my case...i would rather debate with someone who is not a fan boy of US army.
Those are cavalry soldiers my friend .. 2nd cavalry US Army.

I posted Infantry troops...hope you know what cavalry does and what infantry does?

Our very own best...just to show you i am not sharing a wrong thing....if you still disagree and have a problem with me pointing out things then..You are the best and i quit.

Last edited:

nongaddarliberal

Country flag

rkhanna

Country flag
Respect your family for their sacrifice!

My old man was a RR commander in the days Anantnag was called Islamabad and was a terrorist camp.

Have lost one relative in RR and best friends in cross border loc ghatak raids.

Most of my family is in the army ..and i am the only civilian man of my generation.
Your Pa is almost a plank owner of RR then. Those were the days when RR itself was adapting and evoling. haha no offense I rather buy him a beer. man those would be great stories. Feel free to DM me if you are ever in Bombay.

However my friend how much you and me agree that Pak Army is the biggest Napaki thing in the region i have read history and always saw that only and only one thing matters is war.. your tactics.

Islam is a great brainwash for people in that region..we should never count that off.
Just an add/edit - Its not Islam that is a great brainwash. Its any fundamental view point of a Religion. What happened in Pakistan has been seen in South American Dictatorship militaries, The US Military (post vietnam), Turkey Current. Power Corrupts and Religion is often the easiest and greatest tool to control the masses. We should not be so arrogant to think we are immune.

Maybe their regular troops in UN were not motivated by the cause of blue berets and they decided to not sacrifice themselves in foreign lands for a cause which is not theirs?
I dont agree. A soldier is a soldier is a soldier. He is married to his oath and his mission/orders and his squad.

The thing with China (and ofcourse declaring my bias here) is that the PLA is fundamentally at odds with my idea/concept of Military Ethos. the PLA is not the military of the Chinese Nation. They are the military arm of the Politburo and The CCP. Their allegiance is not to their country but the party. Ofcourse the party will believe they are one and the same. Senior officers and princelings are all offsprings of CCP members. Each unit of the PLA answers to a Political Officer.

IMO this will always create a lack of unity at the fundamental level of why the average Grunt is fighting and why the Officer Cadre is there and that will always create a more corrupted ethos that becomes institutional memory over time.

That being said with the Capital that the Chinese they will ofcourse evolve and better their training. But for the most part they will do it in a vaccume. The only major powers they can learn from Russia and Pakistan. The rest of their "allies" are vassal states (And i am not including diplomatic feel good excersises)

Also - they are now suffering a supply side crunch in terms of HR with respect to the capital assets they are turning out. Their Ship COs are the youngest in the world with very little operational experience, They are churning out more ships and planes than pilots and captains they can train up. In the short term they are flooding the field with bodies but in the long term there is bound to have some effect on the operational capabilities of these fighting arms.

Secondly the last 2 times the PLA got into a shooting conflict (India 68 and Vietnam) they got a very bloody punch in the nose. Outside of posturing they have not fired a single shot in anger. Which is why the UN action is so stark in my head. I am sure they will do well when they control the battlefield and are executing a strategy from set pieces but are they flexible enough to adapt to fight asymmetrically?

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Your Pa is almost a plank owner of RR then. Those were the days when RR itself was adapting and evoling. haha no offense I rather buy him a beer. man those would be great stories. Feel free to DM me if you are ever in Bombay.

Just an add/edit - Its not Islam that is a great brainwash. Its any fundamental view point of a Religion. What happened in Pakistan has been seen in South American Dictatorship militaries, The US Military (post vietnam), Turkey Current. Power Corrupts and Religion is often the easiest and greatest tool to control the masses. We should not be so arrogant to think we are immune.

I dont agree. A soldier is a soldier is a soldier. He is married to his oath and his mission/orders and his squad.

The thing with China (and ofcourse declaring my bias here) is that the PLA is fundamentally at odds with my idea/concept of Military Ethos. the PLA is not the military of the Chinese Nation. They are the military arm of the Politburo and The CCP. Their allegiance is not to their country but the party. Ofcourse the party will believe they are one and the same. Senior officers and princelings are all offsprings of CCP members. Each unit of the PLA answers to a Political Officer.

IMO this will always create a lack of unity at the fundamental level of why the average Grunt is fighting and why the Officer Cadre is there and that will always create a more corrupted ethos that becomes institutional memory over time.

That being said with the Capital that the Chinese they will ofcourse evolve and better their training. But for the most part they will do it in a vaccume. The only major powers they can learn from Russia and Pakistan. The rest of their "allies" are vassal states (And i am not including diplomatic feel good excersises)

Also - they are now suffering a supply side crunch in terms of HR with respect to the capital assets they are turning out. Their Ship COs are the youngest in the world with very little operational experience, They are churning out more ships and planes than pilots and captains they can train up. In the short term they are flooding the field with bodies but in the long term there is bound to have some effect on the operational capabilities of these fighting arms.

Secondly the last 2 times the PLA got into a shooting conflict (India 68 and Vietnam) they got a very bloody punch in the nose. Outside of posturing they have not fired a single shot in anger. Which is why the UN action is so stark in my head. I am sure they will do well when they control the battlefield and are executing a strategy from set pieces but are they flexible enough to adapt to fight asymmetrically?
Sure,whenever i get a layover next in Mumbai i will ping you if you are free we can have a beer.

The 90s Kashmir RR ops is my favourite part of history of the Indian Army. Those were the times when we were ruthless.. as it was needed or we would have lost territory.

My old man has been personally responsible for killing a afghan terrorist in hand to hand combat and recovering arms which were unheard of like cyanide tip arrows, solar activated missiles and modified Aks back in the mid 90s.

However,you and i cant buy him beer as he is resting with his comrades in peace.

Regarding the PLA..i would like to talk about it when we meet.Here you never know who gets offended how if i state some facts.I like to respect my opponent as thats my attitude but here people take that for being a traitor.

AnantS

Country flag
@rkhanna @COLDHEARTED AVIATOR Thanks for input guys! And Much respect for the sacrifices your families have put in service of nation. I would urge you not mind jingoistic posturing and share your views here without violating opsec. You may choose to answer opposing views or ignore. Since truth is always grey and I believe as a Nation including our armed forces have much to learn and much much more gap to cover.

rkhanna

Country flag
Sure,whenever i get a layover next in Mumbai i will ping you if you are free we can have a beer.
Yes please

The 90s Kashmir RR ops is my favourite part of history of the Indian Army. Those were the times when we were ruthless.. as it was needed or we would have lost territory.

My old man has been personally responsible for killing a afghan terrorist in hand to hand combat and recovering arms which were unheard of like cyanide tip arrows, solar activated missiles and modified Aks back in the mid 90s.
Yes absolutely - As Khalistan wound down and the Pakis Spun up Kashmir all the Afghan Muhajids with a decade of experience fighting the soviets was what they pushed into the valley. Far cry from the ignorant poor villagers/ criminals/smugglers and wanna be instagram superstars masquerading as Jihadis today.

SF used to spend a substantial time in POK in those days ;) and RR was the blunt instrument that paid high costs perfecting their SOP's. Much gratitude to that generation. They won Kargil with sheer force of will.

However,you and i cant buy him beer as he is resting with his comrades in peace.
My condolences my friend. He is RTB now. Hopefully feet dry with a full glass in his hand.

Regarding the PLA..i would like to talk about it when we meet.Here you never know who gets offended how if i state some facts.I like to respect my opponent as thats my attitude but here people take that for being a traitor.
I feel you. Ditto on the respect for enemies. People confuse it with looking down on self but its a respect between soldiers that is uniquely theirs. Yahya Khan served with 2 of my Grand Uncles in WWII and fought against each other in 71. The respect they held for YK as a soldier and officer never wavered.

Unfortunately almost all my family (who have served) present and deceased would be "anti-national" if they voiced their opinions today on this forum.

Last edited:

Indrajit

Country flag
Unfortunately almost all my family (who have served) present and deceased would be "anti-national" if they voiced their opinions today on this forum.
Which is actually why you should post more often . A dose of realism won’t hurt a bit.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Those are cavalry soldiers my friend .. 2nd cavalry US Army.

I posted Infantry troops...hope you know what cavalry does and what infantry does?

Our very own best...just to show you i am not sharing a wrong thing....if you still disagree and have a problem with me pointing out things then..You are the best and i quit.

Yeah......... Cavalry doesn't know how to handle a firearm, which as far as I know is included in basic training even for non combatants. Its only infantry which know how to handle a firearm, how to aim, what should be the sling position et.al.

You are best my friend. Be happy.

Chinmoy

Country flag
the Bulk of Rank and File of the Indian Army not deployed on the IB or in J&K or involved in COIN is issued INSAS. These battalions down to a platoon and squad level regularly practice CQB with INSAS. I have seen it many a time when i have visited regimental center functions of my relatives.

If the Army was to roll across the border tomrrow and take Paki Towns to prepare a "beach head" then those towns will have to be cleared building by building - INSAS will the weapon they hold. These will be replaced by the AK203 / SIG 716 - there is nothing wrong with room clearing with a battle Rifle. the entirety of the first quarter of the Iraqi war was fought by Marins with the M16A2s doing just that.

Tactics make them more or less efficient not the tool.
IA trains for room intervention, but when it comes to real time scenario, they prefer to blow up the whole building. So train for all eventuality, but when it comes to ops, do what is best at the moment.

Even now, when CASO is taken place where room intervention is in fact carried on, troops do carry INSAS. But there is a clear mandate on doctrine there. If you would have seen pics of videos of real life encounter, you might have observed that INSAS is basically seen with the soldiers who forms the outer cordon.

RR, which spearhead such room intervention ops would always be armed with AK during patrolling or ops. Same is with AR. Ghataks of AR who does carry out ops are always armed with AK whereas they are the largest user of various INSAS version in my opinion.

rkhanna

Country flag
IA trains for room intervention, but when it comes to real time scenario, they prefer to blow up the whole building. So train for all eventuality, but when it comes to ops, do what is best at the moment.
Not Really - thats the SOP in Kashmir where there is a complete CASO Perimeter lock down and we have evacuated civilians etc. And we also have the luxury of time to put all the pieces of the CASO in place.

In a fast moving dynamic environment where you are taking an entire city center through rapid action you will being doing this double fast with civilians around. (read up on the Battle of Karbala (2003).

Even now, when CASO is taken place where room intervention is in fact carried on, troops do carry INSAS. But there is a clear mandate on doctrine there. If you would have seen pics of videos of real life encounter, you might have observed that INSAS is basically seen with the soldiers who forms the outer cordon.
Like i said what happens in Kashmir (SOPs etc) has nothing to do with how Regimental Centers train their troops. Regular soldiers DO practice CQB with INSAS

Dont equat the way the Military Operates in Kashmir with how they train for conflicts across a wider battle space. Kargil is a painful reminder of how COIN and conventional war are two different beasts.

Deathstar

Country flag
Like i have always said. Still Love the Old Indian Army Camo. Just upgrade the Material and keep the consistency of the end product the same.
Sir which camo is good? The one we use now? Or digi camos??
The German flecktarn camo is interesting

rkhanna

Country flag
Sir which camo is good? The one we use now? Or digi camos??
The German flecktarn camo is interesting
The Answer which camo is good has to be answered by various Services of the Indian Armed Forces with respect to the envoirments they operate in. Maritime, Desert, Jungle, Mountains, Snow, Plains, Urban. They answer HAS to come after extensive user trials and feedback and data analytics. so i dont know. and honestly i doubt if our army knows either. If you look at the short duration with which even the west changes/evolves their camo you will realise there is actually no right answer and no perfect camo.

I just "LIKE" the old Camo as I am partial to it. Grew up with his Camo all around me. Thats all

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not Really - thats the SOP in Kashmir where there is a complete CASO Perimeter lock down and we have evacuated civilians etc. And we also have the luxury of time to put all the pieces of the CASO in place.

In a fast moving dynamic environment where you are taking an entire city center through rapid action you will being doing this double fast with civilians around. (read up on the Battle of Karbala (2003).

Like i said what happens in Kashmir (SOPs etc) has nothing to do with how Regimental Centers train their troops. Regular soldiers DO practice CQB with INSAS

Dont equat the way the Military Operates in Kashmir with how they train for conflicts across a wider battle space. Kargil is a painful reminder of how COIN and conventional war are two different beasts.
I have seen similar SOP in NE. Here too, instead of going for room intervention, the first thing soldiers gets trained for is to lob grenade inside room thru any possible vent to flush out terrorist.

Room intervention is something which is off course there in the curriculum, but a normal infantry man would be the last to employ it.

As far as invading Pakistan is concerned, I'd better keep my thoughts to myself.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles