Suu Kyi Shows Politician's Pragmatism

amoy

Aung Sang Suu Kyi seems now a mature and pragmatic politician, and is ready to reign rather than maintaining her role in the opposition .

China shall invite her for a visit. Her father was "kidnapped" by Japnese during WWII in Amoy.

Suu Kyi's endorsement of the commission's findings could erode some of the deep and wide support she has enjoyed for more than two decades as she spearheaded the democratic opposition to the repressive former military government.

A nominally civilian elected government took power in 2011, and Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party contested by-elections last year, giving her a seat in parliament.

As her party has agreed to play by parliamentary rules - in effect endorsing the army-backed government's reform efforts - there is an opening for more antimilitary activists to win over a share of disaffected voters who prefer a quicker pace of change than allowed under the army-dictated constitution. The next general election is in 2015.

Protesters say the mine, a joint venture with China's Wan Bao mining company, causes environmental, social and health problems and should be shut down.

The report said the operation should not be halted, but acknowledged that the mine lacked strong environmental protection measures and would not create more jobs for local people. It said scrapping the mine could create tension with China and could discourage badly needed foreign investment.
Suu Kyi Shows Politician's Pragmatism | The Irrawaddy Magazine

Read more: Villagers unhappy that Suu Kyi backs mine - SFGate

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles