Sukhoi Su 30MKI

vram

Country flag
by now i guess they must have been installed after all the embarrassing remarks done to su-30s in red flag-08 by Americans regarding datalink problems..........
Well to be perfectly honest I think the MKI pilot's where still learning the ropes per se for handling this aircraft back then(Cope India was SU-30 if i am not wrong?) and forming an operational doctrine so EVEN with the data links in place a much more trained ai rforce( by this I mean hours in the seat and not quality) like the USAF will still have found loop holes.Guess thats what these exercises are all about. But we did give an performance to reckon with :D. Also din't the BARS radar have some operational restriction imposed on it if I remember correctly?Also remember ROFL! to the french air force sitting and listening electronically on everyone else...rather than fighting!

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
AK Antony to inaugurate Su-30 squadron at Thanjavur air base today

Defence Minister AK Antony will on Monday inaugurate an airbase here to house squadron of IAFs lethal Su-30 MKI combat aircraft, making it the first fighter squadron in south India that will help maintain vigil over the Indian Ocean region.

The Indian Air Force (IAF) will base a squadron of agile Sukhoi Su-30 fighter aircraft in Thajavur, making it the first fighter squadron in Southern India, with a view to keep strategic vigil over the Indian Ocean and cover up country's southern flank up to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, IAF officials said in Thanjavur.

The IAF will keep deploying its regular fighter and transport aircraft detachments here since the runway and other facilities are in place here now.

This would also be the first of fighter squadrons under the Southern Air Command of the IAF at any place in southern India.

The IAF has upgraded the two runways at the airbase, which has been existing for several decades and used extensively for relief operations during the tsunami and flood situations in Tamil Nadu in the recent past.

The inauguration of the base will see the landing and take off of the SU-30s but the full squadron of these aircraft including 16 to 18 jets will be completed by 2017-18 onlee.

The Sukhois were inducted into the IAF at Lohegaon airbase in 2002.

Thereafter, they were deployed at Bareilly, followed by Tezpur, Chhabua, Jodhpur, Bhatinda and Halwara.

Pune and Bareilly already have housed two Sukhoi squadrons each, while Tezpur, Chabua, Halwara and Jodhpur have a squadron each.

So far India has inducted over 170 of the 272 Sukhoi-30 MKIs contracted from Russia.
AK Antony to inaugurate Su-30 squadron at Thanjavur air base today | idrw.org

SU-30 MKI programme on schedule: HAL

This is with reference to various reports that appeared in a section of Press over Sukhoi (Su-30 MKI) production. The reports, quoting a Russian newspaper, are completely incorrect.

It is hereby clarified that the production of Su-30 MKI aircraft continues in HAL. Total technology is getting established in HAL as planned. In order to complete the programme by 2015 instead of 2018, as required by the Indian Air Force, certain components and systems are being procured from Russia. This decision was taken to optimize the investments in HAL.

The programme of indigenous production of Su-30 MKI aircraft in HAL is continuing at an accelerated pace as compared to earlier plan.
Hindustan Aeronautics Limited

All orders of Su-30 MKI to be completed by 2015 onlee?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
seems logical, afaik HAL is producing MKIs @ 2 squadrons per year,
so for 2013 to 2015 it is:
18x2=36x3=108 Birds in three years.

ladder

Country flag
seems logical, afaik HAL is producing MKIs @ 2 squadrons per year,
so for 2013 to 2015 it is:
18x2=36x3=108 Birds in three years.
May be IAF wants HAL to go slow as Rafale deal is getting late and extend it to 2017-18
or that Thanjavur will induct a sqd. of Su-30 which are transferred from western or northern airbases when Rafale induction takes place at that location.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
bit to much not that i have any complaints
Yeah for me too but what I have learned is that he production is under compressed delivery schedule.

May be IAF wants HAL to go slow as Rafale deal is getting late and extend it to 2017-18
or that Thanjavur will induct a sqd. of Su-30 which are transferred from western or northern airbases when Rafale induction takes place at that location.
We the the time in between can be utilised for converting older models to Super Sukohi Standard :troll:

TrueSpirit

If that's the case, it is a wise move then.

p2prada

The 2015 date does not include the last tranche of 42 MKIs. MKIs will be manufactured until 2018, that's why Thanjavur will get its squadron only in 2017-18.

Twinblade

Country flag
X-posting from Astra thread.

Captive Flight Test of ASTRA Missile on Su-30 MKI Aircraft
Issue 73, June 6, 2013, HAL-CONNECT

ASTRA missile integration scheme was sucessfully designed and developed by Design Electrical Department of AURDC, HAL(ND). It was a major modification on Su-30 MKI aircraft carried out by AURDC for enhancing its operational capabilities. This includes electrical integration, avionics integration and also Flight Test Instrumentation (FTI) activities.

Captive Flight Test (CFT) for Astra missile on Su-30 MKI aircraft was planned in three phases. Phase-1, to carry out aero-structural and mechanical integrity for carriage of ASTRAunder steady and maneuvering conditions, phase-2, to carry out validation of weapon control system and its electrical and avionic interfaces with ASTRA missile and in phase-3, to check the performance of missile system in transmitting and receiving mode of missile seeker with
designated target under different flight conditions and the live firing of the ASTRAmissile from Su-30 MKI aircraft. Significant contributions, exceptional professionalism and support provided by the team of HAL Nasik Division for Integration of India's first indigenous (Air-to-Air) ASTRA missile on Su-30 MKI aircraft was appreciated by Project Director ASTRA, Shri. PVenugopal, Sc-G, DRDL, Hyderabad.
http://hal-india.com/HAL-CONNECT/HAL-CONNECT-ISSUE-73.pdf

p2prada

Okay, here's a fanboy poser...

So, is it that MKI is effective against 4th Gen fighters, only ?

I mean, what is real use case for MKI's vastly superior maneuverability & powerful radar, if it MKI would face difficulty in evading BVRAAM's fired from 4.5 Gen foes...?
MKI is very effective against any aircraft as long as regular upgrades are carried out. MKI is going to have to rely on its large radar system and EW to survive a 4.5th gen threat. MKI is a 4.5th gen aircraft too.

As it stands today, what are MKI's chances against PAF's upgraded F-16's (Block 52, I guess), J-10's, Su-30 MKK, Gripen-NG (when its fielded) & EF (the Saudi version) ?
MKI is better than F-16, J-10 and MKK. Gripen NG should have some levels of capability against MKI, but that's only today's MKI. Tomorrow, the MKI will have detection and tracking ranges in excess of 300 maybe 400Km. EF (upgraded) will be in the Gripen NG range, a little better in terms of radar capability. Except for MKK, all other aircraft carry small radars.

p2prada

I forgot to add something else.

Sukhoi had tested weapons pods for Su-27 decades ago. So if this upgrade is available for MKI, then we will see an EWP pod in the centerline between the intakes which will hold a bunch of missiles. This will give us a decent boost in capability against even 5th gen aircraft, let alone 4.5th gen.

TrueSpirit

I forgot to add something else.

Sukhoi had tested weapons pods for Su-27 decades ago. So if this upgrade is available for MKI, then we will see an EWP pod in the centerline between the intakes which will hold a bunch of missiles. This will give us a decent boost in capability against even 5th gen aircraft, let alone 4.5th gen.
Got it, like the path F/A-18E/F has recently chosen for missions than require stealth. This is an excerpt from one of your posts:

The EWP itself may have lower RCS, but the missiles inside the pod do not have a low RCS. The missiles themselves will generate reflections between each other. Then the attachment between the pod and the wing will create a reflector. And so on and so forth.

An EWP pod is not an answer to more stealthy aircraft. It is merely a method to carry more missiles rather than a cheap replacement to an actual stealth aircraft.

As for whether 4th gen aircraft without internal bays can pass off as 5th gen fighters with just the EWP. Not possible. Yeah, it will be better than a 4th gen fighter without EWP, at least in terms of weapons load. But such large EWP take over crucial heavy hardpoints that are needed to carry fuel in EFTs.

On an MKI, the centerline can already hold 4 R-77s. If we add two EWPs with 3 missiles each on the inner most hardpoints, then we may end up increasing the weapons load by only 2 missiles. A regular MKI may carry 14 missiles with multi-ejector racks, with EWP only 2 additional missiles are added since the EWPs are big enough to cover up an extra hardpoint on the wing that normally carries the innermost R-73. So you think the additional cost is acceptable, just for 2 or 4 extra missiles?
So, what is your understanding...is it worth it, or not ?

I guess, EWP does make some sense when fielded against adversaries with stealth characteristics, so as to increase MKI's chances; is that correct ?

p2prada

So, what is your understanding...is it worth it, or not ?

I guess, EWP does make some sense when fielded against adversaries with stealth characteristics, so as to increase MKI's chances; is that correct ?
The earlier post of mine is valid even in this case. However the pod we are talking about is quite different from what's planned for SH and Rafale.

Meaning the pod fits right into the fuselage like a CFT like the one on the F-15 Silent Eagle instead of a drop tank type fitment.

TrueSpirit

The earlier post of mine is valid even in this case. However the pod we are talking about is quite different from what's planned for SH and Rafale.

Meaning the pod fits right into the fuselage like a CFT like the one on the F-15 Silent Eagle instead of a drop tank type fitment.
Okay. You also said that EWP suits best in CAS role (rather, than in A2A role), where aircraft carries a dedicated strike package, accompanied by a with a few BVRAAM's.

p2prada

Okay. You also said that EWP suits best in CAS role (rather, than in A2A role), where aircraft carries a dedicated strike package, accompanied by a with a few BVRAAM's.
IIRC, I said EWPs will be good for CAP, not CAS. CAP is Combat Air Patrol where the aircraft is required to fly for long periods of time with a decent BVR package.

In strike roles, the aircraft is bogged down with drop tanks and bombs. So it cannot go supersonic in those conditions. Hence adding EWPs will increase missile count without using up more hardpoints.

For eg:

Here, the inner hardpoint may be carrying a EWP. The rest may be drop tanks and SCALP. So the aircraft is carrying a missile load more than six. Or it could also be carrying a large bomb or two while being a bit more stealthy than a conventional loadout.

In case of MKI, the EWPs will be part of the fuselage, in the nacelle, like the F-15 Silent Eagle and this is primarily for air to air combat. Sukhoi did not continue with this because they knew the Su-27 was good enough even without it.

Like this,

In Silent Eagle, the CFTs are modified to carry 4 Aim-120Ds while not losing its aerodynamic qualities. The MKIs EWPs could also be CFTs. What could be convenient is that the loadout of the MKI with EWP could be as much as a J-20's main internal bay.

p2prada

The image is a photoshop, but such a concept was tested 30 years ago.

That's enough space for 4 R-77s.

p2prada

SIPRI is really slipping listing a deal that never happened. :lol:
It seems the news is real. This is just phase one of the upgrades for the first 80 aircraft we inducted.

Eventually, there may be phase two and phase three which will see upgrades happening all through next decade once the next 80 or so are old enough. I suppose most of the 270 aircraft will be upgraded at least twice between now and 2050.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles