Sukhoi Su 30MKI

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Just heard 2 sonic booms a second apart over the skies of east Kolkata (my house is in line with approach to dumdum airport). But there are no MKI or other squadrons stationed near Kolkata, is there? Even Dumdum is a pure civilian airport AFAIK.

Wonder what they might have been... :confused:

shankyz

Country flag
Just heard 2 sonic booms a second apart over the skies of east Kolkata (my house is in line with approach to dumdum airport). But there are no MKI or other squadrons stationed near Kolkata, is there? Even Dumdum is a pure civilian airport AFAIK.

Wonder what they might have been... :confused:
Kalaikunda does not base the Flankers ?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
AFAIK, the Kalaikunda MiG-27s & Bisons (are there MKIs there yet?) do practice trips between itself and Bagdogra or A&C Command. Never comes near Kolkata.

Kalaikunda does not base the Flankers ?

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
All doors and windows rattled. My house is near Ruby Hospital.

Are you asking location of Kalaikunda AFB? It is just west of Kharagpur.

Nothing heard in South Kolkata. Where are those bases?

Defcon 1

Country flag
All doors and windows rattled. My house is near Ruby Hospital.

Are you asking location of Kalaikunda AFB? It is just west of Kharagpur.
You are in East Kolkata and Kharagpur is in west. I am in south. So the fighter didn't go to strait of Malacca. Going into NE? But there is Bangladesh in the way. I am sure if something had rattled I would have heard it, absent minded as I am though. :confused:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
hehehe I guess the ambient noise of Kolkata is higher than the sonic boom.

My house is rather towards the end of civilization (rather urbanization) with very low ambient noise ;)

You are in East Kolkata and Kharagpur is in west. I am in south. So the fighter didn't go to strait of Malacca. Going into NE? But there is Bangladesh in the way. I am sure if something had rattled I would have heard it, absent minded as I am though. :confused:

Defcon 1

Country flag
hehehe I guess the ambient noise of Kolkata is higher than the sonic boom.

My house is rather towards the end of civilization (rather urbanization) with very low ambient noise ;)

I am in Joka. No civilization. no noise. Even buses don't come to Joka.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Joka is quite far away, don't know if the boom would travel so far. My home is in South East Kolkata, yours South West Kolkata. There is 16km of South Kolkata in between.

mikhail

Country flag
Lol,there is a whole 3A bus stand in Joka,plus it has got a separate SD-4/SD-4/1 Bus stand right beside the 3-A bus stand,then there are auto rickshaws available from the early morning,then there are a no. of other buses which go to Aamtala via Joka like SD-16,SD-76,12/C/1 etc.My friend owns an apartment in the Genxx valley complex.I go there frequently for joint study hence i know this.

mikhail

Country flag
Joka is quite far away, don't know if the boom would travel so far. My home is in South East Kolkata, yours South West Kolkata. There is 16km of South Kolkata in between.
A fortnight ago i saw an IAF AW-101 flying low above the Central Kolkata sky.I couldn't believe my eyes at first but later learnt that our President was visiting our city at that day.So there is a possibility that a Su-30 MKI did fly above your house today considering the fact that a Su-30 MKI squadron may be posted at Kalaikunda airbase:rolleyes:.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
AW-101 still flying? I thought all were grounded!

A fortnight ago i saw an IAF AW-101 flying low above the Central Kolkata sky.I couldn't believe my eyes at first but later learnt that our President was visiting our city at that day.So there is a possibility that a Su-30 MKI did fly above your house today considering the fact that a Su-30 MKI squadron may be posted at Kalaikunda airbase:rolleyes:.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Lol,there is a whole 3A bus stand in Joka,plus it has got a separate SD-4/SD-4/1 Bus stand right beside the 3-A bus stand,then there are auto rickshaws available from the early morning,then there are a no. of other buses which go to Aamtala via Joka like SD-16,SD-76,12/C/1 etc.My friend owns an apartment in the Genxx valley complex.I go there frequently for joint study hence i know this.
I live beyond 3A. Try boarding a bus to beyond 3A

mikhail

Country flag
AW-101 still flying? I thought all were grounded!
Mate i also thought the same hence couldn't believe my own eyes when i saw one of them flying just over my head near Sealdah.Since it was flying pretty low(about 200-300 feet off the ground) i was able to get a good look on its body and i am cent percent sure that it was nothing else than the AW-101 itself.Beside me another member of this forum @shom also saw the same thing and he also identified it as the AW-101.Plus both of us have earlier seen the MI-17V5 helicopters flying over the Kolkata sky on numerous occasion,plus the elongated fuselage of the AW-101 is an unique feature that someone simply can't miss:rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikhail

Country flag
I live beyond 3A. Try boarding a bus to beyond 3A
But still you will have the SD-76,SD-16,12-C,12-C/1,12-C/2 and a lot of other buses,but then again it's very difficult to get a bus after 8:30 in the nightin that part of the city.

sgarg

Google Earth shows Jodhpur and Sirsa with Su-30 and Bhuj with Jaguars. Anybody having knowledge of current Su-30 squadrons?
They have modernized Bhisiana airbase, seems that is candidate for Su-30 squadron.

sgarg

Google earth shows Su-30 at Sirsa, so Sirsa should be added to the list. Delivery of 200 a/c means 11 squadrons at 18 a/c each.
Pune-2, Bareilly-2, Halwara-2,Tezpur-1,Guwahati-1, Sirsa-1,Jodhpur-1; still one sq missing.

p2prada

Google earth shows Su-30 at Sirsa, so Sirsa should be added to the list. Delivery of 200 a/c means 11 squadrons at 18 a/c each.
Pune-2, Bareilly-2, Halwara-2,Tezpur-1,Guwahati-1, Sirsa-1,Jodhpur-1; still one sq missing.
None in Guwahati. Chabua has one.

In the future, Chabua and Tezpur will get one each. Jodhpur will get one more and Thanjavur will get one. That's 4 squadrons.

So all are covered. Around 13.5-14 squadrons. I'm not sure if the 11th squad has been raised yet. 9 are well known. IAF is already taking delivery of the 42 aircraft that was ordered earlier.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles