Sri Lanka Watch, News and Discussions

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Well for starters Indian HDI is lower than Sri Lanka. Which is a huge problem.

Then there are extremist issues which India couldn't tackle yet.

And also, there is a concern about the pervasive laws regarding marriage and stuff.
-reductive argument where comparison is not to scale.
-two crore population(equivalent to mumbai resident population) will have an advantage in statistics when compared to 135 crore population.
-geography plays a role in "extremist" issue. if SL had a border with china or pak, will the situation be same in SL, the answer is no.

Kumata

Country flag
View attachment 150488

Is there any method for us to buy Property over there?
I was thinking of a beach destination trip to sri lanka for long... think time is ripe...

On a serious note.. Many of my colleagues moved to SL for that "Onsite" tag leaving food packages in india... my sincere Sympathies with them :D

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
I was thinking of a beach destination trip to sri lanka for long... think time is ripe...

On a serious note.. Many of my colleagues moved to SL for that "Onsite" tag leaving food packages in india... my sincere Sympathies with them :D
How about we jointly buy a summer house :truestory:

But first is it legal for non citizen to buy land

Kumata

Country flag
How about we jointly buy a summer house :truestory:

But first is it legal for non citizen to buy land
I suspect ... if it is legal to buy house in SL .. but will make for a nice beach holidays each year... rest of the time, AIR B&B works..

HeinzGud

Country flag
Isn't kattaragama a place where all religious denominations flock to?
My father knew a dude from Colombo, Christian guy who told him he used to go to a Ganesh temple somewhere outside the city. Maybe it is a small.pne not sure though.
Kataragama is a staple Buddhist shrine. It is dedicated to Skanda Kumara. I think the brother of Ganesha.

Tamil and Veddha people also venerates it.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Isn't kattaragama a place where all religious denominations flock to?
My father knew a dude from Colombo, Christian guy who told him he used to go to a Ganesh temple somewhere outside the city. Maybe it is a small one not sure though.
There is one other called Anuradhapura

HeinzGud

Country flag
There are many of them ofcourse as we know Chola kings went as far as Cambodia Angkorwat. I don't remember the exact names in Sri lanka though goes something like polnaruw or something.
Chola temples were set up around 1100 CE. Mere recent constructions.

But the temple at Trincomalee is considered to be much much older. Probably going back to about 2-3 centuries BC.

asaffronladoftherisingsun

Dharma Dispatcher
Country flag
Chola temples were set up around 1100 CE. Mere recent constructions.

But the temple at Trincomalee is considered to be much much older. Probably going back to about 2-3 centuries BC.
Anuradhapura or Anuradhapuram in Sri Lanka is a place there of great antiquity with extensive trade and people to people contacts viz Kalinga Chera and Pandyas. Some temples are of course in ruins now yet the antiquity still goes all way back to 400 bce.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles