Small arms of India

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
She is doing a drill and yes her instructor should have eaten her, Dirt in the barrel is for-bitten crime ..

@Kunal Biswas Off topic but.. is this Carl Gustav? or is she wrong handling for Photo-shoot? if Photo-shoot their would not be any mud in Gun barrel !

didnt know where to ask question, if wrong thread, you change the thread.. sorry....

hammer head

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas Off topic but.. is this Carl Gustav? or is she wrong handling for Photo-shoot? if Photo-shoot their would not be any mud in Gun barrel !

didnt know where to ask question, if wrong thread, you change the thread.. sorry....
The pic is from a trg ex in OTA, cadets some times run with dummies having weight similar to that of the wpn which in this case is a dummy of 84 mm RL.

aliyah

there are rumors of some AK type guns India will be buying from Israel during modi visit. anyone know about gun?

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
NAGPUR: Responding to army's call to get a new high calibre assault rifle, the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has developed a weapon on a fast track basis. In normal course, it takes around a year at least to come up with a new weapon. But the assault rifle was ready in six months. The rifle of 7.62x52 calibre operates on the rotating bolt model, same as the legendary AK-47. However, the OFB gun has a higher calibre compared to AK-47 which is a 7.62x39 rifle.

The guns will be manufactured at Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) in West Bengal, said director general of OFB S C Bajpai. He was in city to address the valedictory function of Indian Ordnance Factory Service (IOFS) officers at the National Academy of Defence Production (NADP).

Bajpai said an internal trial of the weapon would be held next month. Thereafter, in May, the rifle would be offered to the project evaluation committee that has members of army too. The user trials by the army are expected this year itself.

Bajpai said in the initial stage it was found the gun had a higher recoil which hampered the comfort of the user. A buffer has been developed through DRDO to bring down the recoil, he said.

INSAS, which was used in the Kargil war, is being replaced and the army wants rifles of 7.62 calibre which have a higher lethality. The 5.56 mm bullet used in INSAS generally does not kill the enemy, instead leaves them injured. The theory is wounding the enemy is more effective in a war as it takes several other soldiers to evacuate the injured, thus reducing the enemy strength. However, in counter insurgency and anti-terror operations, the army prefers a bullet that kills, said an ordnance factory source.

This is the second assault rifle developed by the ordnance factory. The 7.62x39 calibre Ghatak is used by the paramilitary forces. Ordnance Factory Trichi has also independently developed an assault rifle of the same calibre. Trichi rifle works on tilting bolt model which is different from AK-47.

'Hopeful of Pinaka production restarting soon'

The Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) is confident that production of Pinaka rockets, which had stopped after a misfire during a trial about a year ago, would restart soon. Director General of OFB S C Bajpai told TOI several rounds had been fired earlier but there was no such problem. Only the existing control system needed to be tightened to prevent such incident in future. The factory was ready with a new lot of rockets which could be test fired, he said.

OFB develops new rifle for army in quick time | Nagpur News - Times of India

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
They've made this pretty quickly, or they were in the loop about the caliber change. If it was a quick change, this might be a conversion of Ghaatak, Excalibur. Maybe a small chance of a completely new design? Interesting DRDO was consulting in reducing the recoil. Looking forward to see what they made.

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
Here is SIG 751................................
upload_2017-3-30_10-0-16.png

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
The rifle of 7.62x52 calibre operates on the rotating bolt model, same as the legendary AK-47. However, the OFB gun has a higher calibre compared to AK-47 which is a 7.62x39 rifle.
So that means the OFB rifle is longer than the AK-47, making it a little unwieldy! But it would of course have a longer effective range. However it may not be suitable for CI ops.

F-14B

#iamPUROHIT
Country flag
Guys got pics of the above mentioned gun by Iof ????

sbm

Country flag
Oh boy oh boy! You made my day. Not from the 1960s my friend. The 1940s. That is a Thompson M1928A1. I wonder what state police force? Stock seems missing. Might be JKP.

Spindrift

Oh boy oh boy! You made my day. Not from the 1960s my friend. The 1940s. That is a Thompson M1928A1. I wonder what state police force? Stock seems missing. Might be JKP.
I have seen them with UP police as well.. A lot police forces have Thompsons, M1 Grands, M1 Carbines and 1911s

sbm

Country flag
I have seen them with UP police as well.. A lot police forces have Thompsons, M1 Grands, M1 Carbines and 1911s
I am hoping (maybe in vain) that some photos can be found? I'm a fan of such guns. The M1 Garand was seen with the Punjab police in the 1980s and one Thompson in the hands of the TN task forces in about 1995 hunting Verappan (with a M3 Grease Gun too). Any photos anyone has from anywhere much appreciated.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Can somebody educate readers that which Israeli 7.62 bore rifle among the whole lot tested by the Army is their preferred choice? What made so many of these foreign made rifles be rejected? The flip side of the question why was Israeli rifle selected?

INSAS for sure is a history, because it has been foul mouthed by all the keyboard warriors, more experienced defence analysts and at times by the army, for flimsy reasons. Pity that Army preferred the smaller bore INSAS in 1994 but seems to dump it now. Quality of the weapon produced is not the reason. The American M-16 had the same quality problems for ten years after its induction in Vietnam in 1964.

Indian Army top brass is a bunch of spoiled people. They make the least effort to rectify problems and become a stakeholders in the solution. They run to the media quickly except they do not do it themselves but they have tons of ex servicemen, analysts and keyboard warriors to do it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Inaugurated exhibition of DPSU products at the Manekshaw Centre, New Delhi, May 30, 2017

Rchauhan

Country flag
Imaginary support for foreign war material in your argument by foul mouthing local material. Army invariably moves the goal post. Nobody questions them. My question why are they allowed to move the goal post every time. It is a repeat of LCA.

To remind you, all foreign rifles, (six of them) failed the trials two years back. So why should IA should have confidence in 'foreign Maal' defies any logic.

Keyboard warriors love to argue about two or three INSAS failures during Kargil operation. All rifles fail including M-16 during war situation. But INSAS failure is highlighted every time. Its derivative Excalibur was the only rifle passed the test. Strangely, the Army switched the goal post to 7.62 caliber just not to have the local material.

It was in 1996 that the Army brass insisted on 5.56 caliber. They dumped the fine working rifle 7.62 FAL. Well it's recoil was not to their liking, although it killed the guy behind the wall and the guy behind him too. Now they are back to 7.62, and asking for rifle firing a killing round and still not recoil. A few suppliers are willing to bring their rifle for test together with glossy brochures and pocket full of bribe money, hoping that their rifle may not recoil, work in all weather conditions and independent of dust and derby and still weigh 7-8 pounds. ...... stupid eh......
Thats where You are wrong ,,,,, I would like to see a fair Trial and best rifle to reach our Boys ..... it is true that self-reliance is necessary but not at the cost of failed Rifle that leads to deaths of our Boys .... I am not favoring M16 ,,,, Fuck M16 ,, its American Rifle and its their Problem .... Our Problem is to replace INSAS with the best Rifle Possible in a Given Budget so let their be a fair Trial ... All the Foreign in" MULTI CAL " Type failed the Competition ... I dont think Tavor in 7.62 NATO was even the part of that competition ... I wish our PSU has produced a Great Rifle (because they know Indian conditions much better than anyone else ) but not at the cost of Quality .,,,,, And My Friend You too are using Keyboard I guess ,,,, and You seems to love INSAS ....so :) at last ,..... You seems to agree that 7.62 FAL. was a good Rifle .... it was not made By Indian PSU

Rchauhan

Country flag
The list pasted below proves that, what you say is not exactly true. if DPSU were so bad, they wouldn't be having 2.5 lakh crore of book order(past + future).

Missiles  Agni Series of Missiles (Range up to 5000 km plus).  Akash : Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (Range: 25 km)  BrahMos Supersonic Cruise Missile (Range: 290 km).  Dhanush : Naval Version of Prithvi Surface to Surface Missile (Range: 250 km).  Prithvi : Surface-to-Surface Missile (SSM) (Range: 150 km – 350 km).

Armaments  105mm FSAPDS ammunitionVijayanta and T-55 (UG) MBTs  105mm Indian Field Gun (IFG) & family of ammunition  105mm Light Field Gun (LFG)  120mm FSAPDS MK-I ammunition for Arjun Tank  120mm HESH ammunition for Arjun Tank  120mm Main Armament System - MBT Arjun  122mm Grad Rocket for BM-21 MBRL  125mm FSAPDS MK-I ammunition for T-72/T-90 Tanks  125mm FSAPDS MK-I KE Ammunition for T-72 MBT  125mm FSAPDS MK-II Ammunition for T-72 Tank  30mm AGS-17 HE Grenade ‘Rudra’  450 kg / 250 kg HSLD Bomb with RTU and BTU  5.56mm INSAS Family : Rifle, LMG & Ammunition  51mm Infantry Platoon Mortar & Family of Ammunition  7.62mm Self Loading (Ishapore) Rifle  Bund Blasting Device.  Family of Mechanical, Electronic & Proximity Fuzes  Family of Smoke Ammunition for Mortars and Guns  Fire Detection and Suppression System.  Fuze FBRN 2I, FBT 3I & 4I for A/C Bombs  Illuminating Ammunition for 51, 81 & 120mm Mortar & IFG  Influence Mine, Adrushy.  Influence Munition Mk-II  Limpet Munition  Medium and Short Range ECCM Rockets  Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher (MBRL), Pinaka (Range: 10 km – 38 km).  Multi-Mode Hand Grenade.  PF, Incendiary and Submunition Warheads for ‘Prithvi’  Portable Handled & Backpack Water Mist System  Short Range ASW Rocket  Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL).  Warheads for Surface to Air Akash Missile

Combat Vehicles & Engineering Systems  Aircraft Mounted Accessory Gear Box for LCA Tejas  ArmouredAmbhibious Dozer.  Armoured Ambulance Tracked (on BMP).  Armoured Engineer Recce Vehicle (AERV).  Battery Command Post  Bridge Layer Tank T-72.  Bullet Proof Light Vehicle  Carrier Command Post Tracked (CCPT) on BMP.  Carrier Mortar Tracked.  Combat Improved Ajeya (CIA) Tank.  Gunnery Task Training Simulator  Launcher  Light Armoured Troops Carrier  Main Battle Tank (MBT) Arjun Mk-I.  Mobile Decontamination System.  Multispan Mobile Bridging System, Sarvatra.  NBC Recce Vehicle.  Operation Theatre on Wheels.  Replenishment Vehicle  Riot Control Vehicle  Unmanned Ground Vehicle.  Water Cannon.

Aeronautical Systems  Airborne Early Warning & Control (AEW&C) System.  Aircraft Arrester Barriers.  Electronic Warfare Suite for Fighter Aircraft for Mig 27 &Tejas Aircraft.  Heavy Drop System.  Light Combat Aircraft (LCA), Tejas.  Medium Sized Aerostat 2000 m3 “Akashdeep”.  Parachutes of various Sizes and Capacities  Pilotless Target Aircraft (PTA), Lakshya-I.  Remotely Operated Vehicle (ROV), Daksh.  Remotely Piloted Vehicle (RPV), Nishant.  Technology for Identification of Friends or Foe  Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) Rustom-I.

Electronics& Communication Systems  2D-Low Level Light Weight Radar (LLLWR), Bharani.  3D-Central Acquisition Radar, Revathi.  3D-Low Level Light Weight Radar (LLLWR), Ashlesha.  3D-Medium Range Surveillance Radar, Rohini.  3D-Tactical Control Radar (TCR).  Artillery Combat Command & Control System (ACCCS).  Battle Field Surveillance Radar-Short Range (BFSR-SR).  Combat Net Radio.  Command Information Decision Support System (CIDSS), Samvahak.  Electronic Warfare System, Samyukta for Army.  Electronic Warfare System, Sangraha for Navy.  Electronic Warfare System, Varuna for Navy.  Inertial Navigation System  Interception, Monitoring, Direction Finding & Analysis System, Divya Drishti.  Multifunction Phased Array Radar, Rajendra.  Night Vision Devices.  Pulse Compressor Radar, Indra.  SATCOM Terminals.  Secured Telephone.  Servo Valves  Supervision 2000 Radar.  Weapon Locating Radar (WLR).

Naval Systems  Active cum Passive Towed Array Sonar, Nagan.  Advanced Panoramic Sonar Hull Mounted (APSOH).  Airborne Dunking Sonar, Mihir.  Ground Mines  Hull Mounted Sonar HUMSA.  Hull Mounted Variable Depth (HUMVAD) Sonar.  Integrated Submarine Sonar System-USHUS.  Integrated Submarine Sonar-Panchendriya.  Low Frequency Dunking Sonar (LFDS).  Moored Mines.  New Generation Hull Mounted Sonar HUMSA-NG.  Torpedo Advanced Light (TAL).  Torpedo Decoy System.  Underwater Telephone. Materials,

NBC & Life Sciences Systems
 Armour and Special Steels.  Bio-digester Toilets  Combat Free Fall Equipment.  Flame Retardant.  Heavy Alloys.  High Altitude Pulmonary Odema (HAPO) Chamber.  Integrated Shelters.  NBC Detection and Protection Items.  Permafrost Facility  Submarine Escape Suit.  Textiles and General Stores.  Various types of Food Products.  Water Purification System.

Microelectronic Devices and Computational Systems
 Artificial Intelligence Technologies  Cyber Security Products  Data Encryption Technologies  Microwave Power Modules  Technologies for Network Management System  Technologies for Secured Communication
of all these achivement I give the Indian (Hindustani Brain that first starts thinking out of box )the Maximum points .... these are just 1% of what that Brain is capable of achieving .. but that dosent mean we are good at everything we make in India ..... I hope You get the Point when I say a fair Trail and may the best rifle win this contract

Chinmoy

Country flag
Thats where You are wrong ,,,,, I would like to see a fair Trial and best rifle to reach our Boys ..... it is true that self-reliance is necessary but not at the cost of failed Rifle that leads to deaths of our Boys .... I am not favoring M16 ,,,, Fuck M16 ,, its American Rifle and its their Problem .... Our Problem is to replace INSAS with the best Rifle Possible in a Given Budget so let their be a fair Trial ... All the Foreign in" MULTI CAL " Type failed the Competition ... I dont think Tavor in 7.62 NATO was even the part of that competition ... I wish our PSU has produced a Great Rifle (because they know Indian conditions much better than anyone else ) but not at the cost of Quality .,,,,, And My Friend You too are using Keyboard I guess ,,,, and You seems to love INSAS ....so :) at last ,..... You seems to agree that 7.62 FAL. was a good Rifle .... it was not made By Indian PSU
And the best part is, Excalibur which beat every other foreign competitor is yet to see deployment with regular IA. For last couple of years it is with Paramilitary like Assam Rifles only and mind you, it is on par with AKM as per them. But alas, while we have people foul mouthing INSAS both in and out and looking for replacement of INSAS with requirement which keeps on changing more frequently then underwear, there had been no taker of Excalibur till now even in name of upgradation.

it is true that self-reliance is necessary but not at the cost of failed Rifle that leads to deaths of our Boys
BTW, from where you got the input that our soldiers died because of INSAS?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles