Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tomthounaojam

Country flag
Poor guy..did everything for development of indigenous weapons yet no orders in so many years. What a cruel joke aatmanirbhar campaign is turning our to be
I don't think the army will place any order, however, I did like to see state police or the MOHA buy some weapons, otherwise, we are killing our own industries.

RDXChauhan

Country flag
I had a foolish question, Why didn't we get the same buttstock on ak203 as Russians.
Why did we drop the retractable butt?

shade

Country flag
INDO-RUSSIAN JOINT VENTURE HANDED OVER 27,000 AK-203 ASSAULT RIFLES TO INDIAN ARMY
The Indian Army has started receiving the Russian AK-203 assault rifles after the deal with Russia saw back-to-back delays, partly due to the war in Ukraine and payment delays. As many as 27,000 rifles have been handed over to the Army so far by the Indo-Russian joint venture established at Korwa in Uttar Pradesh, according to official sources.

“Everything is on track after initial delays, and 27,000 rifles have been given to the Army. Another 8,000 will be handed over in the next two weeks. Indigenisation level achieved is around 25%,” an official in the know said.

A source said that more than 10,000 rifles have been handed over to Units and additional ones are being inspected.

Under an over ₹5,000-crore contract signed in July 2021, over 6.1 lakh AK-203 assault rifles are to be manufactured in India with technology transfer from Russia, by a joint venture Indo-Russian Rifles Private Limited (IRRPL). The IRRPL was set up in 2019 between the erstwhile Ordnance Factory Board [now Advanced Weapons and Equipment India Limited (AWEIL) and Munitions India Limited (MIL)] from India and Rosoboronexport (RoE) and Kalashnikov concern of Russia.

As reported by The Hindu earlier, as per contractual terms, the first 70,000 rifles will be produced in India with a phased increase in the extent of localisation from 5% to 70%. The remaining rifles will be produced with 100% localisation. The full-scale production of the Ak-203 rifles is expected to be reached within 2-3 years.

Systematic Manner’

On the ongoing process of indigenisation, the source stated that it was being done in an “extremely systematic manner”. “So, the process will be slow. Even our initial timelines catered for two years for this process of 70% indigenous content,” the source said, adding, “We are aiming to achieve it before that.”

As reported earlier, in the backdrop of repeated delays in concluding the deal, India had procured and inducted 70,000 AK-103 assault rifles off the shelf under a deal signed in August 2021.

For a while, the Army has been looking to replace the indigenous INSAS (Indian National Small Arms System) rifles in use with a modern rifle. The Army has inducted 66,400 of the 72,400 SIG-716 assault rifles procured under a ₹700-crore deal in February 2019 with Sig Sauer of the U.S. which have been provided to frontline troops involved in counter-insurgency operations. The Ak-203 rifles were to meet the larger demand for assault rifles. However, as the deal conclusion got stuck over the issue of pricing, the Army decided to go for a repeat order of another 72,400 SIG-716 rifles.
Thank God finally they started producing the rifles.
I thought this would be a white elephant project because Russi not keeping up his end of the bargain because "muh war saar, pls understand saar"

kaboom

Country flag
I had a foolish question, Why didn't we get the same buttstock on ak203 as Russians.
Coz according to high command them fiber stock are rugged and shit (what a joke )

our poor privates can't have good things .... no adjustable stocks , no optics nothing rifle is fine .

kaboom

Country flag
Coz according to high command them fiber stock are rugged and shit (what a joke )

our poor privates can't have good things .... no adjustable stocks , no optics nothing rifle is fine .
they have brought stock rifles now , a few days later they will wake up and realize they need mods then their will be another round of spending to equip them with stocks and shit and some will be able to earn sweet kickbacks in return .

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
they have brought stock rifles now , a few days later they will wake up and realize they need mods then their will be another round of spending to equip them with stocks and shit and some will be able to earn sweet kickbacks in return .
I can bet in next 2-3 years we will see upgrade kits from sss and tactix and other

kaboom

Country flag
What would they actually mod except some sights it has pic rails it has hand grip,it has a decent butt(I don’t agree with it but still) what’s left to be modded?
Depends how good the p rails are ....(that depends upon the quality control of OFB )
For SF they could/would replace those polymer handguard with full length metal ones to mount LAMs ,they can also replace the stock with an adjustable ones .

Those polymer handguards will get damaged very easily with just a bit of heavy use like the army does

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Depends how good the p rails are ....(that depends upon the quality control of OFB )
For SF they could/would replace those polymer handguard with full length metal ones to mount LAMs ,they can also replace the stock with an adjustable ones .

Those polymer handguards will get damaged very easily with just a bit of heavy use like the army does
Our SF needs Ak204s rather than full length Ak203s .We have amole full length ones but no shorties.Even SFF have bulgarian Krinks (krinks are not ideal ones but carbines of Ak100s are apt ones).
Or just order couple of hundred CZ805s or Galil Ace gen2s in 7.62x39

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
Our SF needs Ak204s rather than full length Ak203s .We have amole full length ones but no shorties.Even SFF have bulgarian Krinks (krinks are not ideal ones but carbines of Ak100s are apt ones).
Or just order couple of hundred CZ805s or Galil Ace gen2s in 7.62x39
Would have been greater if they had gone for the 204s also. 7.62x39 doesnt have that many down sides even when the barrel gets shortened to 13 or 12 inches.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
Then how else will they buy cheap GL-Core crap from FAB to kit them. The OEM forward grip probably made a few people mad already. Also bayonets inclusion shows you how the bigwigs see the grunts. Also bare minimum handguard length cause new grip technics are probably childish to Indian army generals. I bet they at some point tried to issue a separate tender for even the cleaning kits for each rifle. But the factory already includes them inside the pistol grip.
1716534253719.png

No free-floating barrel, no ambi charging, no full length handguard with m-lok, no retractable/telescopic/ adjustable buttstock. This is the bare minimum of a rifle we're paying premium for since 2023. It's almost like bigwigs think the general grunt doesn't deserve anything better than what amounts to a 20+ year old setup with forward grips. And I didn't even rant about the caliber this time.

shade

Country flag
Then how else will they buy cheap GL-Core crap from FAB to kit them. The OEM forward grip probably made a few people mad already. Also bayonets inclusion shows you how the bigwigs see the grunts. Also bare minimum handguard length cause new grip technics are probably childish to Indian army generals. I bet they at some point tried to issue a separate tender for even the cleaning kits for each rifle. But the factory already includes them inside the pistol grip.
View attachment 254480
No free-floating barrel, no ambi charging, no full length handguard with m-lok, no retractable/telescopic/ adjustable buttstock. This is the bare minimum of a rifle we're paying premium for since 2023. It's almost like bigwigs think the general grunt doesn't deserve anything better than what amounts to a 20+ year old setup with forward grips. And I didn't even rant about the caliber this time.
Don't know about the technical details you have mentioned but it seems they do this deliberately so 5 years in the future they open more contracts for either different guns altogether or upgrade kits.

I hate Jernails more that opposition politicians including Kejri and Raul.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles