Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
I hope SSS defence also comes out with a 7.62*51 mm version of their M-72 rifle which are AR patterned.

Also, one thing is not clear. Is GOI shifting its requirement to equip the bulk of IA forces with 7.62*51 mm rifle deployment, from the 7.62*39 mm that AK-203 was going to do?

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag

Is this new 7.62*51 mm rifle showcased by the Ichapore rifle factory, the latest iteration of the one shown in the Sandeep Unithan video of around 6 years ago, which was unveiled around 2017?

This rifle was rejected by the Army over recoil issues.

There was also a video of Gen Y.K. Joshi (retd.) firing this gun with a hip stance position, and commenting "Iska recoil kaafi hain".

Last edited:

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag

Is this new 7.62*51 mm rifle showcased by the Ichapore rifle factory, the latest iteration of the one shown in the Sandeep Unithan video of around 6 years ago, which was unveiled around 2017?

This rifle was rejected by the Army over recoil issues.

There was also a video of Gen Y.K. Joshi (retd.) firing this gun with a hip stance position, and commenting "Iska recoil kaafi hain".

Nope. This is the new gun. The older one looks like an INSAS derivative and the new one more in line with AK with that AK selector.

Twinblade

Country flag
Nope. This is the new gun. The older one looks like an INSAS derivative and the new one more in line with AK with that AK selector.
It is still R2 with AK style selector. Look at the Insas style detachable gas tube with release lever under the hand guard.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
most likely, trying to get some share in the huge pie of 7.62 NATO rifle requirements here; besides the govt already put it in that import restriction list so i'd guess SIG716I would be heavily supplemented by one of these desi rifle in future with rear echelons or paramilitary; those 1A SLRs are already decades old and their barrels and all would have been near wearing out so these newer rifles may also serve as a fair replacement for those ones
I don’t know who else wants anoyhrt set of 7.62x51 weapons as those kinda ones are suited for only LAC and LOC.In all other areas those 7.62 Natos are overkills plus the recoil is a burden.Plus no other CAPF uses SLRs except one or two in a company level for grenade lobbing for which there exists Ubgls.

Decent looking AK in 7.62x51 ? sign me up. And get rid off the Ak203 in the meantime.
Look at the finish of rear sight.Two years into service those are going to get rust

Arjun Mk1A

Country flag
I believe guys in AWIEL are Dr. Frankenstein reincarnate. Never going to copy one single design. Always a combination of multiple designs.

At this rate we may see an AK+INSAS+AR gun also.

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
I don’t know who else wants anoyhrt set of 7.62x51 weapons as those kinda ones are suited for only LAC and LOC.In all other areas those 7.62 Natos are overkills plus the recoil is a burden.Plus no other CAPF uses SLRs except one or two in a company level for grenade lobbing for which there exists Ubgls.

Look at the finish of rear sight.Two years into service those are going to get rust
Maybe polymer sights with tritium inserts, picatinny rail extended all the way back. As for rough finish it's evident everywhere; from the rivets that don't look like a quality job, trigger guard, cut notches, front handguard, etc.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles