Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
I guess everyone has different taste, a golden AK only reminds me of terrorists and drug cartels.
I like the classic AK-47 too, its such an iconic gun, but I wouldn't necessarily always regard AKs with Terrorists, villains and drug cartels, this tendency of always displaying the AK-47 to be used always by the bad guys has been influenced mostly by these western American Films to be Honest. And the good guys always use guns like the FN Scar, the G36C etc (A thing I noticed in these Hollywood films)
26144855386_89fff330b2_b.jpg
scar-seal.jpg

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast

ManhattanProject

Country flag
I like the classic AK-47 too, its such an iconic gun, but I wouldn't necessarily always regard AKs with Terrorists, villains and drug cartels, this tendency of always displaying the AK-47 to be used always by the bad guys has been influenced mostly by these western American Films to be Honest. And the good guys always use guns like the FN Scar, the G36C etc (A thing I noticed in these Hollywood films)
View attachment 131818View attachment 131821
"Golden Ak" i said golden AK, only used by drig cartels and famous for being saddam's favourite gun.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Springfield Arms bringing VHS-2 to the US consumer market, semi-auto only version with some modifications to make it legal there, giving new name, Hellion

View attachment 131796
View attachment 131797

Looks saaxy, oh and full auto military version is just brrrrt

I also particularly like UBGL made for VHS-2, it swings open on side so any length of 40mm grenade can be used with it unlike M203
View attachment 131799

Wish someone would make a ,say, VHS-2 x Tavor-7 mutant gun like bullpup in future...
Someone should do a mud n cold test for this rifle. Should be interesting to watch how much torture this sexy gun is capable of withstanding

another_armchair

Country flag
Both things, honestly,
also, Army things that dictated terms of what they wished in a desi rifle back then
Thanks. That pretty much answers what we have known all along.

A country the size of India with a requirement of less than 1.5 million rifles for its frontline troops, it should've been a no brainer to pick what's available in the market instead of trying to create a mutant on a first attempt, fok it up royally and persist with it instead of dropping it right there and moving to a more reliable platform post Kargil.

The amount of money that was spent on OFB's, ARDE and DRDO in getting this masterpiece to the trooper at the LoC would've ended up equipping the paramilitary too had we taken the import route then. No shame in admitting it - we have sucked at small arms manufacturing.

The private sector continues to disappoint but can't blame them as they would rather play safe and do screwdriveri with a proven platform than start from the drawing board and get rejected by the forces.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Gotta ask IA who won that rifle tender then...Excalibur was the finalist.
Some things must not be asked , it's in interest of everyone
How Sig 716 came into picture , nobody knows ,we certainly don't
Indian army indeed works in mysterious ways.
Of which we again don't know much about

Covfefe

Country flag
I am no small arms expert but looking at the product quality vs the cost of procurement, rifles should have been directly imported from the US/ any other country which could satisfy the Army's needs, like the Sigs. The total AK203 deal after all the years of drama came to 5000 crore which is like 700 million USD. Instead of risking so much(Quality, Schedule) and taking all this headache, a direct contract to a foreign company would have saved a whole lot of trouble. They could focus their energy for indigenisation of big ticket items like Tanks, Arty, SAMs and stuff.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I am no small arms expert but looking at the product quality vs the cost of procurement, rifles should have been directly imported from the US/ any other country which could satisfy the Army's needs, like the Sigs. The total AK203 deal after all the years of drama came to 5000 crore which is like 700 million USD. Instead of risking so much(Quality, Schedule) and taking all this headache, a direct contract to a foreign company would have saved a whole lot of trouble. They could focus their energy for indigenisation of big ticket items like Tanks, Arty, SAMs and stuff.
It would be shamefull to buy completely foreign thing with ak 203 atleast thye are making it here.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles