Seoul to transfer dual purpose N technology to India

Country flag

Islamabad—Under a not so secret agreement signed on Monday between New Delhi and Seoul, South Korean officials have agreed to transfer dual purpose nuclear technology to India, a deal which Japan is reluctant to finalize yet.

The deal signed during Indian President Pratibha Patil's visit to Seoul was termed by South Korean President Lee Myung Bak as "historic" who said it would act as "a milestone, demonstrating that our two countries have now truly become strategic partners".

Indian media reports say India-South Korea agreement carried the least amount of historical nuclear "baggage" as far as India is concerned.

South Korea has now become the ninth country which had signed nuclear agreement with India after New Delhi got the waiver from the Nuclear Suppliers' Group (NSG) in 2008 under American initiative.

After the deal South Korean presidential spokesman Park Jeong-ha said, he anticipates that the two countries could launch negotiations on a reactor construction project in the future.

The nuclear agreement was signed by Dr Srikumar Banerjee, Indian Secretary Department of Atomic Energy and Kim Sung Hwan, Foreign Minister of the Republic of Korea.

Pakistani experts are expressing serious concern over the deal and have warned that India may take undue advantage of transfer of deual-purpose nuclear technology and expand its nuclear military power that can disturb power of balance in the region.

According, a senior Pakistani official "It is surprising that South Korea which claims to be the victim of North Korea's nuclear programme is itself becoming a party to the expansion of nuclear dual purpose technology".

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
So, Pakistan can build 200 nukes a year without disturbing the power-balance in the region, but India can't even use nuclear energy for power generation without affecting the balance of power? What is this, Lahori Logic?

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
South Korea has emerged as a great strategic partners alongside Japan in east Asia. They face a similar threat from another rabid dog of the CCP the North Korean Kims like we do from their southern pets the Pakistanis. It is only best that we start developing strong technological relationship between our two countries and enhance it to military cooperation. South Korean stuff is pretty good in tech. I am sure there will be a lot of ventures where we both can share a lot.

BTW we are legally and globally exempt from NSG laws now and what Koreans are doing now is legal. I don't know what is stopping the Japanese so badly the past guilt or whatever but this is not a very futuristic way of thinking even by Japanese standards. As for Pakistanis, I can see something burning. Let them add a thousand nukes and eat grass as their PM once promised.
:thumb:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
First of all is it a credible source? South Korea is not known as a strategic partner for India, if it was Russia I would have given a second thought, again NSG waiver is not known for transfer of Dual purpose technology to India, even if it is true, I don't think it will be a good idea for India to accept those techs which could result in US trying to access Indian nuclear arsenal with the claim of using dual purpose technology other then peaceful purpose, I would like to know others views too.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
^^We already have an arsenal and have been already slapped with sanctions, there is nothing they can do if we choose to proliferate apart from making their minions stop dealing with us, just like Pakistan, there is no threat of "preventive" measures to stop us from "acquiring" the technology since we already have it. And if U.S can sign a Civil Nuclear Agreement with us, then I don't think it has any room to bar others from doing so.
Btw, we are not Iraq that they could just invade, hell, they couldn't access Iran's nuclear arsenal with all the might in the world.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
According, a senior Pakistani official "It is surprising that South Korea which claims to be the victim of North Korea's nuclear programme is itself becoming a party to the expansion of nuclear dual purpose technology".
Pakistan who has purchased Korean missile and even barter the nukes for missile is saying this..................lol hypocrates.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
This is payback by South Korea for Pakistan proliferating nuclear technology to north korea and as they old saying goes payback is a bitch.
I guess you gave the perfect reason here. There was no other reason how a US-obsessed country would easily agree to such a critical matter without Unkil's nod. :laugh:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Pakistan who has purchased Korean missile and even barter the nukes for missile is saying this..................lol hypocrates.
For South Korea, it's payback time against Pakistan. If they have nuclear weapons they would even give them for free to India...

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
I guess you gave the perfect reason here. There was no other reason how a US-obsessed country would easily agree to such a critical matter without Unkil's nod. :laugh:
I guesss everyone is realising that Unkil's old age would be approaching now. Building new ties and building them strong needs a lot of homework for years. This is just the beginning.

Regards,
Virendra

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Pakistani experts are expressing serious concern over the deal and have warned that India may take undue advantage of transfer of deual-purpose nuclear technology and expand its nuclear military power that can disturb power of balance in the region.
this can be a disturbing long term effect as follows:-

pak asks CCP for free help to get parity with India - they give it .
India move ahead on other nuke developments
Guess what - pak asks ccp again
This iterative process goes on an on until CCP gets tired of Pak and says:-
Look here - you come under our nuke program and we install silos on your land and man them

So then India would have to do likewise in Vietnam or somewhere near china to get a balancing effect
So the day will come where India will have to proliferate ( which China has done ) - but only more responsibly !

Last edited:
Country flag
India has more fissile material than china and pakistan combined. Proliferation can be widespread

Global Defence

New threads

Articles