Saudi-Qatar Rift

Kshatriya87

Country flag
What is this I'm reading? Saudis, Bahrain, UAE & Egypt have severed all ties with Qatar because of terrorism.

Saudi severing ties with Qatar because of terrorism? Surprising.

Something fishy going on here.

Krusty

Country flag
What is this I'm reading? Saudis, Bahrain, UAE & Egypt have severed all ties with Qatar because of terrorism.

Local leader KSA is pissed because Qatar is pulling out of Yemen. Obviously the Sauds don't like it and started whining and pulling diplomatic strings in the name of Sunni Islam. KSA acting in ME the way USA does globally.

pmaitra

Where did you read this? KSA and Qatar are tied to the hips when it comes to Wahhabi terrorism. This is most likely a deliberate disinformation.

captscooby81

Country flag
qatar.jpg

Its all over the news from the morning..This looks extremely funny two Wahabbis are cutting tie s with each other ..not sure whats the drama behind ..

Well Bahrain and Egypt has asked the Qatari diplomats and nationals to leave country in 48 hours .. same vice versa ..Ports and Airports are closed for Qatari vessels and Airlines .. Wow just wondering whats going to happen to Qatar Airways passengers

Where did you read this? KSA and Qatar are tied to the hips when it comes to Wahhabi terrorism. This is most likely a deliberate disinformation.

pmaitra

The row comes two weeks after the same four countries blocked Qatari news sites. Controversial comments by Qatari emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, appearing to criticise Saudi Arabia, appeared online.
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40155829

Ah, so this is probably just an excuse.

Four Arab countries have blocked Qatari news websites following controversial comments attributed to the Qatari emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.
The website of the influential Al Jazeera network is among those now blocked by Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Bahrain.
The disputed statement touched on many sensitive regional issues, but above all, praised Saudi Arabia's arch-rival Iran and carried thinly-veiled criticism of the kingdom.
Source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-40046782

The real reason is something else.

Krusty

Country flag
I'd take that with a grain of salt.
I see ABC news merely has a one liner here. Al Jazeera reported it too. More sites are breaking the news as we speak. If it's misinformation, it's a pretty serious accusation against the Sunni group.

Last edited:

pmaitra

I see ABC news merely has a one liner here. Al Jazeera reported it too. More sites are breaking the news as we speak. If it's misinformation, it's a pretty serious accusation against the Sunni group of infighting.
Yes, that could be it, or maybe, if I may speculate, both Qatar and Saudi Arabia made a lot of investments hoping to oust Assad with their pet-cobra ISIS, and secure a direct land bridge to Europe for their oil pipelines, but Putin put in the stops and thwarted their nasty little plan. So, now, these two countries are bickering as to who is to blame. I am keeping my ears open to see how this pans out.

How about a dedicated thread on this?

captscooby81

Country flag
Well i see this as the latest move after trump calling the OIC for fighting terrorism . So saudi and others want to make a scapegoat of Qatar as the real sponsor of state sponsored terrorist around the muslim world and want to take moral high ground hiding their Wahhabi ideology under the carpet as it spreads slowly like a cancer around the world ..

Yes make a new thread this is going to be some interesting topic for the next few weeks

Yes, that could be it, or maybe, if I may speculate, both Qatar and Saudi Arabia made a lot of investments hoping to oust Assad with their pet-cobra ISIS, and secure a direct land bridge to Europe for their oil pipelines, but Putin put in the stops and thwarted their nasty little plan. So, now, these two countries are bickering as to who is to blame. I am keeping my ears open to see how this pans out.

How about a dedicated thread on this?

Krusty

Country flag
It would be one hell of a comedy if this turns out to be deliberate misinformation. There are no accidental 'misinformation' at this level of diplomacy.

I wonder who stands to gain what by this if it indeed turns out to be a lie. Also, the 'liar' is playing a game of extremely high stakes.

lcafanboy

Country flag

Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and UAE cut diplomatic ties with Qatar

DUBAI: Four Arab nations cut diplomatic ties with Qatar early Monday morning, furtherSaudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates all announced they would withdraw their diplomatic staff from Qatar , a gas-rich nation that will host the 2022 FIFA World Cup. Saudi Arabia said Qatari troops would be pulled from its ongoing war in Yemen.

All the nations also said they planned to cut air and sea traffic to the peninsular country. It wasn't immediately clear how that would affect Qatar Airways, one of the region's major long-haul carriers.

The decision comes after Qatar alleged in late May that hackers took over the site of its state-run news agency and published what it called fake comments from its ruling emir about Iran and Israel. Its Gulf Arab neighbors responded with anger, blocking Qatari-based media, including the Doha-based satellite news network Al-Jazeera.

The official Saudi state news agency said Saudi Arabia had decided to sever diplomatic and consular relations with Qatar "proceeding from the exercise of its sovereign right guaranteed by international law and the protection of national security from the dangers of terrorism and extremism".

Saudi Arabia cut all land air and sea contacts with Qatar "and urges all brotherly countries and companies to do the same."

Bahrain's foreign affairs ministry issued a statement early Monday saying it would withdraw its diplomatic mission from the Qatari capital of Doha within 48 hours and that all Qatari diplomats should leave Bahrain within the same period.

The ministry's statement said Qatari citizens needed to leave Bahrain within two weeks and that air and sea traffic between the two countries would be halted. It wasn't immediately clear how that would affect Qatar Airways, one of the region's major long-haul carriers.

Bahrain blamed Qatar's "media incitement, support for armed terrorist activities and funding linked to Iranian groups to carry out sabotage and spreading chaos in Bahrain" for its decision.

The United Arab Emirates cut ties with Qatar, state news agency WAM reported, accusing its Gulf Arab neighbour of supporting extremism and undermining regional stability.

The Emirates cut ties and gave diplomats 48 hours to leave the country, citing their "support, funding and embrace of terrorist, extremist and sectarian organisations", WAM said.

Egypt said on Monday it cut ties with Qatar, accusing the Gulf Arab state of supporting "terrorist" organisations including the Muslim Brotherhood, Egypt's state news agency reported.

http://m.timesofindia.com/world/mid...atic-ties-with-qatar/articleshow/58994336.cms

Kshatriya87

Country flag
That's what I thought. But its all over the news. Not only this, Saudis are also pulling out all diplomats from Qatar within 48 hours.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
View attachment 16465

Its all over the news from the morning..This looks extremely funny two Wahabbis are cutting tie s with each other ..not sure whats the drama behind ..

Well Bahrain and Egypt has asked the Qatari diplomats and nationals to leave country in 48 hours .. same vice versa ..Ports and Airports are closed for Qatari vessels and Airlines .. Wow just wondering whats going to happen to Qatar Airways passengers
Saudis even went on to say that Qatar backs Al-Qaeda and ISIS. That's a hell of a punch from a fellow terrorism sympathizer.

Flame Thrower

I think Qatar is the Scape goat used to pull all the above countries out of economic problems.

It been close to 3 yrs to low oil cost, everyone has spent their money. They just needed an excuse to attack someone. Qatar gave them what they want.

This probably is a scare tactics to get Qatar in line and to make economically viable deals with Qatar

Let's see how Qatar responds.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Well i see this as the latest move after trump calling the OIC for fighting terrorism . So saudi and others want to make a scapegoat of Qatar as the real sponsor of state sponsored terrorist around the muslim world and want to take moral high ground hiding their Wahhabi ideology under the carpet as it spreads slowly like a cancer around the world ..

Yes make a new thread this is going to be some interesting topic for the next few weeks
Surely Qatar must have some proof that Saudis back terrorism too. This SA plan might just back fire big time.

Flame Thrower

Surely Qatar must have some proof that Saudis back terrorism too. This SA plan might just back fire big time.
If they had, they would have made public by now. I think Qatar failed in hacking attempt. For the time being, Qatar looks like it is about to be barbecued by SA. Anyways let's wait for Qatar response.

pmaitra

Isn't one of those oil sheikhdoms a protectorate of India? Which one is it? Qatar or Oman?

pmaitra

Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE, & Bahrain Cut Diplomatic Ties, Shut All Borders With Qatar

by Tyler Durden | [SOURCE]

Just days after president Trump left the region, a geopolitical earthquake is taking place in the Middle East tonight as the rift between Qatar and other members of the (likely extinct) Gulf Cooperation Council explodes with Bahrain, UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Egypt cutting all diplomatic ties with Qatar accusing it of “spreading chaos,” by funding terrorism and supporting Iran.

The dispute between Qatar and the Gulf’s Arab countries started over a purported hack of Qatar’s state-run news agency. It has spiraled since, and appears to be climaxing now... just days after President Trump left the region.

As Al Arabiya reports, Bahrain has announced it is cutting diplomatic ties with Qatar, according to a statement carried on Bahrain News Agency.

The statement on Monday morning said Bahrain decided to sever ties with its neighbor “on the insistence of the State of Qatar to continue destabilizing the security and stability of the Kingdom of Bahrain and to intervene in its affairs.

The statement also said Qatar’s incitement of the media and supporting of terrorist activities and financing groups linked to Iran were reasons behind the decision.

“(Qatar has) spread chaos in Bahrain in flagrant violation of all agreements and covenants and principles of international law Without regard to values, law or morals or consideration of the principles of good neighborliness or commitment to the constants of Gulf relations and the denial of all previous commitments,” the statement read.

Qatari citizens have 14 days to leave Bahraini territories while Qatari diplomats were given 48 hours to leave the country after being expelled. Meanwhile, Bahrain has also banned all of its citizens from visiting or residing in Qatar after the severance of ties.

Additionally, Bahrain has has closed both air and sea borders with Qatar.

Saudi Arabia then confirmed the same - cutting ties and shutting down all sea, airspace, and land crossings with Qatar as well as dissolving Qatar’s role in the Saudi-led coalition fighting against Yemen. Emirates, Etihad, Saudia, Gulf Air, and Egypt Air are no longer allowed to fly to Qatar and Saudi Arabia is providing facilities, services to Qatari pilgrims

Egypt then followed, confirming it was cutting diplomatic ties with

Then UAE confirmed it would cut ties, shut down all sky, water, and land crossings, and expel all Qataris within 48 hours.

The Maldives also just cut diplomatic ties with Qatar.

All of this happens within 24 hours of Iran calling out ‘The West’ for ignoring the real sponsors of terrorism around the world and UK’s Labor party leader outright name-shaming Saudi Arabia’s funding of terrorism.

Qatari officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

As a reminder, documents obtained by Middle East Eye show strategic alliance includes pledge by Ankara to protect Gulf state from external threats...

In December 2015, Turkey announced, to the surprise of many, that it planned to establish a military base in Qatar. Behind the scenes, the agreement was about forming a major strategic alliance.

After a 100-year hiatus, Turkey is militarily back in the Gulf and ramping up its presence overseas. In January, Ankara announced that it would also establish a military base in Somalia.

Specific details about the Qatar agreement, which Turkey described as an alliance in the face of “common enemies,” remain scant, but Middle East Eye has acquired copies of the agreements, as well as further details, which include a secret pledge by Ankara to protect Qatar from external threats.

Did Qatar just get scapegoated in the ‘war on terror?’ One thing seems clear, support for a Syrian gas pipeline will be dwindling and with it the need for a Syrian war.

Notably, this raises further doubts about OPEC’s stability. As Bloomberg notes, while Middle East ructions have historically added risk premia to oil prices, discord here could theoretically put downward pressure on prices as OPEC members struggle to maintain unity and compliance on production cuts.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles