Russian involvement in Syrian crisis

captscooby81

Country flag
Sir I think we should be more worried than Pakis as neither we have the S-300 to shoot down their F-16s and the paki s will surely get the Chinese version of S-300 and the Chinese will deploy S-400 against us in the noethern and eastern borders . . Time we put our heart and soul and get the S-400 from Russians ASAP

looks like Russia's S-300's are neutralizing Israeli air power?? same fate awaits Paki f-16's.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Shot down from S-125

Tactical Frog

Country flag
looks like Russia's S-300's are neutralizing Israeli air power?? same fate awaits Paki f-16's.
What ? One F-16 down is not enough to neutralize Israeli air power. The Israelis won’t let Iran build a strong military infrastructure in Syria . They are ready to lose more than one F-16.

Country flag
What ? One F-16 down is not enough to neutralize Israeli air power. The Israelis won’t let Iran build a strong military infrastructure in Syria . They are ready to lose more than one F-16.
@Tactical Frog

This is the second F-16 shot down one was in the beginning of the war. I think they must be using Harpy??
This definetly will not neutralize israeli air power completely. But Israelis have had it easy against Arabs
who had no defenses and freely bombed them to smithereens. Iranians and Russian and Syrians will be too much
for Israelis. I think US will have to get more actively involved. Turkey is also a big unknown?

Country flag
Some debris of SA-6 missile system also fell in Jordan today. Report of second pilot may have succumb to injuries sustained from being shot down.
Interesting India has based AKASH of SA-6; SA-6 is a pretty old system suprised Syrians still using it.
India has retired most of the old SA-6's.

Country flag
Sir I think we should be more worried than Pakis as neither we have the S-300 to shoot down their F-16s and the paki s will surely get the Chinese version of S-300 and the Chinese will deploy S-400 against us in the noethern and eastern borders . . Time we put our heart and soul and get the S-400 from Russians ASAP
India does not have S-300?? This is news to me. Pakistan has Chinese version of S-300??
also news to me. Chinese S-300 will be equivalent to Russian version really??
Chinese have hundreds of IRBM's pointed at Delhi from Tibet for the last 30 years it is good we are acting upon this 30
years later. why do we want S-400 if Chinese have it?? Do you think Indian and Chinese s-300/s-400
are the same??

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Today/Contemporary/328-BMD.html

https://indraidu.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/does-india-really-have-s-300-sam-system/

Does India Really Have S-300 SAM system?

Last edited:

IBRIS

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
India does not have S-300?? This is news to me. Pakistan has Chinese version of S-300??
also news to me. Chinese S-300 will be equivalent to Russian version really??
Chinese have 600 IRBM's pointed at Delhi from Tibet for the last 30 years it is good we are acting upon this 30
years later. why do we want S-400 if Chinese have it?? Do you think Indian and Chinese s-300/s-400
are the same??

http://www.bharat-rakshak.com/IAF/Today/Contemporary/328-BMD.html

https://indraidu.wordpress.com/2016/02/14/does-india-really-have-s-300-sam-system/

Does India Really Have S-300 SAM system?
I have personally seen a battery of S-300 scattered around in Jalalabad Punjab about 13 years ago when I was traveling to India. Pretty good security they had I couldn't get close got spotted and told to leave.

Country flag
I have personally seen a battery of S-300 scattered around in Jalalabad Punjab about 13 years ago when I was traveling to India. Pretty good security they had I couldn't get close got spotted and told to leave.
Years ago a member sent me pictures he took of S-300 going down a highway in the big Indian city he lived
in. I will not mention which city.

Tactical Frog

Country flag
@Tactical Frog

This is the second F-16 shot down one was in the beginning of the war. I think they must be using Harpy??
This definetly will not neutralize israeli air power completely. But Israelis have had it easy against Arabs
who had no defenses and freely bombed them to smithereens. Iranians and Russian and Syrians will be too much
for Israelis. I think US will have to get more actively involved. Turkey is also a big unknown?
Hmm, Israelis say this is the first plane they lose to ennemy fire . Nobody can show another wreck.

Arabs had no air defences ?? Not sure which war you are talking about.

Yes, Russian direct intervention limits what Israel can do. Israelis have to be careful not killing any Russian personnel on the ground. But worse that could happen would be an incident between a Russian jet and an Israeli jet. Consequences would be unpredictible.

Turkey seems to be more busy with securing its own buffer zone than anything else. They never seemed concerned with Iran.

US are trying not getting burnt. For how long ! ?

Situation in Syria has never been so dangerous.

Interesting note : since Israeli last strikes, regime bombings stopped over Eastern Gouta (Damascus). The Syrians don’t want to send planes in the air when Israelis are certainly seeking revenge for the downed F-16.

Country flag
Hmm, Israelis say this is the first plane they lose to ennemy fire . Nobody can show another wreck.

Arabs had no air defences ?? Not sure which war you are talking about.

Yes, Russian direct intervention limits what Israel can do. Israelis have to be careful not killing any Russian personnel on the ground. But worse that could happen would be an incident between a Russian jet and an Israeli jet. Consequences would be unpredictible.

Turkey seems to be more busy with securing its own buffer zone than anything else. They never seemed concerned with Iran.

US are trying not getting burnt. For how long ! ?

Situation in Syria has never been so dangerous.

Interesting note : since Israeli last strikes, regime bombings stopped over Eastern Gouta (Damascus). The Syrians don’t want to send planes in the air when Israelis are certainly seeking revenge for the downed F-16.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...plane-f-16-bomber-and-helicopters/5471009/amp

From 2 years ago

Egypt had decent air defense .
Egyptians had sa-6 and sa-7 Which brought down a significant number of israeli planes in Yom Kippur war.I don't think other Arab nations did as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tactical Frog

Country flag
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.gl...plane-f-16-bomber-and-helicopters/5471009/amp

From 2 years ago

Egypt had decent air defense .
Egyptians had sa-6 and sa-7 Which brought down a significant number of israeli planes in Yom Kippur war.I don't think other Arab nations did as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes . Egyptians downed a significant number of Israeli jets during Yom Kippour. One of the reasons they claim Yom Kippur war was a victorious one.

IDF report about the latest incidents :

https://www.idf.il/en/minisites/israeli-air-force/air-force-strikes-iranian-targets-in-syria/

8EF67B7D-36AB-4266-AB90-D0BDC1AA14E1.jpeg

Tactical Frog

Country flag
French President Emmanuel Macron says he's concerned about signs that chlorine gas may have been used multiple times against Syrian civilians in recent weeks.

Macron's office said in a statement that he expressed his concerns in a phone call Friday with Russian President Vladimir Putin. The statement didn't indicate who Macron thinks is responsible, but Macron said France is determined to hold anyone who uses chemical weapons accountable.

A U.N.-mandated investigation team is probing reports that bombs allegedly containing weaponized chlorine were used on two recent occasions in Syria.

Macron asked Putin to "do everything" so that Syria's government stops "intolerable degradation of the humanitarian situation" in Eastern Ghouta and Idlib province.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/latest-turkey-detain-pol-opposing-offensive-52956173

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
U.S. Strikes Killed Scores of Russian Fighters in Syria, Sources Say

U.S. forces killed scores of Russian contract soldiers in Syria last week in what may be the deadliest clash between citizens of the former foes since the Cold War, according to a U.S. official and three Russians familiar with the matter.

More than 200 mercenaries, mostly Russians fighting on behalf of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad, died in a failed attack on a base and refinery held by U.S. and U.S.-backed forces in the oil-rich Deir Ezzor region, two of the Russians said. The U.S. official put the death toll at about 100, with 200 to 300 injured.

The Russian assault may have been a rogue operation, underscoring the complexity of a conflict that started as a domestic crackdown only to morph into a proxy war involving Islamic extremists, stateless Kurds and regional powers Iran, Turkey and now Israel.
Russia’s military said it had nothing to do with the attack and the U.S. military accepted the claim. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis called the whole thing “perplexing,” but provided no further details.

“Coalition officials were in regular communication with Russian counterparts before, during and after the thwarted, unprovoked attack,” U.S. Colonel Thomas F. Veale, a military spokesman, said in a statement. “Russian officials assured coalition officials they would not engage coalition forces in the vicinity.”

The offensive began about 8 kilometers (5 miles) east of the Euphrates River de-confliction line late on Feb. 7, when adversaries fired rounds and advanced in a “battalion-sized dismounted formation supported by artillery, tanks, multiple-launch rocket systems and mortars,” Veale said. No fatalities were reported on the coalition side and “enemy vehicles and personnel who turned around and headed back west were not targeted.”

‘Barbaric Aggression’

The government in Damascus called the U.S. action “barbaric aggression” and a “war crime.”

The death toll from the incident, already about five times more than Russia’s official losses since it entered the war in 2015, is still rising, according to one mercenary commander. He said by phone on condition of anonymity that dozens of his wounded men are still being treated at military hospitals in St. Petersburg and Moscow.

Many of the Russians killed or injured were veterans of the Ukraine conflict, according to Alexander Ionov, the head of a Kremlin-funded organization that fosters ties to separatists who’s fought alongside pro-Assad forces in Syria. It’s not clear who was paying the soldiers of fortune, whether it was Russia directly, its allies in the war, Syria and Iran, or a third party.

Reports in local media have said that
Wagner -- a shadowy organization often referred to as Russia’s answer to Blackwater, the U.S. military company now called Academi -- was hired by Assad or his allies to guard Syrian energy facilities in exchange for oil concessions.

There’s a refinery in Deir Ezzor that once funded Islamic State operations that’s now “crucial” to Assad’s plans to finance the reconstruction of Syria once a peace deal is finally reached, according to Yury Barmin, a Middle East analyst at the Russian International Affairs Council in Moscow.

‘Big Scandal’

Russia’s Defense Ministry seemed to refer to the refinery in its statement about the attack, accusing the U.S. of using its “illegal presence” in Syria as an excuse to “seize economic assets” instead of fighting terrorists.

Vladimir Frolov, a former Russian diplomat and lawmaker who’s now an independent political analyst in Moscow, said the clash marked the first such armed exchange between the two powers since the Vietnam War.

This is a big scandal and a reason for an acute international crisis,” Frolov said. “But Russia will pretend nothing happened.”

President Vladimir Putin’s spokesman, Dmitry Peskov, declined to comment on reports that Russian nationals were killed in Syria, saying the Kremlin only tracks data on the country’s armed forces.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-13/gop-silence-on-deficits-under-trump-marks-turnabout-for-party

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
A video clip footage of that defensive airstrikes showing an AC-130 on the attack and actual impacts on the ground can be seen from this TV report:

tharikiran

Country flag
What the independent sources are saying-half of Assad's air defence systems taken down. 25-30 surface to air missiles launched to down one Israeli F-16. There were issues with the flight path taken by the F-16. Looks like it was flying at high altitude, trying to see/confirm the results of the air strikes..Even though they are very experienced operators(Pilot and WSO). De-brief will let us know what went wrong.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
What the independent sources are saying-half of Assad's air defence systems taken down. 25-30 surface to air missiles launched to down one Israeli F-16. There were issues with the flight path taken by the F-16. Even though they are very experienced operators(Pilot and WSO). De-brief will let us know what went wrong.

Syrian air defense is already networked with Russian air defense system in Syria.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The latest estimate of Russians killed is more or less 200 based on Russian sources. This would imply that the Pro-Assad maneuver was a significant attempt to prove the SDF line. It would also mean to say that the Russians are trying to duplicate its strategy in Ukraine to Syria using troops that Russia can easily disavow.

More footage of the airstrikes are emerging, including this one showing a hit on a Syrian T-72 (after it fired its main gun) and artillery (while firing):

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
What the independent sources are saying-half of Assad's air defence systems taken down. 25-30 surface to air missiles launched to down one Israeli F-16. There were issues with the flight path taken by the F-16. Looks like it was flying at high altitude, trying to see/confirm the results of the air strikes..Even though they are very experienced operators(Pilot and WSO). De-brief will let us know what went wrong.
I don't know how they could wipe out half of Syrian air defences when only 4 of the targets were Syrian. It was more like a dozen SAMs that shot down an F-16 and damaged an F-15.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles