Russian involvement in Syrian crisis

Cadian

I respect your religion and your spiritual searching, but it is a little bit thick to bring the church here. Russian orthodox church supported Putin´s well prepared crusade against "nazis" in Ukraine just like German church supported Hitler´s Reich or Finnish church supported our crusade in Russian Karelia at ´41. All hypocrites.

Russian Orthodox church is playing a dangerous game here....they have already lost 40 million Ukrainians and no sugarcoating is gonna reverse that.
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate is the largest religion in Ukraine, I don't remember it has changed.

"Already lost 40 million Ukrainians" is entirely your fantasy for two reasons:
1) In post-Soviet countries the share of active parishioners is no more than 3-5% of total population. Kinda 10-15% visits a Church from time to time. All the rest usually have very poor picture of what the Church actually IS. Ukraine is not different.
2) A Christian does not change a Church for political reasons, or it's something wrong with his Faith.

apple

Russian search and rescue team in Latakia
Best of luck for those boys, they've got an important job. Is that helicopter one of those Mi8/ million year old transport helicopters? Good bit of kit for its role.

But, if they're going to be going somewhere "hot" i.e. to pick up a pilot who's been shot down, you wouldn't want to be in a big, slow cargo helicopter. Helicopters were the Soviet army's thing. Presume they would have had enough combat experience with them back in Afghanistan to know how to use them properly.

Cadian

Best of luck for those boys, they've got an important job. Is that helicopter one of those Mi8/ million year old transport helicopters? Good bit of kit for its role.

But, if they're going to be going somewhere "hot" i.e. to pick up a pilot who's been shot down, you wouldn't want to be in a big, slow cargo helicopter. Helicopters were the Soviet army's thing. Presume they would have had enough combat experience with them back in Afghanistan to know how to use them properly.
This is not a "million year old helicopter", it's a new model with index Mi-8AMTSh (Ми-8АМТШ).
http://www.military-today.com/helicopters/mi8_amtsh.htm

jouni

Small part of me wishes well to those Russians in Syria. Their country has been so F''ked up for the past 25 years that now they have change to feel proud of themselves on an international theatre. Of course they are just trying to get the price of oil up, but you cannot blame Putin for abandoning old allies, he sticks by Assad. Even if I disagree 90% of what they do, I also respect some of their efforts.

apple

Small part of me wishes well to those Russians in Syria.
They're soldiers, following orders and going off to kill Muslim extremists, what's not to like?

Russia's an international irrelevance, Putin's a nobody and whatever interpretation evil little trolls in the internet make of events, shouldn't change your opinion of those brave boys in the photo you posted.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
They're soldiers, following orders and going off to kill Muslim extremists, what's not to like?

Russia's an international irrelevance, Putin's a nobody and whatever interpretation evil little trolls in the internet make of events, shouldn't change your opinion of those brave boys in the photo you posted.
@apple who is in the you diplay pic?

jouni

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Moscow Patriarchate is the largest religion in Ukraine, I don't remember it has changed.

"Already lost 40 million Ukrainians" is entirely your fantasy for two reasons:
1) In post-Soviet countries the share of active parishioners is no more than 3-5% of total population. Kinda 10-15% visits a Church from time to time. All the rest usually have very poor picture of what the Church actually IS. Ukraine is not different.
2) A Christian does not change a Church for political reasons, or it's something wrong with his Faith.
1. Russia claims to defend Christian values which have been rejected by the West [10]. The claim is of course questionable, but that Russia puts it. The difference is emphasized by the fact that in the West the church and religion is strictly separated from political power. Russia Church is willing tool of political power usage. An illustrative example of this is. the fact that the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, received in 2011 the apartment of the Kremlin for promoting a prominent Putin's re-election campaign, and after describing Putin "sent by God's miracle". Kirill currently sits on the Russian government.

gadeshi

1. Russia claims to defend Christian values which have been rejected by the West [10]. The claim is of course questionable, but that Russia puts it. The difference is emphasized by the fact that in the West the church and religion is strictly separated from political power. Russia Church is willing tool of political power usage. An illustrative example of this is. the fact that the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church, Patriarch Kirill, received in 2011 the apartment of the Kremlin for promoting a prominent Putin's re-election campaign, and after describing Putin "sent by God's miracle". Kirill currently sits on the Russian government.
It's very silly and not seriouse point of view.

Cadian

Says a man from a country, that officially has two STATE Churches with special status and privileges.

apple

This is great article about the strategy of Russia, too long to translate, but those who understand old cultural languages can read it... ;)

http://uusimaanpuolustus.blogspot.fi/2015/10/taistelu-demokratiasta.html

Particularly liked the phrase "Näkemysten kirjo on itse asiassa niin laaja, että asiantuntijuus on kärsinyt inflaation." (Asiantuntijuus is a misspelling, right?)

To translate, and provide partial context, the article is saying (to paraphrase) that the media is full of people who have "expertise" on and understanding of Russia... reminds me of a certain website

Says a man from a country, that officially has two STATE Churches with special status and privileges.
One of which is Orthodox...

Cadian

Particularly liked the phrase "Näkemysten kirjo on itse asiassa niin laaja, että asiantuntijuus on kärsinyt inflaation." (Asiantuntijuus is a misspelling, right?)

To translate, and provide partial context, the article is saying (to paraphrase) that the media is full of people who have "expertise" on and understanding of Russia... reminds me of a certain website

Which is actually better protected in legal sense and has more privileges than the one in Russia. What an Irony.

jouni

Yeah, but they do not get apartments from Niinistö after calling him "sent by god"...

apple

Yeah, but they do not get apartments from Niinistö after calling him "sent by god"...
But they do receive federal tax money in contradiction of Jesus's teaching of rendering unto Caesar in Mark 12:17

Cadian

I'll tell you a thing - in Christianity any ruler can be described as "sent by God", according to the Divine Providence.

Patriarch Kirill received a privilege to use a cabinet in Kremlin on his 65-th birthday from D. Medvedev. But your interpretations are very interesting, keep it this way.

Cadian

But they do receive federal tax money in contradiction of Jesus's teaching of rendering unto Caesar in Mark 12:17
Just interesting, have you read any of four Gospels completely?

Cadian

Well yeah, many times. Old Testament, I'm not so familiar with. But, the Gospels sure.
I just want to say that Orthodox Church in Russia receives nothing from Federal budget. But has some important privileges (as well, as other religions) - it does not pay an income tax and property tax. But it pays all others, including taxes to pension for it's employees.

The head of Russian Orthodox Church has some privileges granted by president, like Federal Security Service guards and an office in Kremlin.

That's all I can say.

jouni

The article basically explains how Russia and West are like oil and water
I just want to say that Orthodox Church in Russia receives nothing from Federal budget. But has some important privileges (as well, as other religions) - it does not pay an income tax and property tax. But it pays all others, including taxes to pension for it's employees.

The head of Russian Orthodox Church has some privileges granted by president, like Federal Security Service guards and an office in Kremlin.

That's all I can say.
Finnish Orthodox church belongs to the ecumenical patriarchal of Constantinople. That is interesting, one example of the "thousand years" cultural border between our two countries.

Cadian

The article basically explains how Russia and West are like oil and water

Finnish Orthodox church belongs to the ecumenical patriarchal of Constantinople. That is interesting, one example of the "thousand years" cultural border between our two countries.
What "border"? Constantinople and Moscow patriarchates are in canonical communion, which means there are no religious differences. Maybe you have been confused by the world "ecumenical", but this is just a historical name of the most ancient Orthodox patriarchate.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Local Ukro-patriots, who have printed it, do not know the rules of Russian language.

3 grammar mistakes:
1) Получешь - should be получИшь;
2) Учасник - should be учасТник;
3) Нелегальний - should be НелегальнЫй (it's written in Ukrainian manner).

1 funny thing:
Ukro-punishers are called "our orthodox brothers". Lol.
We also laug hedwith this grammar.
Мы ж тут все дебилы. Только умеем, что сало жрать и письмо турецкому султану писать.
I can argue with you, who better than the two of us, knew Pushkin and Lermontov by heart.
These leaflets, actually appeared in Donetsk.This, for example, photographed well Kouprina street.

New threads

Articles