RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

Zebra

Country flag
But Juan Carlos class is about 26,000 tonnes ship.

And they are looking for about 40,000 tonnes, I am afraid.

Gessler

Country flag

All LHD/LPH competitors are within 25-30k tons. Including Juan Carlos, Mistral, Fincantieri design and Dokdo.

The 40,000+ ton requirement is for Fleet Support Ships I believe. Like the DCNS Brave-class.

Zebra

Country flag
All LHD/LPH competitors are within 25-30k tons. Including Juan Carlos, Mistral, Fincantieri design and Dokdo.

The 40,000+ ton requirement is for Fleet Support Ships I believe. Like the DCNS Brave-class.
Brave class is also about 30,000 tons ship.

They might go for US design and it could be LHD. Who knows.

Last edited:

kstriya

Country flag

Our first carrier INS Vikrant was approximately 26k tons and also INS Viraat. Currently IAC 1 displacement is less than INS vikramaditya but has more capacity for aircrafts, its clever engineering and that is what we need in our future LHD.

Zebra

Country flag
Our first carrier INS Vikrant was approximately 26k tons and also INS Viraat. Currently IAC 1 displacement is less than INS vikramaditya but has more capacity for aircrafts, its clever engineering and that is what we need in our future LHD.
....The Indian Navy plans to build and induct four Landing Helicopter Docks (LHD) as multirole vessels. These ships would have a length between 200 meters and 230 meters and a gross tonnage of 40,000 tons.....

Sir, this is from your own post #455 .

kstriya

Country flag
....The Indian Navy plans to build and induct four Landing Helicopter Docks (LHD) as multirole vessels. These ships would have a length between 200 meters and 230 meters and a gross tonnage of 40,000 tons.....

Sir, this is from your own post #455 .
Sir, the context of my earlier post was to argue on the feasibility for a vessel to be a LHD and a mini carrier too with a squadron of fighter aircraft. With the Indian navy plan to induct a 40k ton class LHD, its a very large real estate and can be used as a small carrier without disturbing its primary role of landing troops for shore based operations with additional air cover to sanitize the landing area or provide protection from enemy ships or CBG.

Zebra

Country flag
Sir, the context of my earlier post was to argue on the feasibility for a vessel to be a LHD and a mini carrier too with a squadron of fighter aircraft. With the Indian navy plan to induct a 40k ton class LHD, its a very large real estate and can be used as a small carrier without disturbing its primary role of landing troops for shore based operations with additional air cover to sanitize the landing area or provide protection from enemy ships or CBG.
In short, it has to be a multirole vessel.

That it what they are looking for and its already there in your article , post #455.

kstriya

Country flag
In short, it has to be a multirole vessel.

That it what they are looking for and its already there in your article , post #455.
Sir, that article is not written by me. I am just using it as a reference to my put forth views.

MKM

Country flag
The Juan Carlos might have a ski ramp but they don't have arrestor gear and fitting them onto a ship is not a simple task but would require MASSIVE re-design work and would take up a lot of internal space thereby deminishing the ship's load carrying capacity. It might not even be possible.
Also ships are already too expensive, just look at Canberra class & budget is 2.6 billion for 4 ships almost equal to by Canberra class today.
Don't you all guys think it's funny when Navy asks for an LHD and everyone wants to give them a STOVL/STOBAR carrier instead ? :rofl:
It looks people forget carrier can't operate alone they need ships for making battlegroups.
IN currently have capacity to form 2 CBGs & I think these LHDs also may be part of CBG in future.
Sir, please check post #134 and #141 of this thread. Unfortunately that beautiful video in post #134 is unavailable now.

And if they can accommodate NLCA on it, than it is the best.
Isn't NLCA an STOBAR aircraft?
Also, if these ships used max payload of aircraft decreases & carrier need too many frigates to form CBG.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
F-35 B is a jump jet.......!

Its a STOVL aircraft.

Jump jets are V/STOL aircrafts.

Correct me.
F 35 B is a VTOL aircraft, can vertically climb or use very shot runway for Take off, But Vertically Lands, that's why some+me calls as Jump jets.

Others like MiG 29K and NLCA called as STOBAR, they need short runway and need barriers for landing

and I know you already know that

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Brave class is also about 30,000 tons ship.

They might go for US design and it could be LHD. Who knows.
L&T led Juan Carlos and Pipavav aka Reliance defense led Mistral is front runnin, No others will be selected due to many reasons

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Enough of those wet dreams. Navy is not going to operate those LHD's with any fixed wing aircraft's. Only with rotary wings

Zebra

Country flag
F 35 B is a VTOL aircraft, can vertically climb or use very shot runway for Take off, But Vertically Lands, that's why some+me calls as Jump jets.

Others like MiG 29K and NLCA called as STOBAR, they need short runway and need barriers for landing

and I know you already know that

Sir, check the same video again @ 0:18, STOVL is written on it.

And there are reasons for it.

It can perform VTOL, but there are limitations / restrictions in it.

That's why it become STOVL aircraft , as they them self written it on the test plane also.

And I hope this will do.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
Isn't NLCA an STOBAR aircraft?
Also, if these ships used max payload of aircraft decreases & carrier need too many frigates to form CBG.
Sir, Navy ships do keep couple of helicopters with it.

Now can I call them LHD, just bcz they also has helicopters.....!

The answer is --> no. I can't.

The similar way if a LHD keeps few aircrafts (say very limited number) with it then it doesn't become aircraft carrier.

Now from where you bring carriers and CBG in it....?

Fix wing aircrafts also has its own pros and cons, but it helps in mission too and that is fact.

Zebra

Country flag
Enough of those wet dreams. Navy is not going to operate those LHD's with any fixed wing aircraft's. Only with rotary wings
Sir, please provide any article / news report for your claim.

salute

maybe they able to increase the tonnage of the ship,

a newer design based on juan carlos or mistral.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles