Prahaar Short Range Tactical Missile System

Abhijat

Country flag
We do have a member from Indian Army named @Bhadra who said the same, If we used the Prahaar TBM, Paki thinks its a tactical nuke and counter with Nuke missiles
But,

Former Foreign Secretary Shyam Saran, had expressed similar sentiments in his speech: " The label on a nuclear weapon used for attacking India, strategic or tactical, is irrelevant from the Indian perspective. A limited nuclear war is a contradiction in terms. Any nuclear exchange, once initiated, would swiftly and inexorably escalate to the strategic level. Pakistan would be prudent not to assume otherwise as it sometimes appears to do, most recently, by developing, and, perhaps, deploying theatre nuclear weapon."

Source:http://www.claws.in/images/publication_pdf/2040774266_IB-74-NKBhatia10-03-16.pdf

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Russian Tochka demonstrated the devastating and precision strike capabilities in Yemen against Saudi coalition not once but thrice.

US has similar MGM 140. Russia's LUNA and Tochka. Pakis modified Chinese Weshi Rocket and renamed it as NASR

Prahar falls in same category. We are among very few nations which develop such Tactical Ballistic Missiles that too in short time.

Essentially an ability to wipe out Paki offensive capabilities within Minutes.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Russian Tochka demonstrated the devastating and precision strike capabilities in Yemen against Saudi coalition not once but thrice.

US has similar MGM 140. Russia's LUNA and Tochka. Pakis modified Chinese Weshi Rocket and renamed it as NASR

Prahar falls in same category. We are among very few nations which develop such Tactical Ballistic Missiles that too in short time.

Essentially an ability to wipe out Paki offensive capabilities within Minutes.
Almost all the Tochka or scud models were intercepted successfully by the Sadui PAC 3....

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
But Indian Army seems to be actively ignoring Prahaar as it is an indigenous product. If we set up factory in China and export Prahaar from China to India then Army might buy it.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Firstly Tochka is superior to older Scuds and if Tochka could do this to US equipped Arab coalition than imagine what would superior Prahar do with Pakis and PLA.

Prahar is superior than Tochka and generation ahead than SCUD

http://www.janes.com/article/56688/...-hit-by-second-tochka-missile-attack-in-yemen
Hope silently we mass produce Prahaar and equip to our strike corps to overwhelm Paki defense positions..

Anyway nice to see you back @Bornubus .. DFI had only few knowledgeable peoples like you, I always love to read your posts..!! Keep rocking..I'm with you

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hope silently we mass produce Prahaar and equip to our strike corps to overwhelm Paki defense positions..

Anyway nice to see you back @Bornubus .. DFI had only few knowledgeable peoples like you, I always love to read your posts..!! Keep rocking..I'm with you
Yes correct. I was very surprised to see him banned.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Possibly it's new Prahaar II/ ER. Coz the NOTAM Range was 200km and Hemant Sir said First Developmental Trial of new SRBM will be conducted today, so testing the old 150km range Prahaar and claiming it to be first developmental trial doesn't makes much sense.

P.S. - Let's wait for official DRDO announcement or from DRDO sources coz nobody except me claimed it to be PRAHAAR II / ER

Enquirer

Possibly it's new Prahaar II/ ER. Coz the NOTAM Range was 200km and Hemant Sir said First Developmental Trial of new SRBM will be conducted today, so testing the old 150km range Prahaar and claiming it to be first developmental trial doesn't makes much sense.

P.S. - Let's wait for official DRDO announcement or from DRDO sources coz nobody except me claimed it to be PRAHAAR II / ER
Also the paint job (or the lack of it) definitely says it's a developmental flight.
If it was the original Prahaar then the test would have been a 'user validation' test, with flashy decals!

NeXoft007

Country flag
20180920_161021_rmedited.png

::::
The 420mm Prahaar is beautifully designed to carry three 190mm Missile Launched Precision Guided Munition (MLPGM).

P.S - This is purely my assumption, coz MLPGM was designed to be launched from a Tactical Ballistic Missile (TBM). I simply calculated the number of MLPGMS that can be fitted inside Prahaar TBM.

Last edited:

Advaidhya Tiwari

View attachment 28058
The 420mm Prahaar is beautifully designed to carry three 190mm Missile Launched Precision Guided Munition (MLPGM).

P.S - This is purely my assumption, coz MLPGM was designed to be launched from a Tactical Ballistic Missile (TBM). I simply calculated the number of MLPGMS that can be fit inside Prahaar TBM.
MLPGM is essentially SANT missile according to your older post here:

Actual scaled pic of Stand Off Anti-Tank Missile/ S.A.N.T Missile (also known as MLPGM/ Missile Launched Precision Guided Munition). Powered by MMW Seeker.

The name Missile Launched PGM (MLPGM) IS given because it can be fitted inside a Tactical Ballistic Missile and release it from a favorable altitude. Ultra Unique Concept. I guess Pinaka will take the role of carrying it although the other pic mentions Prithvi Missile.
View attachment 23520
View attachment 23521

NeXoft007

Country flag
MLPGM is essentially SANT missile according to your older post here:
I never denied that, yes MLPGM is basically SANT, but some differences inside, both have MMW Seeker, but MLPGM have 10kg warhead instead of 8kg warhead of SANT.

Flame Thrower

View attachment 28058

P.S - This is purely my assumption, coz MLPGM was designed to be launched from a Tactical Ballistic Missile (TBM). I simply calculated the number of MLPGMS that can be fitted inside Prahaar TBM.
Theory seems to be good, but not practical.

1. Length of MLPGM doesn't fit into Prahar and have enough range.

2. How would the separation of missile takes place and tracking target for each MLPGM.

3. Why use a 100k missile to launch 3 MLPGMs when each sortie of LCH or Rudra can fire 8 missiles per sortie, which is waaay cheaper.

NeXoft007

Country flag
Theory seems to be good, but not practical.

1. Length of MLPGM doesn't fit into Prahar and have enough range.

2. How would the separation of missile takes place and tracking target for each MLPGM.

3. Why use a 100k missile to launch 3 MLPGMs when each sortie of LCH or Rudra can fire 8 missiles per sortie, which is waaay cheaper.
1. MLPGM is real and designed to be launched from TBM. But Prithvis are getting retired, so the only option we have are Pralay and Prahaar TBM. Only time will tell if my theory is legit or not. TBH, I am myself not 100% sure of it.

2. Driving LCH deep into enemy territory full of enemy MANPADS, SHORADS, QR-SAM is dangerous. Prahaar if equipped with MLPGMs can take as little as 3 minutes to do its job.

3. Using TBM like Prahaar equipped with MLPGMs can take out multiple targets, including Search Radar Vehicle, Fire Control Radar Vehicle, C&C Vehicle which are generally parked few kms away from each other which isn't possible with other types of warheads. The SAMs will have difficulty locking into Prahaar coz of its composite airframes and cruising at 35km altitude.

4. In case of Pralay TBM, upto 9 MLPGMs can be fitted inside theoretically.
20180917_233732_rmedited.png

Last edited:

Enquirer

1. MLPGM is real and designed to be launched from TBM. But Prithvis are getting retired, so the only option we have are Pralay and Prahaar TBM. Only time will tell if my theory is legit or not. TBH, I am myself not 100% sure of it.

2. Driving LCH deep into enemy territory full of enemy MANPADS, SHORADS, QR-SAM is dangerous. Prahaar if equipped with MLPGMs can take as little as 3 minutes to do its job.

3. Using TBM like Prahaar equipped with MLPGMs can take out multiple targets, including Search Radar Vehicle, Fire Control Radar Vehicle, C&C Vehicle which are generally parked few kms away from each other which isn't possible with other types of warheads. The SAMs will have difficulty locking into Prahaar coz of its composite airframes and cruising at 35km altitude.

4. In case of Pralay TBM, upto 9 MLPGMs can be fitted inside theoretically.
View attachment 28064
MLPGM project has been 'completed' by DRDO few years ago - without ever being launched by a TBM or even before the SANT missile (around which it seems to have been configured - at least via the images) was ever tested.

DRDO 'completes' projects whenever the project objectives are achieved or when the product is not required anymore as designed - just like Nakshatra Aerostat, MCIWS etc

My take is that MLPGM is dead. (It might make a comeback few years later under different set of requirements)

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles