PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

Physx32

Country flag
Its just not powercuts, power surges are the killer....general cheap retail grade UPS will not protect you after one hit and if you are lucky then 2 hits and it will not warn you either that something is wrong and the components degrade after 3 to 5 years too.....if you live in lightening heavy or wiring that is not properly grounded at home level then it will take out your UPS as well as anything connected to it....I have seen many failures like this. Also make sure you cable/ethernet cables are also going through UPS. Best way to protect is to have full home surge protection.
My entire home circuit is protected by appropriately rated MOV for surge/lightning protection. I also have 4 lightning arrestors on the roof with proper grounding. Apart from that, I use a separate Honeywell extension board with MOV surge protector PC and peripherals.

I also have RCCB installed to provide safety against LG faults.

omaebakabaka

My entire home circuit is protected by appropriately rated MOV for surge/lightning protection. I also have 4 lightning arrestors on the roof with proper grounding. Apart from that, I use a separate Honeywell extension board with MOV surge protector PC and peripherals.

I also have RCCB installed to provide safety against LG faults.
Impressive and thats exactly what is necessary to protect from surges like lightening, I would also consider filtering equipment if you have expenseive HT like professional grade equipment, I can't believe how many people don't think about these things, live in India or some other countrty?

Physx32

Country flag
Impressive and thats exactly what is necessary to protect from surges like lightening, I would also consider filtering equipment if you have expenseive HT like professional grade equipment, I can't believe how many people don't think about these things, live in India or some other countrty?
I live in India. I'm an electrical engineer, so am aware of these things.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Folks need a good suggestion regarding laptop
Specs
i5 or Ryzen 5
Graphic card optional
Shorter screen size

SSD min 8gb
Storage 256gb min
Budget under 50000

DingDong

Country flag
Specs
i5 or Ryzen 5
Graphic card optional
Shorter screen size

SSD min 8gb
Storage 256gb min
Budget under 50000
This is not a good time to build a new PC because the current generation of CPU sockets and some other hardware have reached their end of life. If you can postpone your decision for a while then wait until the end of 2024 for the new CPUs and sockets to arrive. If you require a next generation consumer-grade Intel CPU then you will need to wait until the April of 2025.

If you need to build a new PC right now, then read on.

13th and 14th generation Intel CPUs vastly outperform the Ryzens. Unfortunately, the 14th generation consumer-grade CPUs are yet to be released (only the enthusiast grade 14th generation CPUs are currently available), you will need to wait for the next couple of months.

Intel CPUs ship with integrated graphics card, hence you won't need to purchase a discrete graphics card.

Go for a single 8GB DDR5 RAM module with a matching motherboard, DDR4 RAM has become obsolete.

You will find lot many options for the M.2 256 GB SSD. They come in two flavors, PCIE and SATA. Prefer the PCIE gen 4 ones with a TLC NAND.

Invest in a good power supply, don't cheap out on the power supply.

Go for a 24 inch Full HD IPS monitor from a reputed brand because they offer hassle-free "on-site" warranty. If you can't afford one then stick with your current monitor for a while.

My Picks for the new PC parts if you wish to build immediately

CPU: Intel Core i5-13400
Motherboard: MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard
RAM: Kingston FURY Beast 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) DDR5-5600 CL40 Memory
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Power supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Lenovo L24m-40

If you wish to go for the older generations then go for a deal on OLX or similar site. However don't opt for anything lower than a 10th generation Intel CPU or equivalent.

johnj

Specs
i5 or Ryzen 5
Graphic card optional
Shorter screen size

SSD min 8gb
Storage 256gb min
Budget under 50000
under 50000 - you cab get a decent laptop for that price with i5,14", 16 gb ram, 512GB M2 SSD, without separate GPU
Important points to consider before buying laptop
1. Consider the Brands service centers near you & quality of their service
2. Always consider newest gen or latest gen tech w.r.t your price
3. Always buy 2x RAM sticks and 512GB/1TB SSD & also look how good is laptops camera
Hint - Having a low end GPU reduces the load on CPU,
Small screen size means less price
I consider hybrid i5 over Ryzen 5 for laptop

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
This is not a good time to build a new PC because the current generation of CPU sockets and some other hardware have reached their end of life. If you can postpone your decision for a while then wait until the end of 2024 for the new CPUs and sockets to arrive. If you require a next generation consumer-grade Intel CPU then you will need to wait until the April of 2025.

13th and 14th generation Intel CPUs vastly outperform the Ryzens. Unfortunately, the 14th generation consumer-grade CPUs are yet to be released (only the enthusiast grade 14th generation CPUs are currently available), you will need to wait for the next couple of months.

Intel CPUs ship with integrated graphics card, hence you won't need to purchase a discrete graphics card.

Go for a single 8GB DDR5 RAM module with a matching motherboard, DDR4 RAM has become obsolete.

You will find lot many options for the M.2 256 GB SSD. They come in two flavors, PCIE and SATA. Prefer the PCIE gen 4 ones with a TLC NAND.

Go for a 24 inch Full HD IPS monitor from a reputed brand because they offer hassle-free "on-site" warranty. If you can't afford one then stick with your current monitor for a while.

Power supply: Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

If you wish to go for the older generations then go for a deal on OLX or similar site. However don't opt for anything lower than a 10th generation Intel CPU or equivalent.
Go for better psu rest all is decent maybe a better Ram psu needs alot of love.

johnj

Always, I mean always buy 2 RAM sticks/modules with heat sink
Nice build, also I consider 550W PSU 80+

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
under 50000 - you cab get a decent laptop for that price with i5,14", 16 gb ram, 512GB M2 SSD, without separate GPU
Important points to consider before buying laptop
1. Consider the Brands service centers near you & quality of their service
2. Always consider newest gen or latest gen tech w.r.t your price
3. Always buy 2x RAM sticks and 512GB/1TB SSD & also look how good is laptops camera
Hint - Having a low end GPU reduces the load on CPU,
Small screen size means less price
I consider hybrid i5 over Ryzen 5 for laptop
Ok if I just take that small screen size requirement
Can u or anyone else suggest any particular laptops or models to buy
Just name will be enough

johnj

Ok if I just take that small screen size requirement
Can u or anyone else suggest any particular laptops or models to buy
Just name will be enough
Sorry I cant
But I consider Asus, HP, Acer brands considering quality of service centers/personal near me and Asus is top of the list - means buying a laptop depends on the location you live
MSI makes some best laptops but I don't buy MSI laptops due to unavailability of service centers close to my location
Always consider 2xRam, 2x6GB or 2x16 GB, never buy computer with single RAM module
Google about dual channel mode

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
Thanks in advance :hail::hail::hail:
1.You can get HP victus - has ryzen 5, SSD but update your ram by getting one more after market so u have dual rams, has 4gb amd basic GPU good enough for coding

2.You can get HP pavilion offline you might find it for 48 or so has FP reader and alexa built in backlit keyboard if you work in night and has wifi 6 better screen too if u can get it in decent price a good buy.

3.Dell 2023 inspiration series basic but reliable used it for 4 years for 3d work myself before moving to pc.

4.Lenovo IdeaPad gaming 3 if u want Intel and gtx 1650.

Do check out Asus vivobook 16x and hp laptop 15s before buying too.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
1.You can get HP victus - has ryzen 5, SSD but update your ram by getting one more after market so u have dual rams, has 4gb amd basic GPU good enough for coding

2.You can get HP pavilion offline you might find it for 48 or so has FP reader and alexa built in backlit keyboard if you work in night and has wifi 6 better screen too if u can get it in decent price a good buy.

3.Dell 2023 inspiration series basic but reliable used it for 4 years for 3d work myself before moving to pc.

4.Lenovo IdeaPad gaming 3 if u want Intel and gtx 1650.

Do check out Asus vivobook 16x and hp laptop 15s before buying too.
Thanks a lot bro
Will look after it

Global Defence

New threads

Articles