Parts Of Indian Media And National Security

What must be done to stop such an action by Media ?

• Impose fines !

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Licenses should be revoked !

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Tihar Jail !

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Warning Shots !

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

pmaitra

Didn't expected from such reputed Journalist even in NDTV ..
Kunal, you asked some valid questions. I think if NDTV took those photographs, they did so after taking permission from the Navy. I think it is fine.

One of the commentators named Vivek claims everytime NDTV made some programme, Pakistan benefitted. Such absolutist claims are expected of paid trolls or dedicated political activists.

NDTV is one of the most reputed channels and they have made some fine programmes on the Indian Armed Forces and our homegrown defence products. I wouldn't doubt Vishnu Som either. He, along with Pallava Bagla, are two reputed reporters from NDTV.

AnantS

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas: A very right response to journalist of dubious/infamous commie channel, often derided as New Delhi subsidiary of PTV . Tell VishnuS: one day Transmission ban was handed to NDTV, for Pathankot transmission. A light sentence because considering it as a first offence after new rules kicked in on what not to transmit and when not to transmit during operations. Tell him, security of nation comes first and formost. And if freedom of press interferes with security of nation or puts Jawans life in peril, then that needs to be restricted. A famous english expression comes to mind: Your freedom ends where my nose begins

Last edited:

mayfair

NDTV is one of the most reputed channels.
Reputation lies in the eye of the beholder. NDTV is reputed alright, but probably not in the manner you are implying.

I wouldn't doubt Vishnu Som either. He, along with Pallava Bagla, are two reputed reporters from NDTV.
They have had their share of bloopers, especially recently. I also had the "privilege" of following a discussion involving Vishnu on Bharat Rakshak forum, where he used to be an active member and used to post occasionally till recently. Let's just say, it let out into the open quite a few things.

Ancient Indian

p = np :)
NDTV is doing recce for Pak again.

And our Defence people again trusting that channel blindly.
Who will take responsibility for the next deaths of soldiers?

In the end, it will be the cannon fodder which will take the burnt for the higher officers stupidity.
God bless the country, their commanders and Babus.

Ancient Indian

Kunal, you asked some valid questions. I think if NDTV took those photographs, they did so after taking permission from the Navy. I think it is fine.

One of the commentators named Vivek claims everytime NDTV made some programme, Pakistan benefitted. Such absolutist claims are expected of paid trolls or dedicated political activists.

NDTV is one of the most reputed channels and they have made some fine programmes on the Indian Armed Forces and our homegrown defence products. I wouldn't doubt Vishnu Som either. He, along with Pallava Bagla, are two reputed reporters from NDTV.
Will you take responsibility if some Navy people die because of this NDTV program?

Of course, It is not your people that are put on line to feel for them.

SilentKiller

Country flag
Will you take responsibility if some Navy people die because of this NDTV program?

Of course, It is not your people that are put on line to feel for them.
NDTV or any TV channel can make some program on any defence organisation..Armed forced given permission considering every thing, initial clips are viewed and cleared by them..

We should have more Armed forced based programs..i loved shows by rocky singh and mayur sharma on NDTV..it helps civilians know what military eats, how they work etc. more such shows should be encourage.

Level of defence reported in india is too bad, people putting apache pics while reporting on LCH, wrongly telling range or payload capacity..

You are getting too timid, if u give your view on some defence equipment and that equipment leads to death of some defence personal because of any reason, then u are responsible ..how?

The law for good reporting is that during any counter terrorism operations, TV reporting should be made such that live images are not broadcasted..i believe during Pathankot operation, almost all TV channels followed this rule, they did mistake during 26/11 and its wasn't only NDTV it was all ZEE or STAR etc, they and government learnt from that mistake.
If any channel doesn't follow these guideline, it should be heavily fined and in case of repeat offenders its license should be revoked. fine or 1 day ban against NDTV for pathankot was fine. if its shows to be repeat offender even strick action should be taken.

Issue is why did governmnet backtraced, was that the claim made by government wasn't right?
my feeler is that Ban was bit political motivated, else government would have fought tooth and nail, i can be wrong on that part..initialy i too like the ban, but once government backtracked i though dal meh kuch kala hai.

U don't like a channel, what forcing u to watch it? are u a small kid been fed these channel?

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@pmaitra, That must have been, Otherwise it is not possible to shoot in a Navy ship ..

=======

What i find disturbing is :

1.He suddenly become defensive and rather be logical he was rhetoric in his replies when raised about past issues with respect to National security with regards to NDTV , He did not provide me any more source which i requested which would support his claims as he made.

2. Much more disturbing was he insisted that broadcasting of misc information should be carried out without concerning officials at site, Which is strictly against protocol set by defense forces ..

3. Anyone involve in defense reporting should know about PRO ( Public relation Officer ), In his argument he is pretending that their is nothing he is aware off, I cannot expect such from a reputed defense reporter, The discussion was unpleasant and upsetting..

I left it as its not possible to debate ..

pmaitra

@Kunal Biswas, that is precisely my point. Whatever shots he took, he took with the permission of the Navy. I see no malice, and I seek no malice, especially where none exists.

I saw the conversation. The conversation should have been limited to the pictures of the submarine. What NDTV has done in some other instance is not really relevant here.

On a related note, I have seen some excellent documentaries on US Navy and Russian Navy submarines. I am looking forward to such documentaries about the Indian Armed Forces.

mayfair

@pmaitra

It's noteworthy that Vishnu Som himself steered the conversation in the direction of "Democracy", "Stalinist Russia", "National security" and so forth.

He could have simply said that the visit and the images were vetted by senior naval personnel and that all information that has been shared was only after proper vetting.

Where was the need to go off on a tangent?

Regarding his strawman about there being only a "handful of terrorists" in Pathankot, this information was not known UNTIL AFTER the ops were successfully concluded and it was verified that all terrorists were eliminated- No one knew for sure how many terrorists were there AT THE TIME Rajiv Ranjan was busy screaming his lungs off- not the forces, not GoI and definitely not Vishnu Som, NDTV or Rajiv Ranjan.

So all actions should have been done with the assumption that there was a distinct possibility of more terrorists in the area. The forces did it, GoI did it, guess who didn't comply? NDTV, Vishnu Som and Rajiv Ranjan.

Would it not have been more reasonable to assume that there could be more jihadis around and hold off the cameraworks for a while.

It's like an arsonists claiming that him lighting up his cigarette in a godown storing firecrackers didn't matter since the firecrackers were all sold out as they found later.

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Who gives the final go ahead to let these 'journalists' have access to such sensitive material?

There must the accountability lie. We can hahrdly except the likes of NDTV to honour national security.

raja696

Different ways:

1. Video footage should be taken by military personal throughly checked and edited (media outlet should pay for such services) and passed on for media channel programmes.

2. There should be a law passed that any video footage or data information online regarding military personnel, equipment and operations is the property of armed forces.

So any broadcasting or even discussion about military topics should have prior permission and vetted.

Incase of any misinterpretation and not following rules. All property involved like camera, footage live will be confiscated as property of army. And no appeals or cases will be entertained.

Or

Armed forces should run its own designated media cell in there own cadres. And pass them to private media.

I hope central government does pass some laws about these issues.

Otherwise arrogance of media is to the peaks in name of pseudo freedom.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Their is nothing wrong with documentary, But its about particular reputed journalist and his views regarding National security with respect to NDTV background, Clearly justifying and supporting mistakes which could cost lives and further support it to be continued ..

No one has issues as long as Navy does not ..

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I hate NDTV, I won't be able to contribute any balanced views on this thread beyond this post.

I hate them because of Chaitanya Kunte episode, Barkha Dutt, Nidhi Razdan, stand they took during JNU episode and the list goes on.

I lost respect for Vishnu som looking at how upset he was when Rafale deal was cut to 3 squadrons, the guy was visually upset as if he lost something big time. Second instance was in past six months, the guy's shoulders drooped and head bent when challenged on facts live on TV. I hate people who don't have a spine to accept when they are wrong.

Ancient Indian

NDTV or any TV channel can make some program on any defence organisation..Armed forced given permission considering every thing, initial clips are viewed and cleared by them..

We should have more Armed forced based programs..i loved shows by rocky singh and mayur sharma on NDTV..it helps civilians know what military eats, how they work etc. more such shows should be encourage.

Level of defence reported in india is too bad, people putting apache pics while reporting on LCH, wrongly telling range or payload capacity..

You are getting too timid, if u give your view on some defence equipment and that equipment leads to death of some defence personal because of any reason, then u are responsible ..how?

The law for good reporting is that during any counter terrorism operations, TV reporting should be made such that live images are not broadcasted..i believe during Pathankot operation, almost all TV channels followed this rule, they did mistake during 26/11 and its wasn't only NDTV it was all ZEE or STAR etc, they and government learnt from that mistake.
If any channel doesn't follow these guideline, it should be heavily fined and in case of repeat offenders its license should be revoked. fine or 1 day ban against NDTV for pathankot was fine. if its shows to be repeat offender even strick action should be taken.

Issue is why did governmnet backtraced, was that the claim made by government wasn't right?
my feeler is that Ban was bit political motivated, else government would have fought tooth and nail, i can be wrong on that part..initialy i too like the ban, but once government backtracked i though dal meh kuch kala hai.

U don't like a channel, what forcing u to watch it? are u a small kid been fed these channel?
It's about making a statement, dude.
We can't have NDTV snooping around our equipment, given their history and their hiring of anti nationals.

Why should I entertain my enemies when they are clearly plotting for my destruction?

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
and Darkha Bhat was spotted asking for confidential data in the disguise of free media.

desk.png

SilentKiller

Country flag
It's about making a statement, dude.
We can't have NDTV snooping around our equipment, given their history and their hiring of anti nationals.

Why should I entertain my enemies when they are clearly plotting for my destruction?
its for navy or our armed forces allows them, its their decision.
so if they give permission, whats the issue.

how come u can decide who is foe or friend?
its wrong to give nationalism certificate to anyone..let court or government decide..if navy allows NDTV , its all fine.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles