Pakistan, Caste and dilemma of quislings

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Some interesting information from brotherly enemy forum posted by one Pashtun nationalist Pakistani member.

What is the meaning of 'Kafirs' with 'blue eyes, red skin and lighter hair' mentioned in that screenshot of book? Were the people of Chitral not Muslim? Or the slaves sold were not local people ;but in that case why would they talk about beauty of women of Chitral?

Was Chitral Pashtun ruled princely state? But wikipedia mentions 98% of population spoke a different language called 'Khowar', less than 2% spoke Pashto.

Anyone knows more about history of this place Chitral in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa?
View attachment 19347
@Zulfiqar Khan @shimshali @Neo
^^^^^^^^^^^
.... From wikipedia >

Kho people

There is also a related tribe of Kalash people in Chitral district

Kalash people

Adjacent to this Chitral district, in Afghanistan there is a region called Nuristan/Kafiristan.

Nuristanis:

So who were the slaves and who were the slavers in these slave markets of Chitral? Their own tribal leaders or people of other tribes?
Just a random non specific observation. These areas in Pakistan and Afghanistan on map look in geographical continuity with Gilgit Baltistan region of J&K. GB is an Indian territory occupied by Pakistan that India never bothered to liberate and now large number ot Pashtun tribals settled by Pakistan there too.

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
https://lubpak.com/archives/71262
Mullah, the Talib and Pashtun society – by Asad Munir
In the Pashtun social system, the inhabitants of a village are normally divided into three segments, the Pashtuns, Mian or Mullah (religious functionaries) and Kasabgars (professionals, like barbers and carpenters). The influential class has always been the Pashtuns. The Kasabgars have seldom challenged the authority of Pashtuns; they have concentrated on earning their livelihood and providing education to their children. A number of them excelled in fields like medicine, engineering, education, armed forces and even in politics. But once they make a name for themselves, they want to be known as Pashtun, by aligning with the tribe in whose area they were born and brought up.
Interesting information someone wrote in comments sections there. Karma is a bitch! :

... it was not FATA , Poeple who Liberated invaded Kashmir in war of 9 Sept 1947 to Ist Jan 1949 , Liberation invasion of Kashmir when whole Kashmir was Physically Invaded by Pashtuns from Armies of Nawab of Dir and Ambh and Swat .

The Nawab of Dir Pukhtunkwa was called , Shahjehan Khan whos was Imprisoned by Pakistan Army in 1971 and died in Captivity in Jail in Lahore as a Reward for This . Gen Ayub Khan had Enmity with this Nawab on personnel level

The Nawab of Amb Hazara Pukhtunkwa , was remopved from His State and made just a common man in 1971 too and Turbela Dam was made on his Land making him a Poor Man .
His sons are Just MNA,s and spend Unknown life and thier are no Yadgars or any Medals for those who achieved so much which cannot be Mimicked and done by Pakistan Army now . The Heros were turned to Zeros and Nawabs into beggers and Dams/ Water Reservoirs made on thier Soil

The Swat Nawab was also made Land Less and Poor is now a common man victim of Same Punjabis Sikhs who came with Their British Officers in command from Mardan Punjab Regimental Centers , as these Gujars and Pirachas are now claiment to same lands of those Nawabs of Swat and Dir Nawab Shahjehan khan

These People of Swat and Dir have been Empowered by ISI and Army of Punjabis to claim these Land of Pashtun Nawabs and Governors who followed King of Afghanistan the Durrani and Abdalis 1757-1857 who were Removed from Power by these same Taliban in Grab of War against Russian in 1979 after President Daud was Assassinated the last Durrani Leader of Afghanistan .

That is why the same Gujar Punjabi Sepoys of British and Pirachas Punjabi of Swat are not Owner of Those Lands as Taliban and State Sponsored Terrorists ....

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Challenging the Racist Within: Vancouver-based Pakistani Canadian Podcaster Confronts His Own Sense of Caste, Racial and Religious Superiority
Written by Chelby Daigle

Vancouver-based podcaster Abubakar Khan's recent episode "I'm Racist, Where's My Counter-Protest" reflects on his own complicity in racism and discrimination in Canada
....interview.....
blah blah........ I did feel superior to other South Asian people because I was a Rajput as a kid. As I got older I began asking questions. What made me a Rajput? What made me superior to someone that was a Jatt or a Pathan?

.........blah blah........Holy prophet.......Islam good....blah blah.............

...............Pakistanis who openly articulated having a sense of superiority to Black people. . .........

..........I would watch as my cousin, who is Pakistani, that was slightly darker skinned, was looked down upon. How he was subjected to snide remarks about his skin colour. My light skin privilege became apparent to me at a young age. The Black athlete you talk about his name is Zaid Abdul Aziz. I will never forget his face when he recounted how he was treated at the mosque by Pakistani people. ....................

blah blah........Islam good...equality....Muhammad good........Sahabah Bilal ibn Rabah was black....blah blah.....

.................Growing up in Vancouver, I was no stranger to all the racist comments made about Chinese people. I made them myself. .......

..................It's safe to say I had zero friends that were non-Muslim. I believed I was superior because I had a one-way ticket to heaven and everyone else was going to hell. Why should I associate with them?.........

......blah blah.......actually its because not following Īslam properly........need more Islam.....blah blah......

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Small personal problems of spoilt modern burger bacchas....

Being Pressured to Marry my Cousin [emotionally abusive parents]
Posted by pandorazchaos

I am 21 years old pakistani girl (grew up in Canada all my life) and currently working to finish up my last year of study of university inshallah. Ever since I was 17 my parents have been talking nonstop about getting me married............. I am very religious, pray 5 times a day,.............. I agreed to letting my mom help me find someone.............. Last year she took me with her to Pakistan for my cousin’s wedding. It was the first trip I made back home in over 10 years. We stayed for 2 (horrible) weeks................. She was “showing me off” to her brother/my uncle and trying to get me to take a liking to his son. Ever since we returned from that trip, she keeps bringing up my first cousin from back home and insisting that he is the best match for me,............. She tells me I am ruining the family, creating a bad atmosphere, and that it was a mistake to bring me to Canada to get educated because I have now become “Canadian” and have “Canadian values.”.............

My dad pretty much agrees with my mom and also has a lot of wrong Islamic concepts. For instance, he thinks Allah made people as distinct tribes to only marry within that tribe and that the caste system is somehow Islamically justified. Whenever I tell him this is wrong, the caste system is from hindu culture, Islam came to destroy the caste system, the only Islamic requirement for marriage is for both people to be Muslim, and that the ayah does not mean what he thinks, he becomes angry and tells me I just want to be married to junk & that I am ok with anyone/anything because I have become a Canadian with “no values” and “no culture” (they will also insert racist comments here like “even black? your OK marrying someone black if he is Muslim?” and that people of a “lower caste” have “jahliyah [ignorance/backwards behavior] in their BLOOD” like they are genetically programmed to be lesser humans) He says I should marry my cousin because it will let me stay in the caste and marrying someone else will bring shame to the family. he also says people outside the family cannot be trusted because you don’t know how they really are. When I still say that I want to marry someone raised in Canada, he starts threatening me by saying he could force me to drop out of university whenever he wants (even though my parents are not paying for my education at all; I am on a no-interest student loan that I am working hard to pay off on my own), that I have to obey him, and that if I do not listen to what he says, he will disown me and kick me out of the house. He says if I ever marry someone outside the caste or someone he does not approve of, I will be dead to him and prohibited from even going to his funeral.

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...est-private-bank-over-terror-financing.79884/
DCB Bank loses over 6% after key stakeholder comes under regulatory lens

‘Shared’ trouble: DCB Bank under RBI lens as US fines Habib Bank
Aga Khan Foundation for Economic Development (AKFED), which owns 51 per cent stake in Pakistan’s largest bank, holds 14.22 per cent in the small private sector lender. Aga Khan, the promoter of AKFED, is based in France and has a network of financial enterprises globally.

Habib Bank was fined a whopping $630 million (over ₹4,000 crore) by the US banking regulator for money laundering activities.
Reportedly, the New York Department of Financial Services on Monday said it had found 53 violations that are “serious, persistent and apparently affect the entire Habib banking enterprise”. Habib said in a statement that it will “vigorously contest” the fine in US courts,
^^^^

There is a Hospital in Mumbai Run by Aga Khan Foundation called Prince Aly Khan Hospital named after late father of current Aga Khan.

The Aga Khan Hospitals
The Aga Khan Hospitals are a network of international hospitals based in Dar es Salaam, Mumbai, Kisumu, Mombasa, Nairobi and Pakistan. The Hospitals are managed by the Aga Khan Health Services, one of the most comprehensive non-profit health-care systems in the developing world.
The Aga Khan Schools in India

Who is this Aga Khan? Sorry, I mean His Highness Sultan/ Imam Aga Khan? Looks like some great Philanthropist. Is he Sultan of some kingdom?
These are not real Sultans and Princes. Aga Khan is Spiritual leader/ Imam of some Nizari subsect of Ismaiili subsect of Shia Muslims.
There are an estimated 15-25 million (20% of Shia population) Nizari residing in more than 25 countries and territories. Nizari teachings emphasize human reasoning(ijtihad, the individual use of one's reason when using both the Quran and Hadith as resources), pluralism (the acceptance of racial, ethnic, cultural and intra-religious differences) and social justice........ bla bla bla bla
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizari
So the followers spread in many countries are his 'subjects' and he is their 'sultan'.
The title 'Prince' was given to grandfather of present Aga Khan by British Queen.
Additionally he is unique among the richest royals as he does not rule over a geographic territory.

This is current Aga Khan IV Prince Shah Karim Al Hussaini

He looks so white and superior Caucasian race na?

Some believe the Aga Khan is a direct descendant of Islam's Prophet Muhammad. The title "His Highness" was formally granted to the reigning Aga Khan by Queen Elizabeth II ....
And his foundation does a lot of philonthropical work for poor Asians and Africans.

His Highness the Aga Khan, the founder and chairman of the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), is the 49th hereditary Imam (Spiritual Leader) of the Shia Imami Ismaili Muslims. For His Highness the Aga Khan, one manifestation of his hereditary responsibilities has been a deep engagement with development for almost 60 years.
The philanthropist is head of the Aga Khan Development Network, and over the years has poured huge amounts of money into often neglected parts of the world to support social development, education and charity projects.

Through his projects and speaking engagements, his stated goal is to help spark change and progress in underdeveloped regions, while at the same time helping present a less threatening face of Islam to the world.
Significant portions of funding for development activities come from national governments, multilateral institutions and private sector partners. His Highness provides regular funding for administration, new program and country initiatives, and for some core activities.

Ismaili community members contribute volunteer time, professional services, and substantial financial resources.

AKDN Agencies include:
  • Aga Khan Academies
  • Aga Khan Agency for Microfinance
  • Aga Khan Education Services
  • Aga Khan Foundation
  • Aga Khan Fund for Economic Development
  • Aga Khan Health Services
  • Aga Khan Planning and Building Services
  • Aga Khan Trust for Culture
  • Aga Khan University
  • Focus Humanitarian Assistance
  • University of Central Asia

And he is liberal too...

Although he has a British passport, the Aga Khan lives in France and is among the top 15 of the world’s wealthiest royals- according to Forbes magazine, he’s worth an incredible £800 million
A multimillionaire member of royalty, His Highness Prince KarimAgaKhan IV is most often in the public spotlight for his love of race horses and the fact that he's been twice divorced.
The Aga Khan married Sally Croker-Poole, a former British model, who converted to Islam and took the name Princess Salimah Aga Khan, in 1969.
Princess Salimah and the Aga Khan divorced in 1995. It's reported that she received £20 million in her divorce settlement.

Three years later, the Aga Khan married Princess Gabriele Thyssen, a former pop singer.

Begum Inaara Aga Khan
Aga Khan III, made it optional forwomen to cover their hair in public. The vast majority of Ismaili women do not wear a hijab.
OMG they are so liberal. Women are allowed to not cover their head ! I always knew Shias are liberal. And these Ismaili Ali Khanis are even a liberal among them. They actually allowed women to not cover head !!!:scared2:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Aga Khan
The title is made up of the titles agha and khan. The Turkish "agha" is "aqa" (Āqā) in Persian. The word "agha" comes from the Old Turkic and Mongolian "aqa", meaning "elder brother",[2][3] and "khan" means king, ruler in Turkic and Mongolian languages.[4]

According to Farhad Daftary.....................However, Daftary contradicts what the Aga Khan III noted in a famous legal proceeding in India: that Aga Khan is not a title but instead a sort of alias or "pet name" that was given to the Aga Khan I when he was a young man.

In 1866, the Aga Khan won a court victory in the High Court of Bombay in what popularly became known as the Aga Khan Case, securing his recognition by the British government as the head of the Khoja community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khoja Speculation exists that many Lohanas of Gujarat converted to Nizari Ismailism due to the efforts of Pir Sadardin. They gradually used the title Khoja. Before the arrival of the Aga Khan from Persia to British ruled India in the 19th century, Khojas retained many Hindu traditions, including a variation on the Vaishnavite belief in the Dashavatara.[3][4]
^^^^^
To summarize, Aga Khan is hereditary religious chief of some Shia cult, who helped British and allegedly exiled from somewhere near Iran-Afghanistan border into British India and settled in Europe. Current leader lives and enjoys modern European lifestyle, socializes with European royals, British and Canadian prime ministers and exerts influence over his 'subjects' i.e. cult followers in faraway India, Pakistan and few parts of central asia and Africa.
Aga Khan was one of the most prominent pioneers of Pakistan movement.

agakhan.JPG

link
http://historypak.com/sir-agha-khan/
Aga Khan and Pakistan
APROPOS the news item ‘Role of various leaders in Pakistan Movement highlighted’ (Oct 17), I would like to point out the efforts of Sir Aga Khan III for the creation of Pakistan. Born in Karachi on Nov 2, 1877, Sir Sultan Mohammed Shah Aga Khan was a visionary leader who guided the Muslim nationalist movement, nursing the All-India Muslim League into a strong, united organisation which played an important role in the evolution of Pakistan.

In 1906, he helped in founding the Muslim League and remained its president for seven years. On Oct 1, 1906, the Aga Khan led a delegation of 35 Muslim leaders of India to Shimla and presented a memorandum on behalf of the Muslims of South Asia.

He presented an address to the Viceroy with a clear message which was as follows: “Muslims of India should not be regarded as a mere minority community but a separate nation, whose rights and obligations should be guaranteed by a statue and this was sought to be achieved through adequate and separate representation for Muslims both on local bodies and in legislative councils.”– The Memoirs of Aga Khan

On Oct 24, 1906, he wrote a letter to Nawab Mohsin-ul-Mulk, which went down in the history of South Asian Muslims because it ignited the Muslim League under whose banner the Muslims won their freedom and Pakistan was created.

Sir Sultan contributed vast amounts of personal wealth and energy toward the creation of Pakistan.

His contacts with the heads of state and the international elite helped gather world support. Prince Aly Khan, his eldest son, served as Pakistan’s Permanent Representative to the UN.

In 1911, the Aga Khan took it upon himself to collect funds to establish the Aligarh Muslim University. Subsequently, he also established and funded education and health institutions across South Asia.We must at least recognise the great Muslim leader by remembering his name amongst the list of leaders responsible for the creation of Pakistan.

Hussain Bux
Karachi
Published in Dawn, November 2nd, 2014
.................................................................................................................

But Pakistanis being Pakistanis................

43 killed in attack on bus carrying Ismailis in Karachi

Ismaili community attacked: police
Pakistan has seen a rising tide of sectarian violence in recent years, particularly against Shias — of which the Ismaili community is a sub-sect — who make up around 20 per cent of the country's predominantly Muslim population.

The bus belongs to the Al-Azhar Garden Colony, which is an Ismaili community housing project in Karachi. It was on its regular route headed towards Federal B Area of Karachi.
A community under threat
The Ismailis in Pakistan are a peaceful, progressive and largely apolitical community predominantly working in the health and education sectors.

Read: Pakistani Taliban threaten Kalash tribe, Ismailis in Chitral

In the past there has been anti-Ismaili violence in Chitral and Gilgit-Baltistan, mostly in the form of communal flare-ups.

In 2013, a bomb attack at Karachi's Aisha Manzil killed four and injured 42 others. The outlawed Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan had claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks.

Today’s massacre was the worst anti-Shia attack since January 30, when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a mosque in the southern Shikarpur district, killing 61.

Anti-Shia attacks have been increasing in recent years in Karachi and also in Quetta, the northwestern area of Parachinar and the far northeastern town of Gilgit.

Around 1,000 Shias have been killed in the past two years in Pakistan, with many of the attacks claimed by the hardline Sunni group Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ) who view them as heretics.

Ismailis are known for their progressive Islamic views. Their spiritual leader Prince Karim Aga Khan is a globally renowned philanthropist and business magnate.
agakhn.JPG

How the Eton-educated wartime Aga Khan offered '30,000 armed Arabs' to help Hitler - but still evaded treason trial

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tler--evaded-treason-trial.html#ixzz4sOt7pI77
https://insideismailism.wordpress.com/2015/12/06/aga-khan-secret-agent-by-harry-j-greenwall/
https://insideismailism.wordpress.com/2015/08/05/aga-in-waiting-by-mark-hollingsworth/

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Kumar, Sunil. (2009). The Ignored Elites: Turks, Mongols and a Persian Secretarial Class in the Early Delhi Sultanate. Modern Asian Studies. 43. 45 - 77. 10.1017/S0026749X07003319.

http://www.academia.edu/1266257/_Th...cretarial_Class_in_the_early_Delhi_Sultanate_

The Ignored Elites: Turks, Mongols and a Persian Secretarial Class in the Early Delhi Sultanate

Abstract
The consolidation of the Delhi Sultanate coincided with the Mongol devastation of Transoxiana, Iran and Afghanistan. This paper studies the Persian literature of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries invested as it was in the projection of the court of the Delhi Sultans as the ‘sanctuary of Islam’, where the Muslim community was safe from the marauding infidel Mongols. The binaries on which the qualities of the accursed Mongols and the monolithic Muslim community were framed ignored the fact that a large number of Sultanate elites and monarchs were of Turkish/Mongol ethnicity or had a history of prior service in their armed contingents. While drawing attention to the narrative strategies deployed by Sultanate chroniclers to obscure the humble frontier origins of its lords and masters, my paper also elaborates on steppe traditions and rituals prevalent in early-fourteenth-century Delhi. All of these underlined the heterogeneity of Muslim Sultanate society and politics in the capital, a complexity that the Persian litterateurs were loath to acknowledge in their records.

The Ignored Elites: Turks, Mongols and a Persian Secretarial Class in the Early Delhi Sultanate (PDF Download Available). Available from: https://www.researchgate.net/public...ecretarial_Class_in_the_Early_Delhi_Sultanate [accessed Sep 17, 2017].

www.southasiaanalysis.org/printpdf/1225
The Muslim Community and Their Leaders:
Submitted by asiaadmin2 on Tue, 04/02/2013 - 10:09 Paper No. 5446 Dated 2-Apr-2013 By R.Upadhyay
......Historical Background: Historically, the Muslim ruling class belonging to Arab, Turk, Central Asian and Afghan ancestry always treated the natives of the subcontinent as conquered and subject race. Ironically, they even kept the local converts isolated from the socio-religious life of mainstream Muslim society and treated them as inferior Muslims. A Turkish cleric Ziauddin Barani, a leading courtier of Mohammad bin Tughlaq(1325-1351) issued aFatawa-i-Jahandari appealing the Sultan to protect the Ashraf (High born Muslims) and keep the Ajlaf (Low born Muslims) firmly under their control. Referring Quran in support of his views, he insisted that the Sultan should consider it as a religious duty to deny the Ajlaf access to knowledge, branding them as mean and despicable. He further advised that "teachers of every kind are to be sternly ordered not to thrust precious stones down the throat of dogs or to put collars of gold round the necks of pigs and bears ...". (Yoginder Sikand quoting Mohammad Habib & Afsar 'Umar Salim Khan, The Political Theory of the Delhi Sultanate and translation of Ziauddin Barani's Fatawa-i Jahandari Circa 1358-9 A.D. page. 49). The subsequent Ulema often quoted Barani’s Fatwa-i-jahandari to prove this widely shared superior attitude of medieval Muslims towards the Ajlaf........

......Sarhindi.....

....Shah Waliullah.......

......The post-Mogul leaders from Sir Syed Ahmad to Mohammamad Ali Jinnah while carrying the ideological legacy of Sheikh Ahmad Sarhindi, Shah Waliullah, Abd al Aziz Syed Ahmad Barellvi..........

.............Post Partition of India: The problem of the Muslim masses in post-partition India is that their leaders were mostly the descendants of the pre-British ruling class that was still suffering from the medieval mental load of superiority to the native Indians whom they treated as a conquered and subject race during Muslim rule............

The political theory of the Delhi sultanate (including a translation of Ziauddin Barani's Fatawa-i Jahandari, circa, 1358-9 A.D.)

by Habib, Mohammad; Afsar Umar Salim Khan, joint author; Ziya al-Din Barani, fl. 1284-1356. Fatawa-i Jahandari

Publication date 1961

https://www.archive.org/stream/politicaltheoryo00habi#page/1/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/politicaltheoryo00habi

anyone can access the page?^
howz one supposed to read book in gif format? o_O
politicaltheoryo00habi.gif

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Some youtube videos

Fateh Ka Fatwa : Why have Muslims long been hiding caste system?

Political issues of Pakistani Minorities by Ramesh Jaipal

The Miseries of the Untouchables of Pakistan

Pakistani Sweepers - The Untouchables of an Islamic Society

Dalits in Pakistan: Changing Identities

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Pakistan's Untouchables : The Christian Sweeper Community

True love story of Punjab couple threatened over caste rivalry

No idea what is going on here

for timepass comment section

Who started this youtube channel? lol I thought Pakistanis love Mirpuris

Haraami Mirpuris
https://www.youtube.com/user/mirpurkigaand

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Kumar, Sunil. (2009). The Ignored Elites: Turks, Mongols and a Persian Secretarial Class in the Early Delhi Sultanate. Modern Asian Studies. 43. 45 - 77. 10.1017/S0026749X07003319.

http://www.academia.edu/1266257/_Th...cretarial_Class_in_the_early_Delhi_Sultanate_

www.southasiaanalysis.org/printpdf/1225
The Muslim Community and Their Leaders:
Submitted by asiaadmin2 on Tue, 04/02/2013 - 10:09 Paper No. 5446 Dated 2-Apr-2013 By R.Upadhyay

The political theory of the Delhi sultanate (including a translation of Ziauddin Barani's Fatawa-i Jahandari, circa, 1358-9 A.D.)

by Habib, Mohammad; Afsar Umar Salim Khan, joint author; Ziya al-Din Barani, fl. 1284-1356. Fatawa-i Jahandari

Publication date 1961

https://www.archive.org/stream/politicaltheoryo00habi#page/1/mode/2up
https://archive.org/details/politicaltheoryo00habi

anyone can access the page?^
howz one supposed to read book in gif format? o_OView attachment 20199
Well,actually there's a PDF link of the book in that link at the right side in downloads section,brother.

File is sized around 28.5 MBs,
https://ia600301.us.archive.org/32/items/politicaltheoryo00habi/politicaltheoryo00habi_encrypted.pdf

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/04/25/caste-system-of-pakistan/

Caste system of Pakistan
April 25, 2016 BY Abdul Quayyum Khan Kundi
The independence movement for Pakistan was based on two nation theory. The theory proposed that Muslims are different from majority Hindus based on religion and the values proposed by it. One of the key difference was that Hindu religion sanctioned division of the society based on a caste system. Muslims refused to accept it and believed in aik hi saaf main khara ho gay mehmood o ayaz. They had good relations with lower caste Hindus which were majority component of it to be a potent political force. But the reality is that the caste system survived post-independence. All independence has done is to replace Gora Sahib with Brown Sahib and Brahman with elites. This fact was recently highlighted by two events. First the Panama Papers leaks exposing international wealth of elite and second Chotu Gang in Rajanpur. Chotu was a small farmer before he became a robber and kidnapper in retaliation to injustice of a local Sardar. Let us look at the various castes in the country to understand this social system.

The largest among the castes are the serfs. They form majority of the country residing in rural areas and shanti towns in all major cities and towns. Economically they earn their livelihood through tilling the farm land in villages as well as employed as maids, drivers, factory workers, construction labor and chawkidars in cities. They survive by creating large families of 3 to five children. Every member of the family works even children. Each child on average brings Rs. 3000 to 5000 to help the family. Upper classes have developed a simple but effective system to keep them trapped in their serf status for generations by destroying the first five years of schooling of their children. Public schools that are supposed to serve these poor kids only function on paper while private schools are out of their reach. Once the formative years of schooling are missed and that critical phase is passed the child is left behind and remain member of the serf class for life. Imagine if these serfs get education they will either not work as maids and drivers or demand higher wages. Only a handful of them break the shackles and rise socially.

The next large caste is educated middle class that mostly reside in large and middle size towns. They engage in small businesses, office work, lower level bureaucracy, teachers, non-commissioned officers in the army, journalists, and police officers. They are the major contributors of the tax revenue of the state by paying income tax deducted at source from their salaries but has no voice in matters of spending it. They are passionate about changing the nation but usually limit themselves to watching talk shows rather than organize themselves in civic and community organizations. Their average monthly income is twice or thrice the size of the serfs but still not enough to save for improving their financial status. Many of them joined Pakistan People’s Party in the 1970s and Pakistan Tehrike Insaf in 2000s to influence social change but all they could achieve was to bring the chiefs of these parties to national platform. Once that objective was achieved both these men, Imran Khan and Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, left them and joined the higher caste of elites.

One of the smaller but most influential caste is the warrior class. They are the officer cadre of the three armed forces. They join these services usually from the educated middle class but as they rise in position they form a caste of their own and work actively to protect it’s interests. They usually consider themselves the sole protector of the state and do not hesitate to abrogate the constitution whenever they singularly feel the state is in danger. They are financially secure and do not fear reprisal of law. They remind me of Janissari created by Ottoman Umpire. These were orphans of Christian parents that died in various wars of occupation. They were converted to Islam and trained as officers to be loyal to the crown. But eventually they grew so strong that Ottoman Umpire was too weak to control them. They became war lords in areas where they were posted to protect interests of the umpire.

The other smaller but influential caste is the Ulema. Most of them have organizations of their own to collect charities and run network of mosques. They depend on support of the people financially and politically. They do not find any difficulty by monopolizing the message of the religion which usually means exploiting the fear of God. After the Soviet Union invasion of Afghanistan they increased their influence by aligning with the warrior class to initiate a jihad in which they also secured international support. They are still politically not strong enough to secure the majority mandate to rule the country. Maulana Fazlur Rehman of JUI F quite effectively articulated this weakness when he said that Ulema may not be able to secure majority mandate but they have enough strength to topple the government.

The smallest but the most influential caste is the elite class. They are large industrialists, large media owners, Sardars, gaddi nashins and national politicians. They hardly pay any taxes, have no respect for law of the land, and exploit the resources of the state to enrich themselves. They have properties abroad and consider it their birth right to rule the country. They have muk mukka to protect each other by controlling the larger but powerless classes through fiscal measures and monopoly over private enterprise and political parties. Panama Papers have confirmed what we knew all along that elites are super rich and one country is not enough to keep their wealth.

Pakistan is only an Islamic country in name and one of the most unislamic country in practice. It cannot become the new Medina unless and until the back of the caste system is broken and true equality attained where Mahmood o ayaz has to be treated same by prosecution for breaking the law. It can either happen through peaceful social transformation. Or it could be through bloody revolution which is just around the corner and waiting for a flash point to trigger it.
Eureka : 'the janissaries'

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
Janissaries

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janissaries

The Janissaries (Ottoman Turkish: يڭيچرى‎ yeñiçeri [jeniˈt͡ʃeɾi], meaning "new soldier") were elite infantry units that formed the Ottoman Sultan's household troops, bodyguards and the first modern standing army in Europe. The corps was most likely established during the reign of Murad I (1362–89)...... Their end came in June 1826 in the so-called Auspicious Incident.
They began as an elite corps of slaves made up of kidnapped young Christian boys who were forced to convert to Islam, and became famed for internal cohesion cemented by strict discipline and order. Unlike typical slaves, they were paid regular salaries.
From the 1380s to 1648, the Janissaries were gathered through the devşirme system............. This was the taking (enslaving) of non-Muslim boys,[10] notably Anatolian and Balkan Christians; Jews were never subject to devşirme, nor were children from Turkic families. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica, "in early days, all Christians were enrolled indiscriminately. Later, those from Albania, Bosnia, and Bulgaria were preferred."

It was a similar system to the Iranian Safavid, Afsharid, and Qajar era ghulams, who were drawn from converted Circassians, Georgians, and Armenians..
their complete loyalty to the Sultan was expected.

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk wearing the traditional Janissary uniform at a masquerade ball during his early years in the Ottoman Army

2017-09-24-13-16-28.jpg

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Unsullied
..... The Unsullied are elite warrior-eunuchs bred and trained in Astapor, one of the three major cities of Slaver's Bay. They are slave-soldiers famed for their skills and discipline in battle. They are also often purchased from Astapor by some of the Free Cities......

https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/30714/slave-armies-were-they-used
...... Slave Armies... Yes they did happen. These armies mostly occurred in the Middle East in Ancient History with rulers and sultans. It started in the 7th Century but really came to affect in the 9th century during the second Muslim Dynasty, The Abbasids. These Muslim Rulers in the Middle East relied on slaves to join their army because they decided that these slaves would be completely loyal and dependent of their rulers. The most famous of these slave armies were Central Asian Turks, also referred to as The Mamluks.They were non-Muslim males from the steppe who were well known for their archery and horse riding skills due to being pastoral. They were captured and converted to Islam. Due to laws their was always a constant demand of Mamluk. These Mamluks were well trained soldiers and capable of being in the army.

the Turkish administrators would scour their regions (but especially the Balkans) every five years for the strongest sons of the sultan's Christian subjects. These boys (usually between the ages of 6 and 14) were then taken from their parents and given to Turkish families in the provinces to learn Turkish language and customs, and the rules of Islam. The recruits were indoctrinated into Islam, forced into circumcision and supervised 24 hours a day by eunuchs. They were subjected to severe discipline.................... As a result, the Janissaries were extremely well-disciplined troops, and became members of the askeri class, the first-class citizens or military class. Most were non-Muslims, because it was not permissible to enslave a Muslim.
......... states that many Christian families were willing to comply with the devşirme because it offered a possibility of social advancement.
A Janissary battalion was a close-knit community, effectively the soldier's family........ Only Janissaries' own commanding officers could punish them........
The Janissaries were kapıkulları (sing. kapıkulu), "door servants" or "slaves of the Porte", neither freemen nor ordinary slaves (köle). They were subjected to strict discipline, but were paid salaries and pensions upon retirement and formed their own distinctive social class................................ they became one of the ruling classes of the Ottoman Empire, rivalling the Turkish aristocracy.................... .......the Janissaries held enormous power, stopping all efforts at reform of the military.
As Janissaries became aware of their own importance they began to desire a better life. By the early 17th century Janissaries had such prestige and influence that they dominated the government. They could mutiny and dictate policy and hinder efforts to modernize the army structure. They could change Sultans as they wished through palace coups. They made themselves landholders and tradesmen. They would also limit the enlistment to the sons of former Janissaries
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_capitals_in_Pakistan#National_capital

The first capital of Pakistan was the coastal city of Karachi, which was selected by Muhammad Ali Jinnah.......... ... until 1959, when the military president, Ayub Khan, decided to build a new capital in the north of Pakistan, near the general headquarters of the Pakistani Armed Forces at Rawalpindi.................. Rawalpindi was the capital, designated in 1958..............Islamabad officially became the capital of Pakistan on 14 August 1967,(note:Islamabad is built on outskirts of old city Rawalpindi which houses Pakistan army headquarters.)
While they advanced their own power, the Janissaries also helped to keep the system from changing in other progressive ways, and according to some scholars the corps was most responsible for the political stagnation of Istanbul
..... Retired or discharged janissaries received pensions, and their children were also looked after..........They also became rent-seeking and set goals to protect their special rights and advantages................ By the mid-18th century they had taken up many trades.........

Pakistani army's '$20bn' business
Al Jazeera takes a look at how the Pakistani military is turning a profit.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
IHC rejects plea to get names of Zardari’s children changed

....... The petitioner in person, Raees Abdul Wahid advocate, addressing Justice Miangul Hassan said that he wanted to draw court's attention towards a very serious and important issue. To which court replied, “Is there any threat to the national security?” The petitioner said, Yes, my lord … you see people change their names, I mean people have changed their caste, my lord”. IHC judge replied, “I don’t see any problem with that. IHC judge asked the petitioner to argue on legal grounds.

To which the petitioner said that the Bilawal is a public figure and he should not have changed his caste. As the lawyer was forwarding arguments in this case, court dismissed his petition.....
:crazy: :facepalm:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
In the daily talk shows on Pakistani news shows where few elitist 'doctors' and 'military experts' and 'analysts' whine every day about India and rest of the world, one of the surnames often heard is some 'askeri'

Askeri :
Under the Ottoman Empire, an askeri (Ottoman Turkish: عسكري) was a member of a class of imperial administrators.

This elite class consisted of three main groups: the military, the court officials, and clergy. Though the term itself literally means "of the military", it more broadly encompasses all higher levels of imperial administration.

It was contrasted with the reaya, the tax-paying lower class, and the kul, or slave class,

A member of the Ottoman slave class, called a kul in Turkish, could achieve high status. Harem guards and janissaries are some of the better known positions a slave could hold, but slaves were actually often at the forefront of Ottoman politics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askeri
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Ottoman_Empire

Throughout the 18th and 19th centuries, sexual slavery was not only central to Ottoman practice but a critical component of imperial governance and elite social reproduction.[8] Dhimmi boys taken in the devşirme could also become sexual slaves, though usually they worked in places like bathhouses (hammam) and coffeehouses. They became tellaks (masseurs), köçeks (cross-dressing dancers) or sāqīs (wine pourers) for as long as they were young and beardless.[

Last edited:

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
In the daily talk shows on Pakistani news shows where few elitist 'doctors' and 'military experts' and 'analysts' whine every day about India and rest of the world, one of the surnames often heard is some 'askeri'

Askeri :
Under the Ottoman Empire, an askeri (Ottoman Turkish: عسكري) was a member of a class of imperial administrators.

This elite class consisted of three main groups: the military, the court officials, and clergy. Though the term itself literally means "of the military", it more broadly encompasses all higher levels of imperial administration.

It was contrasted with the reaya, the tax-paying lower class, and the kul, or slave class,

A member of the Ottoman slave class, called a kul in Turkish, could achieve high status. Harem guards and janissaries are some of the better known positions a slave could hold, but slaves were actually often at the forefront of Ottoman politics.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Askeri
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayah
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_Ottoman_Empire
^^^
Askari is a loan word from the Arabicعسكري(ʿaskarī), meaning "soldier". The Arabic word is a derivation from عسكر (ʿaskar), meaning "army" in Arabic. Words for "(a regular) soldier" derived from these Arabic words are found in Azeri, Persian, Somali, Swahili, Tajik, Turkish and Urdu.
There is a word similar to reaya used in old marathi called 'rayyat' used for common people (e. g. Some called Shivaji 'Rayatecha Raja' i.e. People's king). There is also a word 'kul' but it means tenant farmer(Bombay tenancy act 1939/1948 is called 'kul kayda' in marathi) ; for female slaves words dasi/batik were used.
Note: medieval deccan sultanates were originally formed by Turkic invaders.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
The Brahmins among Muslims we don't talk about
By MHA Sikander
Writer-activist based in Srinagar, Kashmir.

10-05-2017
"O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female, and have made you into nations and tribes, that you may know one another. Indeed the most honoured of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted" [Quran 49:13]

Islam, as a religion, does not believe in distinction on the basis of class, creed, caste, economic status, region, language and background. These criteria are immaterial for God to judge a person. In Islam, Taqwa (piety) and fear of God are two factors that determine the status of a Muslim before Allah. Islam, if we would trace its recent roots, was successful in establishing an egalitarian society in Saudi Arabia.

The egalitarianism continued politically for a period of not more than three decades, but for the masses it still holds, though in a rudimentary shape. The powerful political, social, corporate and military elite have kept the Muslim masses suppressed while enjoying an elevated status. They have deprived the masses equal opportunities to earn livelihoods, enjoy social mobility and excel in different fields.

The elite always need an ideology to keep the masses engaged so as to not let them unite. Ideology, religion, national interest and patriotism are often invoked to keep them divided.

No Place for Inequality

Islam preaches idealism and lays emphasis on equality, fraternity, brotherhood and transnational Ummah.

But in reality they are utopian concepts used by the religious and political elite to keep the Muslim masses divided so that egalitarianism and equality are never realised. The Muslims of the world are not a homogeneous group but a differential one that shares only few things in common.

The Muslims of South Asia are not a monolith. Cultural conditioning has meant many egalitarian teachings of Islam too faded away, particularly equality. In the Indian subcontinent, Islam was spread by the peaceful missionary work carried out by Sufis belonging to varied denominations (Silsilas).

The converts mostly belonged to the suppressed and oppressed classes of the Hindu society, that is Shudras and untouchables who had suffered caste oppression for generations. Islam and the egalitarian practice of Sufis certainly helped the oppressed Hindus seek refuge in and enjoy equality within the ambit of Islam.

With time, like patriarchy, caste too found its roots among the Muslims of the Indian subcontinent. Some travellers who came with Sufis or sought refuge in the subcontinent from repressive regimes, held to their non-subcontinental origin. Being refugees, they had expertise in various skills and some were doctors of divinity.

The aboriginal converts who belonged to the deprived and suppressed class thus accepted everything the foreigners said as the gospel truth and the word of Allah because the latter had the privilege of interpreting Islam.

The institution of caste came in handy as a comfortable tool for these elite to maintain their hegemony over the masses. They would preach the egalitarian principles of Islam, but in reality practise inequality and harboured a deep hatred for the masses.

The Muslims in India became divided among the Ashraf (the elite who trace their origin outside the subcontinent) and the Ajlaf (the masses who converted to Islam).

The Ashraf enjoyed the privilege of having sound social, political, educational and economic status but never wanted to share it with the masses who could have become future contenders to the privileges. But there are few exceptions to this rule. Islam was used as a tool and its egalitarian principles twisted in such a manner that it came to justify the institution of caste and Syedisation.

The scholars of Islam, from Sir Syed Ahmad Khan to Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanwi and down to the line of Islamic revivalist Maulana Abul Ala Maududi, all came to justify casteism as a doctrine of the faith.

This justification was the greatest disservice to Islam, a direct attack on the beloved Prophet Muhammad's life and an injustice to the ideals and teachings of the faith. But such disservice still continues and few voices are talking about the institutionalisation of caste among Muslims of the subcontinent.

Indian Muslim leaders have been adopting an ostrich-like approach denying the lived reality of caste among them. This denial has led to the deprivation of the scheduled caste status to Indian Muslims, who desperately need reservation being the most marginalised minority in the country.

Casteism among Kashmiri Muslims

Kashmir being a Muslim-majority region, though disputed in its nature, follows the institution of caste as an article of faith.

The Ashraf castes in Kashmir comprise those who call themselves Syeds (though there is no concept of Syeds in Islam or the Quran) and most of them trace their origin to distant lands, particularly of Central Asia, like Geelan, Hamdan and Andrab. The other elite are known as Khojas (the rich, upper caste Muslims).

The Syeds were poor and eked out a living by teaching the Quran (though most of them could not understand Arabic and still don't), attending funeral prayers, leading prayers in Masjids and engaging in minor teaching jobs. They were mostly dependent on the Khojas for their survival as the latter paid them generously, and would bestow grants to the Sufi shrines most Syeds had a parasitical relationship with.

Thus, many of them earned the title of Malla (a derogatory term used for a person who uses religion to earn money even through fraud and devilish means).

The Syeds and the Khojas could intermarry but the Khojas looked down upon the Syeds as Mallas for whose existence and sustenance they paid. The Mallas, as is a reality, were a shrewd lot and many of them were driven out of their lands by rulers for creating mischief and being a part of nefarious plans against the government. With the division of Indian subcontinent, a part of Kashmir remained with India.

Under the charismatic leadership of Sheikh Muhammad Abdullah, the implementation of revolutionary Land-to-Tiller act made the masses overnight owners of the land, depriving the Khojas of their decades-old privileges. Subsequently, the new educational policy helped the masses and particularly the Syeds, the first to avail the fruits of education. They also got the Syed women educated, though on the pulpits they would preach that sending girls to schools is haram. The newly-carved state of Jammu and Kashmir changed its contours and there was an overhaul in which Muslims found space in government jobs.

The Khojas, who had enjoyed their status as the Indian Muslim elite after the advent of British and defeat of the Last Mughal Emperor Bahadur Shah Zafar in 1857, were still lamenting about their lost privilege, and thus did not understand the essence of education in the changing times.

Most of them who had businesses and access to education got government jobs that had a limited amount of salary. So, the Khojas now looked down upon the Syeds who would take up government jobs. Once the Syeds made an entry in the government job sector, particularly the bureaucracy and the police, they made every effort that non-Syeds do not make it to the top echelons of these institutions.

It took several decades for the non-Syeds, the aboriginals’ masses of Kashmir, to make a dent in the Syedised bureaucracy. To this day the Syeds dominate the bureaucracy and the invisible apartheid continues. The Islamic revivalist movements that spread their network in Kashmir, including Jamaat-e-Islami, too were dominated by the Syeds as they had the privilege and legacy of Islamic teachings.

The indigenous institution of the Mirwaiz, whose establishment is traced to the Dogra regime and who had very humble origins, is now counted among the elite today due to social mobility.

At one point, the resistance movement against India too was dominated by the Syeds though the insurgency was started by the non-Syeds and they continue to offer sacrifices and become cannon fodder, with the Syeds ruling the roost and enjoying the leadership privilege. Few Syeds and Khojas lost their lives or took part in the insurgency, but both United Jihad Council and Hurriyat Conference are dominated by Syeds, who want the sacrifices from the non-Syeds and luxurious lives for their wards and extended family.

They have used every mechanism to keep the masses occupied with the conflict so that they don't engage with the larger questions associated with it, including caste and privileges. They do not want to democratise this institution and follow Islamic principles of equality by marrying non-Syeds even though they regularly preach democracy, equality, Islam and unity.

Casteism with PDP

The coming to power of a Syed party in Kashmir, that is, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) aka Pir Development Party has rendered the matters worse because they have installed their relatives on every front — from the university to the municipality — thus depriving others of their rightful opportunities. This too has added fuel to the resentment against the government. The PDP has been the most nepotistic regime that was democratically elected in the history of Kashmir.

The conditions will go worse and the caste factor will become a major player in the electoral politics of Kashmir in the near future, as witnessed in the 2017 Uttar Pradesh elections, should the government fail to act in an unbiased manner. The Hurriyat, led by Syed Ali Geelani and Mirwaiz Umer Farooq, has been less critical of the PDP regime, leading to suspicions of caste bias.

It is both hilarious and condemnable that only on the basis of being born into a family, one thinks that he/she is socially elevated from others and brands others as inferior.

False Elite

If at all one takes pride, it should be in their merit and achievements not on the basis of birth and association to distant lands.

For instance, the Indian Qureshis, who think they belong to Prophet Muhammad's tribe, must remember that the Quran says: "Muhammad is not the father of [any] one of your men, but [he is] the Messenger of Allah and last of the prophets. And ever is Allah, of all things, Knowing." [33:40]

Further, the Qureshis were a varied lot. Hence, while tracing one's origin, they must feel the pulse of the facts too. Incidentally, in some parts of India the Qureshis are butchers and enjoy the other backward class status.

Further those who trace their origins to distant lands and proudly display their surnames as Hamdani, Geelani, Baghdadi and Andrabi must be thankful to Kashmiris who gave their ancestors refuge when they were suffered siege and were hunted down in their birth burgs.

So, the people of the subcontinent were a hospitable lot who helped the downtrodden ancestors of those who claim to be elite today.

Caste is a reality that needs to be understood, debated and annihilated from the body of the Muslim society.

It seems to be an impossible task despite the strength of Dr BR Ambedkar's ideology. Dalit politics failed to annihilate caste but a struggle needs to be renewed, by making the masses understand its perils and that the elite have been exploiting them by engaging them in futile struggles as well as raising the false bandwagon of Islam being in danger, while themselves indulging in politics.

Only a holistic approach will sever the deep tentacles of caste from the Muslim society.

LordOfTheUnderworlds

Country flag
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Bulleh_Shah
Bulleh Shah

Bulleh Shah (1680 – 1757)(Punjabi: Shahmukhi: بل۝ے شا۝, Gurmukhi: ਬ੝ੱਲ੝ਹੇ ਸ਼ਾਹ), whose real name was Abdullah Shah, is believed to have been born in the small village of Uch, Bahawalpur in modern day Pakistan. His ancestors had migrated from Bukhara in modern Uzbekistan, in 1680. He was a Punjabi Sufi poet and a humanist. At the age of six months, his parents relocated to Malakwal. There his father was a preacher in the village mosque and a teacher.
A large amount of what is known about Bulleh Shah comes through legends, and is subjective;
Bulleh Shah studied Arabic, Persian and the Quran under his traditional teachers. After that, in an attempt to move to the next level (of mystic realization), he searched for a spiritual guide. Ultimately he found his murshid, in the form of Inayat Shah Qadri. Inayat Shah Qadri (or Shah Inayat, as he is referred to in Bulleh Shah’s poetry) was a Sufi of the Qadri order, who authored many Persian books on mysticism. He was from the Arian cast and grew vegetables to earn a living. Paradoxically, Bulleh Shah was of the much higher Syed caste. Yet, in defiance of tradition, Bulleh Shah accepted Shah Inayat as his spiritual master, and subordinated his life to his lower-caste murshid. Much of Bulleh Shah’s verses about love are addressed directly to his spiritual guide, Shah Inayat.
Bulleh Shah’s popularity stretches uniformly across Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims, to the point that much of the written material about this Muslim thinker is from Hindu and Sikh authors.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1281479
PUNJAB NOTES: Bulleh Shah: demystifying mystic fires
Mushtaq SoofiSeptember 02, 2016

Eighteenth century is on several counts considered a turning point in the history of India in general and that of Punjab in particular. During this period we discern early signs of end of an era and beginning of a new age that transformed the landscape of the subcontinent in a fundamental way. The beginning of the end of Mughal Empire signalled vanishing of the Muslim rule mainly established and sustained by central Asian Turks, last of who were the Chaghatais. The Chaghatais in a strange twist of fate came to be known as Mughals who, in fact, were their rivals but in Punjab they were called by their correct clannish name, “Chaugatta”.

“After the death of Aurangzeb early in the 18th century, the Mughal Empire started a gradual decline… struck to death by Muslim intolerance and Hindu revivals, destroyed also by internecine quarrels… The last blow was delivered by the great ruler of Persia, Nadir Shah, whose invasion and sack of Delhi destroyed what was left of the wealth, power and prestige of the Moghul Emperors. One by one, the various provinces, feudatory states, both Hindu and Muslim, rose against a disintegrating central power---. None of the new states was strong enough to unite India, and a last great war between the Marathas and invading Muslim Afghans shattered the former, leaving a profoundly divided India…,” writes Amaury De Riencourt in his ‘The Soul of India’.

In addition to the pervasive devastation caused by the brutal armies of Nadir Shah in 1739, Punjab suffered a great destruction at the hands of Afghan marauder Ahmad Shah Abdali also surnamed Durrani. In order to keep his newly established Afghan kingdom, poor and cash-starved, in a functional state, he desperately needed resources and there was no place better than India which offered him the prospect of getting what he wanted. Punjab, the traditional gateway to India, bore the brunt of his repeated attacks which were no less than seven from 1748 to 1767.

Bulleh Shah (1680- 1757) in his youth witnessed the withering away of regional and central authority in Lahore and Delhi. As a consequence of centrifugal forces, India became more vulnerable and thus attracted more invasions by the hostile foreign forces which in turn created further chaos, social disintegration and political anarchy.

Highly valuable and hair-raising description of Nadir Shah’s invasion can be glimpsed while reading the great epic poem “Nijabat di Var (also called Nadir Shah di Var)” by poet Nijabat with an acute sense of history and creative finesse underpinned by strong feelings of patriotism. His portrayal of interplay of diverse historical forces reveals the deep fault lines Indian society suffered from.

The level and intensity of carnage in Punjab in the wake of Ahmad Shah’s invasions can be gauged from this famous folk saying: “Khahda peeta laahi da, baaqi Ahmad shahi da (what you eat can be of benefit to you, the remaining will be taken away by Ahmad Shah)”. In his later years, Bulleh Shah saw the unrestrained plundering of his beloved Punjab by Nadir Shah and Ahmad Shah. It was not only the foreign forces that continued savagely mauling Punjab, the rising indigenous forces too added to the unbearable chaos and political uncertainty. Marathas, after battering the Mughul power, wreaked havoc on the north western India. They, in collusion with Adina Baig (an astute political player from Sharaqpur), and Sikh bands (Jathas) invaded Punjab. They captured and sacked Lahore in 1758. Timur Shah Durrani and Jahan Khan, the Afghan chiefs, had already fled in panic after the fall of Sirhind to Maratha army. “… Timur Shah Durrani, son of Ahmad Shah Durrani, and Jahan Khan have been pursued by our troops and their troops completely looted. Both of them have reached Peshawar with a few broken troops…We have decided to extend our rule to Kandahar”, writes Raghunathrao in his letter to Maratha Peshwa on May, 4, 1758 from Lahore. Furious Ahmad Shah retaliated by storming India yet again and completely smashed the Maratha forces led by Peshwa Balaji Baji Rao’s cousin in the Third Battle of Panipat.

Bulleh Shah, despite his mystic disposition, keenly observed uncanny political developments. He was neither impartial nor a spectator. He took sides lending his voice to expressing the miseries of the people who suffered at the hands of their tormentors, alien and indigenous, in a violent free-for-all. He had nothing but disdain for the old order which was going fast into free fall.

“The Mogul royals drank the hemlock/the brown-blanketed have shaped up as the rulers/all the nobles go around in silence/seeing them dislodged makes a good spectacle,” he says in one of his lyrics. The fire we see in his verses in fact reflects the conflagration that was all around him consuming all the things, small and big, sacred and profane. Punjab, his home, was on the boil. “Now hell has opened its bogs/Punjab has gone to the dogs/this hell is the nethermost hell/come see me once in a while,” (translation by Taufiq Rafat) that is how he describes the unbearable situation in his homeland.

Defiance, resentment, anger and anguish that give a haunting quality to Bulleh Shah’s poetry are not a result of deciphering of some arcane secrets but rather the product of his historical consciousness which makes him see the things as they are. He, aided by his intuitive faculty and imaginative sweep, goes a step further by unmasking the things in a bid to expose the reality that lies buried beneath them. His hugely enduring popularity rests on his bold and creative act of unmasking the masked. — [email protected]

Published in Dawn, September 2nd, 2016

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles