P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

Neil

Country flag
I would rather prefer to see IN acquiring MTA aircrafts for Maritime role. I know it sounds stupid but more money we are spending for foreign arms makes me go crazy.

To fill up numbers, We can buy IL-38s with updated avionics and EW systems. IL-38s are has higher enduracne and cheaper than the P-8s
MTA is light years away from induction...plus i highly doubt that MTA will be able to patrol skies considering its a transport aircraft...

IL might be cheaper than P8I but with all the hi tech stuffs that will go into IL it will cost approx the same...plus P8I are the best LRMR aircraft flying anywhere in the world...

noob101

Last Indian Navy Tu-142ME Overhaul Completed

Beriev Aircraft announced on December 5 that it has completed a major overhaul of the last of the Indian Air Force's eight Tu-142ME Bear-F long-range anti-submarine warfare aircraft. In additional to maintenance work, the aircraft have undergone a service life extension programme, including some equipment upgrading, which should see them remain in service until 2020.
The final aircraft, IN312, has now completed all necessary flight-testing after completion of the work and was formally delivered back to the Indian Navy at Beriev's facility in Taganrog. It was then flown back to India to rejoin Indian Naval Air Squadron 312 'Albatross' at Indian Naval Station Rajali, Arrakonam, which opereates all of the Indian Navy's Tu-142ME fleet.

LINK

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
ROE says you can sink sub if tubes are flooded. I did not know that.

mayfair

Naive question, but do we have the source codes for the onboard operating systems on all these fancy aircraft (P8I, C-17 and C-130J) we are purchasing from the US?

bhramos

Country flag
Indian Navy Gets First P-8I Radar | Aviation International News

Raytheon's Space and Airborne Systems has delivered the first APY-10 multi-mission radar to Boeing for installation in the P-8I maritime patrol aircraft for the Indian Navy. The company is under contract to deliver eight sets.

Although it shares a common designation with the radar being used in the U.S. Navy's P-8A Poseidon, the Indian APY-10 incorporates new modes. "The Indian government had different requirements [from the U.S. Navy]," said Tim Carey, Raytheon's vice president, ISR systems. "It's specifically customized for their needs."

JAISWAL

Boeing Looks To Expanded P-8I Program,
Other Indian Business
Source-- Boeing Looks To Expanded P-8I Program, Other Indian Business | idrw.org

Published- February 19, 2012 |
By admin
SOURCE:- AVIATION WEEK
Boeing is in talks with the Indian navy on a follow-on order of four P-8I maritime surveillance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft in addition to the eight ordered in 2009.
"We have been in discussion with the Indian navy on advancing the options,"
says Dennis Swanson,
vice president of international business development for Boeing Defense, Space & Security in India. "We are working with the customer [India] and the customer will decide when the time is appropriate. We stand by ready to engage with them."
The P-8I program was part of a $2.1 billion deal signed by India.
P-8Is are variants of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy.
The P-8I is likely to replace the Indian navy's fleet of Russian- origin Tu-142 and Il-38 aircraft for maritime reconnaissance purposes.
"The P-8I program is progressing extremely well ... and we are on track to start delivery of the aircraft within 2013," Swanson adds.
*.................. For full article visit above link

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
US Navy Moves Forward On Advanced Airborne Radar
By Bill Sweetman
Bill Sweetman/Aviation Week & Space Technology
June 18, 2012

A full-scale development program is underway to develop a version of the U. S. Navy's Boeing P-8A Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft (MPA), fitted with a long-range, high-resolution surveillance radar. It could provide a ready-made, Navy-funded replacement for the aging Joint Stars while potentially performing maritime targeting missions.

The Raytheon Advanced Airborne Sensor (AAS) project, which has been under contract since July 2009, has received Milestone B approval for development and production planning and is proceeding toward critical design review.

Boeing received a $277 million contract in February to modify the first P-8A, aircraft T-1, for aerodynamic and structural tests of the AAS radar pod, which is carried under the fuselage. Those tests are to be completed by August 2016. The radar itself, a much-modernized evolutionary development of the Raytheon APS-149 Littoral Surveillance Radar System (LSRS) is to be tested on a P-3C Orion, the current carrier for the APS-149. The value of the radar development contract has not been disclosed.

The Navy's goal is to acquire an undisclosed number of AAS systems and A-kits (parts that are attached to the aircraft to support the radar) and to configure some P-8As to carry the radar. Initial operational capability dates are also secret, but Boeing/Navy P-8A briefings suggest it is likely to follow the 2016 fielding of the P-8A's Increment 2 upgrade.

The P-8A radar plan has been in the works for almost a decade, but has been shrouded in secrecy because its predecessor, LSRS, was a black program—a classified and unacknowledged effort. To this day, although some AAS-related contracts have been announced, the program has no publicly visible budget. None of its elements has been competed or subjected to a formal analysis of alternatives process. AAS is managed by a one-program office, Advanced Sensor Technology, under the direction of Rear Adm. Don Gaddis, program executive officer for tactical aviation at Naval Air Systems Command.

LSRS itself was developed by the former Texas Instruments unit of Raytheon, which has historically provided Navy patrol aircraft with their search radars. The program started in the late 1990s or early 2000s and attained early operational capability in 2005, carried on P-3Cs flown by patrol squadron VP-46 out of NAS Whidbey Island, Wash. After the program was mentioned (apparently accidentally) in an unclassified document, and the modified aircraft had been photographed in transit to and from the Middle East, a small amount of information was released.

It is known that the LSRS P-3s have been extensively used both to support combat operations—not only for the Navy—and for tests and demonstrations, including tracking both land and maritime moving targets for engagements by stand-off missiles.

Based on active, electronically scanned array technology, LSRS has been assessed as far superior to the older APY-7 carried by Joint Stars. The antenna is double-sided, so the aircraft can scan simultaneously to left or right, and the radar can interleave ground moving target indication (GMTI) and synthetic aperture radar (SAR) modes rather than being restricted to one mode at a time.

AAS is expected to be more capable than LSRS, and will include new features such as NetTrack, developed by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, to track high-value targets—for example, key insurgent personnel and their vehicles—in high-clutter environments, by using high-range resolution radar measurements. AAS has what Boeing describes as "weapon-capability" accuracy, and Boeing illustrations and videos show aircraft directly striking ground targets with Small Diameter Bombs.

However, the system could also have potential for maritime operations. In 2004, the USAF used Joint Stars to guide datalinked weapons onto ship targets in the Resultant Fury exercise, using technology from the Affordable Moving Surface Target Engagement project. The latest Naval Aviation Vision report, published in March, discussed development of a follow-on strike weapon to replace Harpoon and SLAM-ER, which will be "net-enabled" and a maritime interdiction version of Tomahawk—both of which would be designed to exploit long-range, high-resolution targeting from other platforms.

Plans to develop this version of the P-8A started in 2003, before Boeing was selected as the winner of the Navy's Multi-mission Maritime Aircraft (MMA) program. At that time, Boeing changed the basis of its MMA design from the 737-700 to the longer-bodied 737-800 and introduced an aft weapon bay and two forward-fuselage centerline hardpoints. At the time, Boeing would only say the design was to accommodate a classified Navy capability, but in fact, it was to accommodate the antenna of the LSRS.

The inter-service politics of the program are intricate. The Navy is apparently willing to dedicate some of its P-8s to a largely overland, joint-service mission, possibly to maintain support for its large MPA force, while Boeing sees potential for selling up to 15 air-ground surveillance versions of the P-8A to the Air Force to replace Joint Stars. The USAF "is really fighting to not put any more money into large-platform GMTI," says one observer. "I can't honestly see how they win that fight in the long run. It's too easy for the Army to claim they absolutely need GMTI and the Air force must provide it."

Navy Moves Forward On Advanced Airborne Radar

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Naive question, but do we have the source codes for the onboard operating systems on all these fancy aircraft (P8I, C-17 and C-130J) we are purchasing from the US?
These Planes are tailor made for IN..

Those things we are not authorized to modify or deep access, IN simply replace with some other system..

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Boeing test flies India's first Poseidon next generation anti-submarine warfare and maritime patrol aircraft

Jul. 7, 2012 saw the first example of eight Boeing's P-8I (a variant of the US Navy's P-8A Poseidon) long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft India has ordered, make its first flight from Boeing Field in Seattle.

The three 3h 49m flight was designed to demonstrate the handling characteristics of the modified 737-800 and met all of the test objectives.

"Today's flight is another on-time milestone for the program. We'll start out testing the P-8I's mission system, which includes its sensors and communication systems. The team will then transition to 'stores' tests during which the P-8I will carry inert weapon shapes under its wings to demonstrate that the aircraft is capable of carrying all of the weapons the Indian Navy will use during regular missions" Leland Wight, Boeing's P-8I program manager for the P-8I program, said.

The second example has been built and will also enter testing in the coming weeks, with the first example to be delivered during 2013.

Boeing test flies India's first Poseidon next generation anti-submarine warfare and maritime patrol aircraft — theaviationist.com — Readability

aeroblogger

Boeing: 2nd Boeing P-8I Aircraft for India Completes 1st Flight
SEATTLE, July 17, 2012 -- The second Boeing [NYSE: BA] P-8I aircraft for the Indian Navy completed its initial flight on July 12, taking off from Renton Field at 3:29 p.m. and landing two hours and 14 minutes later at Boeing Field in Seattle. The P-8I, a derivative of the Boeing Next-Generation 737-800 commercial airplane, is the second of eight long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft Boeing is building for India.

"The program is on plan and the Indian Navy is excited for the P-8I to join its fleet," said Leland Wight, P-8I program manager for Boeing.

During the flight, Boeing test pilots performed airborne systems checks and took the P-8I to a maximum altitude of 41,000 feet prior to landing. Boeing will begin mission systems installation and checkout work on the aircraft in the coming weeks.

trackwhack

These planes are gonna use older Chinese subs as target practice. Those subs are PLAN diving coffins.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles