P-8I maritime patrol aircraft

mayfair

It seems there is no Transfer of technology for this aircraft since the deal was routed through US military Foreign sales program (FMS). I wonder if this is really useful for us.

Secondly, considering the commonality in data link components with those in the Indian armed forces, would it be possible to link P8I with our AEWCS and Air force and naval fighters? I mean P8Is cannot be expected to operate alone can they? There may be situation where additional air and or naval support may be required including Phalcon AWACS.

Does anyone have any information on how P8Is differ from US Navy P8As apart from Magnetic Anomaly detectors in P8I?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
P-8A Poseidon completes 1st in-flight test of mission systems

SEATTLE, 12 June 2010. Boeing [NYSE: BA] P-8A Poseidon aircraft T2 completed the program's first mission systems test flight in Seattle. T2 will be used to verify integrated mission systems performance during flights in Seattle and at Naval Air Station Patuxent River, Md.

During the three-hour flight, the joint Boeing and Navy test team exercised mission computing on all five operator workstations and demonstrated key systems -- including acoustics, mission planning, tactical data-link, communications, electronic support measures, and flight test instrumentation -- for the first time.

This successful flight moves us a step closer to getting the Poseidon and its next-generation radar and sensors into the hands of the warfighter," says Chuck Dabundo, Boeing vice president and P-8 program manager. "Future flights will demonstrate the state-of-the-art systems that will provide the Navy superior performance well into the 21st century."

T2 is one of five test aircraft that are being assembled and tested as part of the U.S. Navy System Development and Demonstration contract Boeing received in 2004. Boeing's T1 airworthiness-test aircraft entered flight testing in October 2009 and arrived at the Navy's Patuxent River facility in April 2010.

The Navy plans to purchase 117 P-8A anti-submarine warfare, anti-surface warfare, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance aircraft to replace its P-3 fleet. Initial operational capability is planned for 2013.

Source

nandu

Raytheon to Develop International Version of APY-10 Radar for P-8I

Raytheon Company has received a contract from Boeing to develop an international version of the APY-10 surveillance radar.

The long-range, multimission, maritime and overland surveillance radars will be installed on the P-8I aircraft Boeing is building for the Indian Navy. This is the first international contract award for Raytheon's APY-10 program, extending the company's considerable presence in the international maritime surveillance market.

"Our APY-10 radar will provide the Indian navy with proven, low-risk technology built on generations of successful Raytheon radar systems," said Tim Carey, vice president for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Systems. "We're committed to providing reliable systems that keep our customers safe and help them achieve mission success."

The APY-10 radar delivers accurate and actionable information in all weather, day and night, for anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare and for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance mission support.

A member of the industry team that Boeing leads for the U.S. Navy's P-8A program, Raytheon is also under contract with Boeing to provide six APY-10 systems and spares for the P-8A, of which the P-8I is a variant. Four of the six have been delivered, and Raytheon remains on or ahead of the production schedule.

http://theasiandefence.blogspot.com/2010/07/raytheon-to-develop-international.html#more

neo29

P-8i is the only line of defence during the 2013 to 2014 against submarines as most of IN submarines will be retired and new ones wont be ready to induct. Probably the right decision India made to purchase after Su-30 MKI.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
P-8i is the only line of defence during the 2013 to 2014 against submarines as most of IN submarines will be retired and new ones wont be ready to induct. Probably the right decision India made to purchase after Su-30 MKI.
Not exactly. IL38s will be still doing the best job & the ASW Helos are in place. P8Is will be a added muscle.

SHASH2K2

Not exactly. IL38s will be still doing the best job & the ASW Helos are in place. P8Is will be a added muscle.
will IL38 and Helos be as effective as p8I ? I dont think that their sensors and edurance will be as good as p8I .

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
will IL38 and Helos be as effective as p8I ? I dont think that their sensors and edurance will be as good as p8I .
If those as as effective as P8I, why would India buy them? Ofcourse P8I much more effective than IL38s. I was responding to the thought that 'P8I will only line of defense against subs during 2013-14'.....

Country flag
http://blog.seattlepi.com/aerospace/archives/215763.asp

Boeing finalizes design of 737-based P-8 for India

Boeing completed the final design review for the P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft for India on July 16, clearing the way to start final assembly, the company announced Monday.

The 737-based P-8I is a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the U.S. Navy. The review, held over five days with Indian Navy officers in Renton, Wash., locked in the design for the aircraft, radar, communications, navigation, mission computing, acoustics and sensors of the plane, and the ground and test support equipment.

"For P-8I, we are incorporating not only India-unique design features, but also India-built subsystems, so this agreement that the design addresses all customer requirements is a huge milestone," Leland Wight, Boeing's P-8I program manager, said in a news release. "It also leads us to the program's next stage: We are on track to start fabricating the P-8I's empennage section before the end of this year."

India is the first foreign customer for the P-8 and is scheduled to receive the first of eight P-8Is by January 2013.

The P-8I is tailored to India's needs, Vivek Lall, India country lead for Boeing Defense, Space & Security, said in the release. "It has the reach and capability to defend India's vast coastline and maritime waters."

Country flag
http://sify.com/news/boeing-complet...are-plane-news-international-kh0tkeidjfd.html

Boeing completes design review for India's naval warfare plane

Boeing has successfully completed the final design review (FDR) for P-8I, a long-range maritime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare aircraft that India is acquiring as part of a $2.1 billion deal for eight such planes.

The Indian Navy is the first international customer for P-8I, based on the Boeing 737 commercial airplane, a variant of the P-8A Poseidon that Boeing is developing for the US Navy.

Completion of the FDR on July 16 locks in the design for the aircraft, radar, communications, navigation, mission computing, acoustics and sensors, as well as the ground and test support equipment, Boeing announced in Seattle Monday.

It also paves the way for the programme to begin assembling the first P-8I aircraft, the St. Louis headquartered-Boeing Defence, Space & Security, said.

'For P-8I, we are incorporating not only India-unique design features, but also India-built subsystems, so this agreement that the design addresses all customer requirements is a huge milestone,' said Leland Wight, P-8I programme manager for Boeing.

'It also leads us to the programme's next stage: We are on track to start fabricating the P-8I's empennage section before the end of this year.'

During the five-day FDR held in Renton, Washington, Indian Navy officers met with Boeing representatives from Defence, Space & Security and Commercial Airplanes to review relevant design information and performance against specifications.

'The P-8I's unique capabilities are tailored to India's maritime-patrol requirements. It has the reach and capability to defend India's vast coastline and maritime waters,' said Vivek Lall, India country lead, Boeing Defence, Space and Security.

Boeing will deliver the first P-8I to India within 48 months of the original contract signing in January 2009 and the remaining seven by 2015.

The Defence, Space & Security unit of the Boeing Company is a $34 billion business, one of the world's largest defence, space and security businesses, and the world's largest and most versatile manufacturer of military aircraft.

sob

Mod
Country flag
this is one of the best decisions taken by the Govt in acquiring new technology and muscle for our forces. Instead of buying dated technology in this case India will be getting the latest cutting edge technology.

pankaj nema

Country flag
The CISMOA problem has not yet been resolved.
If we dont sign it the Americans wont put some latest equipment in it .Then how capable these planes are , nobody knows .Both sides are dragging their feet.
If we sign it and Americans put some equipment ,which they can use it to
1. spy on us or
2. disable the plane ,Then God help India

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The CISMOA problem has not yet been resolved.
If we dont sign it the Americans wont put some latest equipment in it .Then how capable these planes are , nobody knows .Both sides are dragging their feet.
If we sign it and Americans put some equipment ,which they can use it to
1. spy on us or
2. disable the plane ,Then God help India
The bolded doesn't happen. If GOI doesn't sign CISMOA/LSA then what will happen is P8I will miss some critical electronic components. Nothing else than that.

Patriot

Country flag
India, US defence deal set to get bigger
By admin at 30 September, 2010, 3:15 pm

BY: TNN
India's biggest- ever defence deal inked with US till now is all set to get bigger. Plans are virtually final now to order another four P-8I Poseidon long-range maritime patrol aircraft to add to the eight already contracted under the $2.1 billion deal inked last year. Defence ministry sources say the project to acquire four more Boeing P-8I aircraft will be taken up for approval in the meeting of the defence acquisitions council, headed by A K Antony, on October 8.

It will be held in the backdrop of the recent visits of Antony and Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma to US. "The new P-8Is will cost the same as each of the eight ordered in January 2009, without any cost escalation. There will also be similar offsets requirements. In the original $2.1-billion contract, the offsets were valued over $600 million," said a source.

India is going in for the 12 P-8Is to plug huge gaps in its maritime snooping capabilities in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), which has become heavily militarised with even China increasingly making strategic forays into the region.

At present, Navy has a woefully-inadequate maritime reconnaissance fleet of eight ageing Russian Tupolev-142M turboprops and five upgraded Ilyushin-38SD aircraft, a dozen Israeli Heron and Searcher-II spy drones, and a few Dornier-228 squadrons.

Based on the Boeing 737 commercial airliners with cruise speeds of 445 knots, the P-8Is will not undertake just surveillance missions. They will also be capable of deadly anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare, armed as they will be with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon missiles.

They will have "a mission radius" of 600 nautical miles, with 5.5 hours on-station loitering time, and 1,200 nautical miles, with 4 hours on station. With mid-air refuelling, their operational radius will further go up. The first of the eight original P-8Is is slated to be inducted by early-2013, with the others following by 2016. The US Navy, too, will begin inducting the first lot of its 117 P-8A multi-mission maritime aircraft around the same time.

P-8Is are being customised to Indian naval requirements, with communication, electronic warfare and other systems being sourced from India. For instance, defence PSU Bharat Electronics is delivering Data Link-II, a communication system to enable rapid exchange of information among Indian warships, submarines aircraft and shore establishments, for the P-8Is to Boeing. There is, however, the question of India having not yet inked the Communication Interoperability and Security Memorandum Agreement (CISMOA) being pushed by the US as "a sensitive technology-enabler" for P-8I and other arms procurements.

But MoD and Navy are not too worried. Antony, in fact, told his American counterpart Robert Gates in Washington on Tuesday that while India appreciated the US government's view that pacts like CISMOA would "facilitate access to high technologies", there were still some concerns which needed to be addressed.

black eagle

Country flag
India, US defence deal set to get bigger
By admin at 30 September, 2010, 3:15 pm

BY: TNN
India's biggest- ever defence deal inked with US till now is all set to get bigger. Plans are virtually final now to order another four P-8I Poseidon long-range maritime patrol aircraft to add to the eight already contracted under the $2.1 billion deal inked last year. Defence ministry sources say the project to acquire four more Boeing P-8I aircraft will be taken up for approval in the meeting of the defence acquisitions council, headed by A K Antony, on October 8.

as far as i recall, the plan previously was to have a follow-on order of 6 more aircrafts. They seem to have reduced the quantity. Just as they did with the Phalcon AWACS. correct me if i am wrong.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I think that the entire non-fighter consortium goes to USA & Russians 50-50 in the form of Tejas engines, P8s, additional MKIs etc so that there's enough cushion for both the countries that a European maker is selected for MRCA. Speaking of MRCA, I wonder whether they've made a decision already or not. 6 years to decide a fighter!!...thch!

Patriot

Country flag
P-8I to Boost for Indian Navy's Sealift, Snooping Capabilities

NEW DELHI: In a strong booster dose to India's maritime reconnaissance and strategic sea-lift capabilities, the defence ministry has cleared the acquisition of four long-range surveillance aircraft and four big amphibious assault warships for the Navy.

MoD sources say the two big naval projects, whose cumulative worth is Rs 20,600 crore, were cleared by the defence acquisitions council, chaired by A K Antony, on Monday afternoon.

The four new aircraft will be the P-8I Poseidon long-range maritime patrol aircraft, which will add to the eight such planes already contracted from Boeing under the $2.1-billion deal inked in January 2009. It will take this biggest-ever Indo-US defence deal till date past the $3-billion mark, making it even bigger, as was first reported by TOI last month.

The entire project to acquire the four amphibious warfare ships, called Landing Platform Docks (LPDs) in naval lingo, will be worth around Rs 16,000 crore.

The LPD project will be executed under the "buy and make" category of the Defence Procurement Procedure, which basically involves licensed indigenous manufacture in collaboration with a foreign manufacturer.

"At least two of the LPDs will be constructed at Hindustan Shipyard Ltd (HSL) at Visakhapatnam, which was transferred from the shipping ministry to the defence ministry last year to meet national security requirements of building strategic vessels," said a source.

Both the P-8Is and the LPDs are crucial to the Navy's long-term strategic plans. The 12 P-8I aircraft, the first of which is slated for induction by early 2013, will help India plug the existing gaps in its surveillance of the entire Indian Ocean Region.

Armed with torpedoes, depth bombs and Harpoon missiles, apart from being packed with long-range radars and sensors, the P-8Is will also boost its anti-warship and anti-submarine warfare capabilities.

The LPDs will significantly augment Navy's capacity to transport infantry battalions, with all their equipment, over long distances and land them on foreign shores. Apart from bolstering India's "blue-water capabilities", they can also be deployed for disaster relief operations to evacuate people or transport material.

The Navy learnt the worth of large LPDs with the 2007 induction of the second-hand 16,900-tonne USS Trenton, rechristened INS Jalashwa, acquired from the US along with its six on-board UH-3H helicopters and four landing craft for $92.5 million.

The 173-metre-long INS Jalashwa can be gauged from the fact it's the second-largest Indian warship after the 28,000-tonne aircraft carrier INS Viraat.

P-8I to Boost for Indian Navy’s Sealift, Snooping Capabilities | Navy News at DefenseTalk

Patriot

Country flag

Telephonics Corp to Supply Aft Radar for India's Boeing P-8i Maritime Patrol Aircraft

Telephonics Corporation, a wholly owned subsidiary of Griffon Corporation, announced today that its Radar Systems Division has received a contract from The Boeing Company to supply APS-143C(V)3 Multi-Mode Radar (MMR) for India's P-8i aircraft. The contract includes systems to support (8) P-8i Aft Radar installations integration and support services.

"We are very pleased to have been selected for this important program," said Kevin McSweeney, President of the Radar Systems Division. "We are looking forward to supporting Boeing on this program and to further serving the Indian Defence Force on future programs."

The Telephonics APS-143C(V)3 has become the performance standard in maritime patrol aircraft and multi-mission maritime helicopters. In addition to the aft radar on the P-8i, the APS-143C(V)3 is performing on the USCG HC-144A Maritime Patrol Aircraft, and HU-25D Falcon Jet. The APS-143 is featured on most international S-70 Naval Hawk helicopters and certain NH-90, Super Lynx and other Maritime Helicopters.

Telephonics' high-technology engineering and manufacturing capabilities provide integrated information, communication and sensor system solutions to military and commercial markets worldwide. Telephonics specializes in aircraft intercommunication systems, wireless communication systems, radars, identification friend or foe products, integrated security systems, air traffic management systems, aerospace electronics, and the performance of threat and radar system analyses.

Griffon Corporation (the "Company" or "Griffon"), headquartered in New York, N.Y., is a diversified management and holding company that conducts business through wholly-owned subsidiaries. The Company oversees the operations of its subsidiaries, allocates resources among them and manages their capital structures. The Company provides direction and assistance to its subsidiaries in connection with acquisition and growth opportunities as well as in connection with divestitures. Griffon also seeks out, evaluates and, when appropriate, will acquire additional businesses that offer potentially attractive returns on capital to further diversify itself.

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4828

Patriot

Country flag
Indian Navy Boeing P-8 Poseidon Deal Worth USD 2.13 billion

A contract for procurement of eight Boeing P-8 Poseidon maritime reconnaissance air crafts for the Indian Navy was signed with Boeing, USA on January 01, 2009 at a cost of USD 2.1375 billion. The security environment is constantly reviewed and steps are taken to ensure that the Armed Forces are fully equipped to meet the security challenges and ensure the safety and security of the country.

This information was given by Defence Minister Shri AK Antony in a written reply to Shri P Rajeeve in Rajya Sabha today.

The Boeing P-8 Poseidon (formerly the Multimission Maritime Aircraft or MMA) is a military aircraft currently being developed for the United States Navy. It is intended to conduct anti-submarine warfare and shipping interdiction and to engage in an electronic intelligence (ELINT) role. This will involve carrying torpedoes, depth charges, AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, and other weapons.

It will also be able to drop and monitor sonobuoys. It is designed to operate in conjunction with the Broad Area Maritime Surveillance unmanned aerial vehicle. The P-8 is being developed by Boeing's Defense, Space, & Security division from the 737-800.

http://www.india-defence.com/reports-4856

SHASH2K2

The US Defense Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA) has issued a notification to the US Congress for the possible Foreign Military Sale of '21 AGM-84L Harpoon Block II Missiles and associated equipment, parts and logistical support for a complete package worth approximately $200 million'.

The DSCA notification also listed as part of the sale, '5 ATM-84L Harpoon Block II Training Missiles, Captive Air Training Missiles, containers, spare and repair parts, support and test equipment, publications and technical documentation, personnel training and training equipment, U.S. Government and contractor representatives’ technical assistance, engineering and logistics support services, and other related elements of logistics support'.

While earlier, the Indian Air Force (IAF) had acquired 24 Harpoon Block II missiles for its Jaguar aircraft, the DSCA says this sale is intended for the P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft that the Indian Navy had ordered in January, 2009.

The prime contractors for this sale will be Boeing and Delex Systems Incorporated. There are no known, related potential offset agreements so far.

SHASH2K2

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a 'diet' version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week.

Boeing has already begun work on the first of eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft to be supplied to the Indian Navy, in a deal concluded in the beginning of 2009 at a cost of US $ 2.1 billion.

Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare.

The RFI also asks vendors if the aircraft can carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometers, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours.

It also specifies a requirement that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod.
As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like, IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal – BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles