Origins of the Gurjara Pratiharas

Chimaji Appa

I have recently come across this paper online, while I was researching about the Gurjara-Pratiharas:

He makes several points which I want to address:
*He claims that the smoking gun of the Hunnic origin lies in the fact that the Pratiharas used “Indo-Sassanian coinage”, which was introduced by the Hunnic invasions of India. This theory makes absolutely no sense because the Pala Empire also used Sassanian styles of coins. Furthermore, the logic that the Pratiharas used the Huna coins makes them hunas can also be applied to the Hunas themselves using Sassanian coinage makes them Sassanids, which we obviously know is not true. He goes on to claim that “peacock” was a major part of the Hunnic coinages, but fails to understand that the Guptas and Harshavardhanna also used peacock coinage.
*He claims that the use of the title “Mihira” in both Mihirakula and Mihira Bhoja. He also seems to be forgetting that one of the courtiers of Yashodharman, the man who spanked Mihirakula back to Kashmir, was named “Varahamihira”. To further to show how nonsensical this claim is, by his logic, Rudrasena of the Vakatakas must be a Scythian becuase the only other king I am aware of that used “Rudrasena” in his name was the Saka king (correct me if I am mistaken). Let’s not forget about Harsha of Kashmir, who is definitely (by his logic) a descendant of Harshavardhanna!
* He also mentions that the worship of Varaha between Toramana and Mihira Bhoja must certainly mean Mihira Bhoja was a Hun. He also seems to be forgetting that Mihirakula was actually a Shaivite. The point here is that anyone can worship whichever diety they want to, the Madhwa Brahmins also worship Varaha, but the Madhwa Brahmins are in South India, and we know that the Hunas under Tormana were finally stopped by the Malavas in Malwa.

The funny part is, he goes on to claim the Chalukyas of Vatapi were actually a Huna group that moved south(Lol) and tries to claim that the Paramaras were Huns becuase a fake Potohari Rajput group called the “Hoons” claim descent from a Panwar/Paramar ruler. He then goes on to make erroneous claims that “Mihirakula built Gwalior and Chittor forts” and tries to connect different Gujjar “gotras” with the Huns of Hungary (LOL).

He even failed to refute the various contemporary sources that clearly mention the Gurjara peoples as different from the Hunas. I would actually recommend y’all to read this article for a good little laugh, but please list any of the important points I forgot to mention and or refute. I would like to hear some other opinions about this.

EDIT: This is directly from my historum (@dagoat1000)

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles