Oh No, Another twelve years of Vladimir Putin

Do you want to see Vladimir Putin back as the President?

• Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin

Votes: 16 100.0%
  • Dmitry Anatolyevich Medvedev

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gennady Andreyevich Zyuganov

• Mikhail Sergeyevich Gorbachev

• Garry Kimovich Kasparov

• None of the above

• Total voters

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Read the reactions in Western media after Vladimir Putin placed himself as presidential candidate in a well organized backroom deal this weekend.

"Oh No, Another Twelve Years of Vladimir Putin" is the headline Forbes published after Dmitri Medvedev officially suggested that Putin should be United Russia's candidate to next year's presidential election.

Forbes continues:
"This decision does not bode well for Russia, the West, or for those who wish to do business in Russia. In fact, nothing much will change. Only the election of a new president could change the status quo, and this is not going to happen."
-- Forbes --

The Washington Post writes in an editorial that the announcement is bad news for the Obama administration that invested heavily in the relationship with Mr. Medvedev. But the paper does not only think Putin's return is bad news for President Obama:

"It is bad news for Russia's neighboring countries, such as Georgia and Ukraine, whose independence Mr. Putin views as a temporary and irritating historical aberration. Most of all, it's bad news for the Russian people, who face corruption and stagnation persisting perhaps — if Mr. Putin now seeks, like Stalin, to rule for life — as long as their president."
-- The Washington Post --

"The manner of Mr. Putin's return both shows his political omnipotence and undermines the existence of political institutions in favour of a cult of personality set to flourish for 12 more years."
-- The Financial Times --

"The dream of a post-Communist democracy in Russia faded years ago, but this weekend the Kremlin made it official."
-- The Wall Street Journal --

"There is no prospect now of any UK-Russian thaw, and Russia itself faces a long period of political and economic stagnation."
-- The Guardian--

"Saturday afternoon, at a political rally in Moscow's Luzhniki Sports Palace, Russia's two-decade experiment with democracy came to an end. A different, more authoritarian, system with only a mirage of choice, is now firmly in place."
-- The Globe and Mail --

"Now that the central question of Russian leadership is answered, the political tension is gone. The legislative and presidential elections are already decided. Yet the answers to the important questions around Russia's future are even less certain than before. "
-- Deutsche Welle --

-----

West critical over Putin's another term. Can Russia do better than this? Or it is just western frustration due to strong leadership in russia? How do you view it?

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
What's wrong with it? Putin is a good leader and Russia benefited under his leadership. He has genuine popular support, and frankly there are no better candidates at present.

As for the number of terms he might serve, there are plenty of Western European leaders who have been in power for a much longer time than Putin. No one in the West was upset by Helmut Kohl, were they?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Putin is the reincarnation of the Soviet Union and Russian pride.

And Russians are a proud lot.

In today's turmoil in India, even if the ailing ABV came back, he would win hands down given the chaos and thieving that is being exposed. Even those who are against all this Hinduvta pizazz will vote him in since all want a country that is moving in some direction and not in multi-direction as is being observed.

Likewise, Putin!

The same may not be true for Advani!

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I think it has more to do with being a nationalist statesman than a very successful politician. Is Putin clean? No.

If east europeans were dreaming of loose russia, then its time to wake up & find energy options soon.

What does it mean for India? Revisiting strategic ties taking into account Astan? Since Karzai will soon sign agreements with India making it astan's first strategic ties with any country, its imperative to drag russia when kremlin does not favor India getting aggressive in central asia.

As for US, well the missile shield plan is not going to go smooth. Obama should take note.

Last edited:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It's good news for France, much more opportunity to sell weapons and modernise their economy.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
It is just western frustration due to strong leadership in Russia.

What the west expected when Soviet Union collapsed is that it would crumble in several more bits of tinier sizes than how it did. Russia is still a very very large country by area, but more importantly, Russians are sitting on a planet-load of hydrocarbon and mineral deposits. It is in western interests that it has access to them at the least possible price. Instability is a route to that.

What Putin more or less succeeded in was organizing Russia's tycoons to do business with the west, and not let them turn into warlords. That is the west's biggest irritation.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
A strong russia is always a good sign for us.

Not only would they keep the westerners in check but also china to some extent.

pmaitra

May I suggest and request someone opening a poll on how many in DFI want to see Vladimir Putin back as the President? How about the following persons in the poll list?
  • None of the above
The following link might help. I just added two extra names to see how people think:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_presidential_election,_2012

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
May I suggest and request someone opening a poll on how many in DFI want to see Vladimir Putin back as the President? How about the following persons in the poll list?
  • None of the above
The following link might help. I just added two extra names to see how people think:
Russian presidential election, 2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Out of that list, Putin is by far the best. I personally like Sergei Lavrov, but he has no chance of becoming president.

pmaitra

^^ Thanks for responding. I hope someone opens a poll. I tried to fiddle with it but I am not sure I can do it. :(

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is just western frustration due to strong leadership in Russia.

What the west expected when Soviet Union collapsed is that it would crumble in several more bits of tinier sizes than how it did. Russia is still a very very large country by area, but more importantly, Russians are sitting on a planet-load of hydrocarbon and mineral deposits. It is in western interests that it has access to them at the least possible price. Instability is a route to that.

What Putin more or less succeeded in was organizing Russia's tycoons to do business with the west, and not let them turn into warlords. That is the west's biggest irritation.
A very valid observation.

Gorbachev and Yeltsin were the West's Apple of the Eye since the first named wanted to be greater than Russia itself, while the next one was a drunk and so he did not know what he was doing. Ideal for the West to run through Russia by massaging the first named's ego and filling up the glass for the second named.

Putin showed that he was really an Alphamale!

Last edited:

Param

Putin would be good for Russia, would he be good for India?
We don't live in the cold war era and India is much closer to the US today. And obviously the Russians do not like that. Putin is a no nonsense guy and is going to place Russian interests above ties with India.

No chance for Gorbachev, he is bad for both Russia and India. The west Could even award him a second Nobel peace prize if he comes to power.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
How long before a yank comes along and votes for gorbachev ?

pmaitra

So far all have voted for Vladimir Putin.

Of course, Gorbachev was the darling of the west whose intentions, no matter how good, destroyed the USSR.

I guess one will have his own considerations when voting. Russia, IMHO, needs a strong leadership. Putin, however, would do good not to reverse many of the reforms made by Medvedev in ushering in freedom into Russian society. Their biggest problem right now is corruption and mafiadom.

Reactions: nrj

captonjohn

Country flag
I don't see anything wrong in Putin's comeback as Russian President. He is a strong leader and has ability to influence people, even he is much stronger leader than any European leadership and that may be the reason west is not happy with Putin's comeback.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles