Obama's India Visit

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Transit facilities can be accorded provided all what India wants is OKayed by the US.

No bases.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
There is this interesting aspect worth note.

COST CONTROL
Abhijit Bhattacharyya

One sincerely hopes that what one is writing today is subsequently proved wrong, thereby giving India the right signal pertaining to the purchase of high-end defence hardware from foreign countries. Owing to the inability of the indigenous defence industry to meet the demands of the Indian armed forces, approximately 70 per cent of our military hardware is imported. As Western manufacturers face the grim reality of drastic reductions in the military expenditure of richer nations, the sellers may have to give a fresh chase to potentially prosperous customers like India. In this situation, when choices are available to the buyer rather than to the seller, India should have been able to make a good bargain, making the sellers offer their products at a price lower than the usual contract price. However, that does not seem to be happening.

Let us study the example of American military equipment on sale, offered to, or contracted with India. In 2007, India made a deal with Lockheed Martin for the supply of 06C-130J Hercules medium multirole (transport) aircraft worth $1.02 billion under the foreign military or government sales programme. According to Military Balance 2010, these aircraft are "for special forces operations configuration with AN/AAR-47 missile approach warning system and radar-warning receivers".

Obviously, there appears to be some special stuff embedded in the aircraft that makes the price of each flying machine $170 million. However, it appears from Jane's All the World's Aircraft 2010-2011 that the same type of aircraft was sold to Australia in 1995 for $55 million — the "baseline price of C-130J for US Air Force [was] quoted as US $67 million in early 2002", and there was a "multilayer procurement of 40 C-130J-30s for the US Air Force [at a ] unit price [of] US $67.5 million".

Bottom line

Again, in 2003, the contract for one aircraft for the Air Force Reserve Command was worth $70.5 million. This disparity of more than $100 million per aircraft between Australia and the United States of America on one hand and India on the other is intriguing. Why did the price of the same type of aircraft shoot up so high when offered to India?

Initially, in early 2002, potential buyers were expected to be Australia, Canada and Italy, which were to begin negotiations "concerning cost and work-sharing aspects of the collaborative venture". However, all "three countries withdrew by mid-2005". Not unexpectedly, after the retreat of the three developed nations, the "early" entry of India took place, with a $2.1 billion-order for an aircraft which was still far (five years) away from the development and production line. The US was in dire need of cost or risk sharing partners, and it missed the bus. Instead, it got a $2.1 billion moneybag in New Delhi.

However, there is no doubt that American aircraft continue to be top-class, which, understandably, is why overseas clients want it. As Americans are conscious of the unmatched quality of their product, they tend to be difficult at times and try to arm-twist those customers who dare to have a contrary view. And here lies the danger for India as a customer of US military aircraft. India may have to contend with extreme reluctance on the part of the US to part with its "latest and best technology".

Successive US governments have acknowledged the existence of rigid export controls but have failed to loosen the checks owing to opposition from the US Congress. Even President Barack Obama may not be able to change this practice. Hence, India will have to remember the ground realities of cost, quality and control checks of the US aviation when it tries to acquire aircraft for the Indian air force.

Check the cost of deal vs those for Allies

SHASH2K2

Sir it looks like these American equipments are overpriced and we are being robbed . I am not sure if price quoted to India include maintenance or some other factors but if we compare it with other similar deals its very costly. I am not sue if they are really worth such a high price. Moreover given kind of opposition we see to signing Cismoa or beca I donot think we will go for Superhornet unless USA drops their stand on these terms and condition if we donto sign them we will be getting planes that are useless. Hope we get European planes.

SHASH2K2

US President Barack Obama said on Wednesday he sees see India as a cornerstone of America's engagement in Asia. "I see India as a cornerstone of America's engagement in Asia," he told PTI.

"A series of announcements are expected to be made during my visit,"said Obama.

"There will be big-ticket items on the agenda with PM Manmohan Singh," the US President said.

Issues relating to US curbs on dual-use technology exports to India and India's quest for permanent membership of UN Security Council "are very difficult and complicated", Obama said.

Obama on outsourcing: India should give US companies the same access to their markets that US gives.

Obama on India's Nuclear Liability Act: US has concerns over it and the governments of the two countries are working together to resolve them.

Obama on 26/11: Pakistan has a special responsibility to bring the perpetrators of Mumbai terror attacks to justice "transparently, fully, and urgently".

Obama on PM: Manmohan Singh is one of the most extraordinary leaders I have met. I support India's rise as a global power, says the US President.

so one of our expectation is already denied even before trip has started. Lets wait and watch .

anoop_mig25

Country flag
so they are not going to lift ban on sales of dual-use technology exports to India :angry_10::angry_10: good then they should forget everthing from nuclear reactors to fighter planes

SHASH2K2

so they are not going to lift ban on sales of dual-use technology exports to India :angry_10::angry_10: good then they should forget everthing from nuclear reactors to fighter planes
I am happy. we should go for Europe and french for hi tech stuffs. They are still better than our neighbors and will serve our purpose. will will have peace of mind as well due to less fear of interference.

ganesh177

Country flag
With "no" to our major wishlist, i dunno what is left for obama to visit in india, except being a leisure trip.
Moron has set the negative tide for his visit, even before it commences. I am disappointed already, and kills all the excitement.
I hope congress babu's dont bend down to sign up for his wishlist as well.

SHASH2K2

With "no" to our major wishlist, i dunno what is left for obama to visit in india, except being a leisure trip.
Moron has set the negative tide for his visit, even before it commences. I am disappointed already, and kills all the excitement.
I hope congress babu's dont bend down to sign up for his wishlist as well.
He has a lot to gain from this trip. He will sign deals for American weapons for India. he will force us to modify nuclear liability bill to allow American companies to do business. He will stop outsourcing from America and will ask us to open our market for USA companies. We will be forced to open our agricultural sector . He is here to show to American people that he care for them and he is here to protect American interest.

SHASH2K2

Poor coconut farmers
Coconuts removed in India ahead of Obama visit

Officials in the Indian city of Mumbai (Bombay) have taken extraordinary measures to protect US President Barack Obama ahead of his visit.

In their effort to provide maximum security in the run-up to his visit on Friday, they have removed coconuts which may fall on his head from trees.

All coconuts around the city's Gandhi museum have now been cut down, an official told the BBC.

Every year in India people are injured or even killed by falling coconuts.
'Why take a chance?'

Mani Bhavan, where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during his freedom struggle against the British, is among five places the US president is visiting apart from a school, college and hotels attacked by Islamic militants in 2008.

"We told the authorities to remove the dry coconuts from trees near the building. Why take a chance?" Mani Bhavan's executive secretary, Meghshyam Ajgaonkar, told the BBC.

Mahatma Gandhi has been cited by the president as an inspiration to him - he has a portrait of the independence leader in his senate office.

President Obama once famously said that he would like to have had dinner with Mr Gandhi.
President Barack Obama No stone has been left unturned by the authorities to guarantee Mr Obama's safety

Heavy security arrangements and preparations are going on in the city which also celebrates the religious festival of lights, Diwali, during the president's visit.

Mani Bhavan is a two-storey building in south Mumbai, housing a museum, a research centre and a room where Mahatma Gandhi stayed. Today it is a tourist attraction.

Mr Ajgaonkar said the building was ready to receive the president and had been recently painted and renovated.

It will be closed on 5 and 6 November for security reasons.

Last week American security officers inspected Mani Bhavan and its surroundings along with other places the president is likely to visit.

Parthy

Air Warrior
Really? Yet you have no issue with the social and political "invasion" of Indians into the West, particularly the USA? How about the benefits of American and Western outsourcing thanks to their open market policies guaranteed by their respective governments? What about the rapidly growing technical input from the West benefiting a vast array of industries and institutions in India such as higher education, agriculture, energy, electronics heavy industry etc. etc.? Let's not even get into information technology.

Maybe it might be worth reassessing the question... who exactly is "invading" whom here?
Friend! actually its a new way of invasion.. In history, they used colonization for invading a country and sucking the natural resource by establishing a pre-dominant rule in India.. They slaved our people for their benefit...

British colonization and ambition over conquering the world was the starting point for all cause... This is the main reason Chinese still hate western (Could be an O.T. but has to to mention)

Now, the trend has changed and the world has grown. And they know how to still dominate the world. They outsourced the jobs to developing nations and they rule us remotely. (I do agree that it helped our nation's growth). But here, who is playing the king's role?? Do you object if I say its Western??

Parthy

Air Warrior
Obama non-committal on permanent UNSC seat for India, dual-use exports

WASHINGTON: Ahead of his visit, President Barack Obama on Wednesday described India as a "cornerstone" of US engagement in Asia, but held out no assurances on key issues --support for India's permanent membership of the UN Security Council and ending curbs on export of dual-use technology.

Outlining the objectives of his three-day maiden trip beginning Saturday, Obama said that building "a true strategic partnership" with India had been one of his "highest foreign policy priorities" since he assumed office in January last year.

The visit would give him an opportunity to work with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to bring Indo-US cooperation on a broad range of issues "to a new level", he told PTI.

The Indo-US partnership "is based on both our shared values and our shared interests, and for these reasons, I welcome and support India's rise as a global power", the president said.

India's rise "is in the best interests of both the countries (India and the US), of the region and the world", he said.

The president answered a wide range of questions covering contentious issues like US curbs on export of dual-use technology items, outsourcing, UNSC membership and Pakistan's failure to take action against perpetrators of 26/11 attacks.

Asked about the possibility of his announcing lifting of curbs on export of dual-use technology items and more concrete support for India's permanent membership of UNSC, Obama described the two issues as "very difficult and complicated".

"Our teams continue to work hard to reach an agreement that strengthens the international non-proliferation system while treating India in a manner that is consistent with our strategic partnership," he said in a reference to export restrictions that cover items which have both peaceful and military usage.

Without committing himself to a firmer support for India's bid for permanent seat in UNSC, Obama said, "I do also expect to discuss India's role as an actor on the global stage during my visit."

When told that there did not seem to be any "big ticket items" on the agenda, Obama responded, "I do not want to pre-empt the announcements that the Prime Minister and I will make while I am in India.

"I think you can expect a series of announcements on how we are going to deepen and broaden our cooperation on a range of things that will have a direct and very positive impact on millions of people both in India and the United States.

"There will be big items on the agenda, and -- just as importantly -- I believe that we will build an even stronger foundation for the US-India partnership going forward."

The president went on to emphasise that Indo-US relationship "now goes well beyond any one particular issue".

He said, "if you look at the breadth of everything we are working on now -- from economic engagement to counter terrorism and security cooperation, from clean energy to development .. it goes well beyond the type of cooperation that we pursued just a few years ago."

All this indicated "the enormously positive trajectory of US-India relations", Obama said.

Outlining his vision of the relationship between the two countries, the president said, "my vision is a US-India partnership in which we work together to shape a more secure, stable, and just world.

"My visit gives me an opportunity to experience first hand your fascinating country, discuss issues of mutual concern with my friend Prime Minister Singh, and work with him to bring our cooperation on a broad range of issues to a new level.

"It is also important that I am visiting India as the first stop on a major trip to Asia, as I see India as a cornerstone of America's engagement in Asia, just as it is fundamental to our engagement in multilateral forums like the G-20.

"To me, the US and India share an indispensable partnership, one that has benefits for both our countries and the world."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...exports/articleshow/6866149.cms#ixzz14EbSYbOE

Obama don't want to see India as a Super Power - Straight forward truth.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Friend! actually its a new way of invasion.. In history, they used colonization for invading a country and sucking the natural resource by establishing a pre-dominant rule in India.. They slaved our people for their benefit...

British colonization and ambition over conquering the world was the starting point for all cause... This is the main reason Chinese still hate western (Could be an O.T. but has to to mention)

Now, the trend has changed and the world has grown. And they know how to still dominate the world. They outsourced the jobs to developing nations and they rule us remotely. (I do agree that it helped our nation's growth). But here, who is playing the king's role?? Do you object if I say its Western??
Advanced societies dominate and/or conquer weaker ones, that is life. This is also the reason why stronger Indian kings invaded and ruled the weaker kingdoms before they were defeated and conquered by more advanced and stronger forces. The British expansion is not the 'starting point' of anything because this cycle predates them. The reason the West plays the 'king's role' is because they are industrialized and advanced in most aspects of economics and social growth which gives them an edge over all those who aren't. The Chinese nationalist "hate the West" view is just as absurd considering they owe their entire rise to the West.

It is also worth noting that the primary reason for the stunting and regression of the East was because of the inward and insular view they adopted. Even in modern times the "swadeshi"- we will be self sufficient'- cause didn't do anything worthwhile. Instead it gave rise to pathetic industries with negative productivity and a poor attitude toward the consumer that made India look like a joke. It was only with the help of the West (this includes all the Indians who obtained education and experience from the West) that India was able to change its fortunes around and enjoy the benefits of globalization. So there's more to this than just a simple admission of "(I do agree that it helped our nation's growth)."

The future lies in globalization, trade, cooperation and increasing engagement. Your outlook is extremely parochial and defies all of these things; it is also seeped in insecurity and a sense of victimization. No good can come from perpetuating this biased and paranoid point of view, it only makes people more insecure and merely reinforces the inferiority complex.

IMHO it is far better to live in the present with an eye on the future instead of wasting time by living in the past at the expense of the future.

Cheers.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
IT cos upset over US visa screening

BANGALORE: US protectionism is assuming a new, and perhaps a more insidious and indirect, form. US consulates in the country are said to be rejecting many more business visas (B1, L1, H1) over these past few months than earlier and visa interviews are bordering on interrogations . Indian IT companies say there is also greater aggression among immigration personnel at US airports towards Indians who come to the US on valid business visas , with several professionals being even deported.

The situation has reached such a pass that IT industry body Nasscom has been forced to intervene. Nasscom has written a letter to the US ambassador in India, Timothy Roemer, raising the concerns. When contacted, Nasscom declined to give details, but said it had received complaints from member-companies and had taken the issue up "appropriately" with the US embassy in New Delhi. The letter is said to have pointed out that the firms affected are all "perfectly good companies" which have "met all guidelines" . Nasscom said it had also conveyed the matter to the Indian government. Whether it will come up in discussions with US President Barack Obama when he visits India later this week remains to be seen.

Almost every major IT company, including some US MNCs in India, is said to have experienced one or more of these problems. But few wanted to come on record for fear of being victimized. As one said, "We have not even appealed to the US consulate on visa harassment for fear we will put our entire pipeline of visas at risk."

Pratik Kumar, executive VP for HR in Wipro, said Nasscom represents the concerns of the industry and "hence what they are taking up with the authorities is an expression of concern that is prevailing across the industry".

A senior official in one of India's biggest BPO companies , who did not want her name or her company's name to be mentioned, narrated a nasty experience their employees went through. In one instance , a group of about 5-6 employees that had landed in New York to undergo 6 weeks training at a new client's location, was taken to a separate room and put through what she describes as "third-degree questioning" . "They were told they were lying, that all that was written in their documents was fake. They were told that if they signed a letter stating that the company had sent them on an illegal visa, they would be allowed to go without any adverse recording about them. Eventually, they all withdrew their application to enter the US and came back," she said.

The fact that the incident took place in a New York airport was of particular concern , the official said. "New York and others like Los Angeles have been liberal airports , unlike Philadelphia, Chicago that have been conservative ports. But now it looks like the Philadelphia attitude is spreading to the other ports of entry," she said.

In another instance narrated by a major company, a group of its young employees who went together to the US embassy in Delhi for the visa interview were put in separate rooms and asked questions like "What is your company planning?" and threatening them with a "99-year ban" on travelling to the US. "They were all denied visas," an official of the company said. Stella Nagesh, associate VP in IT company MphasiS, said the visa/immigration scrutiny had tightened significantly.

Read more: IT cos upset over US visa screening - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...reening/articleshow/6869103.cms#ixzz14I9Q9TmZ

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Indian healthcare industry hopes for collaboration with President Obama's healthcare plan

"Healthcare reforms were part of Obama's presidential campaign. With the increasing number of Americans visiting Mumbai for affordable healthcare, the industry in India is looking forward to some form of collaboration with the US," Fortis Healthcare CEO Vishal Bali said. Official figures show nearly five lakh Americans came here for cheap treatment in the last one year.

"A cardiac surgery in India costs a foreigner $13,000, including stay and travel. The same surgery in the US costs $55,000-$75,000. While a joint replacement surgery in India costs $9,500, in the US it costs $50,000. With the recent economic slowdown, people in developed countries like the US, are looking for better value for money, and India offers the best deals," said Bali.

An American patient, Misty, who is undergoing spinal surgery at Fortis hospital at Mulund, said, "When the doctors in the US said I need to undergo spinal surgery, the only option I had was a spinal fusion surgery as disc replacement was not covered under medical insurance because I am self-employed. That's when I thought of looking out for options, at a quality place at an affordable price. I researched on the Internet for almost six months and Fortis came up. My surgery would have cost $200,000 in the US, whereas I have paid $20,000 here, which includes travel, hospital stay and surgery cost."

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Pakistani Reactions - As Obama Visits India

Breaking free from hidebound mindset

Kamila Hyat
The writer is a freelance columnist and former newspaper editor
Traders based along Lahore's Hall Road, the centre of the electronics business in the city, say there has been an increase in the demand for devices that would give television-viewers access to Indian news channels, such as NDTV.
They believe the interest is sparked by President Obama's upcoming visit to India, which begins this week and will start off with a speech delivered from Mumbai's Taj Hotel. This starting point of a busy itinerary has in itself caused frowns to appear on the faces of leaders in Pakistan – who have not missed the symbolic significance of the choice of venue. The hotel was one of the places laid siege to in November 2008, during the attacks that altered much of the political reality for Pakistan.
Washington and New Delhi are convinced the attacks were carried out by the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). Top Pakistani intelligence officials have conceded that 'rogue' elements might have been involved and in Islamabad there are fears President Obama in his speech will once more make a reference to the need for Islamabad to step up the trial process of those believed to be involved. There has been frustration in both the US and India over Pakistan's hesitation to do very much against the LeT – and its leader, Hafiz Muhammad Saeed.
Like a jealous child, Pakistan remains anxious that Washington give it preference over India in terms of policy in the region. During the visit to Washington by the delegation led by Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, feverish efforts are said to have been made to persuade President Obama to also make a stop-over in Pakistan while visiting India. His agreement instead to a full-fledged visit in 2011 comes as some compensation – but ahead of this visit, concerns remains high about possible agreements on military cooperation between New Delhi and Washington, as well as cooperation in other areas.
The October 2008 deal, signed by President Bush, which gives India access to US civilian nuclear technology rankles many in Islamabad. Efforts to persuade the US to reach a similar agreement with Pakistan have floundered – in part because Washington wishes to keep up pressure on a nation it is still not convinced is doing enough to tackle terrorism. The message that Pakistan must go after groups such as the North Waziristan-based Haqqani network and the Quetta shura of Mullah Omar was strongly reiterated in Washington.
In that capital, there is also increased awareness of Pakistan's obsession with India and the impact this has on the region. It is a profound one. Most Pakistanis grow up with a strongly driven message that paints a picture of India as an enemy nation.
Woven into this tapestry is the notion of Hindus as being inherently hostile to Muslims, with the events of the 1947 Partition of the sub-continent used as background to build the evidence. All this may seem strange to many, especially those watching from the outside, but to many Pakistanis it is the undisputed reality.
At the centre of it stands the issue of Kashmir and its future. Islamabad is anxious that this be addressed by President Obama in India and attempts have been made to try and persuade him to meet with Kashmiri leaders. The death of over 100 people over the summer during violence in the Valley adds urgency to the request. But for diplomatic reasons, it seems unlikely that Obama will take up the suggestion given that it is certain to annoy his Indian hosts.
However, the matter is one that at some point in time needs to be addressed. Until that happens, the fact is that Pakistan will remain obsessed with its neighbour to the east and unable to break away from the mindset that had led to it setting up militant groups that can engage in 'jihad' against India, and by doing so make some sort of inroads against a nation militarily much more powerful than itself.
There are also other facts. Kashmir needs to be settled as a means to peace for its own people and also to enable Islamabad to see its neighbour as a nation which can, as an ally, help it combat militancy and achieve the kind of development for people crucial for efforts to remove the root-causes of terrorism.
This then is a goal that Washington needs to work towards. Its line that it wishes to steer clear of becoming embroiled in the friction between India and Pakistan, from its perspective, might be a perfectly logical one – but if it is genuinely interested in a stable region – and a troop pull-out from Afghanistan – it needs to take up the issue of how animosity between Pakistan and India prevents several key issues from being solved.
These include Pakistan's unwillingness to see Kabul as anything other than an Indian ally and it is unwilling to develop a cooperation with India that could help it rediscover some of the tolerance and sectarian harmony that has been rooted in the region through the centuries – despite periods of terrible turmoil – and which urgently needs to be found again inside Pakistan.
Formulas have been worked out for a 'settlement' in Kashmir. These need to be studied. As a starting point, Washington would do well to ask its new ambassador to Pakistan to dig out the relevant papers and examine the suggestions. As a person with degrees in history and experiences in war both in Bosnia and Iraq, Ambassador Cameron Phelps Munter would seem ideally suited to this task.

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
Obama likely to have refueling halt in Pakistan enroute to Mumbai: report

just now
Print Facebook Digg StumbleUpon Text Size
Highly placed sources in Washington have revealed that United States President Barack Obama is likely to stop over for a few hours in Pakistan on his way to India.
While Obama had announced that he would be visiting Pakistan in 2011, sources said that the pressure on the President by Pakistan for a brief stop-over was very intense and possibilities of his stopping to have a meeting solely on anti-terrorism operations could not be ruled out.
This brief stop over termed as a "refueling halt" would follow a quick hop in Kabul enroute to Mumbai on November 5.
Sources however clarified that this plan would be subject to the security environment in both Pakistan and Afghanistan.
If American security agencies in Pakistan give a go ahead then the stop over which could even be a refueling halt, could be considered where President Obama would meet with President Zardari aboard Air Force One, the US Presidential Aircraft? It is unlikely that he will proceed to Islamabad which is just a 20 minute drive.
The Chaklala Airforce base where Air Force One might land is near the garrison town of Rawalpindi and is often dubbed the Andrews Air Force Base of Pakistan.
Various scenarios are being worked out and the possible stop over is being kept highly hush hush.
Pakistan Army Chief General Ashfaq Kiyani and intelligence chief General Shuja Pasha have been taken into confidence and President Zardari is on standby for a dash to the airport in the scenario that POTUS (president of the United States) might call on the front line ally.
Bagram Air force base, a militarized airport in Afghanistan in American control is being kept ready for a brief stop over too. If Air Force One lands here on November 5th President Karzai will meet President Obama at the airstrip which is just 27 miles from the capital, Kabul.There were differing views in the White House ever since the India visit was planned. While one section believed that the India Pakistan hyphenation should continue as it gave Pakistan, a major US ally in the War on Terror, a fig leaf cover, the majority prevailing view was that it was time to delink US India relations from Pakistan.
The strategic community in the US is also largely of the opinion that India has moved beyond the restricting parameters of its South Asian neighbourhood, more comparable to its East Asian neighbours. Equating it with failed and failing nations like Pakistan and Afghanistan constricts the scope of American interaction with India.
It might be recalled that in 2000 President Bill Clinton had stopped for five hours in Pakistan on his way out from India using decoy aircraft to land there.
He addressed the people in Pakistan via PTV and had a very terse exchange with then President Pervez Musharraf. Then too, the brief Pakistan stopover had been kept under wraps till POTUS landed for security reasons much to the embarrassment of Pakistanis who had observed the American President's highly successful India leg of the tour.
Clearly such a stop over will not received very well in India. The optics cannot be missed that within a few hours of visiting Pakistan, the American president will check in into the same hotel in Mumbai where terrorists killed 163 innocent persons including four Americans. (Daily India)

ajtr

Tihar Jail
Banned
India a nascent great power, indispensable US partner: Report

India, a nascent great power, is an indispensible partner of the US and a potential counterweight to China, a Congressional report has said ahead of the visit of US President Barack Obama to India.
"Long considered a strategic backwater from Washington's perspective, South Asia emerged in the 21st century as increasingly vital to core US foreign policy interests. India, the region's dominant actor with more than one billion citizens, is often characterised as a nascent great power and "indispensible partner" of the United States, one that many analysts view as a potential counterweight to China's growing clout," the Congressional Research Service said (CRS).

In its latest report to the Congress on India, the CRS said the Obama Administration seeks to build upon the deepened US engagement with India begun by President Bill Clinton in 2000 and expanded upon during much of the past decade under President George W Bush.CRS is the independent bipartisan research wing of the US Congress, which prepares reports on various issues of interest for lawmakers.

A copy of the CRS report "India-US Relations" dated October 27 has been obtained by PTI.

"Many analysts view the US-India relationship as being among the world's most important in coming decades and see potentially large benefits to be accrued through engagement on many convergent interests," the report said.

The CRS said with the lifting of Cold War geopolitical constraints and the near-simultaneous opening of India's economy in early 1990s, the world's largest democracy has emerged as an increasingly important player on the global stage.

India dominates the geography of the now strategically vital South Asia region, and its vibrant economy, military power, pluralist society, and cultural influence have made the country a key focus of US foreign policy attention in the 21st century.

This attention is to no small degree motivated by China's longer-standing and more rapid rise, with many analysts viewing US and Indian geopolitical interests as convergent on many fronts, perhaps especially in the area of Asian power balances.

Ex-president G W Bush is credited with building on a new engagement launched by President Bill Clinton in 2000, and for more than six years the US and Indian governments have been seeking to create and sustain a substantive "strategic partnership," even as bilateral business and people-to-people contacts are flourishing, it said.

"While US-India engagement under the Obama Administration has not (to date) realised any groundbreaking initiatives as was the case under the Bush Administration, it may be that the apparently growing "dominance of ordinariness" in the relationship is a hidden strength that demonstrates its maturing into diplomatic normalcy," the report said.

"In this way, the nascent partnership may yet transform into a special relationship similar to those the United States has with Britain, Australia, and Japan, as is envisaged by some proponents of deeper US-India ties," CRS said.

As Obama heads towards India, an array of prickly bilateral issues confronts him, including differences over the proper regional roles to be played by China and Pakistan; the status of conflict in Afghanistan; international efforts to address Iran's controversial nuclear program; restrictions on high-technology exports to India, outsourcing, and sticking points on the conclusion of arrangements for both civil nuclear and defense cooperation, among others.

"Moreover, while Indian officials will present a long list of demands to their American interlocutors, they come under fire for paying insufficient attention to American interests and concerns, and for not recognizing the sometimes serious costs of appearing insensitive to same," the CRS said.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles