Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

Country flag
@sgarg I agree that we do not have a massive spy satellite constellation, but all said and done the RISAT series and the CARTOSAT series provide us with a respectable elint capacity as well..
We have intelligence sharing agreements also.

Last edited by a moderator:

shiphone

Country flag
sorry for the late reply...I was busy my job and haven't read this thread carefully since last month..

Where do you get these data ?? :confused:
such Space Mission or long distance Missile test mission would require a big space as a forbidden area to avoid any danger to the daily flights and ships.
these Notifications were published by the each nation's Government including GOI...normally Indian Notification would be announced 4-5 days ahead.

1.the authoritative source of NOTAM(notification to the Air Man) should be USA's FAA...you may find loads of NOTAM everyday
2.since every flying target would drop in the end due to the gravity, some Drop zone should be set as well. some Drop zone was in their land ,and some zone was set on the International warter ...so many nations' Maritime Administration would also publish the no-sail ban ... we often quote the notification from China MSA or Janpan Transport Department...

------------------
This time we are ahead of you, posted way point on map.
great...I just read it then....

It is advance warning to commercial ships and planes that is how Chinese keep track of our missile tests.
Indian forbiden area Notification is not our top interest at all but a coproduct... our space mission related forums are interested in the all space missions around the world and focused on the USA's NOTAM and our own nation's...when I happened to read such notification related to Indian missions, I would like to do a repost job here...

some explaination about this:
1. USA published space mission and secret missions are so frequent...but the NOTAM for their Secret mission would be very important source to study what kind of mission it is...you know, American only publish the info that she want you know... they won't say a single word about their Top secret Airforce's Space missions and Missile tests...
2. no much need to explain 'why China'...it's our business and we should pay attention to it...and China is another country that do first ,then talk or never talk ...
3. Russia has so large land span that she could conduct the most missions such as ICBM full range test Within her Land area...so the Russian NOTAM is most of no value for study and difficult to track.
4. Normally we have no difficulty to judge the Indian's NOTAM or Restricted Zone set on the sea for what mission... Indian Media would tell us ,and Indian R&D team is very enthusiastic to advertise their Achievement...what you need to do is just to filter those low quality funny report from some unqualified defence correspondent.

Last edited:

sathya

Country flag
When is the next test planned?
when are we planning to test it with our own engine?:confused:

pmaitra

GTRE is looking for a production agency for the Laghu Shakti engine : DRDO

===========================

Is this the one used in Nirbhay, or unrelated, as @Twinblade suggested?

I am confused by what is written in the image.

It says it is ingenuously designed, for UAV, and then it says it is under design and development?

Should I assume the engine used in the Nirbhay testing has not matured yet?

Also, the production agency that DRDO is looking for, will build it entirely as DRDO provides, or is DRDO looking to also share R&D with them?

Twinblade

Country flag
It says it is ingenuously designed, for UAV, and then it says it is under design and development?

Should I assume the engine used in the Nirbhay testing has not matured yet?
Last known, Laghu SHakti was for UAVs because prop driven UAVs have trouble operating at higher altitudes but it might be general disinformation spread about the engine.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
India's Nirbhay Cruise Missile To Have Turbo Fan Engine

India's long range sub sonic cruise missile, Nirbhay I will have a new small Turbo-Fan engine manufactured by the Gar Turbine Research Establishment (GTRE). "GTRE is presently ground testing an engine for the cruise missile and has not yet come up with its nomenclature. The specifications of the engine are yet to be released. GTRE is based in Bangalore and had earlier built Kaveri I engine that was to be fitted on Indian Air Force's Tejas light combat aircraft. The Kaveri program was closed as it proved to be underpowered," DRDO sources told our correspondent. Nirbhay I can be adapted for naval release by both a surface ship and submarines. It has a range of 1500 kms, weighs 1000 kgs, and its current engine is ramjet technology. It was tested successfully with all parametres matching the standards set by the DRDO in October, 2014. Four versions of Nirbhay land,ship,air and submarine would be developed and the first land attack cruise missile would be delivered in less than three years," Scientific Advisor to Defence Minister and DRDO director General Avinash Chander had earlier said after the successful test fire last year.
India's Nirbhay Cruise Missile To Have Turbo Fan Engine

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
CMWeightMax RangeTurbofanThrustVelocity
Nirbhay1000 Kg1500 Km"Manik"450 Kgf980 Kmph
Tomahawk1315 Kg1600 KmF107-WR-402316 Kgf890 Kmph

Something is not matching up!

With 134 Kgf extra thrust, and 100 Km lesser range, and 315 Kg lesser weight, the Nirbhay can manage only 90Kmph extra speed?

Velocity IMHO is understated for the Nirbhay. Won't be surprised if it turns out to be a transonic missile.

@Twinblade @Kunal Biswas @pmaitra and others...

tejas warrior

Country flag
Any idea if Nirbhay is 100% indigenous and how much it cost. Missiles like Nirbhay should be inducted in large number by India.

Can they also develop it for targeting moving targets ?

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Video of India's nuclear-capable, sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay's successful 2nd launch (17 October 2014) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur. Total duration is 2 minutes 14 seconds. The missile is from DRDO lab ADE lab in Bangalore. In the video, from 0:48 seconds onwards the missile's flight has been captured from a Jaguar deep- penetrating strike aircraft of IAF, which did the chase duties. The video is sourced from publicity materials being prepared by Indian government to showcase its missile development capabilities during Aero India 2015. It's a cleared video for public consumption.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3XJ56GIrc

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Video of India's nuclear-capable, sub-sonic cruise missile Nirbhay's successful 2nd launch (17 October 2014) from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) in Chandipur. Total duration is 2 minutes 14 seconds. The missile is from DRDO lab ADE lab in Bangalore. In the video, from 0:48 seconds onwards the missile's flight has been captured from a Jaguar deep- penetrating strike aircraft of IAF, which did the chase duties. The video is sourced from publicity materials being prepared by Indian government to showcase its missile development capabilities during Aero India 2015. It's a cleared video for public consumption.

Wow great video, missile looks stable while cruising, loving it. Hope to see tree top level flight in future tests.

Srinivas_K

Country flag

Nice video!

I think the real strength of this missile is to fly at tree top level and hit the target. Stealth improvements also will make it more invincible !

The air inlet is smoothly integrated into the design.

Last edited:

Lions Of Punjab

Country flag

Awesome Video .. one question . why was missile flying at high altitude ? Nirbhay spec says it can fly at tree top heights . i have seen Brahmos flying at low heights . Nirbhay was above clouds .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles