Nirbhay Cruise Missile Development

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Here most shocking part by Rout.

Last year, the missile performed in a similar manner and the mission was aborted mid-air after 700 seconds following which an inquiry committee led by National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) Director Shyam Chetty was set up to probe the fiasco.

“The committee had recommended to go for further trials after fixing the snags. But it seems the recommendation was not adhered to. The Nirbhay team was not ready for the fourth trial because some sub-systems and software were not foolproof. The test was, in fact, conducted in a hurry even as all software designers had advised not to go for it,” the source informed

The missile has undergone four tests in the past four years, but it is yet to perform as expected. During the first test on March 12, 2013, the missile had swerved from its path, prompting defence authorities to destroy it mid-air. The Second test on October 17, 2014 was however claimed to be a success by DRDO though the missile could not maintain low altitude as intended.

The recurring failure has put top DRDO scientists, who were pushing for the test despite shortcomings in
the system, in a tight spot. ITR authorities were tightlipped, and Director General of DRDO Selvin Christopher, who witnessed the launch, did not respond queries from Express.

lupgain

Country flag
Just look at the small turbofan which has to sustain a 0.7 mach speed at terrain hugging altitudes while sucking air out of a very small vent for a 1000 km range.

BRO we have one test successful when the missile travelled 1010 km so, that part is perfect.

Airframe --which can't have many controls like an UAV-- has to maintain pin point accuracy through many way-points while encountering different weather conditions making controllability- a big challenge.

Isn't this tech developed for BrahMos / Naag / Prithvi / Agni /Ashwin Missiles.. and i don't think miniaturization should be problem,

Navigation -- in absence of military level GPS assistance-- is probably the most difficult part in any LACM design to perfect. Here even a minute error in INS or simply a rough weather condition in route could throw a LACM miles away from its desired target.

Dude we have IRNSS our own navigation system with 2m accuracy also we already have used TERCOM (Terrain Contour Matching) & DSMAC (Digital Scene Mapping) in BrahMos,

Hard to believe that test failed due to technical failure....twice missile failed due to it's guidance system, Common it's frustrating to see we can't fix this snag,

LACM is anything but generic. It's one of the most difficult among tactical missiles to perfect. Just look at the small turbofan which has to sustain a 0.7 mach speed at terrain hugging altitudes while sucking air out of a very small vent for a 1000 km range. Airframe --which can't have many controls like an UAV-- has to maintain pin point accuracy through many way-points while encountering different weather conditions making controllability- a big challenge. Navigation -- in absence of military level GPS assistance-- is probably the most difficult part in any LACM design to perfect. Here even a minute error in INS or simply a rough weather condition in route could throw a LACM miles away from its desired target.

A LACM is more like an fully autonomous UAV with a warhead. And any country's success in developing such a system depends upon its success in field of UAVs. Right now we are at very nascent stage in development of UAVs with off-line-of-sight operations capability. And it is perfectly reflected in the causes of the failure of Nirbhay in successive tests.

For Nirbhay to be a success ADE will have to increase frequency of tests to as much as a MALE UAV would have before certification. However unlike UAV, every time Nirbhay goes into testing there will a total loss of the air frame. So funding would have to increase as well. Right now peanuts are only delivering monkeys. But it would be a grave injustice to DRDO if i don't add that with just 2% of total defense budget DRDO has often delivered more than a monkey, sometimes Stallions.

Tarun Kumar

The Pentagon's own report on Tomohawk which is the best sub sonic cruise missile in the world recommended that it be shelved for precisely its terrain hugging feature. This makes it very susceptible to winds and therefore inaccurate. Pentagon infact is going for cruise cum quasi ballistic missile called PSG which can strike any target around the world in 1 hour with single digit accuracy and cannot be intercepted. Chinese are going the same way. Infact the much vaunted Babur failed many tests and has operational range of only 500km . Pakis when announcing the range of their missiles mention peak range not operational range which is useless as missiles are rarely fired at peak range. When we have a PSG like weapon called Shaurya why waste money on Nirbhay.

Blackwater

10 yrs in making and failed what u can expect from DRDO:bounce::bounce::bounce:

on the other hand pakis inducted tomahawk version 2 extended range

baas karo yaar israel ya russia se on the self le lo

age hum peeche rah gaye ha pakiyo se

:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Is Nirbhay even needed. Subsonic missile is too useless to carry nuclear weapons. For conventional cum nuclear tactical attacks at 1500km we can build an extended version of Shaurya.
Cruise missiles are modern day war horses. We must perfect them and mass produce.

It can overwhelm and change the threat perception of adversary as he may not feel secure or defended at any stage of the investing in war making.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
“I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.”
Thomas A. Edison

Stop being drama queens.
What if they are only interested in failures as we saw in Arjuna Tank ?

This adventure is getting murkier day by day and the pace in which development in going when we all are aware of our capabilities achieving better things; there gotta be more than what meets the eye.

People usually blame forces for not accepting DRDO products but I think DRDO is an extension of corruption forces do. I think both connive to favor foreign vendors to feeds the Eco system where perks, bribes, junkets makes the whole procurement just too much attractive.

OnePunchMan

Country flag
the propulsion of missile seems fine the failure like the last time was also cited to navigation as each time it

"veered significantly off the proposed path"

maybe something wrong with the terrain tracker or inertial navigation what i dont understand why dont we fire the GPS or IRNSS versions first quickly and validate the other parameters of the missile and its performance in general instead of being stuck at the first hard question of DSMC and inertial navigation.

its like going to entrance exam and getting stuck at the first question and remain there without solving other you will definitely loose precious time and ultimately project will be delayed or killed off despite being so intelligent DRDO folks can be naive as a child just plain mismanagement and getting yourself stuck in the corner attitude .

Navnit Kundu

Pika Hu Akbarrr!!

30 Char 30 Char 30 Char 30 Char 30 Char 30 Char 30 Char 30 Char

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Isn't this tech developed for BrahMos / Naag / Prithvi / Agni /Ashwin Missiles.. and i don't think miniaturization should be problem,
Miniaturization is not a problem in general but in case of LACM which has to fly like an aircraft controllability is a challenge until perfected.

Dude we have IRNSS our own navigation system with 2m accuracy also we already have used TERCOM (Terrain Contour Matching) & DSMAC (Digital Scene Mapping) in BrahMos,
IRNSS is not yet included on board Nirbhay as far as i know. And i am reiterating, testing guidance system for a distance of 1000 Km is a challenge and will require many more tests before perfecting.

Many times Tomahawk has failed to reach its desired target and even few Kalibrs have crashed half way through, en-route to syriya.

Though i don't deny sabotage angle i don't subscribe to it entirely. There are many more reasons. I don't expect ADE to perfect LACM in three to four tests.

Pandora

Country flag
Its ok ,they need to sit and see the exact reason behind it maybe they can take a helping hand from Russia as consultation.
Per me its more of hardware issue like some rudder or wings are not deployed.

cyclops

Country flag
Miniaturization is not a problem in general but in ca
se of LACM which has to fly like an aircraft controllability is a challenge until perfected.

IRNSS is not yet included on board Nirbhay as far as i know. And i am reiterating, testing guidance system for a distance of 1000 Km is a challenge and will require many more tests before perfecting.

Many times Tomahawk has failed to reach its desired target and even few Kalibrs have crashed half way through, en-route to syriya.

Though i don't deny sabotage angle i don't subscribe to it entirely. There are many more reasons. I don't expect ADE to perfect LACM in three to four tests.
Didn't the americans shut the GPS off sometime during 2013 when one of our BrahMos tests were being held causing it to veer off course.

DRDO should completely delve into improving the guidance systems completely before even attempting the tests.
This is a very bad way to end the year.

Brood Father

Country flag
There is no accountability and becuase if that we are experiencing failure
Fire all the scientist working in Nirbhay project
10 years for a missile is very long time

Get some dynamic people not lazy fat government official

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
There is no accountability and becuase if that we are experiencing failure
Fire all the scientist working in Nirbhay project
10 years for a missile is very long time

Get some dynamic people not lazy fat government official
Fire chief for allowing defective missile to be tested. Responsibility is of top management.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles