Naval LCA Tejas

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Exactly... I'm all for Tejas but not against sensibility. Navy could only use Tejas if few Mark1A are based at A&N islands.

Question: @porky_kicker @Chinmoy @indiatester
Why don't IAF Tejas get this bulge on the back like NLCA?.. Won't that make more room for extra fuel & equipments? View attachment 41606
That 'bulge' is designed for greater visibility during landing and takeoff from SBTF and AC which is necessary in naval fighter aircraft.

Tejas MK2 aka MWF has the bulge for electronics and fuel and thus it is less pronounced than the naval version.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That 'bulge' is designed for greater visibility during landing and takeoff...
Whoa, no no no dude! In all single-seater tejas pilots are at the exact same position & height.
20158055_1470760519685058_8171890389647317266_o.jpg

The nose is lowered in navy version compared to the trainer to enhance over-the-nose visibility...

...But that bulge was originally just a covering of the second seat. Due to restructured undercarriage in NLCA, some shit have been shifted internally to use that space.

But for Tejas AF, with no such complication, it could make room for more fuel or equipments (unless it produces drag or turbulence that they'd otherwise avoid, but have to tolerate in those due to necessity).
I made a schematic diagram of this idea once, here you go;
IMG_20200114_001925.jpg

Last edited:

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
So from what I can observe.

Low weight: LCA MK 1, NLCA

Medium Weight: LCA MK2, AMCA, ORCA, TEDBF.

Heavy weight: su 30 screwdrivery and maintenance experience.

2020 to 2030 is gonna be the year of MWF fighters. And maybe after that we can go for the heavyweight league.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Whoa, no no no dude! In all single-seater tejas pilots are at the exact same position & height.
View attachment 41609
The nose is lowered in navy version compared to the trainer to enhance over-the-nose visibility...

...But that bulge was originally just a covering of the second seat. Due to restructured undercarriage in NLCA, some shit have been shifted internally to use that space.

But for Tejas AF, with no such complication, it could make room for more fuel or equipments (unless it produces drag or turbulence that they'd otherwise avoid, but have to tolerate in those due to necessity).
I made a schematic diagram of this idea once, here you go;View attachment 41610
The ORCA has a bulge for CFT. Could possibly be an extrapolation of this idea.

Jameson Emoni

some chatter news abt another N-LCA tried to land on INS Vikramadiya but misses all 3 wires and immediately took off from carrier and went back to Goa.

.... we can say it was the part of testing This capability as well :biggrin2:
Touch and go is a vital part of training and testing even for civilian pilots and aircraft.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Congrats to all engineers and designers who worked on Navy LCA Mk1. Great time to be in India aviation industry this decade:
1. MWF Aka Tejas MK2
2. TEDBF (Double Engine) for Aircraft carriers
3. ORCA: Air force - Eurofighter/Rafale category fighter
4. AMCA - 5th Gen fighter.
5. Forgot Mk1A ( coming from HAL efforts)
& also drones like rustom/aura

If TEDBF is indeed completed even around 2027 year frame, India will be institutionally self sufficient in building most type of Air fighters in future.Cmde JA Maolankar will go down as legends in India's aviation books. Only worry really is resources & backing.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Exactly... I'm all for Tejas but not against sensibility. Navy could only use Tejas if few Mark1A are based at A&N islands.

Question: @porky_kicker @Chinmoy @indiatester
Why don't IAF Tejas get this bulge on the back like NLCA?.. Won't that make more room for extra fuel & equipments? View attachment 41606
You replied you question yourself. If you look at the radome of both LCA and NLCA, you would notice the reason for the same. Radome of NLCA has been dropped with respect to that of LCA. Because of this structural change, the hump got created.
This idea has been derived from the trainer version of LCA where the instructor takes the rear seat and is positioned at a height. During landing the dropped down nose helps in a overall greater visibility for him. This idea has been carried forward to NLCA for greater visibility while approaching the deck.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
You replied you question yourself. If you look at the radome of both LCA and NLCA, you would notice the reason for the same. Radome of NLCA has been dropped with respect to that of LCA. Because of this structural change, the hump got created.
This idea has been derived from the trainer version of LCA where the instructor takes the rear seat and is positioned at a height. During landing the dropped down nose helps in a overall greater visibility for him. This idea has been carried forward to NLCA for greater visibility while approaching the deck.
Ok, that went in another direction from what I meant... Let's just forget the radome angling for a moment & consider only NP-1 & NP-2 of NLCA.
NP-2 is basically a single-seater version of the NP-1 where they removed & sealed the second pilot's seat.
4-13.jpg
What I am asking is whether it could be replicated with the IAF tejas trainer, ie, replacing the 2nd pilot's seat & making room for extra internal-fuel to enhance range?

That is why I am interesting in finding out if there is a shape-related drag penalty (of any significance). Trainer version performed some sick moves in Aero India 2019.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Ok, that went in another direction from what I meant... Let's just forget the radome angling for a moment & consider only NP-1 & NP-2 of NLCA.
NP-2 is basically a single-seater version of the NP-1 where they removed & sealed the second pilot's seat.
View attachment 41619What I am asking is whether it could be replicated with the IAF tejas trainer, ie, replacing the 2nd pilot's seat & making room for extra internal-fuel to enhance range?

That is why I am interesting in finding out if there is a shape-related drag penalty (of any significance). Trainer version performed some sick moves in Aero India 2019.
Ok... Yes, that part or the hump you are talking of could house sensors and electronics for sure. But LCA overall would not have that structure. Maybe we could se it in later versions but not in current ones. As far as testing of this model for drag coefficient is concerned, we have the test results in the LCA thread I believe which has been shared long back. It has been adequately tested.

IMO, using that hump for fuel tank purpose is not a good idea. Mig-29 does have such similiar structure which is used for sensor housing.

MonaLazy

bulge on the back
I think it is more about the drooping nose than about the hump.. A cursory reading of NLCA program reveals the drooping nose is by design.

This is further confirmed

The navalised variant of the LCA features a drooping nose to enable pilots to view the flight deck while approaching for landing

The IAF Tejas can afford the luxury of a full-fledged airstrip to land on, so this design requirement just isn't there. NLCA, on the other hand, will try and snag the second arresting cable upon each landing so absolute precision is key.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles