Naval LCA Tejas

G10

Country flag
Somewhere on quora i had read about tails aiding area ruling to reduce shock wave drag which decrease fuel consumption hence more range particularly relevant for navy fighters needing more range.
There were some drawbacks to tails too i dont remember.
Update: sorry i seem to confuse canards with tail. Horizontal tail aids in lift at take off.

Last edited:

mayfair

An extremely good feature of LCA and NLCA is that Wing Loading i.e. the total weight of an aircraft divided by the area of its wing, is quite low.

Allows for very high performance in multiple areas.
Short takeoff distances
Higher carrying capacity
Superior turn performance
High stability

among others.

Thrishul

Country flag
Any idea on the details on the Naval version of the Medium Combat Aircraft? Is there any write up on it?

Prashant12

Country flag
Navy’s trainer variant NP-1 flew for the first time 2day in Bengaluru in near complete “Standard of Preparation” with arrestor hook and a pilot controlled “Leading Edge Vortex Controller LEVCON”. Heads to SBTF Goa for further trials

Picard

Country flag
An extremely good feature of LCA and NLCA is that Wing Loading i.e. the total weight of an aircraft divided by the area of its wing, is quite low.

Allows for very high performance in multiple areas.
Short takeoff distances
Higher carrying capacity
Superior turn performance
High stability

among others.
It also allows for superior high-altitude cruise performance. However, it also means that its low-altitude performance is compromised somewhat due to increased sensitivity to air currents (forgot the exact term, sorry) and limited low-altitude speed. But since it is air superiority fighter first and foremost, that is not so much of a concern.

binayak95

Country flag
Navy’s trainer variant NP-1 flew for the first time 2day in Bengaluru in near complete “Standard of Preparation” with arrestor hook and a pilot controlled “Leading Edge Vortex Controller LEVCON”. Heads to SBTF Goa for further trials

wait, is the NP1 taking off or landing?

The air brakes are extended, which would suggest landing, yet the LEVCONs are deflected...

Confusing... anyone got any idea?

Arihant Roy

Country flag

The air brakes are extended, which would suggest landing, yet the LEVCONs are deflected...

The elevons have been deflected fully up. This has been done to disrupt the airflow over the inner portions of the wing and also act as an air brake.

scatterStorm

Country flag

Air brakes are applied first, as we can see it, its a complete touch down than the levcons were deploy to further create more drag, essentially compounding the drag created from air brakes. Also to create negative lift around levcons which I suppose are not fully deflected, they are essentially working as tail for the jet, because tail plane is also used to generate negative lift.

scatterStorm

Country flag

This will be my wallpaper for sometime now. I want to see it going one on one against a LCA of 45 Squadron.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
CANARD or lavcon increases the lift. I don't know why it is excluded from NAVY Tejas Mk2 design.

Kchontha

Country flag
Has it demonstrated arrester hook landing?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Has it demonstrated arrester hook landing?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Ya......not np1....but np2 demonstrated arrester hook landing...though not on vikramaditya

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Ya......not np1....but np2 demonstrated arrester hook landing...though not on vikramaditya
I don't think naval LCA Tejas won't go beyond being a mere test-bed.

garg_bharat

Country flag
I think there is a turn-around for LCA Tejas. IAF is now onboard and is demanding more. This obviously has an effect on Navy also.
Even in current form Mark1, LCA Navy can work effectively though its load capacity is much lower than Mig-29K. But it may have lower RCS too which may give it better penetration into enemy air space.

Advaidhya Tiwari

N-Tejas MK2 is for actual deploymen.N-Tejas M1 is a testbed to develop carrier based technologies. The technology will then be used on Tejas Mk2

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
N-Tejas MK2 is for actual deploymen.N-Tejas M1 is a testbed to develop carrier based technologies. The technology will then be used on Tejas Mk2
I dont see ntejas mk2....in deployment...
Coz both namca..and ntejas has same development time frame.......so navy will choose namca........

Advaidhya Tiwari

I dont see ntejas mk2....in deployment...
Coz both namca..and ntejas has same development time frame.......so navy will choose namca........
NAMCA has development time frame at 2030 while NMWF is 2025-26. Also, India has been using Sea Harriers which is single engine plane. So, it is wrong to say that twin engine is needed for carrier take-off. Moreover, NMWF is more fuel efficient and reasonably capable for sea operations which may make it better choice compared to NAMCA

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
NAMCA has development time frame at 2030 while NMWF is 2025-26. Also, India has been using Sea Harriers which is single engine plane. So, it is wrong to say that twin engine is needed for carrier take-off. Moreover, NMWF is more fuel efficient and reasonably capable for sea operations which may make it better choice compared to NAMCA
Bhai...we need new fighter jets for ins vishal.....which is in design stage....
Again ada says first flight of mwf in 2023....may be..
Do u belive it will be ready in 2025

Advaidhya Tiwari

Bhai...we need new fighter jets for ins vishal.....which is in design stage....
Again ada says first flight of mwf in 2023....may be..
Do u belive it will be ready in 2025
MWF is like upgrade of F18 hornet to super hornet. It will be fast as it has lot of thing derived from Tejas Mk1 with some upgrades which are the only points for time consumption

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles