Modernisation of Indian Army Infantry

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Well firstly, If the Pakistan army even attempts an invasion from the plains, it will be wiped out within a week. Even without air superiority or Naval superiority, it’s really going On a counter offensive we will need air superiority and naval superiority. The tank scenario is a slight different, while Pak had more tanks than ia did in its entirety, ia had an arguably better tank in the centurion.
Exactly... they won't try. We won't either. Both sides know this.

That's why we're prepping for a air-water showdown where they can't match our spendings... And the infantry upgradation keeps getting neglected because the money is needed elsewhere.

Last edited:

Lonewarrior

Country flag
And that's exactly why i think infantry upgradation is on noone's priority list.
It can be a viable option no doubt. But are we really doing enough in air force? Definitely navy is miles ahead compared to air-force and army, but is navy good enough?

Russia is one such example of where they don't emphasize on infantry modernization but to compensate they focus so much on artillery (rocket, missiles, guns), navy and air-force. But end of the day even that much investment proved to be insufficient for Russians. Imagine our condition

Kumaoni

Exactly... they won't. We won't either. Both sides know this.

That's why we're prepping for a air-water showdown where they can't match our spendings... And the infantry upgradation keeps getting neglected.
IMO if we do achieve decisive victory over them it will be through the ground. A good infantry supported by solid artillery and air support can cause havoc to them

Kumaoni

It can be a viable option no doubt. But are we really doing enough in air force? Definitely navy is miles ahead compared to air-force and army, but is navy good enough?

Russia is one such example of where they don't emphasize on infantry modernization but to compensate they focus so much on artillery (rocket, missiles, guns), navy and air-force. But end of the day even that much investment proved to be insufficient for Russians. Imagine our condition
Indias not an imperialistic power. It’s entirely defensive in nature

stat231

Country flag
I looked into the numbers, ignoring the older junk.

• Considering our eastern deployments, till 2035 we can deploy at best 2500 of our tanks in the west, against their to be upgraded 750 Ak-1 standard & 460 VT-4, plus 300 T-80s... not a great enough numerical edge given at present all our tanks are quite significantly outmatched techwise & we have no good plans to. Changing T-72 turrets will bring them to only T-90S level. Arjun Mark1 were competitive in 2005, not anymore. Mark1A is theoretically better but the platform itself has reached its upgradation limit. Both Ak-1 & VT-4 tech match its. It's exactly like '65s Patton-Centurion scenario.
  • Same with rifles, we have a better one in Sig on papers, but without sights it's no better than their G3 on field.
  • They're getting lots ot great mobile arty from China, more than us. Towed arty may be at a considerable weakness at present or near-future.
So yes, the best option would be as i said, ie, invest in the Navy where were already ahead... Pump money in the Sukhoi upgradation & replacing Mig-21 with Tejas Mark1A... Then wipe out their Navy & AF with our numbers while maintaining static fronts at ground. We can defend with what we got, we can't go offensive.

And that's exactly why i think infantry upgradation is on noone's priority list.
Personal opinion based on my reasoning, but I think it explains what's happening.
I have question. Why defend when you can dominate? Shouldnt our economy, manpower and tech. allow us to dictate the western front?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
IMO if we do achieve decisive victory over them it will be through the ground. A good infantry supported by solid artillery and air support can cause havoc to them
Post 2040 maybe... Crushing the PAF & PN should do the job for now. Then take a few kilometres & ceasefire.

I have question. Why defend when you can dominate? Shouldnt our economy, manpower and tech. allow us to dictate the western front?
We can't. Not right now. It'll take atleast another decade, maybe two.
If Indians were less obsessed with POK & actually gave a flying fuck about Paki hindus like they constantly claim to do, we could try & secure this...

Hindu_Proportion_by_Pakistani_District_-_2017_Census.svg.png

Last edited:

Kumaoni

Post 2040 maybe... Crushing the PAF & PN should do the job for now. Then take a few kilometres & ceasefire.
Those few KMs need to be in the following areas:
1. Nadala enclave
2. Ikhni Nala
3. Haji Pir bludge
4. neelam valley/ bugina bulge
5. Infiltration routes in Kupwara

that’s all the land we really need from them to gain tactical advantage As they have numerous infiltration points

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Those few KMs need to be in the following areas:
1. Nadala enclave
2. Ikhni Nala
3. Haji Pir bludge
4. neelam valley/ bugina bulge
5. Infiltration routes in Kupwara

that’s all the land we really need from them to gain tactical advantage As they have numerous infiltration points
My point exactly. 👍 Small doable stuff after IAF is freed up & has air-superiority, with their ports soundly blockaded. Then the tech different on ground will matter less.

Anyways the point being, not many NVGs & gun-sights coming anytime soon.

Kumaoni

My point exactly. 👍 Small doable stuff after IAF is freed up & has air-superiority, with their ports soundly blockaded. Then the tech different on ground will matter less.
The only thing we need to do on the ground is the following:
1. Destroy any Pakistani offensive into India
2. Engage the Pakistan army and launch very very limited offensives to keep the Pak army’s reserves spread out while the Paras and crack units take key strategic points in Kashmir (to take down terrorism), once that task is complete, we can declare a ceasefire

Air superiority is everything. It’s how Americans won all their engagements.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Engage the Pakistan army and launch very very limited offensives to keep the Pak army’s reserves spread out while the Paras and crack units take key strategic points in Kashmir (to take down terrorism), once that task is complete, we can declare a ceasefire
That's the pickle. The same thing will happen to us in any offensive with our present numero-technological status. Both sides have had decades to dig-in.

Jet packs may not be the prioritisation necessity, but the jets are. Infantry will come last.

abingdonboy

Country flag

We can't. Not right now. It'll take atleast another decade, maybe two.
If Indians were less obsessed with POK & actually gave a flying fuck about Paki hindus like they constantly claim to do, we could try & secure this...

View attachment 218451
Good luck with that- between splitting up to cover 2 land borders and chronic eroding of conventional strength the Indian armed forces on a battlefield level don’t have enough to overwhelm the Pakis by any stretch- IAF and IA. Pakis have more than enough decent hardware to put poverty spec IA/IAF under stress

IN is obviously the outlier here but enforcing a blockade will be about their only contribution- perhaps unsustainable in the long term and they only work long term.

IA/IAF seem to be too intimidated to create a conventional disparity between them and their Paki peers.

anyway pakis are put to bed. The status quo is what will be cemented. Only those that want to engage in copium will talk about Pakistan instead of China in this context now. Here Indian generals seem to have given up the idea of parity before even attempting. IAF investing more in SAMs and AD than fighter jets in the last 15 years says it all.

Country flag
This is why I fap to past glory.

There is no future glory.
Not unless we actually get a kick in the balls so that these absolute retards at the top get a wake-up call. As fucked up as it sounds, we need to lose a standoff desperately or at least get humiliated so that the politicians will have public outrage to answer to and babus become forced to retire. The proverb "युद्ध कालेषु शास्त्र अभ्यास।" is perfectly befitting of the current state of the armed forces.

Spadex

Country flag
These videos are 3-4 years old. And I only see the new helmets.

FYI I don't watch Republic but I like this series.

The new helmets are only provided to priority regiments. We have 7 lakh active personnel & only 2 lakh of these new helmets.

@Kumaoni the tweet you shared of 62 RR as of 2023 actually has 2022 written on its bottom. But it's actually one of the stock images you see 1st on searching RR on Google.

Only stupid people will get annoyed that a 16 Tillion $ economy has a better equipped infantry than a 3 Trillion $ economy, with a larger population.
"FYI I don't watch Republic" what are you ashamed of republic or something 😂.

As far as helmet goes, soldiers simple reverted back to patkha. MKU ACH is not in short supply in RR bur they like patkha more that's it.

'Only stupid people will get annoyed that a 16 Tillion $ economy has a better equipped infantry than a 3 Trillion $ economy '

Army of a Million dollar economic have far better PPE when compared to IA, our infantry soldiers who are not in frontline still uses British IA surplus tin helmet from World war era.

Ask any general the difference between a vest and plate carriers he'll laugh it off simple because they don't know about it nor they want to know because indian jawans are expandable.

Take Kargil as an example , soldiers were dyeing in incomprehensible numbers while top order of army and airforce were fighting each other for medals

Kumaoni

As far as helmet goes, soldiers simple reverted back to patkha. MKU ACH is not in short supply in RR bur they like patkha more that's it.

'Only stupid people will get annoyed that a 16 Tillion $ economy has a better equipped infantry than a 3 Trillion $ economy '

Army of a Million dollar economic have far better PPE when compared to IA, our infantry soldiers who are not in frontline still uses British IA surplus tin helmet from World war era.

Ask any general the difference between a vest and plate carriers he'll laugh it off simple because they don't know about it nor they want to know because indian jawans are expandable.

Take Kargil as an example , soldiers were dyeing in incomprehensible numbers while top order of army and airforce were fighting each other for medals
Well the Kargil terrain was such that a casualty ratio of 5:1 was to be expected in favour of pakis and 10:1 to dislodge them. It was really the arty followed by YO command from 2 Lt to Brig. which saved the asses of India from another humiliation in its 1000 years of humiliations.

Also more fighting took place in Kashmir during that conflict which Indians have no clue about as Indians don’t like reading to their own history

RedHood108

Country flag

I think the volume matters thought.

We can compare the PPE of Indian Army with million dollar economics. But is the volume of soldiers those countries have to equip similar compared to us ? That's a big issue.

To be honest if I was in a position to decide. I would have equiped every Indian soldiers like this.
20-07-36-Fq0kQjOaMAAFyHb.jpg

20-11-34-FpR22PsacAYjcvF.jpg
Japanese-Indian-Troops-Train-Together-at-Ex-Dharma-Guardian.jpg

indian-army-and-japan-ground-self-defense-force-conducting-v0-4823cyzucvja1.jpg

I know there can be more optimal setup. But this one just seems realistically achievable.

Last edited:

mcpo117

Country flag
I think the volume matters thought.

We can compare the PPE of Indian Army with million dollar economics. But is the volume of soldiers those countries have to equip similar compared to us ? That's a big issue.

To be honest if I was in a position to decide. I would have equiped every Indian soldiers like this.
View attachment 218482
View attachment 218483View attachment 218485
View attachment 218484

I know there can be more optimal setup. But this one just seems realistically achievable.
If Babus are buying small number of these show off kits for international exercises then Babus clearly understand the importance and concept of modern soldiers' PPE. But why Babus won't make these kits standard issue? Like what the actual fcuk???

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles